Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 02:18 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 02:18

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: U. Chicago, Johns Hopkins, AIGAC
Own Kudos [?]: 192 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: U. Chicago, Johns Hopkins, AIGAC
Own Kudos [?]: 192 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
rbabian wrote:
pbodine,

It may not be important, but I am not of Asian background. On the contrary, I am caucasian. Would that make any difference in the judgement of my application?

Also, being from an engineering background, i would like to show schools that I am infact capable of the business world. Do you think i have done enough to display those qualities? Is there anything else i can do to make myself more well-rounded in business? What would you suggest for me to do so that I am not "comparatively common" amongst other candidates from similar backgrounds?

rbabian,

Alas, being Caucasian rather than South Asian does not change your challenge, since "white" Americans are also a statistically numerous applicant pool and therefore also face the challenge of making themselves stand out. I don't know enough about your background to say whether you have sufficiently displayed your business abilities versus your technical abilities. Your essays and reco letters will be places where you can do that. Your work leadership sounds promising as an indication that you are not just a 'techie.' I recommend seeking out more substantive leadership roles in your extracurricular involvements. Executing your b-school essays in an engaging and creative way will go a long way toward helping you stand out. You may want to check out Accepted's ebook, Techie's Guide to MBA Admissions.

Good luck,
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
 Q50  V44
Send PM
Re: Please evaluate profile [#permalink]
rbabian wrote:
- 27 yr old, male
- 3.6 GPA BSEE (Cal Poly Pomona), 3.7 MSEE (USC)
- 780 GMAT
- 5 yrs work experience at IBM as a Design Engineer. I have worked on various different projects. I have also managed several projects of teams up to 30 people.
- I have taken several business classes, (Accounting, marketing, etc.) while working to display an aptitude for the business world. I have done fairly well by managing an unoffical 3.92 GPA.
- I have participated and volunteered in the community. I have organized events to help stimulate interest in science & technology amongst young children and especially women.
- As extracurricular, I have organized a local hiking & outdoor activities club for all ages.
- I am IEEE professional organization member and active speaker on technical topics.

1) I would like to get into a top 10 schools. Do i have the credentials to be a competitive candidate?

2) I would like to transitition from technology to business (either finance, management, and/or corporate developement). However, I would like to hold on to my technical roots, by working for a tech company if possible. Which school's MBA program would be best fitted for me?

3) What would be considered my weakness? I would like to improve my chances if possible.

Your profile makes me sad :( . You are basically me (in GMAT score, ECs, similar work experience and leadership, post MBA plan) just a little bit better at everything. This is going to be a rough year. Good luck.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Please evaluate profile [#permalink]