GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Nov 2019, 05:23

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Plant scientists have used genetic engineering on seeds to produce cro

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 04 May 2006
Posts: 1300
Schools: CBS, Kellogg
Plant scientists have used genetic engineering on seeds to produce cro  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 23 Jan 2019, 05:22
13
84
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  95% (hard)

Question Stats:

45% (02:10) correct 55% (02:13) wrong based on 1984 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Plant scientists have used genetic engineering on seeds to produce crop plants that are highly resistant to insect damage. Unfortunately, the seeds themselves are quite expensive, and the plants require more fertilizer and water to grow well than normal ones. Thus, for most farmers the savings on pesticides would not compensate for the higher seed costs and the cost of additional fertilizer. However, since consumer demand for grains, fruits, and vegetables grown without the use of pesticides continues to rise, the use of genetically engineered seeds of this kind is likely to become widespread.

In the argument given, the two portions in boldface play which of the following roles?


(A) The first supplies a context for the argument; the second is the argument's main conclusion.

(B) The first introduces a development that the argument predicts will have a certain outcome; the second is a state of affairs that the argument denies will be part of that outcome.

(C) The first presents a development that the argument predicts will have a certain outcome; the second acknowledges a consideration that weighs against that prediction.

(D) The first provides a certain outcome that the argument seeks to weigh against; the second is a consideration that support the main conclusion.

(E) The first and the second each provide evidence to support the argument's main conclusion.


Similar Question : [LINK1] [LINK2]

Spoiler: :: Click for OA
OA = D. Check Karishma's post on second page for explanation

_________________

Originally posted by sondenso on 05 Jun 2008, 20:52.
Last edited by Bunuel on 23 Jan 2019, 05:22, edited 7 times in total.
Edited the question.
Most Helpful Expert Reply
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
V
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 9795
Location: Pune, India
Re: Plant scientists have used genetic engineering on seeds to produce cro  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Sep 2014, 23:59
13
10
sondenso wrote:
Plant scientists have used genetic engineering on seeds to produce crop plants that are highly resistant to insect damage. Unfortunately, the seeds themselves are quite expensive, and the plants require more fertilizer and water to grow well than normal ones. Thus, for most farmers the savings on pesticides would not compensate for the higher seed costs and the cost of additional fertilizer. However,since consumer demand for grains, fruits, and vegetables grown without the use of pesticides continues to rise, the use of genetically engineered seeds of this kind is likely to become widespread.

In the argument given, the two portions in boldface play which of the following roles?

(A) The first supplies a context for the argument; the second is the argument's main conclusion.
(B) The first introduces a development that the argument predicts will have a certain outcome; the second is a state of affairs that the argument denies will be part of that outcome.
(C) The first presents a development that the argument predicts will have a certain outcome; the second acknowledges a consideration that weighs againstthat prediction.
(D) The first provides a certain outcome that the agrument seeks to weigh against; the second is a consideration that support the main conclusion.
(E) The first and the second each provide evidence to support the argument's main conclusion.


Responding to a pm:

What is the essence of the argument?
Genetically modified seeds are highly resistant to insects. But they are more expensive and need more fertilizer and water. So farmers won't save money by using them (prediction).
But people like them so their use will keep increasing (conclusion).

So what part is in bold? Let me underline it to show clearly...

Genetically modified seeds are highly resistant to insects. But they are more expensive and need more fertilizer and water. So farmers won't save money by using them (prediction).
But people like them so [i]their use will keep increasing (conclusion)

(A) The first supplies a context for the argument; the second is the argument's main conclusion.
Wrong - second is not the main conclusion

(B) The first introduces a development that the argument predicts will have a certain outcome; the second is a state of affairs that the argument denies will be part of that outcome.
Wrong - the second is not related to the outcome at all. It cannot accept or deny whether it is a part of that outcome

(C) The first presents a development that the argument predicts will have a certain outcome; the second acknowledges a consideration that weighs against that prediction.
Wrong - second is not a consideration against the prediction. Prediction is about saving money by using modified seeds. Just because people like modified seeds, farmers won't save money by using them i.e. the cost will not go down. Note that the revenue farmers earn may increase because people like these seeds but the cost of using them will not decrease.

(D) The first provides a certain outcome that the agrument seeks to weigh against; the second is a consideration that support the main conclusion.
Correct.

(E) The first and the second each provide evidence to support the argument's main conclusion.
Wrong - First does not provide evidence to support conclusion
_________________
Karishma
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor

Learn more about how Veritas Prep can help you achieve a great GMAT score by checking out their GMAT Prep Options >
Most Helpful Community Reply
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 04 May 2016
Posts: 1
GPA: 3.25
WE: Accounting (Real Estate)
Re: Plant scientists have used genetic engineering on seeds to produce cro  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 May 2016, 21:45
9
1
(Background information) Plant scientists have used genetic engineering on seeds to produce crop plants that are highly resistant to insect damage. (Counter premise) Unfortunately, the seeds themselves are quite expensive, and the plants require more fertilizer and water to grow well than normal ones. (Counter-conclusion) Thus, for most farmers the savings on pesticides would not compensate for the higher seed costs and the cost of additional fertilizer. (Premise - "However," changes direction of argument, everything prior to this statement is now the Counter argument) However,since consumer demand for grains, fruits, and vegetables grown without the use of pesticides continues to rise, (Main Conclusion) the use of genetically engineered seeds of this kind is likely to become widespread.

**After identifying paragraph structure, should be able to move quickly through answer choices - moving wrong to right**

In the argument given, the two portions in boldface play which of the following roles?

(A) The first supplies a context for the argument,; the second is the argument's main conclusion. - The first sentence is background info, not the first bold. eliminate
(B) The first introduces a development that the argument predicts will have a certain outcome; the second is a state of affairs that the argument denies will be part of that outcome. - Huh? Leave in for now
(C) The first presents a development that the argument predicts will have a certain outcome; the second acknowledges a consideration that weighs against that prediction. - For argument; Against argument <-- Nope. We've already determined the first bold is a counter-premise and second is supporting main conclusion.
(D) The first provides a certain outcome that the agrument seeks to weigh against; the second is a consideration that support the main conclusion. - Counter-premise; Premise to the main conclusion
(E) The first and the second each provide evidence to support the argument's main conclusion. - Nope. We've already determined the first bold is a counter-premise.
General Discussion
SVP
SVP
avatar
Joined: 29 Mar 2007
Posts: 1874
Re: Plant scientists have used genetic engineering on seeds to produce cro  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Jun 2008, 06:11
sondenso wrote:
Plant scientists have used genetic engineering on seeds to produce crop plants that are highly resistant to insect damage. Unfortunately, the seeds themselves are quite expensive, and the plants require more fertilizer and water to grow well than normal ones. Thus, for most farmers the savings on pesticides would not compensate for the higher seed costs and the cost of additional fertilizer. However,since consumer demand for grains, fruits, and vegetables grown without the use of pesticides continues to rise, the use of genetically engineered seeds of this kind is likely to become widespread.

In the argument given, the two portions in boldface play which of the following roles?

(A) The first supplies a context for the argument; the second is the argument's main conclusion.
(B) The first introduces a development that the argument predicts will have a certain outcome; the second is a state of affairs that the argument denies will be part of that outcome.
(C) The first presents a development that the argument predicts will have a certain outcome; the second acknowledges a consideration that weighs againstthat prediction.
(D) The first provides a certain outcome that the agrument seeks to weigh against; the second is a consideration that support the main conclusion.
(E) The first and the second each provide evidence to support the argument's main conclusion.



This is a very good one. I almost fell for C as well. I reread C though and something just didnt seem right.

The end of the paragraph is def. the main conclusion. Thus only D captures this.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 07 Jan 2016
Posts: 21
Schools: AGSM '18
Re: Plant scientists have used genetic engineering on seeds to produce cro  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Mar 2016, 02:34
1
try to diagram the argument, numbering each of the sentences and using the 'THEREFORE TEST' (try 'x, therefore y' and 'y, therefore x', and see which, if either, of them makes sense).

1 Plant scientists have used genetic engineering on seeds to produce crop plants that are highly resistant to insect damage.
2 Unfortunately, the seeds themselves are quite expensive, and the plants require more fertilizer and water to grow well than normal ones.
3 Thus, for most farmers the savings on pesticides would not compensate for the higher seed costs and the cost of additional fertilizer.
4 However, since consumer demand for grains, fruits, and vegetables grown without the use of pesticides continues to rise, the use of genetically engineered seeds of this kind is likely to become widespread.

the structure of this argument is:
1 = background fact
2, therefore 3
however, 4 (which weakens conclusion 3)

if you figure out that much, then it's clear that #3 is the CONCLUSION. (that's the single most important thing you can do on critical reasoning: figure out what's the conclusion.)

since neither of the boldface portions is the conclusion, choice a and choice d are dead. (both of those claim that the second part is the conclusion.)

now, analyze the boldface parts a little better:
#2 (the first boldface) serves as a premise for #3
#4 (the second bold) serves as a counterpoint to #3, weakening the lasting value of the conclusion
...which is basically what choice c says.

choice b is tempting, but you should note that the argument is specifically designed to point out that this 'state of affairs' CAN affect the outcome. choice e is nonsensical, as the two boldfaces are on completely opposite sides of the proverbial fence.

(Source: Ron Purewal)
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 07 May 2016
Posts: 18
Re: Plant scientists have used genetic engineering on seeds to produce cro  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Sep 2016, 19:29
2
Another bad CR question. People are saying the second half of C is wrong, when the first half of D is even more wrong.

" the seeds themselves are quite expensive, and the plants require more fertilizer and water to grow well than normal ones" is not an outcome... The sentence after that is the outcome. I can see why C is wrong, but D is also wrong. Maybe the test makers fell asleep on this question.
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
V
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 9795
Location: Pune, India
Re: Plant scientists have used genetic engineering on seeds to produce cro  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Sep 2016, 21:48
2
r0ckst4r wrote:
Another bad CR question. People are saying the second half of C is wrong, when the first half of D is even more wrong.

" the seeds themselves are quite expensive, and the plants require more fertilizer and water to grow well than normal ones" is not an outcome... The sentence after that is the outcome. I can see why C is wrong, but D is also wrong. Maybe the test makers fell asleep on this question.


It is an outcome of "Plant scientists have used genetic engineering on seeds to produce crop plants that are highly resistant to insect damage."
They have created seeds that are resistant to insect damage. The outcome of modifying the seeds is that these modified seeds are expensive and need more fertilizer and water.

You cannot brush aside official questions as bad questions. Try to understand what is going on. You could get something very similar on your test too.
_________________
Karishma
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor

Learn more about how Veritas Prep can help you achieve a great GMAT score by checking out their GMAT Prep Options >
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 21 Jul 2016
Posts: 32
Location: India
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
WE: Other (Computer Software)
Re: Plant scientists have used genetic engineering on seeds to produce cro  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Oct 2016, 22:05
1
D is the correct answer.

Plant scientists have used genetic engineering on seeds to produce crop plants that are highly resistant to insect damage - General Information
Unfortunately, the seeds themselves are quite expensive, and the plants require more fertilizer and water to grow well than normal ones - Premise by the author
Thus, for most farmers the savings on pesticides would not compensate for the higher seed costs and the cost of additional fertilizer - Intermediate conclusion by author
However,since consumer demand for grains, fruits, and vegetables grown without the use of pesticides continues to rise - Premise by author
the use of genetically engineered seeds of this kind is likely to become widespread- Main conclusion by athor

Fist BF statement is a premise that provide a conclusion - savings would be less. So, if BF is applicable, a consequence or an outcome happens in result. Second BF is a prediction by author. And it supports main conclusion
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
V
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 9795
Location: Pune, India
Re: Plant scientists have used genetic engineering on seeds to produce cro  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Sep 2017, 21:57
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
sondenso wrote:
Plant scientists have used genetic engineering on seeds to produce crop plants that are highly resistant to insect damage. Unfortunately, the seeds themselves are quite expensive, and the plants require more fertilizer and water to grow well than normal ones. Thus, for most farmers the savings on pesticides would not compensate for the higher seed costs and the cost of additional fertilizer. However,since consumer demand for grains, fruits, and vegetables grown without the use of pesticides continues to rise, the use of genetically engineered seeds of this kind is likely to become widespread.

In the argument given, the two portions in boldface play which of the following roles?

(A) The first supplies a context for the argument; the second is the argument's main conclusion.
(B) The first introduces a development that the argument predicts will have a certain outcome; the second is a state of affairs that the argument denies will be part of that outcome.
(C) The first presents a development that the argument predicts will have a certain outcome; the second acknowledges a consideration that weighs againstthat prediction.
(D) The first provides a certain outcome that the agrument seeks to weigh against; the second is a consideration that support the main conclusion.
(E) The first and the second each provide evidence to support the argument's main conclusion.


Responding to a pm:

What is the essence of the argument?
Genetically modified seeds are highly resistant to insects. But they are more expensive and need more fertilizer and water. So farmers won't save money by using them (prediction).
But people like them so their use will keep increasing (conclusion).

So what part is in bold? Let me underline it to show clearly...

Genetically modified seeds are highly resistant to insects. But they are more expensive and need more fertilizer and water. So farmers won't save money by using them (prediction).
But people like them so [i]their use will keep increasing (conclusion)

(A) The first supplies a context for the argument; the second is the argument's main conclusion.
Wrong - second is not the main conclusion

(B) The first introduces a development that the argument predicts will have a certain outcome; the second is a state of affairs that the argument denies will be part of that outcome.
Wrong - the second is not related to the outcome at all. It cannot accept or deny whether it is a part of that outcome

(C) The first presents a development that the argument predicts will have a certain outcome; the second acknowledges a consideration that weighs against that prediction.
Wrong - second is not a consideration against the prediction. Prediction is about saving money by using modified seeds. Just because people like modified seeds, farmers won't save money by using them i.e. the cost will not go down. Note that the revenue farmers earn may increase because people like these seeds but the cost of using them will not decrease.

(D) The first provides a certain outcome that the agrument seeks to weigh against; the second is a consideration that support the main conclusion.
Correct.

(E) The first and the second each provide evidence to support the argument's main conclusion.
Wrong - First does not provide evidence to support conclusion


Responding to a pm:

Quote:
Hi there,

What do you think about the explanation provided by Manhattan Prep?

https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/foru ... t2270.html

The answer choices are slightly different, but that doesn't seem to have an impact on the reasoning (basically, they say it's C and you say it's not C).

The answer choice I selected was D however, the wording is not the same as the one on this page/discussion.
My option D states: The first provides evidence to support a prediction that the argument seeks to defend; the second is that prediction.
Option C appears to be consistent on all three pages (this page, Manhattan and mine).

Boldface questions are my weakest in Verbal and I am still torn between D and C.


The conclusion of the argument is the author's opinion. It is the reason he writes the argument. I disagree with the explanation provided in the link above. The conclusion of this argument is "their use will keep increasing" - that is the final word of the author. He starts by giving the drawbacks but provides a reason which he believes will overshadow the drawbacks and arrives at the conclusion that the use of genetically modified seeds will keep increasing.

"Thus, for most farmers the savings on pesticides would not compensate for the higher seed costs and the cost of additional fertilizer." is a prediction based on the drawbacks he discusses, not the conclusion of the argument.

(C) is wrong as discussed above.
(C) The first presents a development that the argument predicts will have a certain outcome; the second acknowledges a consideration that weighs against that prediction.
Wrong - second is not a consideration against the prediction. Prediction is about saving money by using modified seeds. Just because people like modified seeds, farmers won't save money by using them i.e. the cost will not go down. Note that the revenue farmers earn may increase because people like these seeds but the cost of using them will not decrease.

(D) is correct
(D) The first provides a certain outcome that the agrument seeks to weigh against; the second is a consideration that support the main conclusion.

The argument says "their use will keep increasing". The argument weighs against the drawbacks in the first three lines.
The second bold face supports the main conclusion.
_________________
Karishma
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor

Learn more about how Veritas Prep can help you achieve a great GMAT score by checking out their GMAT Prep Options >
Intern
Intern
User avatar
B
Joined: 14 Apr 2017
Posts: 4
Location: Indonesia
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V35
GPA: 4
WE: General Management (Internet and New Media)
Re: Plant scientists have used genetic engineering on seeds to produce cro  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Mar 2018, 12:03
Here are the steps I take to arrive at D:

1) We identify the conclusion.
Conclusion: the use of genetically engineered seeds of this kind is likely to become widespread.

2) We identify the role of first bold statement and second bold statement for the conclusion.
First bold statement: premise against the conclusion. If the seeds are expensive and more fertilisers are required, farmers will don't have enough incentive to use genetically engineered seeds.
Second bold statement: premise for.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
G
Joined: 23 Nov 2016
Posts: 311
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Plant scientists have used genetic engineering on seeds to produce cro  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Apr 2019, 10:45
Please change the OA , correct answer is C . It is OG19 question Q553. Bunuel please check.


sondenso wrote:
Plant scientists have used genetic engineering on seeds to produce crop plants that are highly resistant to insect damage. Unfortunately, the seeds themselves are quite expensive, and the plants require more fertilizer and water to grow well than normal ones. Thus, for most farmers the savings on pesticides would not compensate for the higher seed costs and the cost of additional fertilizer. However, since consumer demand for grains, fruits, and vegetables grown without the use of pesticides continues to rise, the use of genetically engineered seeds of this kind is likely to become widespread.

In the argument given, the two portions in boldface play which of the following roles?


(A) The first supplies a context for the argument; the second is the argument's main conclusion.

(B) The first introduces a development that the argument predicts will have a certain outcome; the second is a state of affairs that the argument denies will be part of that outcome.

(C) The first presents a development that the argument predicts will have a certain outcome; the second acknowledges a consideration that weighs against that prediction.

(D) The first provides a certain outcome that the argument seeks to weigh against; the second is a consideration that support the main conclusion.

(E) The first and the second each provide evidence to support the argument's main conclusion.


Similar Question : [LINK1] [LINK2]

Spoiler: :: Click for OA
OA = D. Check Karishma's post on second page for explanation

_________________
If my post anyway helped you,please spare Kudos !
Manager
Manager
avatar
S
Joined: 30 Sep 2017
Posts: 143
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Plant scientists have used genetic engineering on seeds to produce cro  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Jun 2019, 14:59
Plant scientists have used genetic engineering on seeds to produce crop plants that are highly resistant to insect damage. (A) Unfortunately, the seeds themselves are quite expensive, and the plants require more fertilizer and water to grow well than normal ones. (B) Thus, for most farmers the savings on pesticides would not compensate for the higher seed costs and the cost of additional fertilizer. (C) However, since consumer demand for grains, fruits, and vegetables grown without the use of pesticides continues to rise, (D) the use of genetically engineered seeds of this kind is likely to become widespread. (E)

In my opinion, the list below contains the basic elements of the argument:
A is background information
B is a fact
C is a prediction
D is a fact
E is the main conclusion

(C) The first presents a development that the argument predicts will have a certain outcome; the second acknowledges a consideration that weighs against that prediction. the first part seems good as it indeed is the basis for the prediction C: higher expenses will not help farmers gain any benefit from using such seeds; the second also looks fine: but the demand will potentially drive up prices for the seeds; so D counters the prediction C
(D) The first provides a certain outcome that the argument seeks to weigh against; the second is a consideration that support the main conclusion. I would argue that the first BF is a fact, and not an outcome. Outcome can be considered the next sentence, or (C) above.

I'm aware of the explanation given by VeritasKarishma. However, I'd very much appreciate some comments from other experts. Could you please point a flaw in my reasoning?

GMATNinja GMATNinjaTwo gmat1393 nightblade354

Thanks
CR & LSAT Forum Moderator
User avatar
V
Status: He came. He saw. He conquered. -- Studying for the LSAT -- Corruptus in Extremis
Joined: 31 Jul 2017
Posts: 808
Location: United States (MA)
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Reviews Badge
Re: Plant scientists have used genetic engineering on seeds to produce cro  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Jun 2019, 18:07
jawele, the second part of C supports the argument. It says consumer demand will rise, not prices. Where did you read anything about price increases?
_________________
D-Day: November 18th, 2017

My CR Guide: Here

My RC Guide: Here

Need an expert to grade your AWA? Go: Here

Want to be a moderator? We may want you to be one! See how: Here
Manager
Manager
avatar
G
Joined: 29 May 2016
Posts: 96
Location: Czech Republic
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V38
GPA: 3.94
WE: Corporate Finance (Investment Banking)
Premium Member
Re: Plant scientists have used genetic engineering on seeds to produce cro  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Aug 2019, 02:33
Attachment:
GMAT.jpg
GMAT.jpg [ 73.39 KiB | Viewed 3163 times ]
GMATNinja VeritasKarishma could you possibly verify the answer?

I found this prompt in the GMAT™ Official Practice Questions in which it is stated that the correct answer is C. Thank you.
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
V
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 9795
Location: Pune, India
Plant scientists have used genetic engineering on seeds to produce cro  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Aug 2019, 22:06
Xin Cho wrote:
Attachment:
GMAT.jpg
GMATNinja VeritasKarishma could you possibly verify the answer?

I found this prompt in the GMAT™ Official Practice Questions in which it is stated that the correct answer is C. Thank you.


[url=https://gmatclub.com:443/forum/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&un=Xin] @xin_cho - Please share a screenshot of the exact question you came across and the correct option. Slight variations can change the answer completely.
_________________
Karishma
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor

Learn more about how Veritas Prep can help you achieve a great GMAT score by checking out their GMAT Prep Options >
Manager
Manager
avatar
G
Joined: 29 May 2016
Posts: 96
Location: Czech Republic
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V38
GPA: 3.94
WE: Corporate Finance (Investment Banking)
Premium Member
Re: Plant scientists have used genetic engineering on seeds to produce cro  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Aug 2019, 10:03
VeritasKarishma thank you for the reply. The first sentence is exactly the same but the rest is quite different - I wasn't aware that official GMAT questions would vary like this. Interesting.
Attachments

GMAT.jpg
GMAT.jpg [ 250.19 KiB | Viewed 2827 times ]

Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
V
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 9795
Location: Pune, India
Re: Plant scientists have used genetic engineering on seeds to produce cro  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Aug 2019, 22:09
Xin Cho wrote:
VeritasKarishma thank you for the reply. The first sentence is exactly the same but the rest is quite different - I wasn't aware that official GMAT questions would vary like this. Interesting.


You could come across variations in official questions. Sometimes, for different questions, different statements of the same argument will be in bold. The answer options then may be same or different but the answer would be different.
_________________
Karishma
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor

Learn more about how Veritas Prep can help you achieve a great GMAT score by checking out their GMAT Prep Options >
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 08 Aug 2018
Posts: 32
Location: India
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 720 Q51 V36
Re: Plant scientists have used genetic engineering on seeds to produce cro  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Sep 2019, 09:07
sondenso wrote:
Plant scientists have used genetic engineering on seeds to produce crop plants that are highly resistant to insect damage. Unfortunately, the seeds themselves are quite expensive, and the plants require more fertilizer and water to grow well than normal ones. Thus, for most farmers the savings on pesticides would not compensate for the higher seed costs and the cost of additional fertilizer. However, since consumer demand for grains, fruits, and vegetables grown without the use of pesticides continues to rise, the use of genetically engineered seeds of this kind is likely to become widespread.

In the argument given, the two portions in boldface play which of the following roles?


(A) The first supplies a context for the argument; the second is the argument's main conclusion.

(B) The first introduces a development that the argument predicts will have a certain outcome; the second is a state of affairs that the argument denies will be part of that outcome.

(C) The first presents a development that the argument predicts will have a certain outcome; the second acknowledges a consideration that weighs against that prediction.

(D) The first provides a certain outcome that the argument seeks to weigh against; the second is a consideration that support the main conclusion.

(E) The first and the second each provide evidence to support the argument's main conclusion.


Similar Question : [LINK1] [LINK2]

Spoiler: :: Click for OA
OA = D. Check Karishma's post on second page for explanation



Can someone please explain what is wrong with option C? I have gone through all explanations here but still can't understand.
SVP
SVP
User avatar
P
Joined: 03 Jun 2019
Posts: 1850
Location: India
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Plant scientists have used genetic engineering on seeds to produce cro  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Sep 2019, 09:21
sondenso wrote:
Plant scientists have used genetic engineering on seeds to produce crop plants that are highly resistant to insect damage. Unfortunately, the seeds themselves are quite expensive, and the plants require more fertilizer and water to grow well than normal ones. Thus, for most farmers the savings on pesticides would not compensate for the higher seed costs and the cost of additional fertilizer. However, since consumer demand for grains, fruits, and vegetables grown without the use of pesticides continues to rise, the use of genetically engineered seeds of this kind is likely to become widespread.

In the argument given, the two portions in boldface play which of the following roles?


(A) The first supplies a context for the argument; the second is the argument's main conclusion.

(B) The first introduces a development that the argument predicts will have a certain outcome; the second is a state of affairs that the argument denies will be part of that outcome.

(C) The first presents a development that the argument predicts will have a certain outcome; the second acknowledges a consideration that weighs against that prediction.

(D) The first provides a certain outcome that the argument seeks to weigh against; the second is a consideration that support the main conclusion.

(E) The first and the second each provide evidence to support the argument's main conclusion.


Similar Question : [LINK1] [LINK2]

Spoiler: :: Click for OA
OA = D. Check Karishma's post on second page for explanation



The first boldface is a counter-premise and second boldface is premise

IMO D
_________________
"Success is not final; failure is not fatal: It is the courage to continue that counts."

Please provide kudos if you like my post. Kudos encourage active discussions.

My GMAT Resources: -

Efficient Learning
All you need to know about GMAT quant

Tele: +91-11-40396815
Mobile : +91-9910661622
E-mail : kinshook.chaturvedi@gmail.com
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Plant scientists have used genetic engineering on seeds to produce cro   [#permalink] 01 Sep 2019, 09:21
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Plant scientists have used genetic engineering on seeds to produce cro

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  





Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne