Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 23:09 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 23:09

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Difficulty: Sub 505 Levelx   Strengthenx                        
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 380 [73]
Given Kudos: 24
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 640 Q50 V25
GPA: 3.5
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 3379 [15]
Given Kudos: 877
Concentration: Marketing, International Business
Schools: HBS '19
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
GPA: 4
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
General Discussion
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31934 [3]
Given Kudos: 290
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Status:Final Call! Will Achieve Target ANyHow This Tym! :)
Own Kudos [?]: 153 [3]
Given Kudos: 135
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V25
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Re: PhishCo runs a number of farms in the arid province of Nufa, depending [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
PhishCo runs a number of farms in the arid province of Nufa, depending largely on the irrigation. Now, as a part of a plan to efficiently increase the farms' total production, it plans to drill down to an aquifer containing warm, slightly salty water that will be used to raise fish in ponds. The water from the ponds will later be used to supplement piped-in irrigation water for PhishCo's vegetable fields, and the ponds and accompanying vegetation should help reduce the heat in the area of the farms.

Plan : To efficiently increase the farms' total production.
How? To drill down to an aquifer containing warm, slightly salty water that will be used to raise fish in ponds.

Which of the following would, if true, most strongly suggest that the plan, if implemented, would increase the overall efficiency of PhishCo's farms?

(A) Most of the vegetation to be placed around the ponds is native to Nufa.
As per my understanding, Native vegetation is used to survive in the arid conditions of the province of Nufa. So, there chances of thriving in such arid conditions is more as compared to the non-native vegetation which may or may not thrive. SO, it slightly strengthens. It will contribute to the productivity of the farms.
But what will be the role of pond and the fishes in those ponds then. If Just by planting native vegetation would contribute to productivity. SO, it does not support the plan. We are looking for an option that will support the plan's prospective of increasing the productivity of farm efficiently and effectively. So, incorrect.

(B) Fish raised on PhishCo's farms are likely to be saleable in the nearest urban areas.
This will increase the Farms PROFITABILITY not the FARM's PRODUCTIVITY. so, INCORRECT.

(C) Organic waste from fish in the pond water will help to fertilize fields where it is used for irrigation.
PONDS + FISH -- there two helpful indirect beneficial usages : (Without any extra COST)
1. Fertilization of the fields by the organic waste of fish present in the irrigation water.
2. Usage of the salty water for irrigation.
So, this options supports that both the EFFICIENCY and PRODUCTIVITY of the farm will increase. so CORRECT.

(D) The govt of Nufa will help to arrange loan financing to partially cover the costs of drilling.
Governments help in loan procurement is a good step, it will reduce some of the efforts/work of the PhishCo. But it does not help in increase of farm's PRODUCTIVITY or EFFICIENCY.

(E) Ponds will be located on low-lying land now partially occupied by grain crops.
This suggests that creation of ponds will actually decrease productivity as they will occupy the productive land used by GRAIN CROPS, which contribute to the productivity of the farms.
IIM School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1239 [3]
Given Kudos: 1207
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
Re: PhishCo runs a number of farms in the arid province of Nufa, depending [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
chetan2u GMATNinja VeritasPrepKarishma

PhishCo runs a number of farms in the arid province of Nufa, depending largely on the irrigation. Now, as a part of a plan to efficiently increase the farms' total production, it plans to drill down to an aquifer containing warm, slightly salty water that will be used to raise fish in ponds. The water from the ponds will later be used to supplement piped-in irrigation water for PhishCo's vegetable fields, and the ponds and accompanying vegetation should help reduce the heat in the area of the farms.

Which of the following would, if true, most strongly suggest that the plan, if implemented, would increase the overall efficiency of PhishCo's farms?

A) Most of the vegetation to be placed around the ponds is native to Nufa.

B) Fish raised on PhishCo's farms are likely to be saleable in the nearest urban areas.

C) Organic waste from fish in the pond water will help to fertilize fields where it is used for irrigation.

D) The govt of Nufa will help to arrange loan financing to partially cover the costs of drilling.

E) Ponds will be located on low-lying land now partially occupied by grain crops.

Quote:
Hi,

the argument is to find alternate method of irrigation..

But the most important WORD here is - increase the overall EFFICIENCY of PhishCo's farms.

so we look for a choice that tells us that the efficieny will increase by this alternate method of irrigation. C tells us exactlt that..
C tells us that NOT ONLY water is going to be available BUT ALSO fertilizers in the form of fish waste will be avail..

C

I got to OA with completely different approach and would like to validate my reasoning.

This is strengthen question and I need to strengthen that goal of plan will succeed. What is the goal?
To efficiently increase the farms' total production. Production depends on irrigation.

I do not see any alternative approach here in the argument.

Quote:
PhishCo runs a number of farms in the arid province of Nufa, depending largely on the irrigation.

Lots of farms in nearby province of Nufa are run by Phishco and these farms are hugely dependent on irrigation.

Quote:
Now, as a part of a plan to efficiently increase the farms' total production, it plans to drill down to an aquifer containing warm, slightly salty water that will be used to raise fish in ponds.

To achieve a goal of efficiently increasing farms' total production, Phishco proposed to drill down to an aquifer containing warm, slightly salty water that will be used to raise fish in ponds.

Quote:
The water from the ponds will later be used to supplement piped-in irrigation water for PhishCo's vegetable fields, and the ponds and accompanying vegetation should help reduce the heat in the area of the farms.

I can cross out the part which is not relevant to my goal here. This sentence shows how my goal will be achieved.

Quote:

Location of ponds is immaterial to the execution of plan

Quote:
B) Fish raised on PhishCo's farms are likely to be saleable in the nearest urban areas.

No , we are not trying to earn profit be selling fish. We need to strengthen final goal of
improving farm efficiency so that more vegetation can be grown.

Quote:
C) Organic waste from fish in the pond water will help to fertilize fields where it is used for irrigation.

Yes , this links execution of plan (Organic waste from fish in the pond water) to my goal (better fertilizer which can be
used for irrigation and more output.)

Quote:
D) The govt of Nufa will help to arrange loan financing to partially cover the costs of drilling.

Irrelevant to my final goal.

Quote:
E) Ponds will be located on low-lying land now partially occupied by grain crops.

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 997 [2]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
madhavsrinivas wrote:
Verbal Review 2017

The argument is that by implementing, new schemes, there would be some advantages.

Let us review the options

A) Irrelevant. This option is out.

B) This supports new scheme, but it does not tel what will be the effect on current crop growth. Hold for the moment.

C) This supports. So this will benefit existing agriculture. This option is better than option B.

D) Irrelevant. This option is out.

E) This actually opposes. This means some of the existing fields will be used in making Ponds. Therefore yield will be reduced. Out.

C is the best option. (B only highlights benefit of new scheme, but remains silent on its impact on agriculture)
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64926 [2]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
adkikani wrote:

Quote:
Hi,

But the most important WORD here is - increase the overall EFFICIENCY of PhishCo's farms.

so we look for a choice that tells us that the efficieny will increase by this alternate method of irrigation. C tells us exactlt that..
C tells us that NOT ONLY water is going to be available BUT ALSO fertilizers in the form of fish waste will be avail..

C

I got to OA with completely different approach and would like to validate my reasoning.

This is strengthen question and I need to strengthen that goal of plan will succeed. What is the goal?
To efficiently increase the farms' total production. Production depends on irrigation.

Quote:
PhishCo runs a number of farms in the arid province of Nufa, depending largely on the irrigation.

Lots of farms in nearby province of Nufa are run by Phishco and these farms are hugely dependent on irrigation.

Quote:
Now, as a part of a plan to efficiently increase the farms' total production, it plans to drill down to an aquifer containing warm, slightly salty water that will be used to raise fish in ponds.

To achieve a goal of efficiently increasing farms' total production, Phishco proposed to drill down to an aquifer containing warm, slightly salty water that will be used to raise fish in ponds.

Quote:
The water from the ponds will later be used to supplement piped-in irrigation water for PhishCo's vegetable fields, and the ponds and accompanying vegetation should help reduce the heat in the area of the farms.

I can cross out the part which is not relevant to my goal here. This sentence shows how my goal will be achieved.

Quote:

Quote:

No , we are not trying to earn profit be selling fish. We need to strengthen final goal of

Quote:

Yes , this links execution of plan (Organic waste from fish in the pond water) to my goal (better fertilizer which can be

Quote:

Quote:

Yes, it is correct.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64926 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
abhola wrote:
Hi VeritasKarishma GMATNinja,

I found option B really interesting, even though the stats they question is easy.

Why do I think option B is right?

We are talking about increasing the total production of the farm.

Hence if the "fish" from the pond is saleable, can't we say that the farm now has one more product to sell?
Would not "saleable fish" add to the number of products the farm is selling?

