Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 07:47 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 07:47

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: General
Schools:Columbia
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 267 [0]
Given Kudos: 134
Concentration: Healthcare, International Business
GMAT 1: 710 Q42 V45
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.3
WE:Research (Consulting)
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 433 [0]
Given Kudos: 78
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GMAT 1: 650 Q44 V37
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V40
GMAT 3: 750 Q51 V40
GPA: 3.5
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Re: Should i retake GMAT for the 4th Time ?? [#permalink]
openbox1 wrote:
I would only take the GMAT again, if your practice CATs before the test date show a significant improved score.

I agree! Attempt the GMAT only if you're confident of achieving your target score :) GMAT requires three months of systematic preparation. I'm not saying you have to slog it out. It's more about smart work than hard work. More often than not, people who form a study plan and stick to it tend to achieve their target scores as opposed to people who go around studying in a haphazard manner. So if you are ready to put the effort, I would encourage you to take the test again.

Otherwise there's no value in writing the exam again.

Also, if the improvement in your score is significant (say from high 500s to low 700s) then the 4th retake is justified and it will not raise any red flags. Most colleges consider the highest score and low scores on previous attempts does not impact the chance of getting accepted very much.

All the best!

Regards,
Entwistle
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 267 [0]
Given Kudos: 134
Concentration: Healthcare, International Business
GMAT 1: 710 Q42 V45
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.3
WE:Research (Consulting)
Send PM
Entwhistle, your score jump is phenomenal. If you see my score patterns, I've got 640, 640, 710. I just wrote the test last week and mucked up Math again (M42, V45).

I know I can do better and its just nerves, do you think I should sacrifice my first round apps, and instead go ahead and rewrite to bump up the 710? This will require a concerted effort on Quant with a relative who will help me out, so I have a distinct strategy in mind. Maintaining a V45 will be difficult, and I have to realistically be prepared for a potential 2 point drop in V, but my Math will have to compensate. Learning from your experience would be excellent.

Also, I wanted to share Wharton's perspective on this topic. I posted my situation on their website yesterday and got this response from a moderator today:

Click on this link or read copy-paste below:
https://engage.wharton.upenn.edu/MBA/for ... .aspx#9073

Does Wharton accept my best GMAT score?
Hi

I've written the GMAT thrice. My current progression is 640, 640, 710. My last score (written last week) is highly unbalanced with a 59% percentile in Math and 99% in Verbal. I want to retake a 4th time, but have to be prepared for the worst case scenario that my score may drop if Verbal goes down.

Could someone please advise me on Wharton's policy for GMAT retakers? Does it consider only the highest of the last 3 reported scores, or the last score it gets? Thanks!

A.

Reply Report abuse
Re: Does Wharton accept my best GMAT score?
Wharton considers all GMAT subscores (verbal, quantitative, and AWA) for all test administrations within the last five years. Generally speaking, Wharton AdCom will focus more on the highest subscores achieved across all administrations of the exam. The entire portfolio of scores may be examined, too, however.

For example. someone who took the GMAT three times and focused only on getting a high quantitative subscore on the first, a high verbal subscore on the second, and a high AWA subscore on the third - at the expense of other subscores - would probably not be perceived in as good as light as someone who was able to obtain balanced, high(er) scores across a single administration. While such theoretical individuals would not be compared in a heads-up comparison, AdCom would likely wonder why there was such a discrepancy in subscores in the example I provide, above.

Also, again generally speaking, a pattern of significant progress over time can be a good thing. All else being equal, AdCom would likely give more credence to more recent scores. Note, though, that there is probably a natural limit to how many GMATs one should take. After a certain point, AdCom may begin to wonder if one is improving more as a result of increased familiarity with the test or due to genuine intellectual advancement. Scores obtained within a relatively short period that exhibit large discrepancies may also lead to closer examination of other application materials to see which subscores are more likely to be a true reflection of current ability and which ones - if any - are more like "flukes" (be they good or bad fluke scores).

Without the subscore percentile breakdown of your previous two GMAT administrations, I will be shooting in the dark a bit, here. But I can comfortably say that a 59th percentile math subscore will raise a lot of concern on AdCom's part. And, with two previous GMAT scores of 640, I would guess that, if your scores were previously balanced, it would be unlikely that you exceeded the 75th percentile on both subscores; correct me if I am wrong. Taking the GMAT a 4th time might raise questions about your self-awareness and judgment if it turns out that you cannot significantly improve your quantitative subscore (to a point much closer to the 80th or higher percentile). If you feel that such an achievement will be difficult, there are at least two options:

1) If you are still set on applying to Wharton, consider other ways in which you might be able credibly to demonstrate quantitative aptitude. This is important, as the Wharton MBA program tends to be a particularly more analytical and quantitative program than many of its peer programs.

2) You might also reassess whether Wharton is the best fit for you. If quantitative problems or coursework give you trouble, you might find yourself struggling in class, which would be a disservice to both you and Wharton. A different program might be a better fit. Applying at a later point in time when your quantitative skills have been further developed might also be a superior option.

Some food for thought...

-Victor

WG '11
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37311 posts