GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 06 Dec 2019, 11:02

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Percentage increase/decrease- WHAT should be the denominator??

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Math Expert
V
Percentage increase/decrease- WHAT should be the denominator??  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jan 2019, 05:54
OK, so at many times we get confused between what should be the base or denominator when we are looking for a % increase or a % decrease. I had few students asking this through PMs and seen few on the forum with the same query.

You choose the wrong one and you will still find your answer in the choices as the test makers are looking for you to commit these mistakes

So, choosing the correct denominator is very important. It may be a very easy thing for a person who is thorough with % problems and on other hand it may be a very taxing job for someone else.

When we are looking at such question, a simple rule would be to see what comes after THAN and almost everytime you should be correct.

(I) R is what % less than T.
So, we have T after THAN, thus T becomes the denominator or the BEFORE value and R becomes the AFTER value..
% decrease = \(\frac{before-after}{before}*100=\frac{T-R}{T}*100\) .

(II) Say, now the question read - T is what % more than R
So, we have R after THAN, thus R becomes the denominator or the BEFORE value and T becomes the AFTER value..
% increase = \(\frac{after-before}{before}*100=\frac{T-R}{R}*100\) .

A question on the same concept

The number of television sets sold by Store R last month was approximately what percent less than the number of television sets sold by Store T last month? ( The number of television sets sold by Store R was 20 and number of television sets sold by Store T was 45 as per the attached figure)

A) 40%

B) 56%

C) 86%

D) 95%

E) 125%

so simplify it -
R is what % less than T
so T is after THAN and becomes BEFORE and R becomes AFTER.

Now we are looking for % less = \(\frac{Before-After}{Before}*100=\frac{45-20}{45}*100=\frac{2500}{45}=55.55\)% or ~56%

But say you took the other way \(=\frac{45-20}{20}*100=\frac{2500}{20}=125\)% .. AND the wrong answer is there in the choice.
so be careful

I would add more examples with a slight different wordings slightly later
Percentage increase/decrease- WHAT should be the denominator??   [#permalink] 29 Jan 2019, 05:54

Percentage increase/decrease- WHAT should be the denominator??

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics