GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Aug 2018, 03:20

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Recipe testers should not simply blame the author

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
S
GMAT 1: 570 Q48 V20
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User
Recipe testers should not simply blame the author  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Jul 2018, 11:59
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

30% (01:13) correct 70% (01:25) wrong based on 208 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Recipe testers should not simply blame the author of a recipe when the recipe does not work but find out why the recipe was unsuccessful by studying ingredients, combinations, and temperatures. Only through this sort of exhaustive analysis can the recipes be corrected and made palatable.

Which of the following is a necessary assumption in the argument above?

A. The author of a recipe is not the cause of the recipe's failure.
B. The author of a recipe should be the one who tests the recipe.
C. More thorough testing of recipes will always create recipes that are more palatable.
D. Recipe testers should contribute to the eventual palatability of the recipes they test.
E. Most recipes are unpalatable due to the combinations of their ingredients.

Please hit kudos, if you like this post
The fact that you aren't where you want to be, should be enough motivation.

Manager
Manager
B
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Recipe testers should not simply blame the author  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Jul 2018, 12:34
pun91 wrote:
Recipe testers should not simply blame the author of a recipe when the recipe does not work but find out why the recipe was unsuccessful by studying ingredients, combinations, and temperatures. Only through this sort of exhaustive analysis can the recipes be corrected and made palatable.

C. More thorough testing of recipes will always create recipes that are more palatable.
D. Recipe testers should contribute to the eventual palatability of the recipes they test.

I went for C but I believe because it uses extreme language(More thorough testing of recipes will always create recipes that are more palatable.) it can not be the ans.
can anyone confirm the same ?

-- --
R.
If my post was of any help to you, You can thank me in the form of Kudos!!

Manager
Manager
G
Schools: INSEAD Jan '19
GMAT 1: 200 Q1 V1
GPA: 3.82
WE: Engineering (Other)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 18 Jul 2018, 18:47
pun91 wrote:

RT should not simply blame author but they should participate in the analysis why the recipe was not a success.
So our pre-thinking is RT's can contribute in making recipes more successful/palatable.

A. The author of a recipe is not the cause of the recipe's failure.- Recipe testers should not simply blame the author- So not necessary.

B. The author of a recipe should be the one who tests the recipe.-Not necessary

C. More thorough testing of recipes will always create recipes that are more palatable.- extreme

D. Recipe testers should contribute to the eventual palatability of the recipes they test.-Matches our pre-thinking.-Correct

E. Most recipes are unpalatable due to the combinations of their ingredients.-Not necessary

It seems Kudos button not working correctly with my posts..

Your help required friend!! May see if it works for you :-)

Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: General Management, Marketing
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 18 Jul 2018, 19:59
pun91 wrote:

I have chosen A.

Kindly correct me
Manager
Manager
G

Show Tags

New post 19 Jul 2018, 09:03
kunalcvrce wrote:
pun91 wrote:

I have chosen A.

Kindly correct me

The author of a recipe is not the cause of the recipe's failure.- Recipe testers should not simply blame the author-

Read carefully simply not blame the author ...there can be other reasons for the unsuccessful recipe. But then author can also be blamed for the unsuccessful recipe.

Hope this helps :-)

Manager
Manager
G

Show Tags

New post 19 Jul 2018, 09:05
kunalcvrce wrote:
pun91 wrote:

I have chosen A.

Kindly correct me

The author of a recipe is not the cause of the recipe's failure.- Recipe testers should not simply blame the author-

Read carefully simply not blame the author ...there can be other reasons for the unsuccessful recipe. But then author can also be blamed for the unsuccessful recipe.

Manager
Manager
G

Show Tags

New post 19 Jul 2018, 09:14
kunalcvrce wrote:
pun91 wrote:

I have chosen A.

Kindly correct me

Manager
Manager
G

Show Tags

New post 19 Jul 2018, 09:36
kunalcvrce wrote:
pun91 wrote:

I have chosen A.

Kindly correct me

The author of a recipe is not the cause of the recipe's failure.- Recipe testers should not simply blame the author.

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 21 Jul 2018, 01:39
pun91 wrote:

Here's my two cents. It's important to understand the argument before jumping into the options. You can use mnemonics or indicators that make life easier. especially on a time constraint that demands you solve this question in around 2 mins.

So here's the argument deconstructed:
X should not do Y but should do Z. Conclusion: only through Z can they get P. This is the least count of the argument. I'll explain what that means in point 2.
1. Repetitions not allowed.
2. Anything that breaks X, Y, Z or P further is not a sufficient assumption. for example, if I say combinations are/are not a major factor in palatability, I'm not going to blow the argument open since combinations is just one of the criteria. So keeping your cool and choosing what information can be clubbed in a variable is really important; if you can do this, the major battle is won.
Only valid assumptions: (1) Y or any other thing (not mentioned in the argument) cannot get P (2) X should do P (3) Not P means Not Z (implication contra-positive)
Anything that even hints at the above three is a winning choice.
D is an exact match.

Common wrong answers A and C
A. We can eliminate this through 1. assumption negation and 2. the fact that the option breaks the least count. It talks about the author not being the cause. Now since we selected Y to encompass "blame the author for the recipe", if the author is or isn't to be blamed doesn't support our conclusion of Analysis gives palatable (only through Z can they get P). By the first technique if you negate it again, it doesn't really weaken the argument. It actually doesn't really do anything to the argument to be honest.

C. Option C is a tricky one to eliminate, but if you have your logic (mathematical/symbolic logic) antennas up this is an easy strike out. Option C reads, in variables, If Z happens then P has to happen, which is wrong because the conclusion reads only through Z can they get P. Confused? Don't be!
Let's take Z and P as easily understood analogies. Let's call Z = Grey rainy clouds and P = rain. Let's read the conclusion. Only through grey rains clouds can they get rain. Seems legit. That means rain only comes from grey rainy clouds. Or no rain means no grey rainy clouds. Yes! that seems okay. Does the option say that though?
Now let's read option C. If grey rainy clouds occur then it has to rain. Ouch. Not necessarily. I can have grey rainy clouds and no rain. Rain needs grey rainy clouds but grey rainy clouds doesn't necessarily mean rain. There could be no rain.
AAH!!
Re: Recipe testers should not simply blame the author &nbs [#permalink] 21 Jul 2018, 01:39

Recipe testers should not simply blame the author

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap