Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 16:12 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 16:12

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Concentration: Strategy, Economics
GMAT Date: 07-17-2015
GPA: 3.57
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Status:Preparing myself to break the sound( 700 )-barrier!
Affiliations: IFC - Business Edge, Bangladesh Enterprise Institute
Own Kudos [?]: 226 [0]
Given Kudos: 136
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: Schawjibb's GMAT Journey [ In pursuit of GMAT score 700+ ] [#permalink]
PILOT STILL UNFIT!

So................ "targeting 700+" has collapsed upon me! :-(

I appeared in my maiden practice test of GMAT using the GMAT Prep V2. And, scored 490! Whhhoooopppps! I was shocked but not broken. Score breakdown is as follows:

GMAT Score: 490 | Quant: 40 | Verbal: 19

Performance details:
(Section Name) PS: (Correct/Total) 12/18; DS: 13/19 [4 consecutive wrong answers]; SC: 10/16; CR: 4/11 [5 consecutive wrong answers]; RC: 5/14 [3 and 4 consecutive answers]

Learnings from Quant Section Performance:
1. Weakness in INEQUALITY
2. Weakness in DS (really had tough time answering these Qs)
3. Section was completed 3 minutes EARLIER
4. SILLY MISTAKES were frequent
5. Weakness in ABSTRACT PROBLEMS
6. A bit weakness in GEOMETRY
7. DS answer options are found CONFUSING
8. Less confident in PERMUTATION & COMBINATION problems
9. ONLY 1 out of first 5 questions and 3 out of first 10 questions were correct

Learnings from Verbal Section Performance:
1. ABSOLUTE weakness in CR and RC questions
2. RC passage reading experience is HORRIBLE
3. ONLY 5 out of first 10 questions were correct
4. Least confident while answering CR questions
5. RANDOM guesses instead of strategic guess
6. 12 out of last 21 questions were INCORRECT

In conclusion, all I learnt from my maiden attempt to GMAT practice test is I HAVE TO WORK REALLY HARD for achieving my dream score!

[April 22nd, 2011]
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 88 [0]
Given Kudos: 32
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: CBS '14 (A)
GMAT 1: 590 Q47 V25
GMAT 2: 560 Q47 V20
GMAT 3: 600 Q47 V25
GMAT 4: 680 Q49 V34
Send PM
Suggestion: You've listed a LONG list of Quant and Verbal books. Hope you can complete all of them:).
Since I'm two weeks away from my GMAT, I've realized how important correct study plan is. Mine was not that great so I thought of letting you know my opinion as you've just started.

Quant: As soon as you finish MGMAT Quant books +OG, start using GMATClub Quant tests and review them again and again. You won't need anything else in the world to get Q51.

Verbal: Complete OG Verbal with reading ALL the explanations, even if you get the questions right. Review them again and again and again...till you master the book. When you re do the OG questions, don't simple choose correct answers instead go through the question with REAL thought process as you do for any NEW question.

Check this one out.
https://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/21/science/21memory.html

Good luck.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
rg1 wrote:
Suggestion: You've listed a LONG list of Quant and Verbal books. Hope you can complete all of them

Thanks, rg1, for your valuable suggestion! Actually, I am going to appear in GMAT in mid-October, 2011. Though I don't have plenty of time, I hope I can complete reading first 8 by August, 2011 (1 is already done - KAPLAN PREMIER). I am hopeful, I can complete all of them.

rg1 wrote:
Since I'm two weeks away from my GMAT, I've realized how important correct study plan is. Mine was not that great so I thought of letting you know my opinion as you've just started.

I, completely, agree with you regarding STUDY PLAN. I am still working on it before I fully dive in. Everyday I go through it, I find some areas to improve it. I am sure, it will settle by the end of May i.e. giving me full 3 months to follow it.

rg1 wrote:
....Review them again and again and again...

I loved your this concept. I will, surely, look forward to implementing it in my prep.

rg1 wrote:
......instead go through the question with REAL thought process as you do for any NEW question.

I will "stay hungry,' and will "stay foolish."

rg1 wrote:

I have arranged a total of 20 practice CATs which I hope will help me as this article suggests. I will spread the CATs over the period of my GMAT prep, though they will concentrate more in the month before I take GMAT.

In the end, thanks again for coming up with some ideas I didn't consider before.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
THE DIAGNOSIS

After having a shocking-score, 490, I started going through KAPLAN PREMIER 2011 with a hope that in two weeks or three it would give me an overall understanding of GMAT - the strategies, tips, concepts etc.

I took the diagnostic test of KAPLAN just after reading the basic GMAT strategies, and I found my result as:

Total 38 questions: Correct 22, Incorrect 16. (Success Rate 58%)
DS (Section Name): 2/7 (Correct/Total) (SR 29%) [still my biggest weakness]
PS: 7/11 (SR 64%) [made few silly mistakes]
CR: 5/6 (SR 83%) [the result was not representing my concepts; most of the time I just followed my intuition; I took 2-3 minutes to answer each question]
RC: 5/7 (SR 71%) [took 17 minutes to complete 2 passages and questions related to those]
SC: 3/7 (S 43%) [I completely screwed up and got confused with every answer option]

So, more or less, the diagnostic test, represented the performance in my maiden GMAT practice CAT.

One more thing is worth mentioning here - THE ERROR LOG. I was puzzled looking at its structure and its make. However, I hope by next day it would be decoded and well comprehended.

[April 23rd, 2011]
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 97 [0]
Given Kudos: 50
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Keep posting... :)

Feed the warrior... Kill the Coward... Beat the GMAT...
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Keep it coming Schawjibb...
Don't worry for GMAT prep first test scores... That worked exactly the way it is..
This should now push you work harder. GMAT really needs a consistent work everyday.. That's the only way to do it..

Also, CR is my weak point as well.. working to bring it up..
Manager
Manager
Send PM
gmatprep2011 wrote:
Keep posting... :)

Feed the warrior... Kill the Coward... Beat the GMAT...

WoW! Really inspiring! :-)

vikashjha wrote:
Keep it coming Schawjibb...
Don't worry for GMAT prep first test scores... That worked exactly the way it is..
This should now push you work harder. GMAT really needs a consistent work everyday.. That's the only way to do it..

Also, CR is my weak point as well.. working to bring it up..

Yep! I will try my level best to keep a consistency in prepping. Till now, I have kept it. Hope to keep it unto I make it to a renowned and top B-school! :-)

I will do all it takes, inside the periphery of my capacity, to cross the 700-barrier! All of your support is really helping me to move even forward.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
From the night of April 23, 2011, I finally started taking preparation for GMAT. What I have decided to do first is to get the overview of GMAT using 2 books - Kaplan Premier 2011 (primary) and The Princeton Review's Cracking the GMAT (secondary).

Having started reading Kaplan Premier 2011, I found out several weaknesses that were in stealth until I went thoroughly inside them. They are listed below -
  • Comparing positive fractions: Sometimes I become puzzled with these.
  • Permutation, combination, and probability: Perhaps, my biggest weakness in quant basics.
  • Advanced part of inequality.
  • Geometry terminologies: Sometimes, took long-time to be recalled.
  • Data sufficiency: The first-hand experience with DS was just horrible. Oh my!

I also came up with some observations during my study/practice.
  • Not concentrating or analyzing the answer choices; reading only the questions and then diving into solving the problem. (BAD)
  • Sometimes, not reading the simple questions with care, and, as a result, making silly mistakes. (BAD)
  • Making silly mistakes in calculations. (BAD)
  • Reading the tiny questions second time (as, tiny=tricky) was really helpful as they help find out new info. (GOOD)
  • Forgetting some important formulas, (such as, formulas of arithmatic and geometric progression, permutation, combination etc.) which could help solve some problems faster. (BAD)
  • Running out of time. (BAD)
  • Considering both the statements of DS simultaneously. (BAD)

In last few days, I read 220 pages from Kaplan Premier 2011. In this time, I completed 3 important chapters - Quant Section Straegies And Practice, Math Skills Refresher, and Problem Solving. On an average, I studied 4 hours a day (highest on Friday and lowest on Saturday). I was maintaining the ERROR LOG whenever I am practicing exercises. I would share the ERROR LOG and ANALYSIS of the exercises of Kaplan Premier 2011 once I would complete the book by May 12, 2011.

The real outcome from last 6 days was: TO KEEP AND HOLD WHAT YOU HAVE STUDIED, PRACTICE IS A MUST!

[April 24th - 29th, 2011]
Manager
Manager
Send PM
I was completely bogged down by Data Sufficiency question-type. OMG! I was washed away........... The frustration arose from it kept me away from studying. Instead of studying 4 hours a day, I just managed (not being motivated) to study 1 hour a day, at the most.

After a couple of days, I went through the basics of DS once again. AND, REVISION OF DS BASICS REALLY HELPED. I then got back my spirit. I have to win the battle with DS as well as with GMAT. Later on I discovered a really helpful process to crack the DS questions easily (at least, I could improve my correct to wring answer ratio from 1:4 to 3:2 by following this, and maybe this was discovered by many in the prehistoric days!). Here goes the break-down of the process:
  • Read the question stem first (do any simplification, if possible).
  • Reflect for 4/5 seconds.
  • Read the shorter/easier statement and then read the question stem again.
  • Analyze and eliminate answers side-by-side keeping the probable answers alive.
  • Read the other statement and then read the question stem yet again.
  • Analyze and eliminate answers/pick the correct answer.

The time when I didn't study was not actually gone in vein. I downloaded a whole lot of YouTube videos (of course, related to GMAT) that were uploaded by trustworthy channels/uploaders.

Overall, though the week started with a huge load of frustration, the week ended with few turn-around outcomes. Completed the DS chapter of Kaplan Premier 2011.

All I can say until now is "MILES TO GO BEFORE I SLEEP. AND, MILES TO GO BEFORE I SLEEP."

[April 30th - May 6th, 2011]
Manager
Manager
Send PM
After completing the quantitative section, I started verbal. Though I am not that "expert" in quantitative in the "GMAT way", I fear verbal section of GMAT quite more than quantitative. My maiden GMAT CAT score had already justified this: Q40 and V19. Yet, in pursuit of 700+ in GMAT, I knew I have to give a full-load try to challenge this fear.

With this in mind, early morning on May 7th, 2011 I began to walk my way down to win GMAT verbal fear. I was still using Kaplan Premier 2011 as the sole guide. My observations and findings were -
  • Having some troubles in Sentence Correction. But, it wasn't supposed to be and IT SHOULDN'T BE. SC part tests only around a dozen of common concepts. Need to go thoroughly a grammar book (skim reading). Doing Grammar is a good option. (IMPARTIAL)
  • Answering each SC question in around 90 seconds. Practice more to make it below 60. (GOOD)
  • Timing became a very challenging issue as long as the Critical Reasoning was concerned. 80% answers were correct but average time per question was 2.5 minutes! (BAD)
  • Eliminating was prevailing over predicting in CR. As eliminating required reading all the options, more time was being consumed. (BAD)
  • Reading from answer option E to A for CR: need to see if by any chance it reduces the time used. (FOLLOW UP)
  • Reading all CR answer explanations would be a good help. (IMPARTIAL)
  • Whenever speeding up the pace, score/number of correct answers deteriorated. (FOLLOW UP)

Till now, I am happy that the problems are being found out. However, FINDING OUT PROBLEMS IS NOT THE END; IT'S JUST A MEANS TO END.

[May 7th - 8th, 2011]
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Dear kingme and Mahtab, 1 kudo to you for inspiring me. More news to come by this weekend. :-)

+1 and +1
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Concentration: Strategy, Economics
GMAT Date: 07-17-2015
GPA: 3.57
Send PM
Dhaka bhaifriends --- Do you know if our one and only testing center has improved at all? Half the building seemed to be under construction last year.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
kingme wrote:
Schawjibb wrote:
Dear kingme and Mahtab, 1 kudo to you for inspiring me. More news to come by this weekend. :-)

+1 and +1

Hi Schawjibb,

How're you doing these days? I hope great. I recently appeared in GMAT and scored 690. I'm pondering a retake, though not totally sure. Keep up your good work.

TC

-Rupok

Hi Rupok Bhai,

I had been long lost from my own thread for last 40 days. I am sorry as I could respond to your message earlier.

A big congo! Really happy that you have cut a decent + respectable score in GMAT.

So you are up to your application package now, hmmm? :-)

I am doing fine. My prep is going so-so. You might like to have a glimpse on the present condition of my prep here <https://gmatclub.com/forum/stuck-at-640-650-range-need-to-break-700-any-strategies-131041.html#p1076340>

On retaking, I think you are already in a surefire zone for a top-20 b-school. However, if you want some $$$ from the schools, you might give another try to beat the GMAT.

Thanks again!

Originally posted by Schawjibb on 20 Apr 2012, 13:31.
Last edited by Schawjibb on 20 Apr 2012, 13:43, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
FatRiverPuff wrote:
Dhaka bhaifriends --- Do you know if our one and only testing center has improved at all? Half the building seemed to be under construction last year.

Just being curious: are you from Bangladesh, FatRiverPuff? Your INSEAD part didn't miss my attention! :-)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [0]
Given Kudos: 66
Concentration: Finance, Accounting
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V32
GPA: 3.86
WE:Analyst (Venture Capital)
Send PM
Hello bhaiyas !!! Nice to see that actually there were some active members' from BD too :P
I am currently preparing for GMAT. I wonder how did Schawjibb vaiya do in his exam! Is there any tips for me?? Thanks :)
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2 
Moderator:
Founder
37311 posts