Last visit was: 05 May 2024, 19:31 It is currently 05 May 2024, 19:31

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 62 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Healthcare
GMAT 1: 700 Q44 V40
GMAT 2: 710 Q44 V42
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11674 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Schools: Yale '19 (M)
Send PM
Should I re-take, and if so how should I prepare differently? [#permalink]
It sounds like you have this nagging feeling that you did not perform your best. Re-taking wouldn't be that bad an option here, especially with the low IR and quant scores.

Taking the test 4 weeks from now will definitely interfere with your HBS app.

Pay 50 bucks to re-schedule the test to 16 days later (instead of 1 month later) and re-take. That way your HBS app deadline wont coincide with a GMAT attempt.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Should I re-take, and if so how should I prepare differently? [#permalink]
Thanks for all of the feedback so far, everyone.

I absolutely know that I can do much better on IR, but the remainder of the exam? I really don't know. 740 was (just slightly) higher than any of my practice test scores, and while I do feel like I can continue to improve, I can appreciate that 740 is a very good score that is not easily replicated (much less exceeded) regardless of the level of preparation and ability of the individual test-taker. I would certainly like to think that I can get up to a 750 or 760 with a 7-8 IR (and a concomitant Quant boost), but that may all be wishful thinking on my part. (Any suggestions / advice on how to further raise Quant would be greatly appreciated, as I've worked my tail off on that end to date).

My concern here is basically this: I've expended an incredible amount of time and effort on this entire process, and my natural inclination is to not rest on my laurels now but to instead keep charging ahead and see where that takes me. Frankly, I have no idea how this entire process will ultimately play out, but the last thing I want is to get rejection letters in the mail in mid-December instead of acceptance letters when the latter reasonably could have be obtained had I just put in a bit more prep time and achieved even a marginal score increase.

Re: concerns of test prep and applications, I certainly can appreciate the concerns being voiced, but isn't that just unavoidable if I re-take the exam? I can certainly re-schedule my next GMAT until after the HBS deadline, but if I do that then I'm taking the exam days before the Stanford, Haas, and Kellogg Round 1 deadlines. I understand that doing all of this is going to be a massive time sink and require a tremendous amount of (additional) effort, but I just get the feeling that it will be that way with several of the applications, provided that I re-take. In general, I just see the only way of avoiding this prep v. applications conflict is if I just do not re-take the exam and instead begin working on the applications immediately. Am I just looking at this the wrong way?

And don't get me wrong, I understand that HBS (and most schools, frankly) is likely an extreme longshot, so perhaps it is foolish of me to even think in these terms of trying to further one specific application that is, in any event, unlikely to end in an acceptance letter. Even so, I hate to mail it in, figuratively speaking, when I could (at least in theory) submit a stronger application (and yes, I know that mindset is at least me being a bit stubborn, perhaps even to my own detriment). Again, I don't know how this ends for me, but I at least want it to end, for better or worse, with me at least having the peace of mind in knowing that I gave this process all that I possibly could have given it.

Also, random question on this front, can I submit my HBS application prior to the September 9th deadline with my current 740 score, and then after the Round 1 deadline supplement my application with an improved GMAT score from, say, an exam taken in mid-September? I would assume the answer to that would be no, but I don't know off-hand and I can't find anything definitive.

Any further thoughts/comments would be greatly appreciated.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1371 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM
Re: Should I re-take, and if so how should I prepare differently? [#permalink]
Expert Reply
outsidethesidelines wrote:
Took the GMAT last week on my first attempt and scored a 740 (47Q, 44V). Generally very happy with the score, but do have another attempt scheduled for later this month. With extra effort and prep, I do think I can do slightly better, and I guess even if I don't I can always cancel my score under the new policy and not have to worry about it.

FWIW, I plan on applying at most of the top schools (HBS, Stanford, Haas, etc.), so I know admissions will be cut-throat. Figure even a slight boost can do me at least some good.

Only complaint from my first attempt is that, for whatever, I bombed the IR section. I scored an 8 each time on my three previous GMAT Prep practice exams, but ended up with a 3 on the real deal. Is it worth re-taking the entire thing solely to raise that considering how most adcomms don't give it much weight? Haven't gotten my AWA score back yet, but I'm sure that I did well on it given my professional background.

Ideally, I would like to get up to a 750 or 760 and either a 7 or 8 on the IR with my late August re-take. I can also re-take once more in September if need be before most of the R1 admissions deadlines come up (all but HBS and Booth, the latter of which I probably will not apply to).

Also, any general tips for future prep? I've done a ton already of prep already -- all OG questions, all Manhattan books, Magoosh, etc., etc. -- but still want/need to improve my Quant score. Don't really have any specific weak areas on Quant, just miss random problems from a wide variety of subjects, so it's not like I can focus on a couple of problem areas, improve them, and guarantee improvement. Any suggestions for how to prepare over the next four weeks?

Any advice / feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Hi outsidethesidlines,

You got a fantastic score that allows you to compete for top schools. At that level there are many additional factors (such as GPA) on which admissions are weighing out candidates. The IR score is not as important, so I would therefore say a retake is not essentially. You might be better off at this point focusing on your essays, references, and framing your professional experience in the right way.

Good luck throughout the process!
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 62 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Healthcare
GMAT 1: 700 Q44 V40
GMAT 2: 710 Q44 V42
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
outsidethesidelines wrote:
Also, random question on this front, can I submit my HBS application prior to the September 9th deadline with my current 740 score, and then after the Round 1 deadline supplement my application with an improved GMAT score from, say, an exam taken in mid-September? I would assume the answer to that would be no, but I don't know off-hand and I can't find anything definitive.

I asked this question recently and CriticalSquare responded:

CriticalSquare wrote:
You COULD potentially provide a school with a revised score after the deadline but there is no guarantee they will accept it. Every school has a stated policy that they won't, but eh, we all know how those go. Can you imagine what would happen if they said they did? That said, they usually don't and it's difficult to tell if they will or won't. It isn't specific to a school and it varies by client. We've had clients do it successfully where other clients have failed to get a new score considered at the very same school. Depends on the day, the position of the stars, who knows. It isn't a safe bet.
GMAT Club Bot