Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 06:55 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 06:55

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools: Simon (A)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: Simon 2012 - Calling all Applicants [#permalink]
rwbaut wrote:
navra wrote:
Accepted with 25 K, invited to sw. Has anybody received a full scholarship?

accepted yesterday with 35k scholarship offer, but i will probably decline so others can have an opportunity.

What's you profile? I think I have messed up with the interview, I expected a larger scholarship with my numbers and resume
Intern
Intern
Send PM
i never seen anyone received full coverage from simon
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Sustainability, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT Date: 09-19-2011
WE:Sales (Other)
Send PM
Hey navra. If you currently have 25k scholarship make sure you go to scholarship weekend and do well. I had 20k initially offered, then took the time to go to scholarship weekend. We had case competitions and had to write another essay but a week later I was offered a full tuition fellowship. Well worth the effort if your stats are good.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Send PM
LJ wrote:
cecilpaladin32 wrote:
Good luck to everyone applying to Simon. I was fortunate enough to have some of the Simon professors for a few of my undergraduate classes, and I can say that the faculty is truly wonderful. I was contemplating applying to Simon without any work experience last year (as they do take students with no work experience), but was told by current students who were at the time pursuing the MBA program that it is very hard to land internships without (quality) work experience from Simon. One of these students had an impeccable gpa and was in the 3-2 MBA program.

If anyone is considering attending Simon due to the fact that work experience is not required, I would suggest thinking long and hard about that decision.

As a current student I will second the comment about the Early Leaders with a caveat, if you come in with no work experience expecting to land a traditional MBA internship then you're going about your process the wrong way. While there are a few companies who look specifically for candidates with <2 years of experience, for the most part you're looking at a crop of internships different than what your peers are looking at. For example, we have a number of Early Leaders who have landed into the Analyst program for some of the top IBs because the MBA puts them well above their competition.

Also academics at Simon really is the highlight of the school. The FT ranked us top 10 in Finance, Econ, and Accounting this year and that reputation is reflected in the intelligence and interest the faculty show for the student body.

This was the sole reason I didn't bother trying to apply at Simon. I actually wound up interviewing without taking the GMAT and told my interviewer that I wasn't sure if I was ready to go to an MBA program right away. The Early Leaders option is nice for those with no other alternatives, and with the way the job market is going, is probably not the worst decision in the world. However, for those looking for the "full"/traditional MBA experience, you should probably build a couple of years of work experience first.
Intern
Intern
Schools: Simon (A)
Send PM
Navra,

Here's my profile:
1) Asian American, Male
2) 3 years of Internal Audit work experience at a large governmental organization (one promotion)
3) 730 (40V, 49Q)
4) UC Berkeley, 3.50, Economics major w/ Accounting minor
5) Some volunteer and university clubs activities
6) CPA (in California)
7) Post-MBA goal is career change into Asset/Investment Management

Originally posted by rwbaut on 27 Feb 2012, 02:10.
Last edited by rwbaut on 14 Mar 2012, 12:41, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V37
GPA: 3
WE:Project Management (Computer Software)
Send PM
I am R3 applicant and I was interviewed on Feb 18th. Is it too early to expect a decision from adcom?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
myficklemind wrote:
I am R3 applicant and I was interviewed on Feb 18th. Is it too early to expect a decision from adcom?

It really depends on your profile I gather. I know a person who waited for months, and I know a guy who was interviewed on Friday and received an answer on Tuesday of next week, so it took the AdCom just one business day to decide the matter.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
rwbaut wrote:
Navra,

Here's my profile:
1) Asian American, Male
2) 3 years of Internal Audit work experience at a large governmental organization (one promotion)
3) 730 (40V, 49Q)
4) UC Berkeley, 3.50, Economics major w/ Accounting minor
5) Some volunteer and university clubs activities
6) CPA (in California)
7) Applying to Columbia, Chicago Booth, Wharton, Tuck, Duke, NYU, MIT Sloan, Cornell, Georgetown, Rochester
8) Post-MBA goal is career change into Asset/Investment Management

Are you going to their scholarship weekend? If you are not happy with your current offer, I encourage you to go. I also heard it is likely they will increase your offer if you do so. In my view, showing interest by going can only help.

Since Simon is generally not a feeder school to top asset management firms in Wall Street, I will probably go elsewhere for b-school. Nevertheless, I visited Simon last year for one of their information sessions, so please feel free to PM me or ask me here in this thread if you have any other questions about Simon. Good luck!

Thank you for the details. I would go to the scholarship weekend and would certainly PM you if I have any questions.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V37
GPA: 3
WE:Project Management (Computer Software)
Send PM
navra wrote:
myficklemind wrote:

It really depends on your profile I gather. I know a person who waited for months, and I know a guy who was interviewed on Friday and received an answer on Tuesday of next week, so it took the AdCom just one business day to decide the matter.

I'm in!! Just got the admit :-D :-D
Manager
Manager
Send PM
myficklemind wrote:
navra wrote:
myficklemind wrote:

I'm in!! Just got the admit :-D :-D

u sound quite happy. my congrats
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Hello all,

I've received an interview invite today from Simon. I am yet to schedule the interview. I submitted my app on Jan5th.However, one of my recommenders could not submit the recommendation on time. He submitted it on Jan 17th.On Jan 18th, I,ve received an email from Simon stating that my app was complete and fwded to the adcom for review. Since then it has been a long wait and all of a sudden today I received the interview invite from Simon school.

May I request ou guys to share your interview experiences which could help me in preparing for the interview.

BTW, I have few more interviews scheduled in the month of March. Oxford university scheduled on March 12th. Georgia tech on March 16th. Received interview invites for Boston University & McCombs school of business( Yet to schedule ). Now, Simon is also added to this list.

Regards
Sravan
Manager
Manager
Send PM
sravangmat wrote:
Hello all,

I've received an interview invite today from Simon. I am yet to schedule the interview. I submitted my app on Jan5th.However, one of my recommenders could not submit the recommendation on time. He submitted it on Jan 17th.On Jan 18th, I,ve received an email from Simon stating that my app was complete and fwded to the adcom for review. Since then it has been a long wait and all of a sudden today I received the interview invite from Simon school.

May I request ou guys to share your interview experiences which could help me in preparing for the interview.

BTW, I have few more interviews scheduled in the month of March. Oxford university scheduled on March 12th. Georgia tech on March 16th. Received interview invites for Boston University & McCombs school of business( Yet to schedule ). Now, Simon is also added to this list.

Regards
Sravan

Are you going to visit any school or would you interview with all of them via skype? I'm very excited to hear that you are interviewing with Oxford.

I interviewed with Stefanie Bascom, admissions director, via skype. The interview lasted about 35 minutes. The question I didn't quite expect to hear was how I'm going to finance my studies. For some reason she asked what was the population of the city I live in and the region in which that city is located. There were many follow-up questions. How have you heard about Simon and why Simon. Career goals. Tell me about yourself. If you are coming from unusual profession, I noticed, the starting question would be tell me about yourself, rather than walk me through your resume. There was a question like why should we take you, though formulated in a gentle form. From what I learnt, if you have a strong profile, a bad interview performance, be that poor english communications skills or bad home work, while wouldn't get you dinged, may substantially reduce the amount of financial aid. The school is sometimes very fast to reply after the interview. I didn't encounter any difficult or unusual questions. But if you are going to touch upon such areas as finance or accounting you would rather be better prepared to talk in details.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Dear navra,
thanks for your input.
I am going to have an in-person interview at Delhi for Oxford university. Oxford university will conduct in-person interviews at Oxford UK, New york USA, Sanfransisco USA, Mumbai & Delhi india on some specific dates. All those applicants who couldn't make it to any of these locations can attend the interviews via skype. My application has been shortlisted for the interview and I chose to have an in-person interview. With all other US universities, I will have a skype interview.

I've received an invite from Simon school to attend the MBA/MS panel discussion and information reception held in Mumabi on March 3rd 2012. Although registered myself for it, I couldn't make it due to short notice and some unavoidable circumstances. That could have been a better oppertunity for me to know more about the school.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 2.42
Send PM
The thread is very quiet this year. Are there more people out here who applied and not talking?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Marketing
GMAT 1: 650 Q46 V34
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V40
Send PM
Applying for the final round for International applicants, on March 15th. What could my chances be?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi all,

I had my skype interview with Tanya Harvey today. Interview took about 45 min although the given time slot was only for about 30 min. It was a good and pleasent experience for me . Interviewer is good and nice. Apart from normal questions such as Why MBA? Why now? Why Simon Business school ?, She asked me some specific questions on my profile and some questions based on my resume. She also asked me what are my strengths and my weaknesses and how did I overcome my weakness. All in all I am satisfied with my interview and now waiting for the final outcome.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I'm an applicant for R4 and had my interview last week. Does anyone know how many students they admit for R4? Thanks!
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts