Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 14:59 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 14:59

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 107 [42]
Given Kudos: 40
Send PM
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31968 [2]
Given Kudos: 291
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [1]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 107 [4]
Given Kudos: 40
Send PM
Researchers are finding out that plastics are taking more time to dete [#permalink]
Bookmarks
A) They originally seemed
Comparison to what?

B) they seemed originally
Originally modifies seemed, so "originally" should precede "seemed"

C) it seemed that they would originally
Originally modifies seemed, so "originally" should precede "seemed"

D) it originally seemed
Comparison to what?

E) it originally seemed they would
Correct. "It" is an expletive and does not need to refer to a noun. "It" is not preferred, but grammatically correct (similar to choosing a somewhat wordy but grammatically correct answer when the other answer choices have errors).

"They" is correct - "they" refers to plastics.

"Would" is used as an uncertainty - what originally was thought would occur in the present as a hypothetical. What follows after "would" refers to the time of deterioration in the hypothetical present at the exact same time as what is actually happening now. So, "would" is necessary, otherwise you'd be comparing two events that are actually happening now, instead of one actual and one hypothetical event. Nothing follows "would" because it's sort of like the structure of "Mike is taller than Brent is (tall)." It's not incorrect to add the parallel after "would" (e.g. take) but it's less concise and unnecessary to do so.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 125 [0]
Given Kudos: 231
Send PM
Re: Researchers are finding out that plastics are taking more time to dete [#permalink]
correct answer can be deduced as option E as they refers to to plastics hence option A and B are out.from other choices option C has wrong usage of that.option D has wrong comparison. So correct answer option E
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Send PM
Re: Researchers are finding out that plastics are taking more time to dete [#permalink]
daagh wrote:
One would agree that there is an element of ellipsis involved in the question. The full underlined portion should end in saying that they originally seemed to take or they originally seemed taking. Or else, the comparison turns weird between the time they take to deteriorate and how they see,
In C and E, the ellipsis does not work; would to take or would taking is grammatically wrong; In addition to take cannot act as an ellipsis, because it is not mentioned verbatim in the prior part of the sentence. So we are left with A or D, A deserves merit because of the plural pronoun ‘they’ that stands for the plural plastics.

Hi daagh

Could u pls explain in A, how can we assume that "to take" is present for ellipsis. You said it should be present verbatim.

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 88 [0]
Given Kudos: 87
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V37
GPA: 4
Send PM
Researchers are finding out that plastics are taking more time to dete [#permalink]
mikemcgarry , GMATNinja , GMATNinjatwo , abhimahna

OA for this question is E. However I feel A is the correct choice. E seems wrong because of two reasons

1. "they would" is wrong because the plastics take more time to deteriorate not the reasearchers
2. "it seemed" also looks wrong because here the word "seemed" is used in the context of "anticipate". It's the researchers who had anticipated not the plastic

Kindly confirm whether my reasoning is correct
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 5428 [1]
Given Kudos: 346
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
prateek176 wrote:
OA for this question is E. However I feel A is the correct choice. E seems wrong because of two reasons

1. "they would" is wrong because the plastics take more time to deteriorate not the reasearchers
2. "it seemed" also looks wrong because here the word "seemed" is used in the context of "anticipate". It's the researchers who had anticipated not the plastic

Hey prateek176 ,

I am happy to help. :)

Looks like you didn't understand the construction properly here.

Researchers are finding out that plastics are taking more time to deteriorate than they originally seemed.

Now, after that we should have an independent clause. So, "plastics are taking more time to deteriorate than they originally seemed." should be an independent clause.

Now, considering that "they" should refer to Plastics. This is incorrect, Hence, option A gone.

Now, Let's talk about option E.

1. "they would" is wrong because the plastics take more time to deteriorate not the reasearchers. --> This is incorrect. I hope above explanation clarifies this point.
2. "it seemed" also looks wrong because here the word "seemed" is used in the context of "anticipate". It's the researchers who had anticipated not the plastic. --> It is used as a placeholder here. I am saying "It seemed plastics would deteriorate.". The way I have used "It" in my sentence, it is used in a similar way in option E.

Does that make sense?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 88 [0]
Given Kudos: 87
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V37
GPA: 4
Send PM
abhimahna wrote:
prateek176 wrote:

Hey prateek176 ,

I am happy to help. :)

Looks like you didn't understand the construction properly here.

Researchers are finding out that plastics are taking more time to deteriorate than they originally seemed.

Now, after that we should have an independent clause. So, "plastics are taking more time to deteriorate than they originally seemed." should be an independent clause.

Now, considering that "they" should refer to Plastics. This is incorrect, Hence, option A gone.

Now, Let's talk about option E.

1. "they would" is wrong because the plastics take more time to deteriorate not the reasearchers. --> This is incorrect. I hope above explanation clarifies this point.
2. "it seemed" also looks wrong because here the word "seemed" is used in the context of "anticipate". It's the researchers who had anticipated not the plastic. --> It is used as a placeholder here. I am saying "It seemed plastics would deteriorate.". The way I have used "It" in my sentence, it is used in a similar way in option E.

Does that make sense?

abhimahna
In that case what's wrong with option D. It is a bit more concise??
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 87 [0]
Given Kudos: 47
Send PM
here is what I am thinking and would love a feedback

A, B and C: all of these options are wrong because they use the pronoun they and we do not have a clear antecedent of they. They could refer to researchers and plastics, correct?

I thought D would be a correct answer because of its conciseness, However its wrong. Anyways I agree with abhimahna that It is used as a placeholder in both option D & E. But here is my reasoning for D & E:

Option D: Researchers are finding out that plastics are taking more time to deteriorate than it originally seemed (Plastics are taking more time than researchers thought they would take. For example, Let's say researchers thought that plastics will deteriorate in 20 mins but they actually take 50mins to deteriorate. So to put in perspective we need to use would in order to refer to the comparison of anticipated time and actual time. So D is wrong for not showing that clarity in the comparison and one way is to use the word would. Again I am open to critical analysis of what I am saying here)
Option E: Researchers are finding out that plastics are taking more time to deteriorate than it originally seemed they would. ( Now this option sort of hit the nail that researchers thought plastics would take 20mins but they actually take 50mins. In other words, plastics take longer than what was expected. However, I am not sure about the antecedent of they. It seems to me that they can refer to plastics or researchers/ Although logically it should be plastics)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
A compares rime to plastics, which is incorrect. B does the same thing, so the first two options are out due to parallelism error. In option C, ‘that’ is redundant. D makes a wrong comparison, as well. Plastics are compared to time. E is mostly correct but there is still ambiguity on the right antecedent for ‘it’

Still, E is the best choice.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts