Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 19:46 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 19:46

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 844 [0]
Given Kudos: 92
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Own Kudos [?]: 844 [1]
Send PM
Re: Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
shouri wrote:
Hi Linda,

Hope this helps.

1) Started a test prep company in India 2 years ago. I am officially one of 3 directors in the company, but my major roles in a nutshell includes that of Business Development. Till about 3 months back I looked into the various aspects of the business ranging from Finance, Operations, HR, MArketing, BD etc.
2)
3) College info: St. Xavier's College, Kolkata (Top tier economics course in the country) Avg: 65% (Stringent marking), 2nd year my grades fell cuz I was emotionally traumatized for a bit cuz of a fmily crisis.. FInancially/Personally.
4) Led a team of 200 people for an economic conference (one of 3 years, the other 2 I was in charge of the finance committee),
- was co editor of the college magazine,
- have been a group leader for the aademic project work undertaken.
- Taugh underprivileged children English after school/college hours
- Helped raise funds for old age homes
- Helped organizing blood camps in college, and I had donated too.
- School rep for debate, quizzes, Basketball and Table Tennis
- Been a pro jazz pianist since I was 12 years old.
5) NO professional certifications
6) Kellogg, DUKE (both MBA and MIM - open to your suggestions too =)), Tuck, Haas, Esade, IESE, INSEAD and Bocconi (buffer)
7) R1 2014
8) After having gained the network and requisite skills to succeed in the corpo world, I wish to professionally experience roles related to marketing/consulting till I have sufficient exposure and built a good network. Post that I wish to start a consultancy/training company of my own. My longest term goal is to have an exposure in various sectors/verticals so that I can grow a small business into a conglomerate worth reckoning.
(Though cheezy, but true)
I hope to hear from you soon =)

Thanks,

SHouri

Kellogg, Tuck, INSEAD, and Haas are stretch programs, but you have a competitive profile at the other programs.

Best,
Linda
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Kellogg, Tuck, INSEAD, and Haas are stretch programs, but you have a competitive profile at the other programs.

Best,
Linda[/quote]

Hey,

What exactly do you mean by "stretch Programs". That I stand a good chance of cracking it? Or, "give it a try" sorta thing?
And, further, I've been told that an MNC experience counts for more. Is that generally a norm?
Finally, Given the profile (above) do you feel my candidature as strong? Or Unique?

Hopefully, this is the final set of questions :p

Looking forward to hearing from you soon

Best

Shouri
Own Kudos [?]: 844 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
shouri wrote:

Best,
Linda

Hey,

What exactly do you mean by "stretch Programs". That I stand a good chance of cracking it? Or, "give it a try" sorta thing?
And, further, I've been told that an MNC experience counts for more. Is that generally a norm?
Finally, Given the profile (above) do you feel my candidature as strong? Or Unique?

Hopefully, this is the final set of questions :p

Looking forward to hearing from you soon

Best

Shouri[/quote]

"Stretch" in my book means that you are reaching, literally stretching, to get in. In other words, your chances aren't great, but in my mind it makes sense to "give it a try."

Your GMAT is very strong. Your work experience is distinctive, but on the short side and your GPA is a little low for Kellogg, Tuck, INSEAD, and Haas. Plus INSEAD really likes its students to have multi-cultural or international experience. I don't sense that you have that. You do seem to have good leadership experience.

If you wait a year or two and advance either in this position or change jobs and get a job with even more responsibility, you will put distance between you and that GPA as well as show the growth and professional track record that could really enhance your candidacy at the top programs.

And even now, you are competitive at the other programs on your list.

I hope this clarifies my prior post.

Linda
GMAT Club Bot