Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 22:30 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 22:30

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1207 [1]
Given Kudos: 114
Concentration: Finance, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
Send PM
Re: Profile evaluation please... [#permalink]
Kudos
I think with a story like that you can definitely overcome your age. I'll leave the profile eval to the experts!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Well GMATLA, I am very objective about my probabilities but if I look around on my childhood friends, definitively I didn't have the typical life and didn't take the "safe" way. I am the first of my familiy in going to college and when I finished high school everything was attractive to me, but not for sitting 5 years to study. That is why I tested different kind of jobs before enrolling in a program in many different industries, but mainly in the show business field. Finally I finished trading the financial markets...what an irony!. As I stated in the previous post I worked full time and studied monday to friday from 7 to 10 pm and all saturdays for almost 5 years. In fact I set up a kind of hedge fund while I was just in my second year of college so I had to accelerate my financial knowledge thanks google hehehe.....and learned a lot from that experience, despite it failed.
My goals after MBA would be gaining more experience in the financial industry for a couple of years and then again set up my own business related to investment management.

Thanks GMATLA.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Guys,

What are the most friendly top programs for the atypical candidate regarding work and life experience. I mean, for what I've researched some schools, assuming good numbers on GPA and GMAT, weight more on the applicant life and not only looking for a traditional story full of successes but for a more impressive one, that do not fix with the typical straight career path (exotic applicant).
I remember the movie "21" when the main character start the movie applying to Harvard Medical School, telling a story completely different to what anybody might think of him. For those who have seen the movie, you know what it means.
Is there any top program that likes this kind of specimen?

Regards
Stacy Blackman Consulting Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 175 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Latinapp,

Thanks for your postings.

Regarding your age, both older and younger candidates will face challenges. Older candidates will have to prove that it makes sense to return to school at this late stage of their career, and that they are not merely encountering a mid-career crisis. They will also have to demonstrate that all of their time in the work world has been well spent. They should demonstrate progression, tangible contributions, and a high level of self-awareness, confidence, and maturity. A 37-year-old applicant who has spent 15 years in the same position without showing significant growth or progression will have a hard time being admitted to a top school. But this is not because they are 37 or because of the 15 years of experience. Rather, it is because they may have not demonstrated growth during that time.

Regarding you career, if you have a high volume of job changes on your resume, you may appear to lack commitment or be unfocused. You will probably need to explain the reason for your changes and help the admissions committee to understand the motivation behind your decisions. It’s important in this situation to refrain from merely chronicling your resume. You will want to explain the “WHY?” behind the “WHAT you did.” There is no right number of jobs, or right number of years at a job. Most important is to explain why each step is a logical one in your path to the MBA and longer term goals. If there was a misstep somewhere, you can explain what happened, how you corrected course and what you learned. This can also add important dimension to your application.

Hope this was of help.

Cheers,

Conrad and the Stacy Blackman Team
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Many thanks Conrad!!
Cheers
GMAT Club Bot