Last visit was: 07 May 2024, 10:10 It is currently 07 May 2024, 10:10

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32333 [1]
Given Kudos: 301
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 4593 [1]
Given Kudos: 128
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11674 [1]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: Shaky Math Background, seeking Advice on Quant Section [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi variableninja,

Before I can offer you the specific advice that you’re looking for, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

Studies:
1) How long have you studied?
2) Have you used any other study materials besides the books you've mentioned?
3) How have you scored on each of your CATs (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for each)?

Goals:
4) What is your goal score?
5) When are you planning to take the GMAT?
6) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
7) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Akela,

You are right about the practicing, I need to get comfortable with the areas that cause me the most grief. Thank you for these guides, I have taken a quick scan and they appear to be immensely helpful to my cause. I will certainly be going over them with my math tutor!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi EMPOWERgmatRichC,

Thank you for answering my reply, I have come across your posts on this forum and it's relieving to have an expert chime in.
Below are the answers to your questions:

Studies:
1) I started in a really rough shape, I couldn't do any math without a calculator - no divisibility concepts, square roots, you name it- it was all foreign to me. From September - January I completed a community college course that helped me get a solid foundation in the technical approach (9 hours per week).
I now spend 9-10 hours per week just on Quant with a math tutor, and I should definitely be adding in more time. We could say that my number one priority is improving my Quant score.

2) I have only covered the Manhattan Prep Foundations of Math, a 4 hour pre-recorded workshop that they offer for the foundation, a diagnostic test for my basic math knowledge (there's room for a lot of improvement), and I just started on their FDP guide.

I have purchased, but not used, the following: GMAT 2018 Princeton Review, Kaplan Foundations of Math, and the 2018 GMAT OG set, Manhattan Review Complete Set, and a rather dated ARCO GMAT/GRE book, I came across a post on one of the forums that it teaches the basics. Plenty of sets, but not up to speed on the quant to fully take advantage of them.

3) My first and only CAT was taken in October.
My scores were atrociously bad: 330 (quant 5th percentile, verbal 17th percentile, IR was 1). I ran out of time in the verbal section, and attempted to guess in most cases as I couldn't deal with the time pressure.

Goals:
4) My goal score is 650-700.

5) To be totally honest, I am unsure as to when I should take it. Would it be in my best interest to book an appointment when I feel that I am up to speed on both my quant and verbal (I am thinking of October, 9 months from now). Or, give myself a shorter time period to study (by June, 5 months from now) as furiously as I can and give it a shot?

6) I know that by the time I get the GMAT score back, or my ideal score back, I would be delayed in terms of the application process. I would be deferred by a year - and that's fine. I am prepared to fight for a good score, and if that means failing to succeeding, I am very cool with it.

7) IE, Cambridge Judge, Rotman at the University of Toronto, Ivey at UWO, and McGill as well - these are the schools that attracted my attention.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 4593 [0]
Given Kudos: 128
Send PM
Shaky Math Background, seeking Advice on Quant Section [#permalink]
Hi variableninja,

Stick to your plan - consistency is the key in getting high score. I'd recommend preparing for verbal simultaneously with quant. You don't have to spend hours on verbal, just do it little by little consistently.

You can book an appointment in order to be more disciplined. For example, book your test for the end of summer, covering manhattan guides and CATs by the end of spring and taking gmatclub tests during the summer.

Here are some nice stories to read:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/best-gmat-st ... 98512.html

This forum has all the answers, just keep moving on until you cover all of the topics.

You'll get the score you want :)

Happy studying!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11674 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi variableninja,

Since you're not facing any impending application deadlines, you have plenty of time to hone your general Quant skills before you focus more on the GMAT specifically. Based on everything that you have described, you'll have to make significant improvements to how you handle BOTH the Quant and Verbal sections - but you appear to have that time (and the proper perspective on the overall process) - which is good.

I suggest that you continue studying as you choose for the next month, then take a new FULL-LENGTH CAT (with the Essay and IR sections) to see how comfortable you are facing the entire Exam. Once you have that Score, you should post back and we discuss how best to proceed.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
GMAT Club Bot