Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 09:39 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 09:39

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 100 [75]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2588 [56]
Given Kudos: 567
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.88
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30801 [26]
Given Kudos: 637
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 519 [8]
Send PM
Re: Since the start of space age, more and more littering has occurred in [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Sentence has modifier issue and verb tense issue
A – more and more littering has occurred in orbits near Earth, often because [Modifier issue – “Since the start of the space age” incorrectly modifies more and more, missing clause structure - eliminate it]
B – orbits near Earth have become more and more littered, often from [Present perfect tense – hold it]
C – orbits near Earth became littered more and more, often resulting from [But this is happening event – Present perfect tense is preferred – eliminate it]
D – there have been more and more littering of orbits near Earth, often because of [Modification issue – eliminate it]
E – there had been littering more and more of orbits near Earth, often with [Modification issue – eliminate it]

Answer: B
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 1763 [5]
Given Kudos: 69
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GPA: 3.98
Send PM
Re: Since the start of space age, more and more littering has occurred in [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
kman wrote:
158. Since the start of the space age, more and more littering has occurred in orbits near Earth, often because the intentional discarding of lens caps, packing material, fuel tanks, and payload covers.
A. more and more littering has occurred in orbits near Earth, often because
B. orbits near Earth have become more and more littered, often from
C. orbits near Earth become littered more and more, often resulting from
D. there have been more and more littering of orbits near Earth, often because of
E. there had been littering more and more of orbits near Earth, often with

Since the start of the space age, more and more littering has occurred in orbits near Earth, often because the intentional discarding of lens caps, packing material, fuel tanks, and payload covers.
Very first thought after looking at the sentence that the presence of 'Since' indicates present perfect tense. Boiled the choices to A, B and D.

Now before reaching at the answer, let's look at the mistakes in other choices.

often because the intentional discarding of lens caps, packing material, fuel tanks, and payload covers. The sentence is missing something after 'because'

IMO, 'Since the start of the space age' must be followed by the most important thing that we want to talk about- orbits near earth.

SV agreement is correct. 'from' indicates the reason of orbits being littered

Present perfect is absent.
Presence of present tense 'become'
IMO, 'resulting' is unnecessary here.

D. there have been more and more littering of orbits near Earth, often because of
'There' must be used for a place.
SV does not agree- 'have been' with 'littering'

'There' must be used for a place.
Past perfect is not required.
'with' represents 'association'; however, we are looking for the reason. Hence,'with' usage is not correct.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 3379 [4]
Given Kudos: 877
Concentration: Marketing, International Business
Schools: HBS '19
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
GPA: 4
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
The sentence begins with "Since the start of space age." This tells us that the problem has occurred at an indefinite time in the past, and may continue into the present and future. This requires us to use the present perfect tense (i.e., has occurred, have occurred, have become, etc. ).

Since we need the past perfect tense here, we can ELIMINATE C and E
C) orbits near Earth became littered more and more, often resulting from
E) there had been littering more and more of orbits near Earth, often with

The agent of a COMMA + VERBing modifier must be the nearest preceding SUBJECT.
In C, resulting seems to refer to orbits -- the nearest preceding subject -- implying that ORBITS are RESULTING from the intentional discarding of lens caps.
This meaning is nonsensical.
Eliminate C.

because + of must be followed by a NOUN or NOUN PHRASE.
because + NO of must be followed by a COMPLETE CLAUSE.
In A, because + NO of is not followed by a complete clause.
Eliminate A.

In D, have been (plural) does not agree with littering (singular).
Eliminate D.

In E, had been littering (past perfect) implies an action completed IN THE PAST, while since the start of the space age implies an action still happening IN THE PRESENT.
Since the two usages contradict each other, eliminate E.

The correct answer is B.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [3]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
anujag24 wrote:
can anyone please explain why choice D is incorrect?

At the very least, there is a subject-verb disagreement issue in D. It should have been: there has been more and more littering of orbits near Earth....
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [2]
Send PM
Bookmarks
A. more and more littering has occurred in orbits near Earth, often because "conj needs to follow a sentence"
B. orbits near Earth have become more and more littered, often from (holding)
C. orbits near Earth become littered more and more, often resulting from (tense wrong)
D. there have been more and more littering of orbits near Earth, often because of (there have been, awkward)
E. there had been littering more and more of orbits near Earth, often with (there had been, awkward, tense wrong)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 122 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
OA is B.

A. "because" will require a clause after it --> get rid of A.
Also "because" here doesn't convey the right meaning. Using "because" means "the intentional discarding of lens caps..." led to littering. In fact, "the intentional discarding of lens caps.." is littering itself.
--> also get rid of D.

"Since the start of the space age" --> verb tense should be present perfect --> get rid of C, E
Also in C, "resulting from" cannot be used as an adverbial phrase. It needs a noun.

B is the answer.

You can see the problem being vivisected in this thread:

https://www.manhattangmat.com/forums/sin ... ring-t1639.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4468 [2]
Given Kudos: 221
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.75
Send PM
Kudos
A- creates run on
B-
C- usage of "since" implies continuity. Hence "have become" is required.
D & E- incorrect usage of "there"
There is used for two reasons:
i) to point to a location
II) to make an assertion

Hope that helps.
-s
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28574 [2]
Given Kudos: 130
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
mbaprep2017 wrote:
Experts, could you please tag the difficulty level of this question.

Dear mbaprep2017,

I'm happy to respond. :-)

This question is arguably on the harder side. Nevertheless, I am extremely skeptical about the chimera of the "700-level question." See:
Is this a 700+ level GMAT question?
Do you best with each question. Be less concerned with the hypothetical levels. That's my advice.
victory47 wrote:
I have studied this problem again and again
what is the difference beteen B and D.

in D, it is possitble that there are more and more littering but the orbit dose not become more and more littered.
so d is different from B.

and so, d is wrong.

this is the 10th time , I study this problem and this time i find out the meaning difference between d and b.

my god, hard one.

takeaway.
becareful of meaning difference between action verb and "there are+noun"

Dear victory47,

I'm happy to respond. :-)

As a general rule, a sentence is more powerful, more direct, and more effective when all the action in the sentence is encapsulated in verb form. This is part of rhetorical construction, which is one of the hardest aspects of language for non-native speakers to appreciate, but the GMAT tests it. Look at (B):
orbits near Earth have become more and more littered, often from
BMA! Direct and powerful, like a full speed train--it just moves. Now look at (D):
there have been more and more littering of orbits near Earth, often because of
This is a lily-livered indirect cringing disaster! These two versions taste different! Part of mastering GMAT SC is you have to become attune to the taste of action. See this blog:
Active Verbs on the GMAT

You can't get that taste by learning rules. The only way to develop this sense is to read. See:
How to Improve Your GMAT Verbal Score

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [1]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
WE:Consulting (Computer Software)
Send PM
Bookmarks
kman wrote:
158. Since the start of the space age, more and more littering has occurred in orbits near Earth, often because the intentional discarding of lens caps, packing material, fuel tanks, and payload covers.

can anyone please explain why choice D is incorrect?

thanks!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 79 [1]
Given Kudos: 82
GMAT 1: 740 Q51 V39
Send PM
Bookmarks
Choice A doesn't convey the right meaning. If I say that littering occurred 'because of' the intentional discarding of those items, that implies that the intentional discarding WASN'T the actual littering. Instead, it means that the intentional discarding set into motion a chain of events that LED to the littering.

For instance:
'The U.S. entered World War II because of the bombing of Pearl Harbor.' -- Correct: the bombing was an event that then LED to the U.S. decision to enter the war, but did not constitute the war itself.

'The U.S. destroyed Hiroshima because of dropping a nuclear bomb.' -- Incorrect: this sentence wrongly implies that the dropping of the bomb LED to some future event in which the U.S. destroyed Hiroshima, rather than that the dropping of the bomb WAS the actual event that destroyed Hiroshima.

In #C there's no NOUN that serves as the focus of the modifier 'resulting from...' (an adjective-type modifier). It's intended to modify the general idea that the orbits have become littered, but there's no NOUN that signifies the littering.

#D has the same problem as #A ('because' is wrong).

ONE MORE IMPORTANT TAKE AWAY: RESULTING FROM

"resulting from" can only be used to describe nouns i.e. adjective modifiers. It can't be used as an adverbial modifier.

If you see comma + 'resulting from', you can eliminate it.

You can have it as an adjective modifier, without a comma - as in the following sentence:
The flooding resulting from the abnormally strong storms had left six inches of standing water in the street.
Note that the boldface is an adjective modifier, modifying 'flooding’. If something results from 'X', then 'X' happens FIRST. if you see comma + 'resulting from', you can eliminate it.

You can have it as an adjective modifier, without a comma - as in the following sentence:
The flooding resulting from the abnormally strong storms had left six inches of standing water in the street.
Note that the boldface is an adjective modifier, modifying 'flooding'.

...but its meaning clashes fundamentally with the usage of comma + __ing.
If something results from 'X', then 'X' happens FIRST.

Source: Ron Purewals Explanation.
Verbal Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8811 [1]
Given Kudos: 171
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.2
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM