Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 09:52 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 09:52

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Marketing, International Business
GPA: 3.1
WE:Marketing (Real Estate)
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 844 [0]
Given Kudos: 92
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Marketing, International Business
GPA: 3.1
WE:Marketing (Real Estate)
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 844 [0]
Given Kudos: 92
Send PM
Re: Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
Expert Reply
UFmark wrote:
Accepted.com wrote:
UFmark wrote:
Hey Manhattan Review,

Applying to B-schools early this fall to try and up my chances of having an opportunity at a decent school, was hoping I could get a profile evaluation.

25/M, 3.1 GPA, History Major w/ Business Administration minor at top 50 University, 700 GMAT.
Upward trending GPA showing that I matured in my final years. Sadly have a D+ in a Business Finance class in my last semester as I had to miss the Final Exam for personal reasons. Wasn't too upset about it at the time but now it is really pissing me off that I allowed myself to miss the test and screw myself.

Post-Grad WE:

First 6 months after college I was applying for law schools and working as a private LSAT tutor(I am a wizard at the Logic Games section)...decided to not go forward with Law School as I really wasn't passionate about it. In hind sight I wish I just went and did it opposed to screwing around in jobs that don't have an identifiable career path, although I do feel I have learned some great sales/personal skills from my WE.
1 Year Retail Sales - did exceptionally well, promoted, blew past several goals/store goals, received awards, #3 ranked sales associate in the company.
1 Year Residential Real Estate - currently working as a RE broker, worked with one of the top teams in Florida within the brokerage then moved on my own...doing fairly well but nothing to write home about. Not particularly happy with this field and looking to move into finance. Long term goal would be working in Private Equity/Hedge Fund arena, would have no problem parlaying my experience in RE to work for a REIT or hedge fund that specializes in RE investments.
Created a start-up real estate company that assists college students with locating/finding a realtor and securing a lease. It doesn't have direct sales numbers as it is pretty much just a lead generation site. My partners and I field most of the leads but have also referred them out for a fee.

I am an amazing interviewer as I have a strong presence and am a great speaker. I would love to attend Duke as that would be my dream school, but know it may be difficult with my profile. Also interested in Emory...Curious to see what top schools you'd think I would have a shot at(Booth would be amazing but I know my chance are extremely low). Also interested in all the top schools in NY and have been taking a look at some of the schools in Texas(UT, Rice).

Also, what could I be doing right now to improve my profile??

Thanks guys..

Right now, I don't think you are competitive at Duke or Booth, but I think you have the chance to make yourself more competitive if you use this year to strengthen your profile and apply Fall 2014 to matriculate in 2015:

1. Retake that finance class and get an A
2. If you can get a job with an REIT or RE hedge fund, do so.
3. If you are interested in the top NY schools or Booth, raise your GMAT and take a few biz-related courses and earn A's in them. If relevant, consider a CFA.
4. Take a leadership role or at least make a commitment to a extra-curricular activity.

Hope this helps.

Best,
Linda

Linda,

I appreciate your response and I apologize for the "Dear Manhattan GMAT" as I simply copy and pasted this post in all of the Profile Evaluation sections. I didn't think I would be competitive at Booth and I know Duke would be a long shot, but how do you feel about some of the other lower ranked schools I mentioned like Emory, UT, Rice, even UF possibly. Sadly with my experience it is difficult for me to get into a finance role and I am attempting to use the MBA as a means of passage to transition over.

Thanks

You are now competitive at Rice and UF, and you certainly have a shot at Emory and UT. However it will be harder to use the MBA to make the transition to PE/HF from those programs than if you attend Duke or Booth.

Best,
Linda
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Profile Evaluation [#permalink]