Last visit was: 23 May 2024, 12:46 It is currently 23 May 2024, 12:46
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Current Student
Joined: 13 Apr 2015
Posts: 1436
Own Kudos [?]: 4563 [41]
Given Kudos: 1228
Location: India
Send PM
Director
Director
Joined: 20 Dec 2015
Status:Learning
Posts: 873
Own Kudos [?]: 568 [0]
Given Kudos: 755
Location: India
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V36
GRE 1: Q157 V157
GPA: 3.4
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Director
Director
Joined: 29 Oct 2015
Posts: 749
Own Kudos [?]: 333 [0]
Given Kudos: 483
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Joined: 30 Sep 2017
Posts: 129
Own Kudos [?]: 123 [0]
Given Kudos: 658
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Re: Plant scientists have used genetic engineering on seeds to produce cro [#permalink]
Hi

Can anyone please comment in the light of this post: https://gmatclub.com/forum/plant-scient ... 65010.html I agree that it's broad, but the gist of the post is that the second BF can be the main conclusion of the argument. So why is A wrong? There must be something tangible, concrete in order to eliminate it, and right now I don't see clearly why A should be out. Moreover, is this really a GMATprep question, or it's just a some kind of recreation using the information of an official material?

Thanks

gmat1393 GMATNinja GMATNinjaTwo nightblade354
Manager
Manager
Joined: 20 Apr 2019
Posts: 74
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [1]
Given Kudos: 5
GPA: 3.11
Send PM
Re: Plant scientists have used genetic engineering on seeds to produce cro [#permalink]
1
Kudos
This was reproduced incorrectly, which is why people are picking A. The boldface here encompasses more of the text that the official version of this question.

Posted from my mobile device
Retired Moderator
Joined: 25 Apr 2018
Posts: 652
Own Kudos [?]: 2238 [0]
Given Kudos: 199
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
Send PM
Re: Plant scientists have used genetic engineering on seeds to produce cro [#permalink]
jawele wrote:
Hi

Can anyone please comment in the light of this post: https://gmatclub.com/forum/plant-scient ... 65010.html I agree that it's broad, but the gist of the post is that the second BF can be the main conclusion of the argument. So why is A wrong? There must be something tangible, concrete in order to eliminate it, and right now I don't see clearly why A should be out. Moreover, is this really a GMATprep question, or it's just a some kind of recreation using the information of an official material?

Thanks

gmat1393 GMATNinja GMATNinjaTwo nightblade354


Hi jawele,

For a Bold face CR both the parts of the option should be correct.

Option A is a typical incorrect option pattern in which one part is right and the other part is not.
First part of option A is wrong since the first bolded part does not provide context for the argument rather it presents a circumstance that the argument is against of.

Hope this helps!
Manager
Manager
Joined: 30 Sep 2017
Posts: 129
Own Kudos [?]: 123 [0]
Given Kudos: 658
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Re: Plant scientists have used genetic engineering on seeds to produce cro [#permalink]
Hi gmat1393

Thanks for getting to my question. I beg to differ about the first BF. I disagree that "it presents a circumstance that the argument is against of" as you claim. The author disagrees with the portion that "Thus, for most farmers the savings on pesticides would not compensate for the higher seed costs and the cost of additional fertilizer." Though true that it may not compensate, the author introduces additional information that shows that it can be profitable.

The author, I feel that it's reasonable to assume so, agrees with first BF because I can't find his disagreement with the claim that "the seeds themselves are quite expensive, and the plants require more fertilizer and water to grow well than normal ones". And since the author agrees with that BF, it can be said that it provides the context for the argument. In particular, the fact that although "the seeds themselves are quite expensive, and the plants require more fertilizer and water to grow well than normal ones", "consumer demand for grains, fruits, and vegetables grown without the use of pesticides continues to rise, [so] the use of genetically engineered seeds of this kind is likely to become widespread".

Please comment
Director
Director
Joined: 06 Jan 2015
Posts: 737
Own Kudos [?]: 1591 [0]
Given Kudos: 579
Location: India
Concentration: Operations, Finance
GPA: 3.35
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: Plant scientists have used genetic engineering on seeds to produce cro [#permalink]
Vyshak wrote:
Plant scientists have used genetic engineering on seeds to produce crop plants that are highly resistant to insect damage. Unfortunately, the seeds themselves are quite expensive, and the plants require more fertilizer and water to grow well than normal ones. Thus, for most farmers the savings on pesticides would not compensate for the higher seed costs and the cost of additional fertilizer. However, since consumer demand for grains, fruits, and vegetables grown without the use of pesticides continues to rise, the use of genetically engineered seeds of this kind is likely to become widespread.

In the argument given, the two portions in boldface play which of the following roles?


(A) The first supplies a context for the argument; the second is the argument's main conclusion.

(B) The first introduces a development that the argument predicts will have a certain outcome; the second is a state of affairs that the argument denies will be part of that outcome.

(C) The first presents a development that the argument predicts will have a certain outcome; the second acknowledges a consideration that weighs against that prediction.

(D) The first provides evidence to support a prediction that the argument seeks to defend; the second is that prediction.

(E) The first and the second each provide evidence to support the argument's main conclusion.



HI GMATNinja, generis, VeritasPrepErika

Can you throw some light on this Boldfaced question?
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Joined: 20 Nov 2016
Posts: 238
Own Kudos [?]: 986 [2]
Given Kudos: 1026
GMAT 1: 760 Q48 V47
GMAT 2: 770 Q49 V48
GMAT 3: 770 Q50 V47
GMAT 4: 790 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q168 V167

GRE 2: Q170 V169
Send PM
Re: Plant scientists have used genetic engineering on seeds to produce cro [#permalink]
1
Kudos
1
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
NandishSS wrote:
HI GMATNinja, generis, VeritasPrepErika

Can you throw some light on this Boldfaced question?

JDF wrote:
This was reproduced incorrectly, which is why people are picking A. The boldface here encompasses more of the text that the official version of this question.

Posted from my mobile device

If anyone sees this specific version of the question in the GMAT Prep software, please let us know whether it has been transcribed accurately.

In the meantime, please refer to this similar question, which is definitely an official question from the GMAT Prep software.
VP
VP
Joined: 14 Aug 2019
Posts: 1373
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [1]
Given Kudos: 381
Location: Hong Kong
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V29
GPA: 3.81
Send PM
Re: Plant scientists have used genetic engineering on seeds to produce cro [#permalink]
1
Bookmarks
Quote:
(A) The first supplies a context for the argument; the second is the argument's main conclusion.

is not completely right because of following 2 reasons:
1. The first supplies a context for the argument
context for argument is in the first sentence: Plant scientists have used genetic engineering on seeds to produce crop plants that are highly resistant to insect damage.
2. the second is the argument's main conclusion. : main conclusion is part of 2nd bold statement, the whole statement is not main conclusion

Quote:
(C) The first presents a development that the argument predicts will have a certain outcome; the second acknowledges a consideration that weighs against that prediction.

development: the seeds themselves are quite expensive, and the plants require more fertilizer and water to grow well than normal ones
will have a certain outcome: for most farmers the savings on pesticides would not compensate for the higher seed costs and the cost of additional fertilizer.
2nd: is against the prediction ( that genetic seeds would not be grown)
Intern
Intern
Joined: 22 Feb 2020
Posts: 1
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 123
Send PM
Re: Plant scientists have used genetic engineering on seeds to produce cro [#permalink]
mSKR, VeritasKarishma, GMATNinja Can somebody please explain, why (B)'s 2nd bold face is incorrect? Is it because the 2nd BF can not be considered as 'state of affair' or because as stated in the option, the argument does not deny being a part of the stated outcome? Or is it something else that is being missed?
Tutor
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 14891
Own Kudos [?]: 65448 [1]
Given Kudos: 431
Location: Pune, India
Send PM
Re: Plant scientists have used genetic engineering on seeds to produce cro [#permalink]
1
Kudos
Expert Reply
nikita0808 wrote:
mSKR, VeritasKarishma, GMATNinja Can somebody please explain, why (B)'s 2nd bold face is incorrect? Is it because the 2nd BF can not be considered as 'state of affair' or because as stated in the option, the argument does not deny being a part of the stated outcome? Or is it something else that is being missed?


nikita0808

Check here:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/plant-scient ... l#p1405278

The second boldface statement is only "since consumer demand for grains, fruits, and vegetables grown without the use of pesticides continues to rise".
The question is written correctly on the link I have given.
Manager
Manager
Joined: 15 Dec 2015
Posts: 108
Own Kudos [?]: 55 [1]
Given Kudos: 598
Send PM
Re: Plant scientists have used genetic engineering on seeds to produce cro [#permalink]
1
Kudos
KarishmaB wrote:
nikita0808 wrote:
mSKR, VeritasKarishma, GMATNinja Can somebody please explain, why (B)'s 2nd bold face is incorrect? Is it because the 2nd BF can not be considered as 'state of affair' or because as stated in the option, the argument does not deny being a part of the stated outcome? Or is it something else that is being missed?


nikita0808

Check here:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/plant-scient ... l#p1405278

The second boldface statement is only "since consumer demand for grains, fruits, and vegetables grown without the use of pesticides continues to rise".
The question is written correctly on the link I have given.


Bunuel, nightblade354: can u pls make the necessary edits to the 2nd BF portion as suggested by KarishmaB? This version is making folks click A, skewing the stats. Thank you!
Current Student
Joined: 31 Jul 2017
Status:He came. He saw. He conquered. -- Going to Business School -- Corruptus in Extremis
Posts: 1732
Own Kudos [?]: 5783 [1]
Given Kudos: 3080
Location: United States (MA)
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Send PM
Plant scientists have used genetic engineering on seeds to produce cro [#permalink]
1
Kudos
Expert Reply
StandardizedNerd wrote:
KarishmaB wrote:
nikita0808 wrote:
mSKR, VeritasKarishma, GMATNinja Can somebody please explain, why (B)'s 2nd bold face is incorrect? Is it because the 2nd BF can not be considered as 'state of affair' or because as stated in the option, the argument does not deny being a part of the stated outcome? Or is it something else that is being missed?


nikita0808

Check here:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/plant-scient ... l#p1405278

The second boldface statement is only "since consumer demand for grains, fruits, and vegetables grown without the use of pesticides continues to rise".
The question is written correctly on the link I have given.


Bunuel, nightblade354: can u pls make the necessary edits to the 2nd BF portion as suggested by KarishmaB? This version is making folks click A, skewing the stats. Thank you!


All set! Next time, you can click the report a problem button at the bottom of the question and you can submit a report. This might be easier and may get a quicker response.
User avatar
Non-Human User
Joined: 01 Oct 2013
Posts: 17368
Own Kudos [?]: 852 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Plant scientists have used genetic engineering on seeds to produce cro [#permalink]
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Plant scientists have used genetic engineering on seeds to produce cro [#permalink]
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6936 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts