Last visit was: 23 Jun 2024, 23:50 It is currently 23 Jun 2024, 23:50
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 555-605 Level,    Business,    Short Passage,                      
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [1]
Given Kudos: 25
GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V27 (Online)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [0]
Given Kudos: 2309
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 41
Concentration: Operations, General Management
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [0]
Given Kudos: 2309
Send PM
Re: Seventeenth-century philosopher John Locke stated that as much as 99 [#permalink]
Dhruvnneo wrote:
RC00141-05 Which of the following best describes the organization of the passage?

(A) The author explores the origins of a theory and explains why the theory never gained widespread acceptance.

(B) The author introduces the premise of a theory, evaluates the premise by relating it to objective reality, then proposes a modification of the theory.

(C) After quoting a well-known authority, the author describes the evolution of a theory, then traces its modern form back to the original quotation.

(D) After citing a precursor of a theory, the author outlines and refutes the theory, then links its flaw to the precursor.

(E) After tracing the roots of a theory, the author attempts to undermine the theory by discrediting its originator.

why is option D correct and not E.
as per para2 author seems to be undermining the theory .

"discrediting" is the word which is why E is wrong.

D is correct, because in the last para author says "The labor theory of value systematically disregards the productive contribution of capital goods—a failing for which Locke must bear part of the blame." Here, the flaw is linked to the precursor. The originator is not getting discredited.

Hope this helps!
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 64315 [3]
Given Kudos: 1810
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: Seventeenth-century philosopher John Locke stated that as much as 99 [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Expert Reply

Questions 3 & 6

gvvsnraju@12 wrote:
Hi GMATNinja Gnpth SajjadAhmad

Why D is the OA for Q.No:6, RC00141-07.

Per my understanding:
Followers of Locke find that LTOV is acceptable. Formulators of LTOV held that entire credit must go to workmen and employers should not view it in profit perspective.

My doubt is, How we can infer that the formulators of LTOV are familiar with Locke's theory.

Take a look at this post for an explanation of (D) for question #6, and let me know whether that clears it up!

RaunaqSinghPunn wrote:
RC00141-04 Which of the following statements, if true, would most effectively counter the author's criticism of Locke at the end of the passage?

(A) Locke was unfamiliar with the labor theory of value as it was formulated by his intellectual heirs.

(B) In Locke's day, there was no possibility of ordinary workers becoming shareholders or pension beneficiaries.

(C) During Locke's lifetime, capital goods did not make a significant productive contribution to the economy.

(D) The precise statistical calculation of the productive contributions of labor and capital goods is not possible without computers.

(E) The terms “capital goods” and “consumer goods” were coined by modern economists and do not appear in Locke's writings.

daagh GMATNinja
Can anybody please explain why "E" is incorrect?
If those terms/bifurcation did not exist at that time when theory was created, how can those be considered. Thereby, countering the author's criticism.

Thanks in advance!

(E) specifies that the terms did not appear in Locke's writings, which is different than saying that the things that those terms refer to did not exist at that time. The fact that the terms did not exist in their current form is not an effective counter to author's argument.

Here's an example: a person went on an unprovoked murderous rampage and then stole a sandwich in ancient times, before the words "murder" and "sandwich" were coined. We can still criticize this person's actions as immoral, even if the terms for those actions did not yet exist.

Similarly, the author can still hold Locke accountable for disregarding the contribution of "capital goods," even if the term did not yet exist at the time of Locke's writings.

I hope that helps!
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1036 [0]
Given Kudos: 421
GMAT 1: 600 Q46 V27
Send PM
Quote:
(E) specifies that the terms did not appear in Locke's writings, which is different than saying that the things that those terms refer to did not exist at that time. The fact that the terms did not exist in their current form is not an effective counter to author's argument.

Here's an example: a person went on an unprovoked murderous rampage and then stole a sandwich in ancient times, before the words "murder" and "sandwich" were coined. We can still criticize this person's actions as immoral, even if the terms for those actions did not yet exist.

Similarly, the author can still hold Locke accountable for disregarding the contribution of "capital goods," even if the term did not yet exist at the time of Locke's writings.

I hope that helps!

I was going to tag you ( GMATNinja ) for the same question but then found this explanation. And looks like your sandwich made things clear to me and made me hungry too.

Thank you!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Send PM
Hi GMATNinja,
Can you please explain why C is the answer to question 1 ? The option states that the author's main point is to question the 'validity' of the LTOV. But I don't think the author is doing so. I believe he points out a limitation or a flaw in the theory, and on the basis of this reasoning I marked B. Do you agree ?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 37
Send PM
GMATNinja, I hope you can help me with my analysis.

For Qs 1. Why is option E wrong? /

From the passage, I felt that the workers received more than their value. They got 2/3rd of the compensation in proportion to the value added to total output and also the pension/shareholder advances etc.

When I was analyzing the answer later, the reason I came up with to prove answer E wrong was that maybe some workers owned capital as shareholders. Also even if the workers were paid more, was it because companies were following 'labour theory of value'? (which overestimates value of labour) Possibly not

Is this line of reasoning correct?
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 64315 [0]

Send PM
Expert Reply
Bhavyam wrote:
GMATNinja, I hope you can help me with my analysis.

For Qs 1. Why is option E wrong? /

From the passage, I felt that the workers received more than their value. They got 2/3rd of the compensation in proportion to the value added to total output and also the pension/shareholder advances etc.

When I was analyzing the answer later, the reason I came up with to prove answer E wrong was that maybe some workers owned capital as shareholders. Also even if the workers were paid more, was it because companies were following 'labour theory of value'? (which overestimates value of labour) Possibly not

Is this line of reasoning correct?

To refresh, here's what we were asked:

Quote:
1. According to the author of the passage, which of the following is true of the distribution of the income derived from the total output of consumer goods in a modern economy?

And here's the exact wording of Choice (E):

Quote:
(E) Workers receive a share of this income that is greater than the value of their labor because the labor theory of value overestimates their contribution to total output.

For us to keep (E), both parts of the choice must be true:

I. Workers receive a share of the distribution of the income derived from total output that is greater than the value of their labor in creating that output.

II. Workers receive this disproportionately greater share of income because the labor theory of value overestimates their contribution to total output.

In paragraph 2, the author tells us that "one-third of the total output of consumer goods is attributable to the use of capital goods." This suggests that the other 2/3 of total output is attributable to labor.

Then the author states that "approximately 2/3 of the income derived from this total output is paid out to workers as wages and salaries," and adds that part of the remaining 1/3 is "received by workers who are shareholders, pension beneficiaries, and the like."

As you've pointed out, this implies that workers do, in fact, receive a share of this income that's greater than the value of their labor. So part I of choice (E) seems to hold up.

Unfortunately, part II of choice (E) is not reflected by the passage at all. We're told flat-out that the reason some workers receive additional share is because they might own shares in their companies or be entitled to pension benefits. They are NOT receiving additional share because the labor theory of value overestimates their contribution.

The author never states or suggests that these forms of additional share are provided because the workers' contributions are overestimated, and never attributes shareholdings, pension benefits, and the like to any kind of belief in the labor theory of value.

I hope this helps clarify why and how to eliminate (E)!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 85 [0]
Given Kudos: 147
Send PM
GMATNinja wrote:
You're right to recall where the passage states that owners pay part of their share to employee shareholders and pension beneficiaries.

However, choice (D) doesn't match this statement. Instead, choice (D) states:

Owners of capital goods are not fully compensated for their investment because they pay out most of their share of this income to workers as wages and benefits.

What's that? According to the passage, do owners pay out most of their share in the form of wages and benefits? Nope. This differs greatly from what's written in the passage, mixing up how the income is distributed.

That's why (D) is not supported by the passage, and that's why we eliminate it.

I hope this is helpful!

Dear GMATNinja
do you mean the passage states :
Quote:
Approximately two-thirds of the income derived from this total output is paid out to workers as wages and salaries,
, rather than share?

please help
GMAT Club Verbal Expert

Send PM
Expert Reply
zoezhuyan wrote:
GMATNinja wrote:
You're right to recall where the passage states that owners pay part of their share to employee shareholders and pension beneficiaries.

Owners of capital goods are not fully compensated for their investment because they pay out most of their share of this income to workers as wages and benefits.

What's that? According to the passage, do owners pay out most of their share in the form of wages and benefits? Nope. This differs greatly from what's written in the passage, mixing up how the income is distributed.

I hope this is helpful!

Dear GMATNinja
Quote:
Approximately two-thirds of the income derived from this total output is paid out to workers as wages and salaries,
, rather than share?

please help

The passage discusses the total income resulting from the output of consumer goods, and how this total income is shared between the owners of capital goods and workers.

One-third of the total output of consumer goods is attributable to capital goods, so the "share" owners of capital goods is one-third of the total income.

So, while "most" (two-thirds) of the total income is paid out to workers, we do not know that "most" of the remaining one-third -- the share of the capital goods owners -- is paid to workers. We only know that "part of this remaining third is received by workers."

I hope that clears it up!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 85 [0]
Given Kudos: 147
Send PM
GMATNinja wrote:
zoezhuyan wrote:
GMATNinja wrote:

I hope this is helpful!

Dear GMATNinja
Quote:
, rather than share?

please help

The passage discusses the total income resulting from the output of consumer goods, and how this total income is shared between the owners of capital goods and workers.

One-third of the total output of consumer goods is attributable to capital goods, so the "share" owners of capital goods is one-third of the total income.

So, while "most" (two-thirds) of the total income is paid out to workers, we do not know that "most" of the remaining one-third -- the share of the capital goods owners -- is paid to workers. We only know that "part of this remaining third is received by workers."

hi GMATNinja, I think my problem is my interpretation, but I am still not sure where is incorrect.
in order to address my interpretation, I would like to plug number.

say, if the total income is 60,
workers as salary = 40
capital goods owner = 20,
part of the remaining third is received by workers who are shareholders, and like = say 10,

then workers = 40 + 10 =50, most of total income(. of course , more than owner's share. I am not sure whether it is correct to say most of owner's share.

am I correct now?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 104
Concentration: Nonprofit, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V39
Send PM
All correct in 9m34s. Felt hard.Thanks for posting.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert

Send PM
Expert Reply
zoezhuyan wrote:
GMATNinja wrote:

I hope this is helpful!
Dear GMATNinja
Quote:
, rather than share?

please help

zoezhuyan wrote:
hi GMATNinja, I think my problem is my interpretation, but I am still not sure where is incorrect.
in order to address my interpretation, I would like to plug number.

say, if the total income is 60,
workers as salary = 40
capital goods owner = 20,
part of the remaining third is received by workers who are shareholders, and like = say 10,

then workers = 40 + 10 =50, most of total income(. of course , more than owner's share. I am not sure whether it is correct to say most of owner's share.

am I correct now?

In your example, the owner's share is $20. Notice that this is different than the total income -- we are only concerned about what happens to this exact $20, NOT the rest that has already been paid out to workers.

For (D) to be correct, MOST of that $20 -- so, more than $10 -- would need to be paid out to workers.

The passage tells us that "part" of that $20 is received by workers as shareholders/pension beneficiaries. Sticking with your example, it is possible that the owner gives out $10 of his/her $20 to these workers. Clearly, the owner hasn't given away MOST of his/her share -- he's just given away half of his/her share.

In the bigger picture, it is not worth getting bogged down in a question like this -- if you're struggling to understand the question in a timely manner, the best thing to do is to save time by moving on to the next question. :)

I hope that helps!
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 134
Send PM
Can someone explain why (D) isn't the answer for question 1. And (E) for question 6. Thank you!
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Can someone help me understand how the formulators were familiar with Locke's views on the relationship between labor and the value of products making option D correct?

RC00141-07 The author of the passage implies which of the following regarding the formulators of the labor theory of value?

(A) They came from a working-class background.

(B) Their views were too radical to have popular appeal.

(C) At least one of them was a close contemporary of Locke.

(D) They were familiar with Locke's views on the relationship between labor and the value of products.

(E) They underestimated the importance of consumer goods in a modern economy.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 64315 [2]

Send PM
Kudos