Last visit was: 03 May 2024, 10:21 It is currently 03 May 2024, 10:21

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4666 [1]
Given Kudos: 634
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22127 [1]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11673 [1]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: Scored 730 but confused about the scoring mechanism [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi TPap9,

First off, a 730/Q49 is an outstanding Score, so you can comfortably apply to any Business Schools that interest you.

The actual Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores that you score on a CAT are typically NOT integers (but those numbers are 'rounded off' for the sake of appearance). Thus, while your 'rounded Scaled Scores' would imply that you outperformed your friend, the ACTUAL Scaled Scores you both earned could have occurred in such a way that your friend's overall performance was just a little bit better than yours. For example:

You: Q48.5, V40.5, Overall 730
Your friend: Q49.4, V40.4, Overall 740

In this situation, notice that your friend's overall 'total' performance is higher than yours (thus, the Score out of 800 is higher).

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Schools: IIMA
Send PM
Hello TPap9

Congratulations on your 730!

GMAT has a very interesting algorithm. Here is a video that explains the algorithm ( slightly old video - the number of questions we have on verbal and quant has changed now) - but the algorithm is the same.

rgds,
Shree
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 1307 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
There are differences within the points. A high Q50 V38, for example, may give a give a different score than a low Q50 V38. Gratz on the 730.
Current Student
Send PM
CrackVerbalShree wrote:
Hello TPap9

Congratulations on your 730!

GMAT has a very interesting algorithm. Here is a video that explains the algorithm ( slightly old video - the number of questions we have on verbal and quant has changed now) - but the algorithm is the same.

rgds,
Shree

Thank you, Shree. The video was very helpful! :)
Current Student
Send PM
Scored 730 but confused about the scoring mechanism [#permalink]
AjiteshArun wrote:
TPap9 wrote:
Hi Folks,

I am beyond happy to have scored a 730 on my GMAT today. My sectional scores were: QA 49 and VA 41. I am beyond grateful to this forum and will definitely share a detailed debrief in a while, however, I am confused about how GMAT arrives at this score.
My friend recently took the exam and scored 740, and his sectional scores were lower than mine: QA 49 and VA 40.

Looking for advice from all you experts here. Do other factors affect the score? Is my score accurate, and if not, is there a way to seek redressal?

Thank you so much in advance! :)

Hi TPap9,

1. The GMAT generates a score at the end of both the quantitative and verbal sections. These scores are on a continuous scale.
2. These scores are mapped onto an internal scale. Let's call these scores "internal scores".
3. These internal scores are combined to arrive at a total (internal) score.
4. All these scores are then converted to the scaled scores that are exposed to the test taker (6 to 51 for quant and verbal, and 200-800 for the total).

The internal scales are slightly more accurate than the ones exposed to you. This means that your friend may have a "high Q49" and you may have a "low Q49". Maybe a "high V40" for him as well.

Given that you have an excellent score, I wouldn't worry too much about this if I were you. All the best for the applications process. :)

Thank you for putting it so succinctly! This is really helpful. :)
GMAT Club Bot
Scored 730 but confused about the scoring mechanism [#permalink]