Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 07:01 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 07:01

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 410 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
Send PM
MBA and Beyond Consulting
Status:MBA Admissions Consulting from INSEAD, Wharton and Columbia graduates
Affiliations: INSEAD and Harvard
Own Kudos [?]: 350 [1]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Own Kudos [?]: 350 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Send PM
Re: Rotman Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
Name/username: Kanika Prakash/ kanika1997
Country/Location : United Arab Emirates
Under-Graduate School : American University of Sharjah
Under-Graduate GPA: 3.2
GMAT/GRE Test scores: GRE 321
Total Work Experience : 48 months
Pre-MBA Industry : Consulting
Target industry post-MBA: Consulting
Brief about Work Experience :
Risk Advisory Consultant focusing on financial transformation and business performance improvement for medium to large client across various industries at a Fortune500 financials services consultancy firm.

What is your relation to the Recommenders?(Manager. client etc):
Direct supervisor - Partner at consulting firm that I worked at
Indirect Supervisor - Founder and CEO of the consulting firm i worked at

Volunteering/Extra-curriculars:
- Mental Health volunteer since covid
- Alumni board member of undergraduate institution
- Mentorship program with Deloittee
- Mckinsey program for honing digital consulting skills

During undergrad,
- AIESEC global volunteer
- Quant courses tutor
- teaching assistant for strategy management professor
- worked at a financial trading floor

International Experience : Worked with European and Middle East founders and clients for. 2+ years (no travel)

Scholarship Given? : Entrance scholarship

The motivation for MBA and why Now brief? :
Pivot to fintech as tech capabilities are at a rise in the financials services sector

Short-Term Goal : tech consultant at a financial services consulting firm

Long-Term Goal : tech transformation leader in finance team at a mid-sized firm

Link to your interview debrief:

Did you use the help of an MBA Consultant? :

I used the help of MBA&Beyond services for other universities.. used similar material for Rotman, although did not get Rotman application materials reviewed by them

Any comments, feelings, advice to share?:
Network with admissions committee manager of your region from Rotman before applying. I feel this made the difference and I got an interview invite within 3-5 days of my video essay.

Always dress professionally in every interaction with admission committee, virtual or otherwise, even for the recorded video interview.

Knowledge of Rotman and what it means to you is very important - speak with confidence and make sure you are clear on your goals and why rotman is the place where you want to be.

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Schools: ISB '25
GMAT 1: 630 Q48 V28
GMAT 2: 640 Q48 V28
GMAT 3: 670 Q49 V33
GMAT 4: 720 Q50 V39
GPA: 3.5/4
Send PM
Re: Rotman Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
Hi all,

I am Indian male from Commerce background

Background
Xth: 85.5%
XII: 90.2%

Undergrad Information: B.com(Hons) from Deen dayal Upadhyaya College, University of Delhi
GPA~3.5
Did some extra curriculars have mentioned them in community and others section

GMAT: 670(Q49,V33)

Work experience and leadership:
Working in Ernst and Young(UK based accounting firm) since 6 months.

Community and others
Volunteer work: Made 14 persons literate. Used to help at oldage homes as a part of SUPW at school level.

Did a 3 month Internship at a marketing startup

Positions of Responsibility

-General Secretary,The Debating Society of College
-Member, Entrepreneurship Development Cell of College
-Member,The Finance Society of College
-Member,180 Degree Consulting of College
-Member of School and College Football(Soccer) team
-Won in-house case competiton at 180 Degrees Consulting at college level
-Organized various Debating and marketing events

Post MBA goals
Want to go into strategy Consulting

Anything else?

I know I have less work experience, I will apply when I will have around 3 years of work experience in my current job.
I just want to know my chances so that I can decide if I need to take GMAT again since I am quite tired after 3 attempts of gmat.

Thanks
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hey GautamKhanduja,

Thanks for sharing your profile.

Your profile looks good on the surface. On the academic front, 670 is a decent score when targeting Rotman. Your GPA also falls within the range.

Considering your work profile, since you have just started working, it would be essential for you to ensure proper planning of your work tenure and career trajectory. It is important to build a strong work portfolio to ensure admits at the top school.

On the other hand, ECs play an important role in an application. Since you have mentioned involvement in various organizations, it will help you display your diverse profile. Also highlight your association with social activities (old age home), it provides a major boost to your profile.

To answer your question, GMAT score alone does not secure admission at top schools, however, the higher the score, the better the chances. If you can manage a 700+ score, it may work your way in at top B-schools. You have time in your hand, don’t hurry, prepare thoroughly and give your best.

Overall your profile seems good, if worked properly from the very beginning, you stand a high chance of acceptance.

Cheers!
Neha Hadke
Strategy Manager
Testimonials
Meet our Panel of Consultants.
Email: neha@mbaandbeyond.com

GautamKhanduja wrote:
Hi all,

Background

Undergrad Information: B.com(Hons) from Deen dayal Upadhyaya College, University of Delhi
GPA~3.5

Community and others
Volunteer work: Made 14 persons literate. Used to help at oldage homes as a part of SUPW at school level.

Post MBA goals

Anything else?

I know I have less work experience, I will apply when I will have around 3 years of work experience in my current job.
I just want to know my chances so that I can decide if I need to take GMAT again since I am quite tired after 3 attempts of gmat.

Thanks
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Schools: ISB '25
GMAT 1: 630 Q48 V28
GMAT 2: 640 Q48 V28
GMAT 3: 670 Q49 V33
GMAT 4: 720 Q50 V39
GPA: 3.5/4
Send PM
MBAandBeyond wrote:
Hey GautamKhanduja,

Thanks for sharing your profile.

Your profile looks good on the surface. On the academic front, 670 is a decent score when targeting Rotman. Your GPA also falls within the range.

Considering your work profile, since you have just started working, it would be essential for you to ensure proper planning of your work tenure and career trajectory. It is important to build a strong work portfolio to ensure admits at the top school.

On the other hand, ECs play an important role in an application. Since you have mentioned involvement in various organizations, it will help you display your diverse profile. Also highlight your association with social activities (old age home), it provides a major boost to your profile.

To answer your question, GMAT score alone does not secure admission at top schools, however, the higher the score, the better the chances. If you can manage a 700+ score, it may work your way in at top B-schools. You have time in your hand, don’t hurry, prepare thoroughly and give your best.

Overall your profile seems good, if worked properly from the very beginning, you stand a high chance of acceptance.

Cheers!
Neha Hadke
Strategy Manager
Testimonials

Hi MBAandBeyond

Thanks Neha for the evaluation.

Can you please suggest ways in which I can boost my profile apart from GMAT score and work experience.
I can work on that since I have some time at hand.

Thanks,
Gautam
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Leadership, Marketing
Schools: Rotman '25
GPA: 3.88
WE:Brand Management (Advertising and PR)
Send PM
Background and nationality: Pakistani
Undergrad Information: University of Lahore - BBA Hons (Marketing) CGPA 3.69 - Last semester GPA 3.88
GMAT: N/A
Work experience and leadership: 4.5 years experience ( 1 year international experience remote work, 1 year full-time at a local animation film house and the rest were internships/consultancies)
Community and others: Was part of Google Developers Group Islamabad, OPEN Islamabad & Friends of Environment NGO
Post MBA goals: Establish a boutique branding consultancy tailored to offering customised solutions

Please share your thoughts of what can strengthen my application :)
SVP
SVP
Send PM
Expert Reply
GautamKhanduja wrote:
Hi all,

Background

GPA~3.5

Community and others

Post MBA goals

Anything else?

Thanks

Hey GautamKhanduja ,

Let me start by saying that you have a strong profile and a strong brand name because you graduated from Delhi University. Your GPA is also good, since all the best schools give a lot of weight to grades above 3.5.

Only 15% of the weight is given to your academics, 30% to your work experience, and the remaining 30% to your extracurriculars. This means that the work experience will be the most important factor. You have some good work experience, and E&Y is a well-known brand name. You can talk about clients, try to talk about what you've done here, and put a number on everything that needs to be quantified. Quantification will show the schools what kind of business person you are.

You also do a lot of good things outside of school, but again, you should focus more on leadership and organisation skills. You can also talk about events you planned.

Also, adding a few courses will help your profile in a big way. If you want to work in this field after getting your MBA, you can also do something related to strategy consulting.

If you are a 2022 graduate, getting an MBA would be a little hard right now. If you want to get an MBA abroad, you need at least three years of work experience, but for the best business schools, you need four to six years.

You're only eligible for an MBA if you have three years of experience, but there's a big difference between being eligible and being competent.

If you want to study abroad, I think you should try to get in for 2024 and aim for a Masters in Management programme. That will also give you time to improve your GMAT score to something like 700 or more. If it's the GRE, try to get a score of 322 or more.

Then you can look at schools like:

1. LBS
2. LSE
3. Imperial
4. Cass
5. Warwick
6. HEC Paris
7. INSEAD
8. ESSEC
9. Duke
10. Cornell
11. Kellogg

If you need more help, we'd be happy to setup a call and give more pointers on how to improve your profile and the right schools you should target.
You can setup a call via this link:
https://bit.ly/3DSH5km

Originally posted by MiMEssay on 11 Jan 2023, 04:31.
Last edited by MiMEssay on 08 Feb 2023, 00:52, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
GRE 1: Q168 V160
GPA: 3.36
Send PM
WE: 5y/60 months
sector: IB/ sales & trading at a global multinational bank. Southeast Asian
The interview experience was very similar to the interview debriefs, it was excellent and welcoming. Applied round 1 on the 10h of September
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hi everyone,

I had a few questions regarding Rotman MBA application (class of 2025). I will be applying in the round 3. I just wanted to know the below

1. I will be claiming exemption from GMAT as I cleared CFA level III (Not charterholder). Will the decision be in my favour or do they prefer candidates with GMAT? I'm just worried that I wont be shortlisted given I havent given GMAT and my profile wont be competitive. Moreover, I'm applying in Round 3.

2. I'm an Indian working in Canada on a PR. I work with a Big 4 consulting firm in the tax consulting profile (4.5 years of total work ex). I'm a CA and CFA from India. Is my profile good enough to get shortlisted for Rotman?
SVP
SVP
Send PM
Expert Reply
rohan011294 wrote:
Hi everyone,

I had a few questions regarding Rotman MBA application (class of 2025). I will be applying in the round 3. I just wanted to know the below

1. I will be claiming exemption from GMAT as I cleared CFA level III (Not charterholder). Will the decision be in my favour or do they prefer candidates with GMAT? I'm just worried that I wont be shortlisted given I havent given GMAT and my profile wont be competitive. Moreover, I'm applying in Round 3.

2. I'm an Indian working in Canada on a PR. I work with a Big 4 consulting firm in the tax consulting profile (4.5 years of total work ex). I'm a CA and CFA from India. Is my profile good enough to get shortlisted for Rotman?

Hey rohan011294,

The exemption from GMAT may be in your favour if you have cleared CFA level III, as the Rotman MBA program recognizes the CFA designation as an alternative to the GMAT. However, the final decision will depend on the Admissions Committee's evaluation of your profile as a whole, including your work experience and academic background.

Based on your profile, being an Indian working in Canada with a PR and 4.5 years of work experience in a Big 4 consulting firm in tax consulting, as well as holding a CA and CFA from India, it appears that you have a strong foundation for a competitive application to the Rotman MBA program.

I would suggest quantifying and emphasising your professional accomplishments and demonstrating your potential for success in the program through your application materials, to further increase your chances of being shortlisted.

Based on your profile, you could consider applying to top-tier MBA programs that recognize the CFA designation as an alternative to the GMAT, such as:

1. Ivey Business School, University of Western Ontario
2. Queen's University, Smith School of Business
3. Schulich School of Business, York University
4. Sauder School of Business, University of British Columbia

Additionally, considering your background working in a Big 4 consulting firm and being a CA and CFA from India, you may also consider applying to the following MBA programs:

1. INSEAD
2. London Business School
3. Harvard Business School
4. Stanford Graduate School of Business
5. Wharton School, University of Pennsylvania

If you need more help, we'd be happy to setup a call and give more pointers on how to improve your profile and the right schools you should target.
You can setup a call via this link:
https://bit.ly/3DSH5km
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
Hello guys,

I am a Petroleum Engineer graduated in 2015 with 8.65/10 CGPA. My GMAT is 680 (Q49 V34 IR5 AWA5)

Work Experience (8 years):
1. June 2015 to July 2019: Installation Manager, Gujarat State Petroleum Corporation Ltd. (INDIA) – Oil & Gas E&P company. Domain – Operations and logistics
2. July 2019 to Sept 2021: Field Technical Professional, Halliburton World wide Ltd. UAE – Oil & Gas service provider. Domain – Operations and Project planning/execution
3. Oct 2021 to Present: Investment Banking Associate, JPMorgan Chase & Co. (INDIA) Domain – Energy Financing (Technical Valuations)

I want to apply for FT-MBA at Rotman School of Management. How likely is it for such profile and GMAT score to get a positive response from Rotman MBA?

Thanks!
SVP
SVP
Send PM
Expert Reply
pchimanshu27 wrote:
Hello guys,

I am a Petroleum Engineer graduated in 2015 with 8.65/10 CGPA. My GMAT is 680 (Q49 V34 IR5 AWA5)

1. June 2015 to July 2019: Installation Manager, Gujarat State Petroleum Corporation Ltd. (INDIA) – Oil & Gas E&P company. Domain – Operations and logistics
2. July 2019 to Sept 2021: Field Technical Professional, Halliburton World wide Ltd. UAE – Oil & Gas service provider. Domain – Operations and Project planning/execution
3. Oct 2021 to Present: Investment Banking Associate, JPMorgan Chase & Co. (INDIA) Domain – Energy Financing (Technical Valuations)

I want to apply for FT-MBA at Rotman School of Management. How likely is it for such profile and GMAT score to get a positive response from Rotman MBA?

Thanks!

👋 Hey pchimanshu27,

Here is a detailed profile evaluation for you!

Your profile offers a compelling blend of academic, professional, and industry diversity:

➡️ Academic Excellence: Graduating with an 8.65/10 CGPA indicates strong academic prowess, particularly in a specialized field like Petroleum Engineering.

➡️ Professional Depth and Breadth: With 8 years of experience, your journey from a state petroleum corporation in India to an international role with Halliburton in the UAE, and subsequently transitioning to a finance role in JPMorgan Chase's Energy Financing sector, showcases adaptability, diverse skill sets, and a broad industry perspective.

➡️ GMAT: Your score of 680 is decent but slightly below the average of top business schools, But your Quant score (Q49) aligns with your engineering background and the work nature in your roles.

➡️ Evaluation: Rotman values diversity, and your cross-industry experience - spanning operations in petroleum to investment banking - is a substantial asset. The transition from a technical role to investment banking, especially in energy financing, creates a coherent narrative of leveraging your technical expertise in the finance domain.

➡️ Recommendation: You have a strong chance of garnering interest from Rotman if you aim for a 700+ GMAT score. To bolster your application, craft essays that highlight your professional transitions, the skills you've gained, and your rationale for pursuing an MBA. Given your varied experience, strong letters of recommendation showcasing your impact will be crucial. Additionally, be prepared to discuss your career goals and how Rotman's MBA program aligns with them.

Keep a list of at least 6-8 schools as well to maximise your chances of bagging an admit.

➡️ Dream - Rotman, HEC Paris, Ivey, McGill
➡️ Competitive - Duke, NYU Stern, Kellogg, USC Marshall
➡️ Safe - UBC, Alberta, Babson

If you need more help, we'd be happy to set up a FREE call and give more pointers on how to improve your profile and the right schools you should target.

👉 Click Here to Set-Up a FREE Call 👈
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 278 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Expert Reply
pchimanshu27 wrote:
Hello guys,

Thanks!

Hello pchimanshu27,

Apologies for the delayed response but we hope this finds you in time still.

Good to see the energy focus in your profile; it will help you stand out. Having said this, your years of experience are on the higher side for Rotman and your GMAT is under the average (for an Indian male); hence, to stand a better chance at Rotman, we would recommend you retake the GMAT; it goes without saying that a set of essays that aptly demonstrate your need for an MBA and a set of logical career goals will also be crucial.

There are a number of Canadian programs that have a strong energy focus; we recommend that you apply to a broader portfolio of schools that sync well with your background.

Should you wish to discuss this in greater detail, please feel free to request a free profile evaluation session.

All the best!
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hello pchimanshu27,

I hope you are doing good. Your profile is quite interesting, with a diverse set of experiences in the oil and gas industry, from operations and logistics to project planning/execution, and now in investment banking with a focus on energy financing. However, it's important to note that MBA admissions are competitive, and several factors are considered beyond your work experience and GMAT score. Your GMAT score of 680 is slightly below the average for Rotman's MBA program; however, it's within the range of accepted scores. While a higher score could improve your chances, other qualifications may compensate for this. Your CGPA of 8.65/10 is strong and should not be a concern.

Speaking about your work experience, your 8 years of experience in the oil and gas industry, including experience in both technical and finance roles, is a strong point. It shows career progression and versatility. Rotman values diversity in work experience, and your transition into investment banking may be viewed positively as it demonstrates adaptability. Clearly state your career goals in your application. Your transition into investment banking from a technical background is unique, and Rotman will want to understand how an MBA aligns with your future goals.

Your application essays and recommendations play a crucial role. They should highlight your leadership potential, teamwork, and contributions to your previous organizations. Explain how an MBA from Rotman specifically aligns with your career aspirations. If you have been involved in extracurricular activities or community service, make sure to highlight them as they demonstrate your leadership and impact beyond the workplace.

While your GMAT score might be on the lower side, your unique career progression and the transition into investment banking could make your profile stand out. Make sure your application presents a compelling narrative that explains why an MBA at Rotman is the logical next step in your career. Ultimately, the admissions decision will depend on how well you convey your strengths and fit with the program's culture and values.

Good luck with your application!

We offer a limited number of complimentary profile evaluations each week. We match you with the students and alums of top B-Schools according to your background and target schools. In this call, the experts will try to dig out your USP for top B-schools and provide you with honest feedback on your profile and chances to your target schools.

Book a free profile evaluation call now!

Neha Hadke
Strategy Manager
Testimonials
MBA and Beyond

pchimanshu27 wrote:
Hello guys,

Thanks!
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619384 [0]
Given Kudos: 81611
Send PM
Re: Rotman Profile Evaluation Thread - Post all Profile Eval Requests Here [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Rotman Profile Evaluation
Introducing New Better Profile Evaluations on GMAT Club!

Considering your application to a B-School? The first step in this significant journey is to evaluate your profile to gauge where you stand among the vast pool of applicants. We're excited to introduce a NEW and IMPROVED consolidated list of tools and platforms available on GMAT Club to assist you in this endeavor.