It is currently 24 Feb 2018, 10:02

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Responding to the publics fascination with-and sometimes

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 710 Q45 V41
GMAT 2: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.76
Reviews Badge
Re: Responding to the publics fascination with-and sometimes [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Jul 2017, 11:19
goalsnr wrote:
Responding to the public’s fascination with - and sometimes undue alarm over-possible threats from asteroids, a scale
developed by astronomers rates the likelihood that a particular asteroid or comet may
collide with Earth.

A. a scale developed by astronomers rates the likelihood that a particular asteroid or comet may
B. a scale that astronomers have developed rates how likely it is for a particular asteroid or comet to
C. astronomers have developed a scale to rate how likely a particular asteroid or comet will be to
D. astronomers have developed a scale for rating the likelihood that a particular asteroid or comet will
E. astronomers have developed a scale that rates the likelihood of a particular asteroid or comet that may

A) The "scale" did not "respond"--the "astronomers" did.
B) The "scale" did not "respond"--the "astronomers" did.
C) The likeliness of a comet striking does not vary with time. It should be "how like a comet is" vs. "will be."
D) Correct.
E) "Of" cannot introduce a clause.
BSchool Forum Moderator
G
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36
GPA: 4

Show Tags

New post 29 Sep 2017, 03:10
Hey egmat

Based on this article below, can you help to distinguish between Option C and Option D?
http://gmatclub.com/forum/to-verb-vs-fo ... 44017.html

According to the article, option C makes sense because the scale was developed for the purpose of rating the likelihood....
So there is a clear intent, hence "to+verb" makes sense here.

Can you help me understand where I am going wrong?

My journey From 410 to 700 :-)
Here's my experience when I faced a glitch in my GMAT Exam
Don't do this mistake when you give your GMATPrep Mock!

Manager
Manager
S
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V25
GPA: 3.75
WE: Web Development (Consulting)
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 21 Oct 2017, 11:57
pikolo2510 wrote:
Hey egmat

Based on this article below, can you help to distinguish between Option C and Option D?

According to the article, option C makes sense because the scale was developed for the purpose of rating the likelihood....

Hey egmat,

Can you please clear this doubt? Even I am having the same query.

Thanks.
-Varun
Manager
Manager
B
Responding to the publics fascination with-and sometimes [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Oct 2017, 12:40
pikolo2510 wrote:
Hey egmat

C. astronomers have developed a scale to rate how likely a particular asteroid or comet will be to
D. astronomers have developed a scale for rating the likelihood that a particular asteroid or comet will
E. astronomers have developed a scale that rates the likelihood of a particular asteroid or comet that may

The problem is not about "to rate", "for rating" or "that rates". They are all OK.

The problem with C: "How likely" is used with "is", not "will".
The problem with D : "the likelihood that something WILL happen, not MAY happen "

Seize the day.

Last edited by Scorpi0n on 22 Oct 2017, 01:05, edited 2 times in total.
Manager
Manager
S
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Responding to the publics fascination with-and sometimes [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Oct 2017, 00:21
For those who are confused between the options C and D, please read the Ron's explanation below,

Responding to the public’s fascination with-and sometimes undue alarm over-possible threats from asteroids, a scale developed by astronomers rates the likelihood that a particular asteroid or comet may collide with Earth.

In choosing between C and D, first consider the intended meaning. We're interested in the current likelihood that the comet/asteroid will strike Earth in the future..
In other words, How likely is it NOW that a comet/asteroid WILL STRIKE Earth?

This distinction comes into play when you look at the verbs in C and D. Different verbs.

C mentions "how likely a comet/asteroid will be". Nope. The likelihood is something that exists now, not in the future. (That's the definition of "likelihood": How probable does this event seem right now?
There's no "future likelihood" here. In the future, the event either happens or doesn't happen.)

D mentions the likelihood (as measured at present) that a comet/asteroid will collide (in the future) with Earth. That makes sense.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 23 Oct 2017, 07:23
goalsnr wrote:
Responding to the public’s fascination with - and sometimes undue alarm over-possible threats from asteroids, a scale
developed by astronomers rates the likelihood that a particular asteroid or comet may
collide with Earth.

A. a scale developed by astronomers rates the likelihood that a particular asteroid or comet may
B. a scale that astronomers have developed rates how likely it is for a particular asteroid or comet to

we can eliminate c because "will be to collide" dose not exist in english. we can eliminate e because "likelihood of particular asteroid " is not logic.

but I want to say about "to rate" and "for rating" and "that rates " in choice c,d and e.

"to rate " can be used to show a purpose of a main verb.
for rating can be used to show a purpose of a noun.
so both "to rate" and "for rating" happen in grammar. but which one is more logic.

using our common sense of this world, we can sense that "for rating" modifying noun is more logic than "to rate' modifying the main verb.

but another thing happen here. "noun to do" also exist in english, "to do" modifying noun. so, when to use 'noun to do" and when to use "noun for doing". this point is idiomatic.

I think there is a high point of grammar here.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
S
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 21 Nov 2017, 07:28
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
goalsnr wrote:
Responding to the public’s fascination with - and sometimes undue alarm over-possible threats from asteroids, a scale developed by astronomers rates the likelihood that a particular asteroid or comet may collide with Earth.

Options A and B can be quickly eliminated because of the modifier error as " a scale" did not respond to the public's fascination.

In choosing between C and D, first consider the intended meaning. We're interested in the current likelihood that the comet/asteroid will strike Earth in the future..
In other words, How likely is it NOW that a comet/asteroid WILL STRIKE Earth?

This distinction comes into play when you look at the verbs in C and D. Different verbs.

C mentions "how likely a comet/asteroid will be". Nope. The likelihood is something that exists now, not in the future. (That's the definition of "likelihood": How probable does this event seem right now?
There's no "future likelihood" here. In the future, the event either happens or doesn't happen.)

D mentions the likelihood (as measured at present) that a comet/asteroid will collide (in the future) with Earth. That makes sense.

The last choice E refers to "the likelihood of an asteroid or comet". That doesn't make sense; a physical object doesn't have a "likelihood". We can only talk about the likelihood that something will happen.

Thus, choice D is the answer.
Manager
Manager
B
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 21 Nov 2017, 18:57
A quick way..to distinguish C/D/E

Have you ever read/heard anyone say "will be to"? Nope..yea that's because it's purely ungrammatical.
likelihood that a particular asteroid = any potential asteroid (that's coming to get us!)
likelihood of a particular asteriod = we are only looking at 1 asteroid - KSPHMD1337. Astronomers from MIT are probably smarter than that and it is highly unlikely that they will make a scale JUST to measure 1 asteroid......unless it's the one in The Expanse. :P

Insanity at its finest.

Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 26 Nov 2017, 06:07
In option C is "will be to collide" right way to use ? Isn't it awkward ? Some say answer is C and some say D. Can you please shed some light ? Thanks
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 26 Nov 2017, 23:41
Hey. I am confused between D and E.
Can someone please explain what the OA is and why?
Expert Post
Manhattan Prep Instructor
S

Show Tags

New post 26 Nov 2017, 23:59
The OA is definitely D. aceGMAT21 covers C/D/E very capably, but if you have further questions, ask away.

Dmitry Farber | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | New York

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile |
Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Intern
Intern
CAT Tests
GMAT PREP- Asteroid Question - Please Explain [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Dec 2017, 16:20
Responding to the public's fascination with-and sometimes undue alarm over-possible threats from asteroids, a scale developed by astronomers rates the likelihood that a particular asteroid or comet may collide with Earth.

(A) a scale developed by astronomers rates the likelihood that a particular asteroid or comet may
(B) a scale that astronomers have developed rates how likely it is for a particular asteroid or comet to
(C) astronomers have developed a scale to rate how likely a particular asteroid or comet will be to
(D) astronomers have developed a scale for rating the likelihood that a particular asteroid or comet will
(E) astronomers have developed a scale that rates the likelihood of a particular asteroid or comet that may
Intern
Intern
CAT Tests
Re: GMAT PREP- Asteroid Question - Please Explain [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Dec 2017, 16:22
Can you please explain the correct answer. I learned that the test writers generally frown upon mid-sentence -ing verbs. Can you please clarify.

Thank You
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V35

Show Tags

New post 19 Dec 2017, 17:01
D looks best. A and B can be eliminated as the modifier responding to must modify astronomers. C is awkward.E comet that may is incorrect I think.

Sent from my iPad using GMAT Club Forum
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Concentration: Marketing, Organizational Behavior
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 19 Dec 2017, 18:00
Likely already shows uncertainty. May is redundant in such case. Likely + will is correct.
D.

Posted from my mobile device

------------------------------
"Trust the timing of your life"
Hit Kudus if this has helped you get closer to your goal, and also to assist others save time. Tq :)

Re: GMAT PREP- Asteroid Question - Please Explain   [#permalink] 19 Dec 2017, 18:00

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5   [ 95 posts ] 

Responding to the publics fascination with-and sometimes

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap