Last visit was: 27 Jul 2024, 07:09 It is currently 27 Jul 2024, 07:09
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Personal MBA Coach Founder
Status:Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting from a Wharton graduate - Helping applicants get into top global business schools since 2008
Affiliations: Wharton, MIT
Own Kudos [?]: 362 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Overall Client Admit Rate: 96%
Send PM
Status:Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting from a Wharton graduate - Helping applicants get into top global business schools since 2008
Send PM
Send PM
Send PM
The Executive MBA vs MBA: Which to Choose? [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Personal MBA Coach: The Executive MBA vs MBA: Which to Choose?
While all MBA programs teach the same general curriculum, often by some of the same faculty, the decision between an EMBA vs MBA can be a difficult one.

Personal MBA Coach frequently works with candidates who find themselves teetering on the line between an EMBA and MBA. If you find yourself in this position and are having trouble coming to a decision, Personal MBA Coach is here to help you determine the fit.

Below, we have shared an overview of Executive MBA vs MBA programs, the benefits of each, and what sets them apart.

What is an Executive MBA program?
If you are just starting your MBA decision-making process, you may find yourself asking, “What is an Executive MBA program?” To break it down, the EMBA is designed for higher-level executives and members of senior management. Entrepreneurs who manage their own businesses also fit well into EMBA programs. The purpose of such programs is to help business leaders strengthen their management skills. Unlike the full-time MBA, EMBA students continue working over the course of their studies.

While EMBA students are expected to have more leadership experience than full-time MBA or part-time MBA students, the required number of years of experience for EMBA hopefuls varies significantly from school to school. In some cases, Personal MBA Coach sends applicants with as few as 5 to 6 years of experience to certain EMBA programs. In other cases, schools are looking for those with 10 to 12+ years of experience. For instance, the MIT Sloan EMBA class of 2022 had an average of 17 years of experience. Many successful applicants also have international leadership expertise, although it is not required for admission.

[img]https://www.personalmbacoach.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/11/WordPress-–-EMBA-vs-MBA-blog-1.png[/img]

What is a Full-Time MBA Program?
Traditional two-year, full-time MBA programs are commonly designed for younger professionals. Generally speaking, year one covers general course requirements whereas year two takes a deeper dive into specific disciplines. Full-time MBA students also complete an internship between their first and second year, which is particularly beneficial for students who are looking to change careers.  Since post-MBA students often start at similar levels to one another, a full-time MBA can often serve as an equalizer of sorts.

Applicants have 3-6 years of pre-MBA experience on average. After 6+ years, your chances of admission begin to decrease slightly each year. However, if you have surpassed 6 years of work experience and still want to pursue a full-time MBA program, Personal MBA Coach works with many more-experienced candidates who get into top programs by developing a strong story to explain their roles to date.

Benefits of Executive MBA Programs
Now that we have addressed “What is an Executive MBA Program?” let’s discuss some of the benefits. Getting ahead professionally while maintaining their full-time jobs is one of the major benefits of Executive MBA programs. Because students are working full-time, another Executive MBA benefit is flexible scheduling to accommodate busy lifestyles. Keep in mind that you may still be spending between 20 to 30 hours on projects and assignments in a given week.

Whether you are looking to change roles, advance in your current industry, or even build a business from the ground up, an Executive MBA will equip you with the tools to do so. While EMBA students are typically not looking to change roles immediately post-graduation, many recruiting opportunities are available through internal networking, often with fellow EMBA classmates.

If you would like to learn about the top EMBA programs and the application process, take a look at Personal MBA Coach’s EMBA Program Overview e-book.

[img]https://www.personalmbacoach.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/11/WordPress-–-EMBA-vs-MBA-blog-2.png[/img]

Benefits of Full-Time MBA Programs
Going back to school full-time presents a great opportunity to fully immerse yourself in the business school experience. Full-time MBA programs strongly emphasize skills such as leadership, teamwork and communication both in and out of the classroom.

Full-time MBAs also give students access to a plethora of networking, recruiting and community-building opportunities. On top of this, these programs allow for an intensive summer internship experience, various volunteer programs and travel opportunities, enabling students to further develop personally and professionally.

If you would like to learn about the top full-time MBA programs and the application process, take a look at Personal MBA Coach’s M7 Essay Analysis e-book.

Still unsure about an EMBA vs MBA program? Personal MBA Coach guides candidates through all types of MBA applications and can advise you on which program is the best fit for your individual circumstances. Sometimes, candidates will apply to more than one program type and choose the one with the most desirable package. We are happy to discuss whether this could be the ideal strategy for you.

Learn more about how Personal MBA Coach can help you achieve your goals with our Comprehensive MBA Packages and EMBA Packages.

About Personal MBA Coach:
Founded by a Wharton MBA and MIT Sloan graduate who sits on the Association of International Graduate Admissions Consultants Board of Directors, Personal MBA Coach has been guiding clients for 14 years and is consistently ranked #1 or #2 by leading sources including Poets&Quants.

We help clients with all aspects of the MBA application process including early planning, GMAT/GRE/EA tutoring, application strategy, school selection, essay editing and mock interviews. Our team includes former M7 admissions directors and former M7 admissions interviewers.

Last year, our clients earned more than $6.5M in scholarships!

The post The Executive MBA vs MBA: Which to Choose? appeared first on Personal MBA Coach.
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Send PM
Nicole Shay Interview With Former Colleague and Current CBS Adcom Dire [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Personal MBA Coach: Nicole Shay Interview With Former Colleague and Current CBS Adcom Director Jordan Blitzer
Nicole Shay: My name is Nicole Shay and I am joined by Jordan Blitzer, Director of Admissions at Columbia Business School. Jordan and I actually know each other really well as I spent six years on the admissions committee from 2015 to March 2021, and we worked very closely together. I am so appreciative, Jordan, that you are here chatting with me. It is great to see your face again given that we sat right behind each other for many years.

I would love for you to start off by telling me how you first got involved in admissions.

Jordan: Thanks so much for having me. I am happy to be here! My journey to admissions is somewhat nontraditional, as with many admissions officers. I worked at a small company, then a startup, and then in a more established corporate environment for several years. One of my close personal friends was a long-time CBS staff member. At every opportunity, she would tell me that Columbia Business School was an awesome and impactful place to work.

So, in 2017 when there was a role available on the Diversity Recruitment team within CBS admissions, I jumped at the opportunity. From my initial phone call with Amanda Carlson [Assistant Dean of Admissions] I fell in love with what she shared about her experience and the impact that I could have on prospective and current students as an admissions officer. I joined the team and haven’t looked back.

Nicole: I love hearing your story because it brings me back to interviewing with Amanda and the way that she speaks about the team, the work we do, the students and the alumni. (I say “we” but the work that you guys engage in and that I engaged in).

Jordan: That is the feeling I had when I spoke to her and the team. It very much felt like a special community, not just the admissions team, but Columbia Business School overall.

Nicole: So, what excites you most about your work?

Jordan: I get to speak to unbelievable people from all different walks of life, whether it’s my colleagues or prospective students. Pre-pandemic, I got to travel and engage with people all over the world, and I fortunately have had many meaningful relationship-building opportunities in the virtual environment too.

I studied Sociology and Anthropology in college, and I have a master’s in Adult Learning and Leadership. People are what motivate me. I think that will continue to be the case for a long time.

Nicole: Absolutely, a great team, great students, great alums. When I had to make the move to Houston, Texas, there were a handful of alums who reached out and were so excited that I was moving to Houston. They sent guides and set me up for lunches with their parents, siblings, and friends. I would completely agree. That is something that really motivated me throughout my time and continues to shape who I am both personally and professionally.

So, focusing on Columbia, what changes are you looking forward to on campus over the next year?

Jordan: The biggest one that is top of mind is our move to two buildings on our brand-new Manhattanville campus. We will be moving in December but opening our doors for students, faculty, and staff to be in full force – teaching, learning, and collaborating – come January 2022.

Nicole: I think it’s going to be amazing for students. The way it was built was to allow for more collaboration and for more surprise encounters with people that you might not otherwise have.

Jordan: We are also going to be engaging in such a meaningful way with the community in Harlem, and I think that will really enhance the student and community experience. I am really looking forward to seeing how it all pans out.

Nicole: You kind of mentioned this before, but there are still some COVID restrictions in place on campus for visitors specifically. Have there been any big changes to the application process in the past year, either related to COVID or otherwise, that you want to address?

Jordan: One question we get a lot is around in-person vs. virtual events. As I mentioned, campus is still closed to visitors to prioritize the space for our students for in-person instruction. Another question we get quite often, and you probably get this a lot too, is around online test taking. We absolutely accept tests taken online and see them as valid.

Not COVID related, we still have our traditional goals essay, but we now allow our applicants to choose between two of three options for the other essays. We really want people to talk about the things that are important to them so we can get to know them even better. We also reduced our recommender requirements and now require one recommendation. I think our applicants were a little stunned at first, but it has made the process more manageable overall.

Finally, the biggest general change (not COVID related) is that we joined The Consortium for Graduate Study in Management. This means there is now an opportunity for folks to apply to CBS through The Consortium. This is brand new territory for us since we are the newest school to join the group. I am excited to see from an admissions perspective how that all plays out with our process and building our class.

Nicole: That’s awesome. I know the team was talking about that for a while, and it’s really exciting to see that come to fruition. I do have a couple of follow-up questions because of the things we hear from our clients.

I noticed that you changed your policy on test scores and the recommendations submission timeline. Can you briefly review the current policy?

Jordan: We changed for operational purposes. We were finding that we were not able to give responses to our applicants in the timeframe that we wanted to because we ended up, in many circumstances, waiting for information that didn’t always arrive. Because we operate under rolling admissions, we advise applicants to wait to submit their application until it is as strong as it can be. If you are going to take a test in three weeks’ time, you should wait to submit your application until after you take the test.

The second change you mentioned is that we slightly adjusted the timeline for our recommender submissions, allowing them a two-week grace period to submit after an applicant submits. We understand what recommenders do is somewhat out of an applicant’s control, but we must hear from your recommenders within two weeks to deliver decisions in a timely manner.

Nicole: I was excited to hear about these changes because I think they benefit both the team and the applicant. It really does encourage you to do things on a more practical timeline.

Columbia is still much more generous than a lot of schools when it comes to recommenders getting their letters in. I was excited to hear about these small changes that I know make a big impact in the way that decisions are made for everyone.

I’m curious if you have any advice on which of the three essays to choose if someone is really stuck on how to choose. Do you have any advice at this point given you’ve only been giving this option for several months?

Jordan: A lot of the MBA process is about reflection and honesty with oneself. If you feel you can answer two of the prompts meaningfully over the other, pick those two. We really do not have a preference of which we want to see. Again, it is about being able to meaningfully answer the prompts and sharing more about you.

Nicole: I think that is great, and what people want to hear or understand is that there truly is no preference. I think people spend a lot of time wracking their brains about which to do or what the committee would want them to pick. The answer is, there are no two correct choices.

We will talk more about it later, but what do you think is the most common misconception about CBS?

Jordan: When I first joined CBS, we had this reputation that our students were sharp-elbowed. I think that’s just by nature of being in New York City, a city that also has that reputation.

Nowadays a misconception I hear is a lack of community. People think that we are a commuter school and that there is not really a deep community here. That could not be more wrong. The best way to debunk it is to speak to current students about the community. Ask students how they feel supported. We give a lot of support as an administration, but students usually mention us second to classmates or peers.

We as an admissions committee work hard to find people who are going to continue to further that community.

Nicole: You put it so eloquently how the team, the administration, and the students have come together to create a cohesive community. Talking a little bit more about the application, what do you wish that applicants would do differently when applying?

Jordan: It sounds obvious but answer the question. It’s something that often gets missed. We read a lot of applications, including a lot of essays about goals. It’s clear when an applicant is using an essay that was written for a different school. At the end of the day, if you can just take a breath and say, “Did I actually answer the question?” it can make a big difference.

Nicole: Something that we often emphasize with clients is that even though the themes of different essays in different schools are the same, maybe goals, fit, etc., they are not the same question. It is very easy to tell if you try to smush one essay’s content into another essay. I know that I can detect it very easily, and I emphasize this with people so it’s good to hear from you that it is real.

Any tips that you have to bolster authenticity or mitigate this cookie cutter way of approaching essays?

Jordan: Something that I encourage people to do is identify someone in your life, it’s probably not going be your significant other, parent/guardian or grandparent. It’s someone who knows you but doesn’t know you that well. Give them your essays and don’t give them the prompt. Have them share with you a little about how you’re coming off – does this sound like me? Does this feel the person you know?

It’s helpful for it to be someone sort of distant because you don’t want the person filling in holes for you. Your parents might fill in a gap and connect the dots in a way that an admissions committee member cannot.

Have this person give a little bit of feedback and general thoughts on your responses, and then have them predict what the prompt was. Then you can really say to yourself “Okay, I answered the question” or “Oh, something is amiss here; they didn’t catch what my dream job was.”

I think it is a good way to see if you hit or missed the mark.

Nicole: I think that is a smart approach. My go-to tip aside from that one was always to join these admissions events. Especially now that they are all virtual it is really easy, no matter where you are, to tune in or listen to recordings and listen to students talk about what they loved, how they took advantage of the community, and it kind of helps you write your essays or determine your fit.

Listening to what other people talk about helps you much more clearly articulate the picture of how you are going to succeed at that school.

Jordan: Definitely. This not only shows the admissions committee that you are engaged and enthusiastic but also it will serve you in the process. It will help you determine whether you want to go to a school or not.

We recognize that applicants have full-time jobs and a lot on their plate, so we are not saying that you must participate in every single event we offer. But we do, to your point, offer a lot of events now that are virtual.

Nicole: I am assuming this was some of the advice you would give a candidate about how to think about preparing for Columbia.

Jordan: You hit the nail on the head around the events. I’m going to plug our recorded events because they are quite robust. I think every school is going to be different, but our admissions team takes pride in making ourselves accessible. We really try to prioritize the needs of our prospective students as best we can.

Reach out to admissions committee members and get to know us – we’re people too! And talk to current students. They are going to give you such good insight into “are these my people?”.

Nicole: So, what everyone probably wonders is, what is the best way to connect with current students?

Jordan: We work with a club on campus called the Hermes Society, which is about 250 student ambassadors who work with our office very closely on a full host of events and activities for both prospective students and admitted students.

There is a portal on our website: “contact a student” which I recommend. You can filter students across different areas of study, different clubs, different locations, and the database will spit out names and email addresses of students who want to talk to prospective students in your shoes.

Of course, if you have any trouble you can always reach out to admissions.

Nicole: I wish we had so much more time to talk. But Jordan, I cannot thank you enough for your time. It is such a pleasure to speak with you and be able to see you again. This conversation was incredibly fun for me, but I think it will be incredibly helpful for those who are considering applying to Columbia in the future!

Founded by a Wharton MBA and MIT Sloan graduate who sits on the Association of International Graduate Admissions Consultants Board of Directors, Personal MBA Coach has been guiding clients for 14 years and is consistently ranked #1 or #2 by leading sources including Poets&Quants.

We help clients with all aspects of the MBA application process including early planning, GMAT/GRE/EA tutoring, application strategy, school selection, essay editing and mock interviews. Our team includes former M7 admissions directors and former M7 admissions interviewers.

The post Nicole Shay Interview With Former Colleague and Current CBS Adcom Director Jordan Blitzer appeared first on Personal MBA Coach.
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Send PM
The Value of an MBA Prevails in GMAC’s 2021 Student Survey [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Personal MBA Coach: The Value of an MBA Prevails in GMAC’s 2021 Student Survey
Once again, the Graduate Management Admissions Council (GMAC) has highlighted the benefits of getting an MBA. In its latest Enrolled Student Survey Report, GMAC announced a number of key findings regarding post-business school employment, MBA ROI, and the overall value of an MBA education.

GMAC’s 2021 Corporate Recruiter’s Survey uncovered strong hiring and salary trends for MBA graduates. Several months later, the future for MBA hopefuls looks just as bright.

Below, Personal MBA Coach has shared some of the highlights from GMAC’s latest report. These findings are a result of responses from over one thousand students from nearly 60 business schools in 30 countries.

1. Post-MBA employment trends remain strong.

GMAC’s Enrolled Student Survey Report gathered responses from a mix of career switchers, career enhancers, and aspiring entrepreneurs. At the time of the survey, which was conducted halfway through 2021, two-thirds of the class of 2021 had already secured job offers.

Despite the challenges of the ongoing global pandemic, the vast majority of survey respondents reported feeling confident in their employability. GMAC has concluded that the most successful employment pathways are through a work project or internship, yielding a 63 percent success rate. That said, many job seekers also applied directly to companies (48 percent success rate) or used online job search platforms (34 percent success rate).

[img]https://www.personalmbacoach.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/11/WordPress-–-GMAC-2021-Student-Survey-Blog-1.png[/img]

2. Students confirm their confidence in MBA ROI.

While it is no secret that business school is a large investment, students continue find it to be a worthwhile expense. Even in times of economic uncertainty, 80 percent of respondents attested that their business school education is worth the price tag. Similarly, 79 percent of students said that one of the benefits of getting an MBA is an increase in earning power. This is a promising statistic for those who are on the fence about MBA ROI.

For reference, per GMAC’s past survey on corporate recruiting, the median salary of MBA graduates ($115,000) is 77 percent higher than those with a bachelor’s degree ($65,000) and 53 percent higher than those hired directly from industry ($75,000).

If the cost of business school is a factor in your decision to apply, remember that scholarship money, though somewhat elusive, is available every application year. Personal MBA Coach’s clients earned an industry-leading $6.5M in scholarships last year. Here, find out how to maximize your chances of scholarship success!

3. Faculty and curriculum are among the top benefits of an MBA experience.

Regarding program experience, components like faculty, curriculum and the admissions process received the highest marks from students. Given that a strong faculty and curriculum are integral to a positive MBA experience, it comes as no surprise that 9 out of 10 students said they would recommend their school to MBA hopefuls.

While this means that word of mouth can have a powerful impact on school selection, Personal MBA Coach advises all candidates to do their research and carefully evaluate whether a program is right for them. Pay attention to specific areas of excellence at the programs you are considering. Specifically, consider your post-MBA goals and which school’s offerings would be the best fit for you.

[img]https://www.personalmbacoach.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/11/WordPress-–-GMAC-2021-Student-Survey-Blog-2.png[/img]

4. The quality and reputation of a school has the biggest impact on decision-making.

Respondents from the United States, Europe, and Asia-Pacific all placed the quality/reputation of a school as a top priority in the MBA decision-making process.

Naturally, this is important given that many future employers and investors will pay attention to the program you attended to get a better idea of your skills and potential.

That said, remember that MBA rankings and the overall reputation of a program are only one aspect of the decision-making process. There are several other factors to think about when selecting target programs, such as location and which companies recruit on campus.

Find out more about how to approach school selection by downloading our free Decision Making Guide!

We help clients with all aspects of the MBA application process including early planning, GMAT/GRE/EA tutoring, application strategy, school selection, essay editing, and mock interviews. Our team includes former M7 admissions directors and former M7 admissions interviewers.

The post The Value of an MBA Prevails in GMAC’s 2021 Student Survey appeared first on Personal MBA Coach.
Send PM
Personal MBA Coach’s Top Tips For Selecting Your Recommenders [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Personal MBA Coach: Personal MBA Coach’s Top Tips For Selecting Your Recommenders
For those of you who have not already done so, it is time to select your recommenders! Who you select to write your letters of recommendation is a key decision in the application process. It can be tempting to select the person with the most prestigious resume or the person easiest to discuss your business school plans with. Personal MBA Coach encourages you not to take this approach and to instead carefully weigh your options.

Here are the guiding principles we advise when selecting recommenders:

1) Do not just look for impressive titles.

This is not to say that impressive titles are a bad thing, but title should not be a primary selection criterion. Admissions committee members will see right through a strategy to have the CEO of your company, with whom you sat in on one meeting, write a letter for you. Not only will they not be able to explain the most important aspects of your candidacy, but it may not be a very credible letter if it is clear you do not have a strong relationship with the recommender.

2) Look for someone who will take the time to write a great letter.

This addresses two very important criteria. It is best to select someone who is not only a good writer, but who will take the necessary time to write a great letter. Not everyone is great at writing and similarly, not everyone realistically has time to draft a carefully thought out letter. The quality of the writing is important in demonstrating your candidacy. That said, do not worry about English proficiency. Letters are not evaluated based on grammar.

3) Select someone who knows you well.

This is one of the most important pieces of advice we can provide. It is crucial that your recommender be familiar with your work, your character, your strengths, your weaknesses and your career aspirations. The best letters show intimate familiarity with the candidate. The use of specific examples will be important (more on that in my next blog) and the better the recommender knows you, the easier and more genuine these will be.

4) Select someone who can compare you to other candidates (if possible).

A good letter will compare you to other candidates, putting your accomplishments in perspective. For that reason, an ideal recommender will have the experience and exposure to compare your strengths and weaknesses to those of your peers. While this may not always be possible (and that alone is not a reason to eliminate a recommender), if you are comparing two similar candidates, this is an important factor to keep in mind.

5) Ask non-professional references if you have strong extracurriculars and/or weak recommendation options at work.

While the general advice is to select professional supervisors to write your letters of recommendation, there are some exceptions to this rule. If you have taken a major role in an activity outside of work, such as a leadership role in a sizeable charitable organization, you might consider asking a colleague/supervisor in this organization to write on your behalf. If you devote a considerable amount of time to this activity, particularly if it requires strong leadership, this person should know you well and be positioned to write a strong letter. Further, they will be able to provide a different perspective on your candidacy.

Similarly, if you do not have a suitable professional reference option, perhaps because you absolutely cannot tell your supervisor you are applying to business school or because your company is structured such that you do not work closely with one particular person, you may be best suited selecting a non-professional reference.

6) Use additional influential / alumni letters in some cases.

While we said title should not be a factor in selecting your recommenders, some candidates might be lucky enough to have a close relationship (even a personal one) with someone who has strong ties to the school of their dreams. In this case (and you never know what connections you might actually have until you inquire), it is worth taking the time to consider them as an additional recommender. Again, this is a case by case basis and Personal MBA Coach happy to advise clients on this specific situation.

Remember, regardless of who you select to write your letters of recommendation, early notice is key. Do not wait too long to make these requests.

If you have already selected your recommenders, check out our blog on preparing your recommenders to ensure you submit the best MBA LORs.

About Personal MBA Coach:

We help clients with all aspects of the MBA application process including early planning, GMAT/GRE/EA tutoring, application strategy, school selection, essay editing, and mock interviews. Our team includes former M7 admissions directors and former M7 admissions interviewers.

The post Personal MBA Coach’s Top Tips For Selecting Your Recommenders appeared first on Personal MBA Coach.
Send PM
What To Do If You Were Rejected In Round 1 [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Personal MBA Coach: What To Do If You Were Rejected In Round 1
If round 1 did not go as planned, do not give up hope! Remember, there are countless reasons for a rejection – so many that Personal MBA Coach developed a Ding Report service to help candidates understand where they went wrong! While many times candidates are rejected due to a mistake that they can fix, there are some surprising reasons for a rejection. In some cases, you might have even been dinged because you were overqualified!

Regardless of the reason, Personal MBA Coach would like to help you develop a strategy to realize your MBA goals.

Candidates rejected from business school during round 1 have two options for continuing to pursue their MBA dreams.

Option 1: Apply to additional schools during round 2.

If now is really the ideal time for you to get an MBA (see our advice on this here) or if you were shooting for the stars with your round 1 list, you should consider altering your strategy and submitting additional applications during round 2. Round 2 (or potentially round 3) is a very viable option!

Follow these 3 key pieces of advice:

1) Broaden Your School List.
Unfortunately, not everyone can earn an MBA from Harvard Business School. In some cases, getting rejected from business school comes down to a numbers game: your profile is great but there were simply too many qualified former consultants from your native country in this year’s pool, making it even harder to stand out. (If you are applying to business school as a consultant, find out how to differentiate yourself here.)

Due to this numbers game, our average candidate applies to 5 to 8 schools. For some, this means having schools from a range of tiers. For others, this means putting your eggs in multiple top-tier school baskets.

Of course, for all candidates your target list must match your candidate profile. Be sure that you not only have a wide enough list but one that is reasonable based on your GPA, GMAT/GRE/EA and professional experience. Personal MBA Coach prides itself in offering open and honest feedback on your chances of success at any given school. We want our candidates to reach high, but we also will not sugarcoat it for you.

2) Retake the GMAT/GRE/EA.
Even though time is limited for January deadlines, you may want to consider retaking the GMAT/GRE/EA or switching from one exam to the other. Remember, depending on your profile and background, you might need a score above the average to be competitive.

This is particularly true if you had a lower GPA or are from an overrepresented applicant pool. As you plan to re-take the exam, consider your previous preparation. Did you get help last time around? If not, consider hiring a personal tutor who can give you targeted advice on how to improve your score.

3) Improve Your Application Development and Interview Preparation.
Finally, reapplicants should focus on improving all aspects of the application itself. As you develop a new plan, take an honest look at your application and think about whether your story clearly and consistently came across.

Some questions you should consider include: Have you shown your unique value added? Did you share what truly makes you shine? Were your career goals clear? Did you actually answer the questions? Did you show passion? If you received an interview invite: How did the conversation go? Were you adequately prepared?

Option 2: Strengthen your profile and apply again next year.

For those of you willing to wait another year to give your dream school a shot, consider these 3 pieces of advice in addition to the suggestions above:

1) Improve Your Extracurricular Activities.
Step up your involvement outside of work. Seek leadership positions within your existing organizations or consider joining a new activity or group. For more details, read our blog on enhancing your extracurricular profile.

2) Look for Leadership Opportunities at Work.
In any way you can, take on more at the office. A promotion is of course ideal, but even if that is not possible, look for ways to stretch yourself within your existing role. Or consider volunteering for internal committees or projects to help strengthen your company and culture. Review our tips on how to make your career work harder for you for more specific suggestions.

3) Address Your Skill Gaps.
Think about where you are weakest and see what you can do now to close these gaps. Is there a course you could take to improve your analytical skills? Perhaps you got an interview but did not get accepted? If so, consider options for improving your presentation and interview skills. Everyone has weaknesses; take the time now to address yours.

By starting early for next year, you can take the time to fine-tune your story, rethink your LOR strategy and ensure all aspects of your application work together cohesively. Every year we successfully advise reapplicants on what to change (and what not to) to increase their chances of success.

About Personal MBA Coach:

The post What To Do If You Were Rejected In Round 1 appeared first on Personal MBA Coach.
Send PM
How to Approach the 2021-2022 Wharton EMBA Essays [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Personal MBA Coach: How to Approach the 2021-2022 Wharton EMBA Essays
If you are considering an Executive MBA, Wharton’s program is among the top EMBA programs in the world. With campuses in Philadelphia and San Francisco, the program offers working professionals the option to choose the location that best meets their needs.

The Wharton EMBA program lasts 24 months. During this time, students have access to career coaching, workshops and resources through Wharton’s MBA Executive Career Advancement Team. Students also can take part in optional Global Modular Courses led by Wharton faculty across the globe.

Want to know if the Wharton EMBA program is the right fit for you? Take a look at the class of 2023 profile. On average, students have 13 years of work experience, and their employers often sponsor them.

Below, please find this year’s 2021-2022 application deadlines along with Personal MBA Coach’s advice on how to tackle the Wharton EMBA application essays along with details about our Executive MBA Packages.

Wharton Upcoming EMBA Application Deadlines:

Round 1: December 8, 2021

Round 2: February 9, 2022

Wharton 2021-2022 EMBA Application Essays:

Essay 1: What are your career objectives and how will the Wharton MBA Program for Executives contribute to your attainment of this objective? (750 words maximum)

Essay 2: Research has shown that there is a compelling business case for diversity and inclusion: increased profitability, greater creativity and innovation, and less risk for organizations that have effective DEI practices. What intentional steps have you taken or what would you recommend to support an equitable and inclusive environment at work or elsewhere?

Please take a moment to learn how the University of Pennsylvania endeavors to make everyone feel welcome: Diversity at Wharton (750 words maximum)

Essay 3: Given your already demanding job and the desire to remain committed to important family and personal obligations, how do you plan to handle the additional demands on your time once you enroll? (500 words maximum)

Essay 4 (Optional): If necessary, you may use this optional essay to explain any extenuating circumstances of which the Admissions Committee should be aware. (300 words maximum)

Personal MBA Coach’s Tips:

Essay 1: What are your career objectives and how will the Wharton MBA Program for Executives contribute to your attainment of this objective? (750 words maximum)

For this first question, we recommend a straightforward response. State your goals clearly and provide some brief perspective on how you arrived at these aspirations. In most cases, candidates should include both a short-term and a long-term goal.

This question does not require you to walk through your entire resume. Instead, focus on your past just enough to establish your key skills as well as how and why you will succeed in the future.

Be specific about how Wharton will help you close your skill gaps and what opportunities you plan to take advantage of on campus. Avoid vague statements and do your research to determine what Wharton specifically will offer you. While you should not include a laundry list, think about classes you are particularly interested in or perhaps professors you are looking to study with. Be sure to show your understanding of Wharton’s culture here as well.

Essay 2: Research has shown that there is a compelling business case for diversity and inclusion: increased profitability, greater creativity and innovation, and less risk for organizations that have effective DEI practices. What intentional steps have you taken or what would you recommend to support an equitable and inclusive environment at work or elsewhere?

Please take a moment to learn how the University of Pennsylvania endeavors to make everyone feel welcome: Diversity at Wharton (750 words maximum)

This second essay is new for 2021-2022 but given the current emphasis on DEI, we are not surprised by this addition.

With this question, you have the option to discuss actions that you already have taken OR discuss future plans. As actions always speak louder than words, if you have taken steps in your career to support diversity and inclusion, discuss them here.

Be specific as you discuss your actions. If possible, you should also include a bit of detail on what led you to pursue these actions.

Even if you have a strong past story to discuss, it would also be a good idea to take a brief forward look at ideas you have to drive diversity and inclusion in the future. Be very specific, outlining steps you plan to take in your future career and/or volunteer work you plan to continue.

Essay 3: Given your already demanding job and the desire to remain committed to important family and personal obligations, how do you plan to handle the additional demands on your time once you enroll? (500 words maximum)

This response is extremely straightforward. The readers want to see that you have thoroughly considered the demands and that you have the time. Along with talking about work and the people on your team, mention family and friends or other support networks that you have. Nothing is too personal here.

Essay 4 (Optional): If necessary, you may use this optional essay to explain any extenuating circumstances of which the Admissions Committee should be aware. (300 words maximum)

The fourth optional essay question should be answered only by those with extenuating circumstances. Read more on our approach tooptional essays here.

Need help with your EMBA applications? Personal MBA Coach is here to guide you via our Executive MBA Admissions Consulting!

The post How to Approach the 2021-2022 Wharton EMBA Essays appeared first on Personal MBA Coach.
Send PM
What Omicron Might Mean for Your MBA Degree Plans [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Personal MBA Coach: What Omicron Might Mean for Your MBA Degree Plans
It is hard to believe that nearly two years after publishing our first article on the global pandemic, we are continuing to consider how COVID-19 is affecting the MBA application process.

It is easy to jump to panic mode as news of yet another, potentially vaccine-resistant, variant spreads around the globe. However, Personal MBA Coach would like to share a few thoughts about how this new strain of the all-too-familiar virus might affect the MBA application cycle and your MBA degree plans.

First and foremost, uncertainly is here to stay – at least for the foreseeable future.

While this is the news no one wants to hear, it may be time to accept the fact that COVID-19 might change some of the realities of the MBA experience. Putting your MBA plans on hold until some point “after the pandemic” might no longer be practical. Throughout the pandemic we have sent clients around the world to top schools. They have studied, networked and recruited. We hear positive things from all clients at top schools. Post-MBA employment is very strong and with many remote positions, additional opportunities have emerged that were not possible a few years ago.

The pandemic may not be “over” soon, so Personal MBA Coach advises candidates to consider whether an MBA is right for you in the long run. If the answer is yes AND you already have 3 to 6 years of pre-MBA experience, waiting until things are back to normal may unfortunately be futile. Personal MBA Coach advises 2022-2023 applicants to begin their Early Planning in January/February of 2022. It seems unlikely that we will have any answers as to when the pandemic will end by that time.

The good news is that MBA programs have learned to adapt to this new reality, and while technology has certainly changed the MBA education, it almost every instance this change has been for the better.

While the days of online learning are essentially behind us, the technological investments schools made during the pandemic remain, facilitating connections like never before. Further, some schools are starting to invest in Virtual Reality (VR) and other forms of educational technology. For example, INSEAD has turned to VR as a new learning experience to help students explore different scenarios and business challenges.

Programs also now offer courses that delve into this virtual world. Columbia Business School’s Virtual Reality & Artificial Intelligence class examines how these new technology forms are forever shaping and transforming the media landscape.

Even if you are not worried about the MBA experience, you may be asking: But why should I go to business school now when jobs are easier to find?

The answer to that question is simple – the MBA is a LONG-TERM investment. As information gathered from the Graduate Management Admissions Council’s latest Enrolled Student Survey Report shows, the vast majority of MBA students remain confident that business school is worth the price tag.

Even with the pandemic, MBA graduates are reporting a 77% increase in median salary post-MBA compared to the salary of those with a bachelor’s degree. With the median post-MBA earnings at $115,000, this salary premium could help MBA graduates earn $3 million more than bachelor’s degree holders over the course of 35 years.

Plus, by applying to business school when employment is strong and uncertainty is high, your odds of getting admitted to your top school or earning a coveted scholarship increase. Taking a risk during these tumultuous times definitely can work in your favor.

All of that said, we do expect that some changes to the MBA application process will remain for some time:

1. Interviews continue to be virtual (for the most part).

We do not expect a return to in-person interviews anytime soon for all schools. However, one of our clients interviewed in-person with a school this week, so this is happening in small pockets. As technology becomes more sophisticated and interviewers adjust to the virtual format, they are beginning to see the benefits of virtual interviews in reducing travel time and scheduling complexity. While at some point fully in-person interviews may become a reality, we would not be surprised if virtual interviews continue to account for a sizeable percentage of overall interview volume.

2. Test waivers may be extended another year.

While the jury is still out as to whether GMAT/GRE/EA scores are truly needed to make optimal admissions decisions, Personal MBA Coach would be surprised if those schools with waivers in place rush to remove them for the upcoming cycle. Of course, it is too early to know for sure.

3. Candidates will not be expected to visit campuses.

International travel remains a risk, and we do not expect any admissions directors to fault candidates for not making a trip to their campuses. The good news is that this lowers the barriers to application as candidates no longer need to include travel expenses in your MBA application budget.

All together, these factors ease the MBA application process. So, if you have been considering an MBA, do not let Omicron hold you back!

The post What Omicron Might Mean for Your MBA Degree Plans appeared first on Personal MBA Coach.
Send PM
Are You Ready For MBA Round 2 Deadlines? [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Personal MBA Coach: Are You Ready For MBA Round 2 Deadlines?
With the first round 2 deadline in less than 4 weeks, it is time to check on your progress and make sure your business school applications are on track and solid.

If you are not sure if your applications are ready, here are 6 questions to ask yourself.

Do you have a well-articulated personal story?

• Is your personal story clear? Does the reader walk away knowing who you are and what matters to you? The admissions committee does not want to read a long explanation detailing a chronological flow of your life. Instead, your story must be focused, logical and unique.
  • Are the stories consistent throughout all of the application components? Your resume, essays, short answer responses and letters of recommendation should all include the same general message. Any inconsistencies are an instant red flag!
Is it clear WHY you want an MBA?

• Have you thought out and articulated why you want an MBA? To get promoted or to gain “business skills” are NOT good reasons.
  • While not all schools ask this question directly, all candidates should be able to explain the skills and experiences they hope to gain from an MBA and how these skills will help them attain their career goals. These goals can be shared either in the essay or in the interview (if the offer is extended).

Does your application include specific information about the target school?

• A strong MBA application will include school specifics where appropriate. Make sure that your essays mention specific information such as unique classes, programs, or professors that you are interested in.
  • Admissions committee members read thousands of essays every year and it is easy for them to determine who is genuinely interested in a school versus who crafted a generic essay. Try to connect your background and interests to the things you would like to do on campus so you showcase a bit of personality.
Are your letters of recommendation strong enough?

• One of the most overlooked areas when working to build a strong MBA application is the LOR section. Even if your recommenders are not comfortable sharing their letters, there are steps you should take to ensure quality.
  • It is important to go over your complete story with your recommenders so that they can write letters that help to corroborate that story.
  • If your goals and/or story have changed as you have moved through the application phase, make sure to update your recommenders.
Are your essays strong enough?

• Do you find yourself re-reading paragraphs because you do not see how they fit into the essay?
  • It is a good idea to have someone else read your essays. Ask someone who is not extremely familiar with what you do daily. This will help to ensure you are talking about your experiences with the right level of detail for someone outside of your industry.
  • Is each essay telling the reader something about you? While a story can often add to or even make a great essay, the goal of every essay is to convince the admissions committee that you will add value on campus (and beyond). Make sure every essay sends a message about what impact you will make, and think about how they all connect with each other.

Have you perfected your short answer questions?

• Do your short answer responses share additional aspects of your candidacy? Naturally, you cannot detail all your accomplishments and traits in your application essays, so the short answer section is your chance to share these important achievements.
  • Also ask yourself if your responses are consistent. The voice used in the short answer section should match that shared throughout your essays and paint a clear, credible image of who you are as a candidate.
Remember, if you have any doubts about whether your applications are ready for MBA round 2 deadlines while reading these tips, Personal MBA Coach is willing to be your guide. We also help candidates navigate video and optional essays when applicable.

The post Are You Ready For MBA Round 2 Deadlines? appeared first on Personal MBA Coach.
Send PM
Personal MBA Coach’s MBA Application Checklist [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Personal MBA Coach: Personal MBA Coach’s MBA Application Checklist
With less than three weeks left until MBA application deadlines, it is time to make your list and check it twice. While most checklists will merely cover the basics, Personal MBA Coach challenges you to ask these 9 questions to assess whether your applications are REALLY ready!

1) Is your personal story clear? Does the reader walk away knowing who you are and what matters to you?

2) Have you thought out and articulated why you want an MBA? To get promoted or to gain “business skills” are NOT good enough reasons.

3) Are you consistent throughout all application components? Your resume, essays, short answer questions and letters of recommendation should all include the same general message. Any inconsistencies are an instant red flag.

4) Does your application include specific information about the target school? Admissions committee members read thousands of essays every year, and it is very easy for them to determine who is genuinely interested in the school and knows a lot about the program.

5) Are your letters of recommendation strong enough? Did you advise your recommenders to use specific examples and compare you to other candidates?

6) Are your essays easy to read? Or do you find yourself re-reading paragraphs because you do not see how they fit into the essay?

7) Did you have someone else read your essays? This will give you an outsider’s objective opinion of your accomplishments and help to ensure you are talking about your experiences with the right level of detail for someone outside of your industry.

8) Do you have an MBA specific resume? For an MBA resume, you want to show how you have been successful and demonstrated leadership. You are selling your future potential. Make sure not to get too detailed here, though.

9) Have you actually answered every question? It can be tempting to go off-book or include additional information but adcom members ask each question for a specific reason. Ensure you are answering the question asked and not offering what you think they want to hear.

After answering these questions, if you have doubts about whether your applications are strong enough, reach out today!

The post Personal MBA Coach’s MBA Application Checklist appeared first on Personal MBA Coach.
Send PM
Personal MBA Coach’s EMBA Program Overview [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Personal MBA Coach: Personal MBA Coach’s EMBA Program Overview
With EMBA deadlines for schools such as MIT, Columbia and Cornell approaching in just a matter of weeks, it is officially EMBA application season.

To help you begin developing your EMBA target school list and EMBA application strategy, Personal MBA Coach would like to share an overview of some of the top EMBA programs. (For those of you still deciding between an EMBA and an MBA, check out the benefits of each program and what sets them apart here.)

Overview of Top Executive MBA Programs
“Traditional” EMBA programs are designed for EMBA applicants who want to continue working full time and attend classes on the weekends. Some of the most popular programs include:

Chicago Booth EMBA
  • The Chicago Booth EMBA program lasts 21 months. Students are assigned to Chicago, London, or Hong Kong as their primary campus.
  • Upcoming EMBA deadlines are 2/14/2022, 4/4/2022 & 6/6/2022.
Wharton EMBA
  • The Wharton EMBA program lasts 24 months. Students can choose between the school’s Philadelphia or San Francisco campus.
  • The upcoming EMBA deadline is 2/9/2022.
Kellogg EMBA
  • The Kellogg EMBA is a 24-month program. Students have the choice between the Miami, FL and Evanston, IL campuses.
  • Upcoming EMBA deadlines are 4/20/2022 & 6/1/2022 (September 2022 start) or 8/17/2022 & 10/5/2022 (January 2023 start).

Columbia Business School EMBA
  • Columbia Business School offers an EMBA NY Friday/Saturday option, lasting 20 months, and an EMBA NY Saturday option, which lasts 24 months.
  • Upcoming EMBA deadlines are 1/12/2022 & 2/23/2022 (EMBA NY Saturday) or 3/23/2022 & 5/25/2022 (EMBA NY Friday/Saturday).
Duke Fuqua EMBA
  • Duke Fuqua’s Weekend EMBA is a 22-month program with one three-day residency a month and hybrid distance learning periods in between. The Global EMBA program lasts 21 months and offers one-week residencies in Asia, Latin America, and Europe, preceded and followed by distance learning periods and a final two-week residency in Durham, NC.
  • Upcoming EMBA deadlines are 1/5/2022, 2/2/2022, 3/2/2022 & 4/6/2022 (Weekend EMBA) or 1/5/2022, 2/2/2022, 3/2/2022, 4/6/2022 & 5/4/2022 (Global EMBA).
Michigan Ross EMBA
  • The Michigan Ross EMBA program holds on-campus residencies once a month from Friday to Saturday over the course of 21 months. Students have the choice between Ann Arbor, MI and Los Angeles, CA campuses.
  • Upcoming deadlines are 2/1/2022, 3/15/2022 & 5/1/2022.
NYU Stern EMBA
  • The 22-month NYU Stern EMBA program holds classes every other week. In the first year of the program, each class participates in a one-week international residency.
  • Upcoming EMBA deadlines are 3/1/2022 & 6/1/2022 (August 2022 start) or 10/1/2022 & 11/1/2022 (January 2023 start).

UCLA Anderson EMBA
  • UCLA Anderson’s EMBA program offers biweekly and monthly schedules for students over the course of 22 months. Before the second year begins, students can travel abroad to destinations in Asia, South America, and Europe for a one-week residential course.
  • Upcoming EMBA deadlines are 2/1/2022 & 5/1/2022.
Berkeley Haas EMBA
  • The 22-month Berkeley Haas EMBA program holds classes every Thursday through Saturday about once a month. The program offers five field immersions that explore leadership, innovation, entrepreneurship, international business, and business and public policy.
  • Upcoming EMBA deadlines are 2/9/2022 & 4/7/2022.
MIT Sloan EMBA
  • MIT Sloan’s 20-month program holds classes every third weekend, with one week-long module every six months. Students also embark on a one-week international project trip.
  • Upcoming EMBA deadlines are 1/13/2022, 3/17/2022 & 5/26/2022.
Yale SOM EMBA
  • Yale SOM’s EMBA program lasts 22 months and holds classes every other weekend, Friday and Saturday consecutively.
  • Upcoming EMBA deadlines are 1/31/2022 & 3/30/2022.
Want to learn more about these top programs and their application requirements? Download Personal MBA Coach’s free EMBA E-Book.

If you are ready to begin working on your EMBA applications, Personal MBA Coach is here to guide you! Through our EMBA Packages, we have placed applicants into all the top global EMBA programs with a near perfect success rate.

Founded by a Wharton MBA and MIT Sloan graduate who sits on the Association of International Graduate Admissions Consultants Board of Directors, Personal MBA Coach has been guiding clients for 15 years and is consistently ranked #1 or #2 by leading sources including Poets&Quants.

The post Personal MBA Coach’s EMBA Program Overview appeared first on Personal MBA Coach.
Send PM
MBA Planning Week 1: Make Your Career Work Harder For You [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Personal MBA Coach: MBA Planning Week 1: Make Your Career Work Harder For You
Eat healthier. Exercise more. Get organized.

These may be some of the new year’s resolutions you had in mind. But for those of you hoping to apply to business school in 2022, add MBA application planning to this list. (If you are still deciding whether now is the right time to apply, check out these tips from Personal MBA Coach on whether it is the right time for an MBA here.)

If you want to get a head start and keep on track in the new year, do not miss Personal MBA Coach’s 4-part MBA planning series this January, which breaks down the MBA planning process into 4 easy to follow steps.

Check out part 1 now:  Make Your Career Work Harder for You!

Without changing jobs, there are some steps you can and should be taking now to ensure that when you sit down to draft your MBA essays and prepare for your interviews you have plenty to talk about.

1) Be honest about your desires.

That may seem simple, but many of us are afraid to be straightforward about our ambitions at work. Whether or not you can be transparent now about your MBA aspirations, let your manager in on your long-term goals. Tell them what skills you hope to master. If there is an experience at work you want to have, ask for it.

Many managers will be more than happy to find projects to help you close existing gaps or develop new expertise.

2) Take on extra work.

Yes, we really said this. Now is the time to ask for extra projects. Look specifically for the ones that can fill experience gaps. Even if you have already let your manager know about the skills you are looking to perfect pre-MBA, do not rely only on them to find assignments that fit your needs.

In an ideal world, you would work just on your dream projects, but we know that is not possible. By identifying your own additional projects, you will get more chances to build the skills you desire. With Omicron continuing to wreak havoc on your social life and travel plans, there is no better time to put in longer hours. Plus, with many companies short staffed right now, your extra efforts will be appreciated!

3) Get involved at the office.

Internal projects are a great way to beef up your pre-MBA leadership experience, and almost every company has an internal initiative that requires help. Offer to plan the next virtual team-building activity, set up a training or speaker series, or lead recruiting efforts. If nothing exists, create it yourself. Starting a new program at work will score bonus points with your colleagues and give you plenty to share with admissions committees on your applications.

4) Look for mentoring opportunities.

Even if you have not had the chance to manage your own team, you can still begin to perfect your management skills. Take a new hire or even an intern under your wing and show them the ropes. If you can be a formal mentor, great! But if such an opportunity does not exist, an informal mentor relationship still supplements your pre-MBA leadership experience.

5) Get your own mentor.

Find someone you admire or connect with at work and invite them to a virtual coffee or happy hour call. Ask about their career. See if they are willing to give you general career guidance.

At this stage, you do not want to ask for anything specific. Instead, start to build a relationship. Over time, you might be lucky enough to develop an office champion or a future recommender. Regardless, getting advice from someone more senior can always help.

For those of you looking for custom advice on how you can optimize your profile for future MBA or graduate school success, check out Personal MBA Coach’s early planning services!

Founded by a Wharton MBA and MIT Sloan graduate who sits on the Association of International Graduate Admissions Consultants Board of Directors, Personal MBA Coach has been guiding clients for 15 years and is consistently ranked #1 or #2 by leading sources including Poets&Quants.

Last cycle, our clients earned more than $6.5M in scholarships!

The post MBA Planning Week 1: Make Your Career Work Harder For You appeared first on Personal MBA Coach.
Send PM
MBA Planning Week 2: Enhancing Your Extracurricular Profile [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Personal MBA Coach: MBA Planning Week 2: Enhancing Your Extracurricular Profile
Planning to apply to business school in 2022 (or beyond)? Get started now with Personal MBA Coach’s 2022 MBA Planning tips.

Check out week 2 today: Enhancing Your Extracurricular Profile

In case you missed it, read week 1: Making Your Career Work Harder for You

Strengthening extracurricular profiles is one of the key areas Personal MBA Coach is working on with MBA candidates this January. By putting in the extra effort now, you will have ample opportunities to add real value before the deadlines this fall and avoid being penalized for not having a track record of involvement and leadership by the time summer comes.

Given the current uptick in COVID cases, volunteering in person may be a challenge, depending on your circumstances. Thankfully, there are still a number of online opportunities where you can make a real impact.

Below are three key guiding principles to keep in mind when determining the best extracurriculars for MBA application success.

1) Quality over quantity

No one has the time to work with 10 different organizations. Having a laundry list of activities is not going to appeal to admissions committee members. Instead, focus your efforts on organizations or areas where you can have a real impact and add value. There is no “right” number of activities. This will vary from client to client and depend on the depth of your work. However, more often than not, less is more – particularly if you are just getting started now.

2) Focus on leadership

You have probably heard this time and time again, but it is important enough to repeat: Business schools want leaders. This is true for all MBA programs, not just Harvard Business School. While there are countless ways that you can (and should) display leadership throughout your profile, extracurricular activities are one great opportunity to do so. Look for an organization where you can step up, or explore options to expand your role at an existing organization. Take the time to do this now so that you have clear results to share come essay time.

3) Activities should fit with your profile

Successful applications share a consistent and impactful story. MBA admissions committees should instantly see who you are, what has defined you and why you have made specific choices. Choose areas that you are passionate about and that fit with your story. For example, if you want a career as an educational consultant, consider volunteering in the education industry. If your passion is tennis, give tennis lessons to underprivileged children in your neighborhood. You do not need to pick the most unique or prestigious charity. Instead, do what you love! During application time, you will find many strategic ways to use your activities to fill gaps in your profile. Do not underestimate the importance of extracurriculars and get started today!

Not sure what your gaps are? Need advice on where to begin or how to choose the best extracurriculars for MBA applications? Personal MBA Coach can help! This is the perfect time to get started and have our personal one-on-one support through the entire process, including crafting your extracurricular strategy!

Founded by a Wharton MBA and MIT Sloan graduate who sits on the Association of International Graduate Admissions Consultants Board of Directors, Personal MBA Coach has been guiding clients for 15 years and is consistently ranked #1 or #2 by leading sources including Poets&Quants.

The post MBA Planning Week 2: Enhancing Your Extracurricular Profile appeared first on Personal MBA Coach.
Send PM
Columbia Deferred MBA Program Essay Analysis [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Personal MBA Coach: Columbia Deferred MBA Program Essay Analysis
The Columbia Deferred MBA Program is open to those in their senior year of college or in their final year of a subsequent graduate program.

Through CBS’s Deferred MBA program, applicants will then defer admission for two to five years, allowing them to gain pre-MBA work experience.

Columbia’s latest Deferred Enrollment Program class profile reports 216 admits with a GMAT range of 540-790 and a GPA range from 3.11 to 4.0.

Are you interested in applying? Below, Personal MBA Coach shares eligibility information and our analysis of the Columbia Deferred Enrollment Program essay questions. Do not miss these insider tips from Personal MBA Coach’s Nicole Shay – former Columbia Business School Admissions Director.

This year, the CBS Deferred MBA deadline is April 15. Looking for help with your deferred MBA applications? Find out more about Personal MBA Coach’s Deferred MBA Comprehensive Packages here.

Columbia MBA Deferred Admission Eligibility
The Columbia Deferred MBA program is available to students graduating during the current academic year from a bachelor’s degree program, as well as those completing a graduate degree program. Graduate degree applicants must have started their program directly after graduating from their undergraduate school to be eligible. Students who are enrolled in law school, medical school or Ph.D. programs are not eligible.

Columbia Deferred MBA Essay Questions
Essay 1: Why are you interested in obtaining a Columbia MBA in the future? (300 words maximum)

This is your chance to tell CBS both WHAT you will do with an MBA and WHY Columbia is the right place for you. Briefly mention what you plan to do before beginning your MBA. Then, discuss both your short-term goals (what job you hope to have immediately after graduating from the MBA) and your long-term plans.

These goals should demonstrate what you are hoping to do professionally post-MBA and show knowledge of your future industry. It also would be appropriate, if there is space, to include a sentence on the skills you will gain in the short term to prepare you for the long term.

Then, discuss specifically what skills you will gain at CBS. For each item, be specific about what you will learn and how you will apply this knowledge.

Finally, include at least one sentence on fit and culture. This is the chance to get a bit more personal and explain why you are interested in the school from a personal standpoint.

Essay 2: Who is a leader you admire, and why? (300 words maximum)

This short essay is a loaded one, prompting candidates to think about both their personal stories and leadership style. To achieve this balance, select a leader you hope to emulate. While providing some context on this leader is important, remember that this essay is about you. This is your chance to show the admissions committee the type of leader you are and will continue to be AND how your experiences and passions have shaped your leadership.

This leader does not have to be famous. Good examples include someone who had similar life circumstances. A leader with a shared passion or a common goal could also work well here.

To get more insider essay advice for the top deferred MBA programs, download our latest eBook for tips on how to tackle the MBA Application Essays for all deferred MBA programs today!

Remember that, as with full-time MBA programs, deferred MBA applications also require a number of additional elements including letters of recommendation, an MBA resume, short answer questions, and possible video essays.

Make sure that you set aside sufficient time for these application extras!

If you are ready to begin working on your Deferred MBA applications, Personal MBA Coach is here to guide you through our Deferred MBA Packages!

The post Columbia Deferred MBA Program Essay Analysis appeared first on Personal MBA Coach.
Send PM
How to Approach the 2022 Kellogg EMBA Essays [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Personal MBA Coach: How to Approach the 2022 Kellogg EMBA Essays
If you are considering an Executive MBA, Kellogg’s EMBA program is one of the top choices for working professionals.

Students can begin the two-year program in either September or January, and they have the choice between the Miami, FL and Evanston, IL campuses.

Those at the Miami campus attend classes once a month from Thursday to Sunday, while students at the Evanston campus attend classes every other week from Friday through Saturday, and the occasional Sunday.

Want to know if the Kellogg Executive MBA program is the right fit for you? Take a look at the school’s latest class profile. On average, EMBA students are around 38 years old and have 14 years of work experience. That said, those who are earlier or later in their careers also achieve great success in the Kellogg Executive MBA program.

Below, please find this year’s 2022 application deadlines and Personal MBA Coach’s advice on how to tackle the Kellogg EMBA essays. Additionally, we have shared details regarding our Executive MBA Packages for those ready to set themselves up for EMBA application success.

Upcoming Kellogg EMBA Application Deadlines:
September 2022 Start Date: April 20, 2022

January 2023 Start Date: August 17, 2022

The 2022 Kellogg EMBA Essays:
Essay 1: What do you want to achieve in your professional life? What have you already done to get there and how do you think Kellogg can help you? (approximately 450 words)

Essay 2: Values are what guide you in your life and work. What values are important to you and how have they influenced you? (approximately 450 words)

Personal MBA Coach’s Kellogg EMBA Essay Tips:
Essay 1: What do you want to achieve in your professional life? What have you already done to get there and how do you think Kellogg can help you? (approximately 450 words)

This first Kellogg EMBA essay is a very direct goals and why MBA question, and we recommend a straightforward response.

Begin by establishing where you are in your career today. This question does not require you to walk through your entire resume. Instead, focus on your past just enough to establish your key skills as well as how and why you will succeed in the future.

Next, share both your short-term and long-term goals. A strong answer here will be very specific and go beyond sharing your target company and role. Instead, tell the reader what specifically you hope to accomplish in these roles. Adding a brief perspective on how you arrived at these aspirations may also be relevant and helpful here, particularly if your goals are not obvious.

Finally, ask yourself what skill gaps you have that might prevent you from succeeding in these goals and how a Kellogg EMBA will help you close these gaps. Close this essay by sharing this detail with Kellogg. You should discuss not only the skill you are hoping to gain but also specifically how Kellogg will help you. To answer this question, take the time to research all that Kellogg has to offer. Then, detail the opportunities you plan to take advantage of on campus. Avoid vague statements or discussing offerings that would be available at any school. Do not include a laundry list here. Instead, focus on a few key items. Think about classes you are particularly interested in or perhaps professors you are looking to study with. Be sure to show your understanding of Kellogg’s culture here as well.

Essay 2: Values are what guide you in your life and work. What values are important to you and how have they influenced you? (approximately 450 words)

This second and challenging essay question is the same one asked of full-time Kellogg MBA applicants. For the most part, our advice for EMBA applicants is similar to our advice for full-time applicants. Check out Personal MBA Coach’s tips for addressing this question here.

Keep in mind that EMBA applicants are expected to have more leadership experience than full-time applicants. Plus, unlike the full-time MBA application, the EMBA application does not have a specific leadership question. This means it would be ideal for applicants to think about how their values affect their leadership style as they answer this question.

How Personal MBA Coach Can Help
Are you looking for help with your EMBA applications? Personal MBA Coach is here to guide you via our Executive MBA Admissions Consulting! We are proud to have placed applicants into all the top global EMBA programs with a near perfect success rate. Plus, we have a former Kellogg admissions interviewer on our team to help you nail your interview.

The post How to Approach the 2022 Kellogg EMBA Essays appeared first on Personal MBA Coach.
Send PM
MBA Planning Week 3: Planning Ahead for the GMAT/GRE/EA [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Personal MBA Coach: MBA Planning Week 3: Planning Ahead for the GMAT/GRE/EA
To give you a head start and keep you on track in the New Year, Personal MBA Coach has developed a 4-part MBA planning series!

Check out week 3 today: Planning Ahead for the GMAT/GRE/EA

(In case you missed it, check out Week 1: Make Your Career Work Harder For You and Week 2: Enhancing Your Extracurricular Profile)

If you have not researched standardized tests since you took the SAT or ACT many years ago, a lot has changed. GMAT scores are valid for 5 years AND you can take the exam in-person up to 5 times during a 12-month period. There is also a lifetime max of 8 tests, and you can take the test once every 16 calendar days.

Similarly, you can take the GRE once every 21 days and up to 5 times within any 12-month period. GRE scores are also valid for 5 years. There is currently no lifetime test limit for the GRE.

The Executive Assessment (EA) is a newcomer to the standardized test party. It has been used for EMBA applications, and more full-time schools are beginning to adopt it as well.

At this time, Wharton, MIT Sloan, Columbia Business School, Chicago Booth, Kellogg, NYU Stern, Yale SOM, Duke Fuqua, Berkeley Haas and UVA Darden are among the top schools that accept the EA for full-time applications. The EA is a shorter test so if you are pressed for time, it may not be a bad option.

If you choose to take the GMAT or GRE, but you are not happy with the result, you can cancel your score and the report does not go to the school. This change has led to candidates taking an exam multiple times. Our average candidate now sits for an exam 2 to 4 times (with some giving the test even more tries). While this policy is great on the one hand, on the other, it has caused average GMAT/GRE scores to rise as more candidates cancel low scores.

MBA test preparation practices have also changed for applicants as online GMAT, GRE, and EA options continue to be available due to the coronavirus.

Some schools even have test waivers in place. While it is too early to know for certain, Personal MBA Coach would be surprised if the schools that offer these waivers rush to remove them in the upcoming application cycle. That said, securing a strong test score remains a great way to stand out as a competitive applicant.

As for retesting, the Graduate Management Admissions Council has adapted its policy, now allowing candidates to take the GMAT Online exam up to two times. These online exams count toward the yearly and lifetime limits for the GMAT, though verifiable technical issues will not count toward this retake limit.

The EA Online also can be taken up to two times, while the GRE General Test at Home has the same retake policies as the in-person GRE.

What does all this mean for MBA hopefuls? The pressure to perform is high, and performing well takes advance planning! Personal MBA Coach has 5 MBA test preparation tips to ensure you maximize your score.

1) Start earlier than you think you should!

This may seem obvious, but with scores valid for up to 5 years and the ability to retake the test, there is no reason to wait. In fact, the earlier in your career you take the test, the better.

You have mastered most of the skills tested in the GMAT/GRE in undergrad (if not before). That said, the longer you wait, the less you will remember about reading comprehension and math fundamentals.

2) Take a practice test now to see your baseline.

Even if you do not intend to go full force on your studying just yet, take a practice test and see how you stack up. Check this score against your target schools to get a real sense of what it means. Getting a true feel for how much work you have ahead of you will allow you to be more honest with yourself when putting together a study plan.

3) Set a schedule.

Be realistic in terms of how many weeks you will set aside for studying and how many hours in each week you can carve out. Writing out a study plan will make it easier to stick to and make it less likely that you will shortchange your prep time and need to cram last minute.

4) Think about how you learn best and use this to inform your study plan.

You know how you learn best. Do you thrive with personal one-on-one support? Do you do your best learning from books or online? There are countless support options available for the GMAT/GRE/EA so think about what would be best for you and plan accordingly!

Personal MBA Coach’s tutors scored in the 99th percentile and are available to provide you with customized GMAT, GRE and EA tutoring on your schedule and based on your specific needs. Our tutors also can advise which test is best for you before you begin your MBA test preparation.

5) Read short articles in The Economist or Science every week.

This is a great way to sharpen your reading comprehension skills and expand your vocabulary. Pick a few short articles every week and make your life easier come test time with very limited effort.

The post MBA Planning Week 3: Planning Ahead for the GMAT/GRE/EA appeared first on Personal MBA Coach.
Send PM
How to Approach the 2022 Chicago Booth EMBA Essays [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Personal MBA Coach: How to Approach the 2022 Chicago Booth EMBA Essays
If you are considering an Executive MBA, Chicago Booth’s EMBA program is a great choice for working professionals.

The Chicago Booth EMBA program lasts 22 months. Students are assigned to either Chicago, London, or Hong Kong as their primary campus. All students will spend at least three weeks in Chicago, one in Hong Kong, and one in London during international session weeks. Chicago Booth prides itself in being the only United States business school that has campuses on three continents.

Want to know if the Chicago Booth Executive MBA program is the right fit for you? Check out the school’s latest class profile. On average, EMBA students are around 38 years old and have 13 years of work experience. Admitted students had an average GMAT score of 699 and an average EA score of 154.

Below, please find this year’s 2022 application deadlines and Personal MBA Coach’s advice on how to tackle the Chicago Booth Executive MBA essays. Additionally, we have shared details regarding our Executive MBA Packages for those who are ready to set themselves up for EMBA application success.

Upcoming Chicago Booth EMBA Application Deadlines:
February 14, 2022

April 4, 2022

June 6, 2022

The 2022 Chicago Booth EMBA Essays:
Required Essay: Why are you seeking an MBA from Chicago Booth and what unique knowledge and experiences do you hope to contribute to the program? (2 page maximum, single-spaced, 12 pt. font, Times New Roman)

Optional Essay: If there is anything else you would like the admissions committee to know about you, please share that information here. (1 page maximum, single-spaced, 12 pt. font, Times New Roman)

Personal MBA Coach’s Chicago Booth EMBA Essay Tips:

Required Essay: Why are you seeking an MBA from Chicago Booth and what unique knowledge and experiences do you hope to contribute to the program? (2 page maximum, single-spaced, 12 pt. font, Times New Roman)

With only one required Chicago Booth EMBA Essay, MBA applicants have a lot to cover here. Luckily, this lengthy essay is a very straightforward one.

First things first: two pages single spaced is a lot! Most people can fit over 1,000 words in this space. That said, DO NOT feel compelled to use the entire two pages. Admissions directors are looking for succinct and well written essays, so avoid stretching out your writing just to fill the space!

Instead, aim to cover these 3 items in your Chicago Booth Executive MBA Essay.

First, you want to explain where you are in your career. This is not the time to walk through your resume. Think about answering the specific part of the prompt asking about the “unique knowledge and experiences” you will contribute to the Chicago Booth EMBA program. With this section, focus on your career: the highlights and key leadership experiences.

Your essay should also include your post-EMBA goals. Personal MBA Coach has written extensively on how to discuss post-MBA goals here. In addition to those tips, keep in mind that your EMBA goal can be an extension of what you are currently doing. However, even if you do not aspire to change jobs immediately after graduation, you should still be SPECIFIC about what you want to accomplish so it is clear to the reader how an EMBA will help you succeed. This discussion of your goals should also include your long-term plans.

Finally, you want to share your interest in Booth specifically! This discussion should include both how the Chicago Booth Executive MBA program will help you and what you will bring to the table at Chicago Booth. To answer this question well, research all that the Booth EMBA program has to offer and detail how you will take advantage of and contribute to these specific classes and programs. Avoid vague language here and do not copy and paste from your other essays. We know that completing this research while working full time is a lot of work, but taking the time to really show your interest in the program is crucial.

Optional Essay: If there is anything else you would like the admissions committee to know about you, please share that information here. (1 page maximum, single-spaced, 12 pt. font, Times New Roman)

Booth also gives candidates the opportunity to write an optional essay. Most applicants will not need to answer this question. To find out more about Personal MBA Coach’s advice on tackling optional essays, check out this article.

How Personal MBA Coach Can Help
Are you looking for help with your EMBA applications? Personal MBA Coach is here to guide you via our Executive MBA Admissions Consulting! We are proud to have placed applicants into all the top global EMBA programs with a near perfect success rate.

The post How to Approach the 2022 Chicago Booth EMBA Essays appeared first on Personal MBA Coach.
Send PM
MBA Planning Week 4: Expanding Your Network for Long-Term Success [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Personal MBA Coach: MBA Planning Week 4: Expanding Your Network for Long-Term Success
To give you a head start and keep you on track in the new year, Personal MBA Coach has developed a 4-part MBA Planning series!

Check out week 4 today: Expanding Your Network for Long-Term Success

(In case you missed them, check out Week 1: Make Your Career Work Harder For You, Week 2: Enhancing Your Extracurricular Profile and Week 3: Planning Ahead for the GMAT/GRE/EA)

It should come as no surprise that networking is a key part of every long-term career strategy. It is also something that many of our clients struggle with. To get you on the right path this year, Personal MBA Coach has some tips on when and how to start MBA networking.

It is never too early to start networking. Whether you are planning to apply to business school later this year or a few years from now, a strong network will position you for success. You should look to build your network in four areas: at work, with alumni/current students from your target schools, with professionals in your preferred field, and with admissions professionals.

While MBA networking may be more of a challenge during this new COVID-19 wave , there are still some actions you can be taking now. In the spirit of MBA planning, we have included one goal for each of these networks to get you started.

1. Network at work.

Find one mentor at work and begin to establish this relationship. Look for someone who knows you well and is more experienced. If the relationship progresses, it can be a source of solid career advice from someone who can identify your strengths and weaknesses. Perhaps this mentor could even write you a letter of recommendation when the time comes.

However, do not force the relationship. Start slowly by asking to schedule a virtual or in-person coffee chat. Given that a lot of people are still working from home, many are anxious to find new ways to connect, so this invitation is likely to be well received.

Then, ask a lot of questions to see if there is a good fit. Remember, finding a true mentor is a process, so do not get discouraged if it takes time to find the right person.

30-day goal: Schedule one (virtual) chat.

2. Network with students or alums at your target business schools.

Speaking to current students or alumni at your schools of choice is an important part of the process. Many candidates ask how many people they should reach out to. We advise two or three per school.

Having a laundry list of current students or alums that you have reached out to is not necessary and including it anywhere in your application would be overkill for most schools. Instead, try to have a few meaningful conversations. Alumni directories from your undergraduate university or current/former firm and your personal network are great places to start.

30-day goal: Locate and email two current students or alums about their business school experiences.

3. Network with professionals in your target field.

Setting up these relationships now is a great way to get a head start for recruiting time. Start small by finding someone who has your dream role and invite them for a coffee chat. This can certainly be virtual if needed. Tell them you want to learn more about their job and how they got there.

Most people love to talk about themselves and are happy to help aspiring professionals. Avoid being too pushy, however. Meet at a time convenient for the professional and do not ask for anything.

This is not the time to ask for help getting a job or for a recommendation. Instead, let the relationship grow organically.

Speaking with strangers can be intimidating, but do not let this stop you. Meeting with alumni from your alma mater or friends of friends/family can be an easier place to begin.

30-day goal: Reach out to one professional and ask to schedule a meeting.

4. Network with admissions professionals.

While there are many ways to connect with your target schools, MBA fairs are a great way to start. While many of these events remain virtual, a few are once again being hosted in person.

You can meet multiple admissions professionals in one place and ask any burning questions. Even if your target schools are not scheduled to attend, these events can be great networking opportunities. Plus, you can get helpful tips from the presentations and other students. Plus, they are easy and low risk.

The MBA Tour:

The MBA Tour is a great opportunity to explore your business school options and determine which programs best align with your MBA goals. This year, The MBA Tour is offering a number of in-person and virtual events.

In-Person: San Francisco, Boston, Washington, DC, New York

Virtual: India & South Asia, North Asia, South East Asia, Middle East & Central Asia, Europe, Eastern North America, West/Mountain North America

AccessMBA:

AccessMBA is also hosting several in-person and virtual events for MBA hopefuls this winter. Stay tuned for details on which events Personal MBA Coach will be attending!

In-Person: Boston, New York, Washington, DC, Los Angeles, San Francisco

Virtual: East Coast, West Coast

30-day goal: Locate one event in your area and register/put it on your calendar.

Remember, networking is a skill and one you will perfect throughout your career. But you don’t have to do it all at once. So, start small and take one step today!

The post MBA Planning Week 4: Expanding Your Network for Long-Term Success appeared first on Personal MBA Coach.
GMAT Club Bot
MBA Planning Week 4: Expanding Your Network for Long-Term Success [#permalink]
   1  ...  10   11   12   13   14  ...  19