Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 05:23 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 05:23

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [32]
Given Kudos: 13
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Re: Round 3 Stanford admit and how not to do it! [#permalink]
Kudos
ILMRG wrote:

1.) So as far as the key points I tried to get across? Essay A which asked "what matters most and why" was a chance for me to write on a deep, emotional level unlike anything I've ever done before. I iterated this essay over 20 times with friends, family, and mentors until I felt completely naked and exposed submitting it. Only then did I know that I was sharing something that truly came from my heart. It was a raw and vulnerable piece of writing. I worked diligently to connect the life choices I have made with what matters most to me in a very authentic way. I also focused on how what matters most to me will guide my next chapter. I spoke very little about the GSB in this essay and instead focused on my story because essay B gave me a chance to talk about "why Stanford." I did not use any prep consultants though I totally think that could be a very helpful avenue (but isn't essential)

2.) As far as recommenders, I did do some prep work with them. I sent a document which outlined a number of anecdotes (from my experiences working for each of them) that they could call on when writing their recommendations. I focused on leadership and service. I did not see the prompts they received nor did I read their final products. Both of my writers know me very well personally and professionally which I think was helpful. I simply wanted to give them some ammo should they have needed it for any reason. I also gave them a copy of my latest resume to help in their writing.

3.) Is there any reason you're not applying in Round 1? If your application is ready by then, I recommend submitting it early, particularly if Stanford is where you want to go. As far as your question goes, service and volunteering are both a very important part of my story and played a pivotal role in my application. I think it's important to be plugged into your community so I would try to find some ways to get involved. It may be a little late in terms of including something like that in your application but doing something to help others certainly can't hurt and is a great thing in it of itself! As far as other things you can be doing now, I think a focus on crushing your test scores is the best thing you can do. And don't underestimate the amount of work this application requires. It's a beast and it's something you should be proud of when you submit at the end of the day!

Good luck!

This really helps, especially on point 1. I was quite hesitant to do deep dives and come off vulnerable, and focused more into how to win adcoms over and showing only the positives. This needs more work than I thought so I'm not ready for round 1 with all the essays and prepping the recommenders, I can't make it by Oct deadline. I also want more time for GMAT, I wish I can quickly write the exam but quite scared of a bad score and having to rewrite it. Agree on the volunteering, it's something great to do in itself, though inconsistent I can speak of what I truly care about ! I'm quite unprepared as my decision has been quite influenced by 2020, but I will give it my best shot. Thank you so much for your reply :) I hope you have a great start to your program this fall!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
counds good
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools: CBS '23
GMAT 1: 800 Q60 V60
GRE 1: Q167 V163
GPA: 3.35
Send PM
Kudos
THis was very helpful and inspiring! And big congratulations.

- Were any of your recommendations from direct managers?
- Do you come from a field that has many business programme admits? If so, do you think this played a role?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [1]
Given Kudos: 104
Concentration: Nonprofit, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V39
Send PM
Kudos
Hi, Thank You for sharing this. Especially amid a lot of nonsense that I was reading & getting diverted. I am especially in your debt for sharing your insights on the first essay. Hopefully, I will be focused again on my story again. I have 2 questions-
1. I am an international student. My country does not have a great LOR culture. I know American colleges value it. Is there any advice you would like to give what really adcoms would be looking in a Letter of Recommendation.
2. How did you navigate yourself about knowing the school? What was your biggest priority/strategy for it? I am sitting 8000 miles way and the internet is the only way to get to know the culture. Be it online events ( COVID Induced ) or Youtube videos. Any advice on that?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
myusername0100 wrote:
THis was very helpful and inspiring! And big congratulations.

- Were any of your recommendations from direct managers?
- Do you come from a field that has many business programme admits? If so, do you think this played a role?

Hi my friend! Thanks for your commentary.

-Both of my letters came from former, direct managers. I had just gotten a new boss during the application period so Stanford was graceful to accept letters from people who could still accurately assess my professional capability

- I did NOT come from a field with many admits. I would tell you that there are many consultants and PE/IB/VC folks in my class, but there are also so many students from unique, niche backgrounds. So Stanford really cares about YOU as a person so don't worry about being in a popular vs unpopular field.

Hope this helps! Sorry for delay in responding, has been a busy fall.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
ramkaswan wrote:
Hi, Thank You for sharing this. Especially amid a lot of nonsense that I was reading & getting diverted. I am especially in your debt for sharing your insights on the first essay. Hopefully, I will be focused again on my story again. I have 2 questions-
1. I am an international student. My country does not have a great LOR culture. I know American colleges value it. Is there any advice you would like to give what really adcoms would be looking in a Letter of Recommendation.
2. How did you navigate yourself about knowing the school? What was your biggest priority/strategy for it? I am sitting 8000 miles way and the internet is the only way to get to know the culture. Be it online events ( COVID Induced ) or Youtube videos. Any advice on that?

Thanks, I am glad you found it helpful. I tried to be as transparent as possible.

1.) As far as your LOR culture, I can't speak to that as an American (because it is a big part of our culture), but let me give you some help with regard to what I did. I knew that Stanford generally wanted to assess my character and my professional so I picked two recommenders who knew me well. I also gave them each a list of anecdotes (things I had done for them or accomplished while working with them) in a document. They both found it helpful when crafting their letters about me. Of course, you won't get to see what your recommenders write, but they both related to me that they found that document useful.

2.) I relied very heavily on current students. In a place like Stanford, people aren't going to blow smoke. You can expect students to tell you like it is and that's important. You can only get so much from an online video. I would work to connect with any grads you may know, current students you may know, or other people who are affiliated. People who know you AND know the school will really be able to give you the best intel. That being said, I'm only a week into school here and I am absolutely in love. This is truly an incredible place. I wish you the very best of luck!
GMAT Club Bot