In this way, we can say, that total production is increasing. Or, in other words, we can say, with this new approach, farm is now producing one more product in addition to the vegetables it is producing.

Also I have a very very strange doubt - we know fish farms exists - then why is "fish" as a product in additional to "vegetables" is not considered a viable product?
Should our understanding of "farms" be limited to "plant" based farms here in this argument?

I understand the official reason to reject choice B, but could you please weigh in here and let me know where am I making mistake?

Regards.

Question stem: Which of the following would, if true, most strongly suggest that the plan, if implemented, would increase the overall efficiency of PhishCo's farms?

Note that the whole argument is about "efficiency and productivity" of the farm. Nothing about revenue or profit. So the point is whether the farm produces more and that too efficiently. Whether the fish is sold or not or sold to the farmers or in urban areas or consumed in-house does not impact productivity and efficiency.
Hence (B) is not correct.

"Fish farms" are called "fish farms", not "farms".
"Farms" implies crop farms. If they are another kind of farms, you need to specify.

In any case, even if they do have fish farms already, this could be something additional they are doing.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64926 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
woohoo921 wrote:
KarishmaB
I hope that you are having a wonderful week.
The part of the argument that I was a bit thrown off by was the last part "and the ponds and the accompanying vegetation should help reduce the heat in the area of the farms."
How does this tie into profitability and efficiency?

Many thanks :)

Yes indeed, I had a great week! Thank you! Hope you had a productive one! :)

The argument mentions 'arid region reliant on irrigation.' So it looks like we are taking about a desert region. If the heat reduces at the farm, the need for irrigation will reduce too since water will not evaporate too quickly.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 65
Send PM
Hi VeritasKarishma GMATNinja,

I found option B really interesting, even though the stats they question is easy.

Why do I think option B is right?

We are talking about increasing the total production of the farm.

Hence if the "fish" from the pond is saleable, can't we say that the farm now has one more product to sell?
Would not "saleable fish" add to the number of products the farm is selling?

In this way, we can say, that total production is increasing. Or, in other words, we can say, with this new approach, farm is now producing one more product in addition to the vegetables it is producing.

Also I have a very very strange doubt - we know fish farms exists - then why is "fish" as a product in additional to "vegetables" is not considered a viable product?
Should our understanding of "farms" be limited to "plant" based farms here in this argument?

I understand the official reason to reject choice B, but could you please weigh in here and let me know where am I making mistake?

Regards.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 67 [0]
Given Kudos: 626
Send PM
KarishmaB wrote:
adkikani wrote:

Quote:
Hi,

C

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Yes, it is correct.

KarishmaB
The part of the argument that I was a bit thrown off by was the last part "and the ponds and the accompanying vegetation should help reduce the heat in the area of the farms."

Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 67 [0]
Given Kudos: 626
Send PM
KarishmaB wrote:
woohoo921 wrote:
KarishmaB

Yes indeed, I had a great week! Thank you! Hope you had a productive one! :)

The argument mentions 'arid region reliant on irrigation.' So it looks like we are taking about a desert region. If the heat reduces at the farm, the need for irrigation will reduce too since water will not evaporate too quickly.

Thank you so much :)

Would you say that this is an unstated assumption or just background information that you should know? For some reason, I did not connect the dots here when initially reading it. Thank you again.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
How much time shall one spend for this question ? Is 1min30 good ? What time would an "expert" spend on this question ? Thanks !!
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 1416 [0]
Given Kudos: 75
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Expert Reply

Saad225 wrote:
How much time shall one spend for this question ? Is 1min30 good ? What time would an "expert" spend on this question ? Thanks !!

­1:30 is good.

I think some "experts" would answer this question in 1:15 if they were seeking to answer it quickly, but 1:30 is still good.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 1416 [0]
Given Kudos: 75
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
PhishCo runs a number of farms in the arid province of Nufa, depending [#permalink]
Expert Reply
woohoo921 wrote:
KarishmaB wrote:
woohoo921 wrote:
KarishmaB

:)

Would you say that this is an unstated assumption or just background information that you should know? For some reason, I did not connect the dots here when initially reading it. Thank you again.

­It's not an unstated assumption. It's a logical conclusion about the scenario that we can arrive at using the information presented. So, it's background information.­
GMAT Club Bot
PhishCo runs a number of farms in the arid province of Nufa, depending [#permalink]
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts