GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 17 Jul 2018, 06:55

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Researchers are finding out that plastics are taking more time to dete

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

3 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Researchers are finding out that plastics are taking more time to dete [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Jul 2015, 06:18
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

75% (hard)

Question Stats:

32% (00:40) correct 68% (00:37) wrong based on 418 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Researchers are finding out that plastics are taking more time to deteriorate than they originally seemed.

A) They originally seemed
B) they seemed originally
C) it seemed that they would originally
D) it originally seemed
E) it originally seemed they would
Expert Post
Math Expert
V
Researchers are finding out that plastics are taking more time to dete [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Jul 2015, 06:40
Researchers are finding out that plastics are taking more time to deteriorate than they originally seemed.

here time taken is compared to plastics
same as A
that is redundant. placement of originally changes the meaning
D) it originally seemed
again wrong comparision
Correct.. but the antecedents of "it" can be questioned... However the best choice
ans E

1) Absolute modulus : http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
2)Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html
3) effects of arithmetic operations : https://gmatclub.com/forum/effects-of-arithmetic-operations-on-fractions-269413.html

GMAT online Tutor

Expert Post
Retired Moderator
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Re: Researchers are finding out that plastics are taking more time to dete [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Jul 2015, 07:11
One would agree that there is an element of ellipsis involved in the question. The full underlined portion should end in saying that they originally seemed to take or they originally seemed taking. Or else, the comparison turns weird between the time they take to deteriorate and how they see,
In C and E, the ellipsis does not work; would to take or would taking is grammatically wrong; In addition to take cannot act as an ellipsis, because it is not mentioned verbatim in the prior part of the sentence. So we are left with A or D, A deserves merit because of the plural pronoun ‘they’ that stands for the plural plastics.

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 18 Jul 2015, 08:25
Comparison to what?

Originally modifies seemed, so "originally" should precede "seemed"

Originally modifies seemed, so "originally" should precede "seemed"

D) it originally seemed
Comparison to what?

Correct. "It" is an expletive and does not need to refer to a noun. "It" is not preferred, but grammatically correct (similar to choosing a somewhat wordy but grammatically correct answer when the other answer choices have errors).

"They" is correct - "they" refers to plastics.

"Would" is used as an uncertainty - what originally was thought would occur in the present as a hypothetical. What follows after "would" refers to the time of deterioration in the hypothetical present at the exact same time as what is actually happening now. So, "would" is necessary, otherwise you'd be comparing two events that are actually happening now, instead of one actual and one hypothetical event. Nothing follows "would" because it's sort of like the structure of "Mike is taller than Brent is (tall)." It's not incorrect to add the parallel after "would" (e.g. take) but it's less concise and unnecessary to do so.
Director
Director
G
Reviews Badge
Re: Researchers are finding out that plastics are taking more time to dete [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Apr 2016, 03:57
correct answer can be deduced as option E as they refers to to plastics hence option A and B are out.from other choices option C has wrong usage of that.option D has wrong comparison. So correct answer option E
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 17 Apr 2016, 21:01
daagh wrote:
One would agree that there is an element of ellipsis involved in the question. The full underlined portion should end in saying that they originally seemed to take or they originally seemed taking. Or else, the comparison turns weird between the time they take to deteriorate and how they see,
In C and E, the ellipsis does not work; would to take or would taking is grammatically wrong; In addition to take cannot act as an ellipsis, because it is not mentioned verbatim in the prior part of the sentence. So we are left with A or D, A deserves merit because of the plural pronoun ‘they’ that stands for the plural plastics.

Hi daagh

Could u pls explain in A, how can we assume that "to take" is present for ellipsis. You said it should be present verbatim.

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 630 Q49 V27

Show Tags

New post 05 Apr 2018, 08:02
mikemcgarry , GMATNinja , GMATNinjatwo , abhimahna

OA for this question is E. However I feel A is the correct choice. E seems wrong because of two reasons

1. "they would" is wrong because the plastics take more time to deteriorate not the reasearchers
2. "it seemed" also looks wrong because here the word "seemed" is used in the context of "anticipate". It's the researchers who had anticipated not the plastic

Kindly confirm whether my reasoning is correct
1 KUDOS received
Board of Directors
V
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 06 Apr 2018, 04:06
prateek176 wrote:
OA for this question is E. However I feel A is the correct choice. E seems wrong because of two reasons

1. "they would" is wrong because the plastics take more time to deteriorate not the reasearchers
2. "it seemed" also looks wrong because here the word "seemed" is used in the context of "anticipate". It's the researchers who had anticipated not the plastic

Hey prateek176 ,

I am happy to help. :)

Looks like you didn't understand the construction properly here.

Now, after that we should have an independent clause. So, "plastics are taking more time to deteriorate than they originally seemed." should be an independent clause.

Now, considering that "they" should refer to Plastics. This is incorrect, Hence, option A gone.

Now, Let's talk about option E.

1. "they would" is wrong because the plastics take more time to deteriorate not the reasearchers. --> This is incorrect. I hope above explanation clarifies this point.
2. "it seemed" also looks wrong because here the word "seemed" is used in the context of "anticipate". It's the researchers who had anticipated not the plastic. --> It is used as a placeholder here. I am saying "It seemed plastics would deteriorate.". The way I have used "It" in my sentence, it is used in a similar way in option E.

Does that make sense?

My GMAT Story: From V21 to V40
My MBA Journey: My 10 years long MBA Dream
My Secret Hacks: Best way to use GMATClub | Importance of an Error Log!
Verbal Resources: All SC Resources at one place | All CR Resources at one place
Blog: Subscribe to Question of the Day Blog

GMAT Club Inbuilt Error Log Functionality - View More.
New Visa Forum - Ask all your Visa Related Questions - here.

New! Best Reply Functionality on GMAT Club!

Find a bug in the new email templates and get rewarded with 2 weeks of GMATClub Tests for free

Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 630 Q49 V27

Show Tags

New post 22 Apr 2018, 12:29
abhimahna wrote:
prateek176 wrote:

Hey prateek176 ,

I am happy to help. :)

Looks like you didn't understand the construction properly here.

Now, after that we should have an independent clause. So, "plastics are taking more time to deteriorate than they originally seemed." should be an independent clause.

Now, considering that "they" should refer to Plastics. This is incorrect, Hence, option A gone.

Now, Let's talk about option E.

1. "they would" is wrong because the plastics take more time to deteriorate not the reasearchers. --> This is incorrect. I hope above explanation clarifies this point.
2. "it seemed" also looks wrong because here the word "seemed" is used in the context of "anticipate". It's the researchers who had anticipated not the plastic. --> It is used as a placeholder here. I am saying "It seemed plastics would deteriorate.". The way I have used "It" in my sentence, it is used in a similar way in option E.

Does that make sense?

abhimahna
In that case what's wrong with option D. It is a bit more concise??
Manager
Manager
B
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 22 Apr 2018, 13:31
here is what I am thinking and would love a feedback

A, B and C: all of these options are wrong because they use the pronoun they and we do not have a clear antecedent of they. They could refer to researchers and plastics, correct?

I thought D would be a correct answer because of its conciseness, However its wrong. Anyways I agree with abhimahna that It is used as a placeholder in both option D & E. But here is my reasoning for D & E:

Option D: Researchers are finding out that plastics are taking more time to deteriorate than it originally seemed (Plastics are taking more time than researchers thought they would take. For example, Let's say researchers thought that plastics will deteriorate in 20 mins but they actually take 50mins to deteriorate. So to put in perspective we need to use would in order to refer to the comparison of anticipated time and actual time. So D is wrong for not showing that clarity in the comparison and one way is to use the word would. Again I am open to critical analysis of what I am saying here)
Option E: Researchers are finding out that plastics are taking more time to deteriorate than it originally seemed they would. ( Now this option sort of hit the nail that researchers thought plastics would take 20mins but they actually take 50mins. In other words, plastics take longer than what was expected. However, I am not sure about the antecedent of they. It seems to me that they can refer to plastics or researchers/ Although logically it should be plastics)

1. Well Begun is Half done
2. He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes; he who does not ask a question remains a fool forever.
3. The night is darkest just before the dawn

Researchers are finding out that plastics are taking more time to dete   [#permalink] 22 Apr 2018, 13:31

Researchers are finding out that plastics are taking more time to dete

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap