Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 23:36 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 23:36

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4586 [49]
Given Kudos: 606
Concentration: Technology, Other
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8554 [8]
Given Kudos: 123
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 660 [4]
Given Kudos: 162
Daboo: Sonu
GMAT 1: 590 Q49 V20
GMAT 2: 730 Q50 V38
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1264 [1]
Given Kudos: 86
Concentration: Strategy
GPA: 3.71
Send PM
Re: Some members of the basketball team are members of the chess club [#permalink]
Kudos
I have made the same Venn diagram as daboo343 However, I see that both (A) and (E) can be true. How do I eliminate one and reach the correct answer.
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 4690 [1]
Given Kudos: 463
GPA: 3.5
WE:Business Development (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Re: Some members of the basketball team are members of the chess club [#permalink]
Kudos
Keats wrote:
I have made the same Venn diagram as daboo343 However, I see that both (A) and (E) can be true. How do I eliminate one and reach the correct answer.

You can eliminate option (E) if you consider CASE 1

Can you state - Some members of the chess club are not members of the debate society : Definitely no becasue here " Non member of Chess club is a member of Debate society " OR " Non member of Debate society is a member of Chess club "

However if you consider CASE 2

You can state option (E) Some members of the chess club are not members of the debate society

Remember a conclusion is one which holds true in all the possible combination or arrangement, so we may eliminate option (E)
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1264 [0]
Send PM
Some members of the basketball team are members of the chess club [#permalink]
Abhishek009 : Thank you for response.

I see that Case 2 infact tells me that option (E) is not correct. From Case 2 Venn, it is clear that some of the members of chess club are members of debate society (some part of black overlaps with green)

And if I am not mistaken E is the answer. Why are you trying to disprove it?
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 5426 [0]
Given Kudos: 346
Send PM
Expert Reply
Keats wrote:

A cannot be inferred out of the information given.

We are given that some members of Basketball club are also the members of chess club.

So, say Total basket ball members = 100

Total Chess members = 50.

Now, it may happen that All these 50 members are out of those 100 only. So, we cannot directly say that some chess members are not basket ball members.

E is the Best answer.
Director
Director
Send PM
abhimahna Thank you for the response. Can you help me explain the case with Venn. Just options (A) and (E). For me, option (E) is coming out as an answer when I look at both the Venn.

PS: I am assuming what logically flows from the argument is a "must be true" case.
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 5426 [3]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Keats wrote:
abhimahna Thank you for the response. Can you help me explain the case with Venn. Just options (A) and (E). For me, option (E) is coming out as an answer when I look at both the Venn.

PS: I am assuming what logically flows from the argument is a "must be true" case.

ok. so, you made me do some drawing after so many years. :-D

Look at the diagrams below. A is out as per the diagram on the left and E is correct as per the diagram on the right.

Also, please note that we are given " Some members of chess are members of basketball" - (1)

And " NO member of basketball is a member of Debate". Doesn't that mean those common members at the statement (1) won't be member of Debate society?

Lets take another example, Say You and I are members of Both Chess and Basket Ball.

Now, We have a condition that NO ONE from basket ball team could participate in debate, what would you infer out of that??
Attachments

Pic.jpg
Pic.jpg [ 58.71 KiB | Viewed 10997 times ]

Director
Director
Send PM
abhimahna

The first Venn on the left seals it. I have understood where I was going wrong. I missed the possibility of drawing the case where all the members of the chess club can be a part of the basketball club. This will rule out option A.

However, if I look at Venn 1, and see (E) Some members of the chess club are not members of the debate society
The above option gets incorrect because from the Venn 1, it is clear that all the members of the chess club are not members of debate society (The circle of chess club is completely inside basketball and there is no overlap of chess with debate)
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 5426 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Keats wrote:
abhimahna

The first Venn on the left seals it. I have understood where I was going wrong. I missed the possibility of drawing the case where all the members of the chess club can be a part of the basketball club. This will rule out option A.

However, if I look at Venn 1, and see (E) Some members of the chess club are not members of the debate society
The above option gets incorrect because from the Venn 1, it is clear that all the members of the chess club are not members of debate society (The circle of chess club is completely inside basketball and there is no overlap of chess with debate)

Keats bro,

You are again missing something here.

Lets take another example,

I have 10 members in chess club and as per my diagram on the left, I can say NONE is a member of debate club.

If None is a member, then it would obviously mean some are also not.

Notice the words NOT in both. I am not saying "None is a member of debate club, so Some are member of debate club." BUT I am saying the same thing. "None is a member of debate club, so some are not a Member of debate club"

This is a logical deductions concept frequently tested on exams like CAT,SAT but sometimes tested on GMAT.

I would suggest go through the below link and try solving all the questions given.

https://www.indiabix.com/logical-reasoni ... troduction
Director
Director
Send PM
I see abhimahna I understand your point. Thanks for bearing with me :-D I have never prepared for CAT and somehow such type of problems give me hard time. However, I understand now when you say 'None of the members in the Chess Club are a part of Debate Club will ensure that some of the members of the Chess Club are obviously not the part of Debate Club.'
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
hello,
Please advise me on the attached question. I have drawn an explanatory diagram.
I clearly believe that if there's no relation given between 'Debate Soc' members and Chess members, we can not draw any relation between them.

will be a great help if this is sorted for such an easy question.
Attachments

File comment: CR question
Some members.. CR.PNG
Some members.. CR.PNG [ 36.86 KiB | Viewed 10843 times ]

Originally posted by baalok88 on 29 Oct 2016, 20:02.
Last edited by Kurtosis on 30 Oct 2016, 10:59, edited 1 time in total.
Topic Merged. Refer to the above discussions
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [3]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Kudos