Last visit was: 26 Jul 2024, 17:09 It is currently 26 Jul 2024, 17:09
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
   1  ...  6   7   8   9   10  ...  19   
Personal MBA Coach Founder
Status:Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting from a Wharton graduate - Helping applicants get into top global business schools since 2008
Affiliations: Wharton, MIT
Own Kudos [?]: 362 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Overall Client Admit Rate: 96%
Send PM
Status:Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting from a Wharton graduate - Helping applicants get into top global business schools since 2008
Send PM
Send PM
Send PM
Re: Personal MBA Coach Updates [#permalink]
Expert Reply
This year, the MIT Sloan School of Management MBA application remains the same as the previous cycle. Again, the school requests that applicants submit a cover letter, organizational chart and 60-second video statement as part of their application.

Below, please find this year’s 2020-2021 application deadlines along with Personal MBA Coach’s advice on how to tackle the MIT Sloan application.

MIT Sloan’s 2020-2021 MBA Application Deadlines:

Round 1: October 1, 2020
Round 2: January 19, 2021
Round 3: April 12, 2021

MIT Sloan Cover Letter:

MIT Sloan seeks students whose personal characteristics demonstrate that they will make the most of the incredible opportunities at MIT, both academic and non-academic. We are on a quest to find those whose presence will enhance the experience of other students. We seek thoughtful leaders with exceptional intellectual abilities and the drive and determination to put their stamp on the world. We welcome people who are independent, authentic, and fearlessly creative — true doers. We want people who can redefine solutions to conventional problems, and strive to preempt unconventional dilemmas with cutting-edge ideas. We demand integrity and respect passion.

Taking the above into consideration, please submit a cover letter seeking a place in the MIT Sloan MBA Program. Your letter should conform to a standard business correspondence, include one or more examples that illustrate why you meet the desired criteria above, and be addressed to the Assistant Deans of Admissions, Rod Garcia and Dawna Levenson (300 words or fewer, excluding address and salutation).

Those applicants wondering how to get into MIT Sloan should keep in mind that the MIT cover letter requires quite a different approach from other MBA application essays. Candidates really need to reflect on their most significant accomplishments here and make it clear what they will bring to the table once they arrive at Sloan.

We actually advise Sloan MBA candidates to approach this cover letter as they would any professional cover letter. Ask for a place in the MIT Sloan class and tell the reader who you are. This is not the time to repeat your resume but, as with any cover letter, provide greater depth to your character and accomplishments. With such a short length, you will need to choose each word carefully and select the most compelling stories to tell. Think about MIT’s values as you write this letter and consider instances where you exhibited innovative thinking and leadership.

Finally, note SPECIFICALLY how you will bring this experience to the MIT Sloan MBA program and how you will use it to create meaningful contributions within the community.

MIT Sloan Video Statement:

In addition to the cover letter, Sloan asks candidates to complete a video statement: Applicants are required to upload a 1 minute (60 second) video as part of their application. In your video, you should introduce yourself to your future classmates, tell us about your past experiences, and touch on why MIT Sloan is the best place for you to pursue your degree.

Videos should adhere to the following guidelines:

- No more than 1 minute (60 seconds) in length
- Single take (no editing)
- You should be speaking directly to the camera
- Do not include background music or subtitles

For the video component of your MIT Sloan MBA application, it is most important to be yourself. This is a chance for admissions committee members to evaluate applicants’ physical presence and delivery. Additionally, it provides an opportunity to learn more about you both personally and professionally.

Keep in mind the direct request to address why MIT Sloan is a good fit. For this section of the video, candidates should be specific, thinking about particular aspects of the MBA program that appeal to them. With a lot to cover in one minute, be sure you strike a careful balance between talking about yourself and explaining your desire to attend MIT Sloan.

While you do not want to memorize the video statement and sound overly rehearsed, we do advise candidates to write out a rough script in advance of filming and to practice multiple times!

Consider factors such as audio quality, demeanor, and fluency in addition to the content itself. Personal MBA Coach includes analyses of sample videos in its comprehensive packages.

Organizational Chart:

Please upload an organizational chart which outlines the internal structure of your department and company. Limit to two pages.

Note: You may choose to create your own document or redact individuals' names. However, please provide as much information as possible.

We should be able to see your line of reporting to the top of your organization, and to easily find you, your peers, your supervisor, their peers, and your direct reports (should you have any), as well as any recommender or references from your current organization. For those in consulting, please submit an organizational chart of a current or previous project you were staffed on.

Click here to view a sample organizational chart.

There is no right or wrong format for the organizational chart. The key is that is it easy to follow and understand and shows your direct reports (if any) and who you report to. Most companies should have a chart that you can work from.

Are you looking for help with your MBA Applications? Personal MBA Coach is willing to be your guide. Founded by a Wharton and MIT graduate, we regularly help applicants navigate their applications each year. We also conduct mock interviews with former M7 interviewers on our team.

Personal MBA Coach has been guiding candidates through all aspects of the MBA application process for 13 years with a 96% success rate. Call us today at +1 617-645-2424 or email scott@personalmbacoach.com for a free consultation on your profile along with how we can help make your MBA dreams a reality!

You may also like these other blog posts:

How to Write Winning MBA Application Essays

How to Maximize Your Chance for an MBA Scholarship

How To Ensure Your MBA Letters of Recommendation Shine
Send PM
Expert Reply
Once again, Kellogg School of Management asks applicants to answer two essay questions. This year, Kellogg is minimizing changes and keeping both essays the same as the previous application cycle.

Read Personal MBA Coach’s Kellogg essay analysis below for key tips on tackling this year’s questions for the full-time MBA program for the class of 2023.

The 2020-2021 Kellogg MBA application deadlines are as follows:

Round 1: September 16, 2020
Round 2: January 6, 2021
Round 3: April 7, 2021

Both of these MBA application essays are fairly broad, giving candidates the opportunity to reflect on and discuss multiple aspects of their candidacy. However, remember to strive for quality over quantity when crafting your essays. With a 450-word limit for each, your responses should be particularly succinct.

Kellogg’s 2020-2021 MBA Application Essays:

“This is your chance to tell us why you think Kellogg is the right place for you. As you get started, remind yourself of the experiences that led you here and how they have shaped where you want to go.”

Essay 1: Kellogg’s purpose is to educate, equip and inspire brave leaders who create lasting value. Provide a recent example where you have demonstrated leadership and created value. What challenges did you face and what did you learn? (450 words)

Essay 2: Values are what guide you in your life and work. What values are important to you and how have they influenced you? (450 words)

Essay 3 (MMM Applicants Only): The five core values of the MMM Program are Curiosity, Creativity, Empathy, Open-mindedness, and a Learning Mindset. Describe a situation in which you demonstrated one of these values. Why is this value an important part of the MMM experience for you? (250 words)

Additional Information: If needed, use this section to briefly describe any extenuating circumstances (e.g. unexplained gaps in work experience, choice of recommenders, inconsistent or questionable academic performance, etc.).

Personal MBA Coach’s MBA Essay Writing Tips:

Essay 1: Kellogg’s purpose is to educate, equip and inspire brave leaders who create lasting value. Provide a recent example where you have demonstrated leadership and created value. What challenges did you face and what did you learn? (450 words)

Many candidates are likely to share a professional story to answer this first prompt. However, strong leadership examples in your extracurricular activities could also work well here. Keep in mind the request for a recent example when developing your response to this first application essay.

Be sure to think of a significant undertaking where you can clearly demonstrate the value you added. This story should also be easy enough to explain that you do not have to waste too many words setting up the situation. A strong essay will discuss the actions you took and try to show how these actions required you to demonstrate bravery and leadership.

Equally as important as what you did is what you learned from this experience. Learnings should be specific. Ideally, you would also mention how you have carried these learnings forward to future endeavors. A strong answer here will not only demonstrate leadership experience but also highlight your strengths and specific skills.

Essay 2: Values are what guide you in your life and work. What values are important to you and how have they influenced you? (450 words)

This second Kellogg MBA essay is a challenging one as it forces candidates to reflect on what truly drives and motivates them. Authenticity will be key when developing your answer to this question.

Admissions committee members want passionate students and well-rounded classes. So do not simply tailor your answer to what you think admissions committee members want to hear (a common MBA application misconception). Instead, you should write about the values that you have repeatedly demonstrated throughout your life.

For each value selected, discuss WHY this value is important to you and show HOW you have integrated this value into your life. While I do not advise a laundry list, you should include more than one value in your response.

Candidates should also include some personal detail so that the reader can better understand how this value has influenced their actions, beliefs, and aspirations. It is particularly crucial that you have someone who knows you well read through this essay to ensure it is authentic. Of course, this is a good idea for all essay questions.

Essay 3 (MMM Applicants Only): The five core values of the MMM Program are Curiosity, Creativity, Empathy, Open-mindedness, and a Learning Mindset. Describe a situation in which you demonstrated one of these values. Why is this value an important part of the MMM experience for you? (250 words)

This third question should be answered only by applicants to Kellogg’s MMM program. For those unfamiliar with the MMM program, it is a dual degree program offering graduates both an MBA from Kellogg and an MS in Design Innovation from the Segal Design Institute at the McCormick School of Engineering and Applied Science.

For this essay, select just one value. The value you select is less important than the accompanying story. With only 250 words both to tell the story and tie it to Kellogg’s MMM program, pick a story that is easy to explain. Be sure you can show the reader how you lived this value, clearly explaining your actions. Finally, help the reader to understand why this value matters to you and how it will shape your MMM experience. This is a lot to cover so choose your words carefully.

Video Essay Questions:

“Show us the person behind all those carefully crafted words. The video will be comprised of three questions, each designed to help you showcase your personality and share some of the experiences that brought you here today.”

Finally, the Kellogg video essay questions remain from the previous year as well. This component of the application offers admissions committee members the chance to learn more about you on a personal level.

Once you submit your Kellogg application, you will be asked three questions, with 20 seconds to think about the question and up to one minute to answer:

One question will be an opportunity to introduce yourself to the Kellogg team.
    The second question will ask about your plans for the future and how Kellogg will help you on that journey.
    The third question will focus on a challenging moment in your life and what you learned from it. (Personal MBA Coach collects past questions to advise our clients on what they might expect).

Read our MBA application tips for handling videos and other application extras here.

Are you looking for help with your MBA Applications? Personal MBA Coach is willing to be your guide. Founded by a Wharton and MIT graduate, we regularly help applicants navigate their applications each year. We also conduct mock interviews with former M7 interviewers on our team.

Personal MBA Coach has been guiding candidates through all aspects of the MBA application process for 13 years with a 96% success rate. Call us today at +1 617-645-2424 or email scott@personalmbacoach.com for a free consultation on your profile along with how we can help make your MBA dreams a reality!

Check out these blogs for additional MBA admissions consulting advice:

How to Get into Harvard Business School

How to Get into Wharton MBA

Getting into Columbia Business School
Send PM
Expert Reply
Some of the most frequent questions I get from applicants are: What does a successful candidate profile look like or how did X get accepted into so many schools?

Naturally, there are countless answers to these questions, but in response to applicant demand, I post Candidate Success Stories from time to time.

Below I have shared a deep dive into one recent success, including a Q&A with the candidate to shed some light on the process that I take with my clients, and share lessons this candidate has graciously offered to pass on.

Find out how this candidate was accepted to 5 top schools and secured $70K in scholarships.

Profile Overview

Schools Admitted To: Berkeley Haas (w/ Scholarship), UVA Darden, Michigan Ross (w/ Scholarship), USC Marshall, and Texas McCombs

Scholarship: $70K

Years of Experience: 7

GRE: 315-320

Pre-MBA Experience: Non-profit education management

Education: Top 40 Private College

GPA: High 3’s

Candidate Q&A

Personal MBA Coach: Why did you decide to pursue an MBA?

Candidate: I decided to pursue my MBA because I wanted to further accelerate my career and career opportunities while making a greater impact in the industry that I have been in. I’ve worked on the management side of schools for the last 7 years and I have seen how technology can play a positive impact on learning. In order to pivot from the non-profit school side to the for-profit technology side of that relationship, I needed the skills learned in an MBA program. Further, I want to continue to develop my leadership skills and ability to lead people and an MBA program would help me get there.

Personal MBA Coach: How did you learn about Personal MBA Coach?

Candidate: I met Personal MBA Coach at the annual Forté conference. We learned through a number of interactions after the conference that we had a lot in common and similar working styles. Throughout this process, I wanted someone who I could get guidance and structure from that I knew would always be in my corner, and that was Personal MBA Coach and the team.

Personal MBA Coach: Why did you decide to turn to Personal MBA Coach for help?

Candidate: I decided to turn to Personal MBA Coach because I knew I needed support and structure in order to get through the MBA application process. From studying and taking the GRE, to writing essays, to coordinating recommendations, there is so much to do. Personal MBA Coach supported me by breaking down these tasks into manageable steps and suggesting what expectations I should have for myself in order to get there. It made a very daunting process much more doable.

Personal MBA Coach: What was the hardest part of the application process?

Candidate: Testing has never been a strength of mine, so that was far and away the hardest part. As noted above, Personal MBA Coach did a great job in laying out what needed to be done on my end in order to reach my goal. They also gave tips on how to study while also managing a full-time job.

In the end, through a significant amount of work on my end as well as sessions with Personal MBA Coach’s team, my score on the GRE increased about 12 points from my initial practice test. I’m so appreciative of the support I received on what was the most difficult part of the application process for me!

Personal MBA Coach: How did you decide which schools to apply to?

Candidate: For me, coming from a “non-traditional” background, I wanted to make sure I was in an environment where my experience was valued and I could continue to explore those interests. I also knew that I needed to have schools with different selectivity ranges as well as a limited number since admit rates are so low and there is not a “common application” for business school. I was pretty meticulous about this part of the process because I did not want to apply to a school “just because” as I knew schools were also looking at fit on their end. I whittled down my school list by attending many events for schools and conducting my own research. With that said, I had a pretty clear list going into writing my applications. However, Personal MBA Coach gave great suggestions on my list that I did not think of. In fact, one of the schools Personal MBA Coach suggested I add was one that I later got into and was considering in my final decision.

Personal MBA Coach: What was the biggest surprise for you throughout the application process?

Candidate: I am seeing this now as I am in pre-term at Berkeley Haas, but every step of the application process will actually help you as you start school. If you had a strong application and put in the work, you will have a clear direction of activities you would like to engage with at your school. You will have the opportunity to practice your interviewing skills, which is an art in itself. You even will use the math from the GRE and GMAT for your data and economics classes (seriously!). Though it is a massive undertaking, there are so many benefits of the process by how reflective it is and how it sets you up for success in the future.

Personal MBA Coach: How did Personal MBA Coach help you?

Candidate: Beyond the previously mentioned work around GRE studying, I think it was so helpful to have Personal MBA Coach’s support around my essays. Though I consider myself a solid writer, it was unbelievably helpful to have someone look at my writing objectively, as an admissions officer does not know me beyond what is written on my application. Even if I gave my essay for feedback to my family, they have subjective knowledge about a circumstance that they can easily fill in on their own. Having that extra set of eyes for clarity took my writing to the next level.

In addition, during the lead up to submitting my applications to graduate school, I went through a very challenging work situation and Personal MBA Coach’s team was unbelievably patient and supportive during that time.

Personal MBA Coach: Do you have any final pieces of advice for prospective candidates?

Candidate: I realize there is so much weight in business school media around having a great GMAT/GRE score, to a point where it can be unhealthy for many individuals. Others can get so focused on the test that they lose sight of the rest of their application or become timid to submit an application to their “dream school.” As someone who has been through the process and now attending my “dream school,” I know this: You are more than a number. Though it may sound trite when admissions officers say it, it really is a holistic process to evaluate an application. They are looking for a fit on so many levels. Focus on making sure that you present your best self in all facets of your profile. Though having solid test scores is important, the right school will see you for you.

Further, never let anyone tell you “no” or hold you back on where you apply if the school is a good fit for your goals. Personal MBA Coach never told me “no” and we had a very successful outcome at the end of the day. I am going where I wanted to go.

Take a look at these blog posts for MBA application assistance:

MBA Application Resume Tips

MBA Essay Writing

MBA Interview Preparation
Send PM
Expert Reply
Every year, we hear from well-intentioned MBA candidates hoping to submit their applications in time for round 1 deadlines that fell short of this objective. There are numerous reasons for candidates to forgo a round 1 application submission in favor of round 2. In fact, in some years we have more applicants during round 2 than round 1.

Many candidates will submit during the second round of MBA application deadlines to allow time to increase their GMAT/GRE/Executive Assessment scores. Other MBA hopefuls are hoping to finish up a key project at work or secure a promotion before submitting their MBA application essays. Some MBA applicants did not make a decision to apply to business school in time. These are all valid reasons to apply during round 2.

However, far too often, MBA hopefuls at top business schools simply fail to finish their MBA essays in time. Many procrastinate and do not start on time. Others put their essays on the back burner when work deadlines take priority. Finally, many candidates simply are afraid to pull the trigger. They do not know if and when their applications are complete.

Regardless of the driver of your delay, do not worry! Most applicants are just as successful (if not more so) during round 2. Personal MBA Coach is here to help construct your MBA application timeline. Just because you are planning to hit submit in January, does NOT mean it is a good idea to put your essays aside. Instead, it is time to develop a plan and kick it into high gear. We find the best applicants work now and do not rush anywhere near deadlines.

Round 2 deadlines are under four months away.

While many of our round 2 clients are well into the MBA application process, those who are just getting started can stay on track with our 4-month MBA application timeline. Following a structured plan will help save you from added stress in the future.

Need a more customized timeline? Personal MBA Coach has a strong track record of guiding clients through their individual circumstances.

Month 1 (September):

• Maximize your GMAT/GRE score.

The clock is ticking, so finalize those plans now to get where you want to be for your target schools. We offer customized tutoring to help you!

• Create your business school resume.

Did you know that your business school resume differs from your professional one? If not, now is the time to make the necessary customizations to be MBA ready. For more resume help, check out these tips!

Month 2 (October):

• Solidify your personal story.

Having trouble getting started on your MBA essays? Ask yourself: What is my story and how can I articulate my goals? A clear personal story and well-articulated career goals serve as a basis for a strong essay. Once you emphasize what makes you unique, you can construct a stronger narrative for why an MBA is essential for reaching career success.

• Finalize strong recommenders.

If you need help finding people that will best communicate your strengths, you can read our blog on selecting your MBA application recommenders.

• Draft your essays.

The sooner you start writing, the more you will be able to perfect your essays later! We always advise starting essays well ahead of deadlines and finishing at least a few weeks ahead to ensure that you stick to your MBA application timeline.

Month 3 (November):

• Edit your essays.

You will have to go through multiple drafts before you submit, so make sure you have enough time to focus on this step! If you are having trouble cutting excess words to meet a word count, take a look at our tips on writing more with fewer words.

• Schedule time to network.

Alumni and current students are great resources to learn more about the schools you are applying to. Talking with them will make it easier to craft targeted applications that stand out. While more information about a school is good, make sure to not go overboard with this!

Month 4 (December):

• Fill out your applications.

Do not overlook the short answer questions. These questions not only allow you to share additional aspects of your candidacy but are a test of consistency and cohesion. Be sure to allocate enough time to craft precise and focused answers that paint a clear image of who you are as a candidate.

• Check for errors.

If you have followed this MBA application timeline, you should not have to do any major work in the last weeks before submission. Having a second or third reader can be helpful in catching last-minute typos and other small mistakes that you may have missed.

For more MBA application guidance, take a look at these blog posts:

How to Write a Business School Application Essay

MBA Application Assistance: Top Misconceptions

How to Answer MBA Essay Questions: MBA Goals
Send PM
Expert Reply
Back in March, Personal MBA Coach discussed a number of ways that COVID-19 would affect the MBA application process. Now more than six months later, the virus is still impacting MBA hopefuls. From canceled campus visits and remote interviews to online GMAT/GRE testing, coronavirus has reshaped the traditional MBA application process.

However, this is still a great time to apply for your MBA and business schools throughout the world have responded quickly, many extending MBA application deadlines and implementing hybrid learning plans. Some schools, including Harvard Business School, even offered all MBA candidates planning to attend this fall the option to defer for one or two years.

A new major modification we’ve seen in response to coronavirus is MIT Sloan School of Management’s decision to go test-optional.

Taking into account the complications that the pandemic has presented regarding testing, MIT Sloan has now announced the following:

“The GMAT and GRE are components of the application process and play an important role in our holistic evaluation process. However, in view of challenges brought about by the coronavirus pandemic, we will allow candidates for the 2020-21 admission cycle to submit their application without the test and review their submitted material as is and without negative inferences. If admitted, candidates will not be required to take a test.

Additionally, applicants are welcome to submit other pieces of evidence, such as expired test scores (GMAT, GRE, EA, etc.); MITx MicroMasters, CORe, edX, MBAMath, or any other non-degree coursework completed; or certifications earned such as CPA, ACCA, CFA, etc; all of which may assist the Admissions Committee in its evaluation process.”

These changes recognize the difficulties that MBA hopefuls may have faced accessing viable testing options. From technical difficulties to household distractions, online testing can pose a handful of challenges. In other instances, test centers were operating at lower capacities, making it difficult to secure a spot for in-person testing.

MIT Sloan is the first M7 to go test-optional since Harvard Business School did so for a duration of 11 years, beginning in 1985.

While MIT Sloan’s announcement means that 2020-2021 applicants DO NOT have to submit a GMAT or GRE score as a part of their application, the school still encourages those who with test scores to share them (even if they are expired):

“If you have a valid or expired test score, please include that as part of your application. We will consider both expired and valid test scores for the 2020-21 admission cycle.”

MIT Sloan’s decision to go test-optional is a reflection of the many ways that MBA programs are working to make accommodations for current and prospective students.

However, despite this flexibility, in most cases, if you are in a position to take the GMAT or GRE, Personal MBA Coach recommends that you do! In most circumstances, submitting a test score will work in your favor. This is especially true if you have a lower GPA or weaker quantitative background. In such scenarios, a strong GMAT or GRE school will be crucial to prove you can handle the analytical rigor of the MIT Sloan MBA Program.

If, however, you have a strong academic record and/or quantitative background and taking the GMAT/GRE is not feasible, the test-optional policy is likely welcome news and something candidates could consider taking advantage of. With the round 1 MBA application deadline approaching quickly, MIT Sloan’s policy change should make it easier for some candidates to submit in time for the October 1 MBA Application Deadline.

If you DO want to submit a test score and are still looking to improve it, Personal MBA Coach offers customized tutoring to help you! Our tutors will set up a customized schedule, create a study plan, and schedule regular meetings to help you reach your goals.

Check out these blog posts for additional MBA application help:

How to Get into MIT Sloan

How to Write a Great MBA Essay

How to Maximize Your Chance for an MBA Scholarship
Send PM
Expert Reply
Testing, testing, testing! For better or for worse, GMAT, GRE and Executive Assessment (EA) are key topics of conversation throughout the MBA application process.

Testing practices have changed drastically for 2020 MBA Applicants as online GMAT and GRE options emerged this spring. Recently, MIT Sloan introduced a test-optional policy, meaning that candidates for the 2020-2021 admissions cycle can now submit their applications without a test score.

One of the latest changes is the Graduate Management Admissions Council’s decision to allow candidates to take the online GMAT exam twice.

Starting in late September, online test-takers will have the ability to retake the online GMAT, an adaptation that reduces the restrictions of having to take the test at home.

Despite this effort to add flexibility to the online GMAT exam, the GMAC still urges candidates to take the test in person if possible:

“If test centers in candidates' locations are open and they feel safe accessing a test center facility, candidates are encouraged to do so. We are closely following local government directives to ensure the health and safety of our test-takers and test center staff. All our test centers that are currently open have enhanced safety, social distancing, and hygiene practices in place.”

Regardless of whether you are planning to take the test online or in person, you will want to make sure your study plans are in order. Whether you are just beginning and do not know where to start or you are weak in a few areas and looking to learn some new tricks, Personal MBA Coach offers customized tutoring services to help.

Our tutors will set up a schedule just for you, create a study plan, and schedule regular meetings to help you reach your goals. We conduct GMAT / GRE / Executive Assessment tutoring sessions remotely via Skype / Zoom, and we use whiteboard-sharing software so we can each draw on the screen. As with all of our services, satisfaction is guaranteed.

Your Personal MBA Coach tutor has one thing in mind: your success! The level of customization and support is unmatched and because our tutoring is boutique, just like our admissions consulting, tutors work with only a limited number of students each year. Personal MBA Coach tutors have scored in the 99th percentile on the GMAT and GRE and are graduates of MIT, Harvard, and UPenn.

Candidates often ask Personal MBA Coach what score is needed for success. While naturally this varies from school to school, it is becoming less common to see students earn admission to the top 10-20 schools with a GMAT score below 700. For the Wharton class of 2022, the average GMAT was 722 (the average GRE was 161V/161Q). For Columbia Business School, the class of 2022 average was 726. Harvard Business School reported a median GMAT score of 730 and a median GRE score of 163V/163Q for the class of 2022. We do expect scores to rise this season due to the increased competition. The GMAT / GRE scores from last application season were a bit lower as schools tried to fill vacant seats caused by COVID and visa restrictions.

Have other questions about the GMAT/GRE/EA exams? Check out this blog: Your GMAT, GRE & Executive Assessment FAQs.

Take a look at these blogs for additional MBA admissions consulting advice:

GMAT / GRE Preparation Tips

How to Ensure Your MBA Letters of Recommendation Shine

MBA Application Extras: Short Answer Questions, Optional Essays and Videos
Send PM
Expert Reply
There has never been a better time to apply to Business School!

Of course, it is no secret that the coronavirus has impacted the job market. Earlier this year, a Poets&Quants study found that 44% of MBA students graduating in 2020 had their start dates pushed back, some of these delays lasting several months.

However, the future for MBA graduates remains bright. Though work life has taken on a new form of normal, the Graduate Management Admission Council’s latest Corporate Recruiter’s Survey suggests that the demand for business school graduates is still high.

This year, GMAC collected a second round of data after the pandemic’s disruption to their earlier reports. After a brief dip, interest in hiring MBAs is already on the rise again.

Prior to COVID-19, 92% of firms indicated an intent to hire 2020 MBA graduates. While this percentage dropped to 77% in June and July, GMAC now reports that 89% of corporate recruiters plan to hire MBA graduates in the new year.

As GMAC’s research below shows, the survey projects that the percentage of recruiters looking to hire will continue to increase, reaching levels similar to pre-COVID-19.

Additionally, projected hiring in 2021 is higher than the 86% of companies that hired MBA graduates in 2019, another promising sign for MBAs.

The GMAC’s insights on MBA salary trends are also favorable. Not only are the large majority of recruiters not reducing salaries, the median base salary for the class of 2020 is projected to remain over $100,000.

The hiring of international students and interns is promising as well, particularly with the increase of remote virtual opportunities.

As the demand for business school graduates prevails, now is an excellent time to pursue your MBA. With trends already on the upturn for 2021, expectations are that the class of 2023 will graduate into an economy with plenty of job opportunities.

While the recent increase in overall unemployment levels prompted many professionals to take the plunge and apply for their MBA this fall, we know many potential applicants also put their MBA plans on hold. Unsurprisingly, the market uncertainty led many, particularly international applicants, to worry about both the logistics and the benefits of an MBA. However, given the quicker-than-expected economic rebound, now may be an ideal time to submit your MBA applications.

Round 2 is a great time to apply (for some schools, success rates are even stronger during round 2 than during round 1), and with three months until the first round 2 deadlines, the time to get started with your applications is now!

Unsure where to start? Check out this blog: Kicking Off Round 2 covering the five steps you should be taking even before beginning your MBA application essays. As you read these tips, keep in mind that while campus visits are not an option this season, there are countless virtual options available to help you narrow down your target schools.

Whether you are beginning to consider applying for your MBA or are already into the process, Personal MBA Coach is here to help!

From developing an individualized MBA application timeline to editing your essays, to boosting your test scores through our customized tutoring services, Personal MBA Coach is willing to be your guide.

Founded by a Wharton and MIT graduate, we regularly help applicants navigate their applications each year. We also conduct mock interviews with former M7 interviewers on our team.

For more MBA updates and advice, check out the following blogs:

COVID-19 GMAT/GRE/EA Testing Update

The MIT Sloan MBA Program: Now Test-Optional

5 Common MBA Application Misconceptions
Send PM
Expert Reply
Are you looking to accelerate your career growth but continue working full time? Do you have strong leadership experience and want to magnify your impact and hone your business skills?

If so, an Executive MBA (EMBA) may be the right choice to help you get ahead professionally. Whether you want to advance in your current industry, shift roles, or build a business from the ground up, an EMBA will supply you with the tools to do so.

Since EMBAs are designed for working professionals, they typically offer flexible scheduling to accommodate busy lifestyles. Nevertheless, pursuing an executive education is still a large commitment that should be given considerable thought.

While EMBA programs vary in length and required time on campus, students can easily spend 20 to 30 hours a week on assignments and projects. That said, many EMBA students in demanding professions are still able to integrate their studies into their current lives.

Top EMBA programs also vary significantly regarding pre-MBA experience requirements. For instance, Personal MBA Coach has helped applicants with four to six years of experience get into the Wharton and Columbia Business School EMBA programs. On the other hand, all of our successful MIT Sloan applicants have met the program’s minimum requirement: ten-years of experience.

Admissions requirements for EMBA programs differ in terms of testing as well. Chicago Booth’s MBA program, ranked number one in U.S. News & World Report’s 2020 Best Executive MBA Programs, requires applicants to take the EA, GMAT, or GRE. In contrast, Kellogg’s EMBA program, securing the second-place position in U.S. News & World Report’s rankings, does not require the GMAT or EA for most applicants (the GMAT is required only if applicants do not have a bachelor’s degree).

Want to learn more about top EMBA programs and which one might be right for you? Take a look at Personal MBA Coach’s latest e-book, 2020-2021 EMBA Programs: Deadlines, Details & Requirements, and let us help you gain admission at your dream school!

Whether an MBA, EMBA, part-time MBA, or graduate program seems like the best fit for you, Personal MBA Coach is here to guide you through the process.

Founded by a Wharton and MIT graduate, we regularly help applicants navigate their applications each year. We also conduct mock interviews with former M7 interviewers on our team.

Personal MBA Coach has been helping candidates through all aspects of the MBA application process for 13 years with a 96% success rate. Call us today at +1 617-645-2424 or email scott@personalmbacoach.com for a free consultation on your profile along with how we can help make your MBA dreams a reality!

You may also be interested in the following blogs:

The MBA Job Market Bounces Back

Interview with Personal MBA Coach Founder, Scott Edinburgh

Harvard Business School, Wharton, Chicago Booth & Yale SOM Admit With $244K Scholarship
Send PM
Expert Reply
Are you looking for an MBA program with a small class size and close-knit community? If so, Berkeley Haas may be a great choice for you.

With around 300 students enrolled in each entering class, Berkeley Haas is one of the smallest top full-time MBA programs.

This past application cycle, Berkeley Haas admitted applicants with an average GMAT score of 727 and an average undergrad GPA of 3.65. The class of 2022 has an average of 5.3 years of pre-MBA work experience. Records also note that 39% of students are female and 21% of students have international citizenship.

In a statement introducing the 2020-2021 Full-Time MBA application essays, Berkeley Haas shared the following:

Our distinctive culture is defined by four key principles — Question the Status Quo, Confidence Without Attitude, Students Always, and Beyond Yourself. We encourage you to reflect on your experiences, values, and passions so that you may craft thoughtful and authentic responses that demonstrate your fit with our program — culturally, academically, and professionally.

Below, please find this year’s 2020-2021 application deadlines along with Personal MBA Coach’s advice on how to tackle the Berkeley Haas MBA application essays.

Berkeley Haas Upcoming MBA Application Deadlines:

Round 2: January 14, 2021

Round 3: April 5, 2021

Berkeley Haas 2020-2021 MBA Application Essays:

Essay 1: What makes you feel alive when you are doing it, and why? (300 words maximum)

Essay 2: The definition of successful leadership has evolved over the last decade and will continue to change. What do you need to develop to become a successful leader? (300 words maximum)

Short Answer: Briefly describe your immediate post-MBA career goals (150 words maximum)

Personal MBA Coach’s Tips:

Along with the following Berkeley Haas advice, Personal MBA Coach suggests looking at our top tips on writing winning MBA application essays. Below, we have broken down Haas’s essay questions.

Essay 1: What makes you feel alive when you are doing it, and why? (300 words maximum)

With this short essay, get right to the point. While this story can be personal or professional, most candidates will be best served with a personal story. This is a chance to talk about your true passions and what really drives you. For some applicants, this may be their job but tread cautiously here.

Be sure to include both the “what” and the “why” here. While this is not the time to brag about accomplishments, an ideal answer will be something that you have done to set yourself apart. Extracurricular work also could fit well but be sure it is an area where you have emerged as a leader and/or have added substantial value. Be succinct and speak from the heart.

Essay 2: The definition of successful leadership has evolved over the last decade and will continue to change. What do you need to develop to become a successful leader? (300 words maximum)

Berkeley Haas has altered their second essay question this year but continues to press candidates to define successful leadership. Here, candidates should discuss the qualities they believe that successful leaders embody. Be specific and think about how this definition of leadership continues to change over time.

Next, think about how you personally have begun to demonstrate these characteristics. Personal MBA Coach recommends including a few short examples.

Finally, think about how you will grow as a leader at Berkeley Haas. Discuss, in detail, what classes, clubs, or programs will help you achieve your leadership objectives.

As Personal MBA Coach generally advises, you should not include a laundry list of items. Instead, focus on a few specific areas of interest, telling the reader what you will gain from each of these experiences and how you will contribute. You want to leave the reader with a vision of how your leadership style will have evolved by the time you leave campus.

Short Answer: Briefly describe your immediate post-MBA career goals (150 words maximum)

This short answer question can be found under the Personal Data section of the application. Though 150 is the maximum number of words you can write, 50-100 words may be enough here. For more information on how to approach short answer questions, take a look at our blog on application extras here.

Founded by a Wharton MBA and MIT Sloan graduate who sits on the Association of International Graduate Admissions Consultants Board of Directors, Personal MBA Coach is consistently ranked #1 or #2 by leading ranking sources. We help clients with all aspects of the MBA application process including early planning, GMAT/GRE/EA tutoring, application strategy, school selection, essay editing and interview preparation.

Our team includes former M7 admissions directors and M7 admissions interviewers. Last year, our clients earned over $5.5M in scholarships! Call us today at +1 617-645-2424 or email scott@personalmbacoach.com for a free consultation on your profile along with how we can help make your MBA dreams a reality!

For more MBA application advice and updates, check out the following blogs:

Berkeley Haas, UVA Darden, Michigan Ross, USC Marshall & Texas McCombs Admit with $70K Scholarship

Columbia Business School 2020-2021 Essay Analysis

Yale School of Management 2020-2021 Essay Analysis
Send PM
Expert Reply
Last Friday, Harvard Business School announced that Srikant Datar, the Arthur Lowes Dickinson Professor of Business Administration, will become the school’s next dean.

Harvard Business School President Larry Bacow commented that Datar is “an innovative educator, a distinguished scholar, and a deeply experienced academic leader” as well as “a warm, generous, and thoughtful colleague and mentor — someone whose leadership experience, intimate knowledge of HBS, deep devotion to the institution, and talent for catalyzing constructive change all promise to serve the School and the University well, at a pivotal moment for business education.”

Upon beginning his service on January 1, 2021, Datar will become Harvard Business School’s 11th dean in the school’s 112-year history.

Datar will succeed the school’s current dean, Nitin Nohria. Though Nohria planned to conclude his deanship this past June, he agreed to extend his position as dean through the end of December to provide stability during the pandemic.

On top of Datar’s faculty role, he has been responsible for faculty recruiting, faculty development, executive education, research, and university affairs. He has served as faculty chair of the Harvard Innovation Lab, led efforts to develop various new joint programs, and was heavily involved in transitioning to remote learning this past spring in response to COVID-19.

Learn more about Datar’s range of leadership positions over his nearly 25 years at Harvard Business School from Poets&Quants.

Though Datar will be assuming the position of dean during trying times, current dean Nohria shared that he is “confident, through the remainder of the pandemic and beyond,” that Datar “will chart an inspired course for the School.”

Provost Alan M. Garber also spoke highly of Datar, emphasizing that he “has been remarkably effective at moving HBS forward.” Garber’s commentary applies not only to Datar’s capabilities as an educator and researcher but also as a leader.

This change in leadership is promising for those looking to apply to Harvard Business School. With Datar’s broad international perspective, strong leadership experience, and commitment to building an increasingly inclusive and diverse community, Harvard Business School has a bright future.

Are you looking to apply to Harvard Business School? Take a look at our 2020-2021 essay analysis. For more customized application guidance, Personal MBA Coach is here to help!

Personal MBA Coach has been helping candidates through all aspects of the MBA application process for 13 years with a 96% success rate. Call us today at +1 617-645-2424 or email scott@personalmbacoach.com for a free consultation on your profile along with how we can help make your MBA dreams a reality!

For more MBA application advice, take a look at the following blogs:

MBA Application Timeline

Less Is More When it Comes to Writing Compelling MBA Application Essays

Common MBA Application Mistakes
Send PM
Expert Reply
For candidates who have their hearts set on relocating to (or remaining in) New York City, NYU Stern is a great option. This year, US News & World Reports ranked NYU Stern the #10 Full-time MBA program and #4 Part-time MBA program.

This past application cycle, NYU Stern admitted applicants with an average GMAT score of 723 and an average undergrad GPA of 3.60. The class of 2022 has an average of 5.2 years of pre-MBA work experience. Records also note that 43% of students are female and 32% of students have international citizenship.

Unlike many other top programs, the NYU Stern Full-time MBA has a Round 2 application deadline in November. This option is great if you missed the Round 1 deadline but prefer not to wait until January to submit everything.

The remaining NYU Stern MBA application deadlines are as follows:

Round 2: November 15, 2020

Round 3: January 15, 2021

Round 4: March 15, 2021

Please see below for Personal MBA Coach’s tips on how to answer NYU Stern’s essay questions.

NYU Stern’s 2020-2021 MBA application essays:

“Our Stern essay questions give you the opportunity to more fully present yourself to the Admissions Committee and to provide insight into your experiences, goals, and thought processes.”

Essay 1: Professional Aspirations (500 word maximum, double-spaced, 12-point font): What are your short- and long-term career goals? How will the MBA help you achieve them?

Essay 2: Personal Expression (a.k.a. “Pick Six”): Describe yourself to the Admissions Committee and to your future classmates using six images and corresponding captions. Your uploaded PDF should contain all of the following elements:

A brief introduction or overview of your “Pick Six” (no more than 3 sentences).

Six images that help illustrate who you are.

A one-sentence caption for each of the six images that helps explain why they were selected and are significant to you.

Essay 3: Additional Information (optional): Please provide any additional information that you would like to bring to the attention of the Admissions Committee. This may include current or past gaps in employment, further explanation of your undergraduate record or self-reported academic transcript(s), plans to retake the GMAT, GRE, Executive Assessment, IELTS or TOEFL, or any other relevant information.

Essay 1: Professional Aspirations (500 word maximum, double-spaced, 12-point font): What are your short- and long-term career goals? How will the MBA help you achieve them?

This first essay should be very straightforward. As with any other goal-oriented essay, you want to be specific. Include both the role you hope to have and a discussion of what you wish to accomplish in this role. Your short-term goal and your long-term goal should flow naturally (be prepared to explain if they do not).

While you do not want to repeat your resume in this essay, some brief context behind these goals would be appropriate. Include just enough detail to let the reader know where you are today so that these goals make sense.

Finally, devote a good chunk of the essay to explaining how an MBA (and specifically Stern) will help. Think about your skill gaps and how an MBA will close these gaps. It is important that you allow adequate time to research all that Stern has to offer. I suggest being very specific in detailing the opportunities you plan to take advantage of on campus. Think about classes you are particularly interested in or perhaps professors you are looking to study with, etc. Do not include a laundry list. Instead, carefully think through how each offering will allow you to fill in your skill and/or experience gaps.

Essay 2: Personal Expression (a.k.a. “Pick Six”): Describe yourself to the Admissions Committee and to your future classmates using six images and corresponding captions. Your uploaded PDF should contain all of the following elements:

A brief introduction or overview of your “Pick Six” (no more than 3 sentences).

Six images that help illustrate who you are.

A one-sentence caption for each of the six images that helps explain why they were selected and are significant to you.

“Note: Your visuals may include photos, infographics, drawings, or any other images that best describe you. Your document must be uploaded as a single PDF. The essay cannot be sent in physical form or be linked to a website.”

There are no wrong answers here as this is your chance to let the reader into your world. You do want to include a well-rounded mix of photos that tell the reader more about you. While a mix of personal and professional photos can work well, some candidates will include only personal details. Think about what makes you unique and what values drive you as you select these images. Finally, follow the directions. One sentence is ONE sentence. Have fun with this and feel free to be creative.

For tips on handling the third (optional) essay review this blog from Personal MBA Coach.

Along with the Full-time MBA Program, those interested in NYU Stern also can pursue a Fashion & Luxury MBA, Tech MBA, Executive MBA, or Part-time MBA.

Need help with your MBA applications? Personal MBA Coach is here to help!

You may also be interested in the following MBA application essay advice:

Yale SOM 2020-2021 Essay Analysis

Michigan Ross 2020-2021 Essay Analysis

Duke Fuqua 2020-2021 Essay Analysis
Send PM
Expert Reply
If you are considering an Executive MBA, Wharton’s program is among the top EMBA programs in the world. With campuses in Philadelphia and San Francisco, the program offers working professionals the option to choose the location that best meets their needs.

The Wharton EMBA program lasts 24 months. During this time, students have access to career coaching, workshops and resources through Wharton’s MBA Executive Career Advancement Team. Students also can take part in optional Global Modular Courses led by Wharton faculty across the globe.

Want to know if the Wharton EMBA program is the right fit for you? Take a look at the class of 2022 profile. On average, students have 12 years of work experience, and their employers often sponsor them.

Below, please find this year’s 2020-2021 application deadlines along with Personal MBA Coach’s advice on how to tackle the Wharton EMBA application essays.

Wharton Upcoming EMBA Application Deadlines:

Round 1: December 2, 2020

Round 2: February 10, 2021

Wharton 2020-2021 EMBA Application Essays:

Essay 1: What are your career objectives and how will the Wharton MBA Program for Executives contribute to your attainment of this objective? (750 words maximum)

Essay 2: During the spring of 2020, Wharton Professor Mauro Guillen created and taught the course “The Impact of Coronavirus.” As part of this course, Prof. Guillen interviewed Prof. Sigal Barsade on the concept of emotional contagion and its impact on leadership. Please review this interview and then respond to the question below:

Profs. Mauro Guillen & Sigal Barsade discuss Emotional Contagion What have you learned about yourself during the Coronavirus pandemic? Please share special examples about how these times have impacted you personally and professionally. (750 words maximum)

Essay 3: Given your already demanding job and the desire to remain committed to important family and personal obligations, how do you plan to handle the additional demands on your time once you enroll? (500 words maximum)

Essay 4 (Optional): If necessary, you may use this optional essay to explain any extenuating circumstances of which the Admissions Committee should be aware. (300 words maximum)

Personal MBA Coach’s Tips:

Essay 1: What are your career objectives and how will the Wharton MBA Program for Executives contribute to your attainment of this objective? (750 words maximum)

For this first question, we recommend a straightforward response. State your goals clearly and provide some brief perspective on how you arrived at these aspirations. In most cases, candidates should include both a short-term and a long-term goal.

This question does not require you to walk through your entire resume. Instead, focus on your past just enough to establish your key skills as well as how and why you will succeed in the future.

Be specific about how Wharton will help you close your skill gaps and what opportunities you plan to take advantage of on campus. Avoid vague statements and do your research to determine what Wharton specifically will offer you. While you should not include a laundry list, think about classes you are particularly interested in or perhaps professors you are looking to study with. Be sure to show your understanding of Wharton’s culture here as well.

Essay 2: During the spring of 2020, Wharton Professor Mauro Guillen created and taught the course “The Impact of Coronavirus.” As part of this course, Prof. Guillen interviewed Prof. Sigal Barsade on the concept of emotional contagion and its impact on leadership. Please review this interview and then respond to the question below:

Profs. Mauro Guillen & Sigal Barsade discuss Emotional Contagion What have you learned about yourself during the Coronavirus pandemic? Please share special examples about how these times have impacted you personally and professionally. (750 words maximum)

This second essay question is clearly new this year. Begin by watching the video linked above. As you think about what you have learned about yourself and your leadership style during the pandemic, consider how you have demonstrated the leadership traits mentioned in the video. While the question is open-ended in terms of asking what you have learned about yourself, these learnings ideally will center on the leadership qualities discussed by Professor Sigal Barsade.

Consider introducing broad learnings about your leadership strengths and opportunity areas. Then, incorporate specific examples of your leadership in action, ideally including at least one professional example. This essay should clearly communicate your leadership style to the reader. While the question does not explicitly ask for this, you also may want to touch upon how you will bring these learnings to Wharton.

Essay 3: Given your already demanding job and the desire to remain committed to important family and personal obligations, how do you plan to handle the additional demands on your time once you enroll? (500 words maximum)

This response is extremely straightforward. The readers want to see that you have thoroughly considered the demands and that you have the time. Along with talking about work and the people on your team, mention family and friends or other support networks that you have. Nothing is too personal here.

Essay 4 (Optional): If necessary, you may use this optional essay to explain any extenuating circumstances of which the Admissions Committee should be aware. (300 words maximum)

The fourth optional essay question should be answered only by those with extenuating circumstances. Read more on our approach to optional essays here.

Need help with your EMBA applications? Personal MBA Coach is here to guide you!

You also may be interested in the following blog posts:

2020-2021 Executive MBA Programs: Details, Deadlines & Requirements

Interview with Personal MBA Coach Founder, Scott Edinburgh

Personal MBA Coach’s Essay Writing Tips
Send PM
Expert Reply
Located in New England’s Upper Valley, Dartmouth Tuck offers small-town charm while providing the resources of a larger area. If you are looking to attend a smaller MBA program but still want access to a cosmopolitan mix of cultures and global connections, Dartmouth Tuck may be a great choice for you.

This past application cycle, Dartmouth Tuck admitted applicants with an average GMAT score of 720 and an average undergrad GPA of 3.48. Information on the class of 2022 also notes that 49% of students are female and 37% of students have international citizenship.

In a statement detailing the 2020-2021 Full-Time MBA admissions criteria, Dartmouth Tuck shared the following:

We invite you to share who you are, what you have done, where you are going, and how you will get there. You do so across four sets of criteria. Being smart, accomplished, aware and encouraging forms the essential foundation on which the best candidates build. The Tuck class is diverse by design; no two candidates are equally strong across all criteria, and you may demonstrate different strengths in different ways.

Once again, Dartmouth Tuck asks applicants to answer three required essay questions. This year, Tuck is minimizing changes and keeping the essays the same as the previous application cycle.

The upcoming Dartmouth Tuck application deadlines are as follows:

Round 2: January 4, 2021

Round 3: March 29, 2021

Round 4: June 1, 2021

Please see below for Personal MBA Coach’s tips on how to answer Dartmouth Tuck’s essay questions.

Dartmouth Tuck’s 2020-2021 MBA Application Essays:

Essay 1: Tuck students can articulate how the distinctive Tuck MBA will advance their aspirations. Why are you pursuing an MBA and why Tuck? (300 words maximum)

Essay 2: Tuck students recognize how their individuality adds to the fabric of Tuck. Tell us who you are. (300 words maximum)

Essay 3: Tuck students invest generously in one another’s success even when it is not convenient or easy. Share an example of how you helped someone else succeed. (300 words maximum)

Essay 4 (Optional): Please provide any additional insight or information that you have not addressed elsewhere (e.g., atypical choice of evaluators, factors affecting academic performance, unexplained job gaps or changes). Complete this question only if you feel your candidacy is not fully represented by this application. (300 words maximum)

Essay 1: Tuck students can articulate how the distinctive Tuck MBA will advance their aspirations. Why are you pursuing an MBA and why Tuck? (300 words maximum)

There is a lot to fit into this short 300-word essay. First, candidates need to clearly articulate their goals, including both short-term and long-term aspirations. If you need help thinking through your goals, we have published a blog with our general tips. Next, candidates should reflect upon the skills they will need to succeed in this desired career and SPECIFICALLY how Tuck will help them. Be sure to do your research into everything Tuck has to offer and discuss what you will take advantage of on campus and how. Tuck has a unique program, and it is more than just being close-knit. As always, avoid vague statements here.

Essay 2: Tuck students recognize how their individuality adds to the fabric of Tuck. Tell us who you are. (300 words maximum)

For this question, candidates should reflect upon what makes them unique. Hobbies, passions, skills and aspirations are all fair game here. This essay also should paint a picture of what studying and living with you would be like and at least briefly discuss the role you will play within the class of 2023 and how you will improve life at Tuck.

While Tuck no longer specifically asks candidates how they will contribute on campus, a strong answer will not completely ignore this discussion. Even though they removed this question, the mindset remains. Tuck would like to know how your uniqueness will add value on campus.

Essay 3: Tuck students invest generously in one another’s success even when it is not convenient or easy. Share an example of how you helped someone else succeed. (300 words maximum)

While, naturally, the story selected should show how you live Tuck’s values, it also should be one that is easy to set up. You do not want to use many words explaining the situation; instead, you want to SHOW your actions. This question is yet another opportunity for candidates to allow the reader to assess what studying and living with them would be like. Tuck looks for candidates who portray four attributes: smart, encouraging, accomplished and aware. This essay should show how you depict these qualities, particularly encouraging and aware. While stories discussing volunteer and extracurricular work could be logical choices for this question, examples of how candidates went above and beyond in their personal or professional lives would work equally well.

Essay 4 (Optional): Please provide any additional insight or information that you have not addressed elsewhere (e.g., atypical choice of evaluators, factors affecting academic performance, unexplained job gaps or changes). Complete this question only if you feel your candidacy is not fully represented by this application. (300 words maximum)

Tuck also has an optional question that should be answered only by those candidates with unique circumstances. Read our advice on how to address optional questions here.

Need personal support? Personal MBA Coach is here to help you through the MBA application process.

You may also like these other blog articles:

How to Write Winning MBA Application Essays

How to Think About MBA Goals
Send PM
Expert Reply
Wharton TBD interview invitations were released today. If you were lucky enough to receive an invitation, congratulations!

Now comes the harder part – planning for this unique experience. The group interview causes anxiety for many MBA applicants. Candidate apprehension is unfortunately compounded this year by the added complication of a virtual interview.

To help candidates prepare for this unique experience, Personal MBA Coach will be offering à la carte group interview sessions for Wharton (see below for details), providing candidates a unique opportunity to practice this difficult interview. We have former Wharton TBD interviewers to conduct these sessions! You can practice with an interviewer who has evaluated more than 70 applicants at Wharton and knows exactly how to help you ace the TBD. 84% of our interviewees were accepted last year!

While group interviews take additional preparation, with the proper practice and planning they actually can be easier than an individual interview. Personal MBA Coach is here to answer a few of your most pressing questions!

What exactly is the Wharton TBD?

The Wharton TBD (Team Based Discussion) is required for all candidates invited to interview and includes the following three components:

1. Each candidate gives a one-minute introduction to the group, providing an opportunity to get to know one another (this is the first 5 minutes).

2. Introductions are followed by a 35-minute team discussion, during which you should present the results of your discussion to the interviewers. Part of this is delivering your “pitch” and part is the broader team chat.

3. After the group exercise, you will have a brief, individual 1:1 interview to discuss a couple of aspects of your profile and your interest in Wharton.

How should I approach a group interview?

Tip 1. Do not be the loudest one on the screen.

Many candidates attempt to stand out by dominating the conversation. We do not advise this approach. The group interview is a great way for Wharton to assess how a candidate is likely to act in classroom discussions and during group meetings. Admissions committee members are looking for leaders who are able to actively contribute, but they are not interested in someone who will talk over their peers and force their opinions on others.

Tip 2. Do not be a wallflower.

While you do not want to dominate, you also should not be the quietest one on the screen. It is important to ensure that your opinions and voice are heard. This means that you need to strike a delicate (but difficult) balance. This is even more complicated on screen where it is harder to read subtle cues from other participants.

Tip 3. Look for ways to add to an idea as opposed to contradicting it.

You do not have to be the one with the most unique idea or divergent position to stand out. Top leaders collaborate with their teams, and this skill is equally important in the business school classroom. Looking for ways to build off another idea or suggestion can be extremely beneficial and will show the evaluator that you know how to work with a team or a group. Think about where you can add the “and” instead of the “but” or the “or” here.

Tip 4. Respect your peers.

Particularly in the current climate, this should go without saying. Remain open to diverse points of view. Bringing in observations does not mean debunking what others have to say. If you disagree with someone in the group, be respectful and politely add another perspective without being critical or rude.

Tip 5. Do your research and plan ahead.

As with any other interview, adequate preparation is key. Wharton will release the topic in advance, giving candidates the opportunity to prepare for the TBD. Heed this advice and arrive with specific and well-researched talking points. However, also be prepared to pivot as needed.

What advice do you have for virtual interviewing?

To help you prepare for some of the unique challenges of a virtual interview, Personal MBA Coach reached out to a few of the former MBA Admissions Interviewers (including a former Wharton Admissions Director) on our team for their top tips!

1) Look into the camera or webcam, which is often placed higher than the normal vision. In addition, practice your set up with a friend or family member in advance of the interview to make sure the equipment is staged properly and functioning. Finally, be careful when using virtual backgrounds. Depending upon the video capabilities of your system, virtual backgrounds can place a strain on the system and make either the person’s head or the background fade in and out. – MJ, Former Wharton Admissions Director

2) Treat a virtual interview the same way you would an in-person interview – dress as you would if you were going in person, have a quiet and clean space with good lighting in which to conduct your interview, and of course, be on time! – Julie, Dartmouth Tuck, Former Admissions Interviewer

3) It is crucial to emote a bit more on virtual interviews since you do not have the nonverbal cues you would have in person. Be sure to modulate how quickly you are speaking, pause at the right time, smile and express excitement. While using hand motions can be great, avoid too much movement, which can be even more distracting on virtual interviews. – Karys, Yale SOM, Former Admissions Interviewer

As a Wharton alum, I conduct a limited number of unique TBD practice sessionswith my team of former M7 interviewers to help candidates. These sessions, which will begin in early November, will mirror the actual Wharton interview, providing candidates an opportunity to work together with other applicants during a group session. They then will be followed by one-on-one interviews with former M7 MBA interviewers. Each participant will receive our proprietary interview preparation guide and a personal feedback session.

Take a look at these blog posts for MBA application assistance:

MBA Application Resume Tips

MBA Essay Writing

MBA Interview Preparation
Send PM
Expert Reply
Are you seeking an MBA program with a global community and access to a major city? If so, London Business School may be a great option for you.

With acclaimed professors and visiting speakers from around the world, and students representing 66 nationalities in the class of 2021, London Business School is truly a global hub. Information on the class of 2021 also notes that 38% of students are female, and students have an average of 5 years of pre-MBA experience.

If you have decided that the London Business School full-time MBA program is a good fit for you, Personal MBA Coach is here to guide you through the essay-writing process.

The upcoming London Business School application deadlines are as follows:

Round 2: January 5, 2021

Round 3: March 4, 2021

Round 4: April 27, 2021

Once again, London Business School asks applicants to answer one required essay question. This year, the school is minimizing changes and keeping the question the same as the previous application cycle.

London Business School gives candidates the opportunity to answer an optional essay question as well, which also remains the same this year.

London Business School’s 2020-2021 MBA Application Essays:

Essay 1: What are your post-MBA goals and how will your prior experience and the London Business School programme contribute towards these? (500 words maximum)

Essay 2 (Optional): Is there any other information you believe the Admissions Committee should know about you and your application to London Business School? (500 words maximum)

Please see below for Personal MBA Coach’s tips on how to answer London Business School’s MBA application essay questions.

Essay 1: What are your post-MBA goals and how will your prior experience and the London Business School programme contribute towards these? (500 words maximum)

This is a standard goals essay. Personal MBA Coach recommends beginning your essay by providing some background context about yourself and detailing your career accomplishments to date.

After sharing this background information, go on to discuss your MBA goals. If you are having trouble articulating your goals, take a look at Personal MBA Coach’s six key pieces of advice here.

The remaining bulk of your essay should specifically discuss how attending London Business School will help accomplish these goals. Be sure to research everything that London Business School’s MBA program has to offer and detail what you plan to take part in on campus. Is there a class you want to take? A club you hope to join? Mention these here and clearly explain how they relate to your MBA goals.

Essay 2 (Optional): Is there any other information you believe the Admissions Committee should know about you and your application to London Business School? (500 words maximum)

While I normally do not advise most candidates to complete optional essays, you should consider answering this essay. This is the chance to tell London Business School a bit more about who you are and what makes you unique.

Possible topics to cover here include extracurricular leadership roles or other work that is not presented in the rest of your application. This could be a personal story, triumph, or a side project you were involved in.

For more MBA application tips, check out the following blogs:

What Is an MBA Resume?

4 “Seemingly Obvious” Application Mistakes

Send PM
Expert Reply
While the M7 business schools (Columbia Business School, Harvard Business School, MIT Sloan, Kellogg, Stanford GSB, Chicago Booth, and Wharton) get a lot of attention, there are numerous compelling MBA program options beyond the M7 schools.

In fact, the average Personal MBA Coach client applies to five to seven business schools, some of which fall beyond the M7. This is why we have put together our latest eBook, MBA Essay Analysis: Beyond the M7, to help you explore your options.

In this eBook, we have included Personal MBA Coach’s tips on how to tackle the 2020-2021 MBA application essays for seven top MBA programs outside of the M7.

Ranked in US News & World Report’s 2021 Best Business Schools, the following top business schools are featured in our MBA Essay Analysis: Beyond the M7:

Berkeley Haas: #7 in Best Business Schools
    Duke Fuqua: #12 in Best Business Schools (tie)
    Michigan Ross: #12 in Best Business Schools (tie)
    NYU Stern: #10 in Best Business Schools
    UCLA Anderson: #16 in Best Business Schools
    UVA Darden: #11 in Best Business Schools
    Yale SOM: #9 in Best Business Schools

Whether Round 1 did not go as planned or you always planned to apply during Round 2, one or more of these programs may be great options for you to consider.

Along with Personal MBA Coach’s advice on how to approach the required MBA application essays for these programs, we also have included tips for handling short answer questions and other application extras.

Are you ready to learn more about these MBA programs? This eBook is offered to all Personal MBA Coach newsletter subscribers. Sign up here to download our eBook today!

You also may like these other blog articles:

2020-2021 Executive MBA Programs: Details, Deadlines & Requirements

Berkeley Haas, UVA Darden, Michigan Ross, USC Marshall & Texas McCombs Admit with $70K Scholarship

Short Answer Questions, Optional Essays and Videos
Send PM
Expert Reply
Personal MBA Coach just sat down virtually with Laurel Grodman to get an insider’s look at the Yale SOM admissions process. As the Managing Director of Admissions, and a Yale SOM graduate herself, Laurel is intimately familiar with the Yale SOM MBA Program.

Watch Personal MBA Coach and Laurel discuss the future of Yale SOM and get answers to some of your most pressing questions about the school’s admissions process.

If you are wondering whether you are the “perfect fit” for Yale SOM, do not worry! Watch as Laurel deconstructs this notion, stressing that the school is simply looking for people who are academically prepared to be in a rigorous program, have demonstrated impact in their professional lives, and will be great community members at Yale SOM.

Rather than pretending to be someone you are not, you should take your time with the process to represent yourself and what you are interested in as well as possible.

From new partnerships, to the behavioral assessment, to Covid-19’s impact on the admissions process, you do not want to miss this invaluable insider perspective.

Plus, find out more about new programs at Yale SOM including the MMS in Asset Management (launching in fall 2021) and the opportunities this offering creates for MBA candidates.

Are you interested in learning more about the Yale SOM experience? As mentioned in the interview, Yale SOM’s Student Ambassadors serve as contacts for numerous clubs, programs, and interest groups. While student ambassadors are not part of the admissions committee, and thus these exchanges are not evaluative, these contacts are a great way for prospective students to ask specific and candid questions.

Regardless of where you are in the MBA application process, Personal MBA Coach is here to help. Founded by a Wharton and MIT graduate, we regularly help applicants navigate their applications each year. We also conduct mock interviews with former M7 interviewers on our team.

Get more MBA application advice and updates below:

Yale School of Management 2020-2021 Essay Analysis

From Berkeley Haas to Yale SOM: MBA Essay Analysis Beyond the M7

Harvard Business School, Wharton, Chicago Booth & Yale SOM Admit With $244K Scholarship
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  6   7   8   9   10  ...  19