Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 13:21 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 13:21

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Project Management Professional (PMP)
Own Kudos [?]: 155 [2]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: Marketing
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [6]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [1]
Given Kudos: 18
Concentration: Technology, Economics
GMAT Date: 05-13-2012
WE:Consulting (Computer Software)
Send PM
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30802 [1]
Given Kudos: 637
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Re: In one of the most surprising decisions in the history of Wardsville [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
ankitbansal85 wrote:
Hi,

In answer D 'Who' refers to the Angry Residents.... Angry residents in the clause is the object.....so should it not be Whom rather than Who?

Regards
Ankit Bansal

Hi Ankit,

The action “required” is done by “hundreds of local residents”. They are the ones “who” did the action of requiring something. Therefore, use of “who” is correct in Choice D.

Now take a look at this sentence:

In the mall, I ran into Joe whom I met after three years.

In this sentence, “who” did the action of meeting? “I” did. But “whom” did I meet? I met Joe.

Notice that the subject of the “who” clause in the original sentence is “hundreds of angry residents”, the performer of the action. In the simple example sentence, “Joe” is the object of the main clause while both the actions are performed by "I". That is why he is referred to by “whom”.

Hope this helps.
Thanks.
Shraddha
Manager
Manager
Status:SLOGGING : My son says,This time Papa u will have to make it : Innocence is BLISS
Own Kudos [?]: 267 [1]
Given Kudos: 30
WE:Sales (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Re: In one of the most surprising decisions in the history of Wardsville [#permalink]
Kudos
Daagh has neatly shared his pointers and Guess we all second him. Will just add my friendly dimes :

Let's draw an analogy :

B : Daagh responded to Thang......... Requesting him to clear the maze

D : Daagh responded to Thang.......... Who requested him to clear the maze

which one would u zone in on ?

Guess D : as it clearly indicates ------ Thang had some problem with the Q ---- Thang requested Daagh to clear the maze -------- And Daagh responded to Thang : The logical flow stays intact

C : Does it at all sound correct ( apart from the fact that +ing modifier Requiring incorrectly modifies the closest noun Residents whereas it should be preceeded by a comma and should be aptly modifying the preceeding clause )
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1831 [1]
Given Kudos: 833
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.35
WE:Consulting (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
fozzzy wrote:
In one of the most surprising decisions in the history of Wardsville, the lumber company in the summer of 1994 responded to hundreds of angry residents requiring that it should pay restitution for selling faulty boards.

A requiring that it should
B requiring it to
C and their requirement to
D who required it to
E who required for it to

What is the referrent for "it"

Grockit

I believe "it" can refer only to the lumber company as the "hundreds of angry residents" is plural

On the hindsight, i think that "required" can only be used because it is and action which preceeded responded so has to be in the past tense.
Hence the option A B C are ruled out, leaving us with D and E and of the two, D is more appropriate.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [2]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
12bhang wrote:
Requiring is the present participle form. So, it should modify the preceding noun i.e residents. So there is no modifier error.

Why must we eliminate B ?

As a poster has noted above, this seems to be rip-off from an older OG question. However, in the process, the creator of this question curiously changed the correct option D. In the original sentence, it was: who demanded that it (this is a subjunctive construction), while in this question option D is: who required it to (this is a non-subjunctive construction).

Now, require is a funny word. It can take both: subjunctive and non-subjunctive format. But here is the funnier thing. Just because require can take both: subjunctive and non-subjunctive, does not mean that both of these would be correct in any given situation. Let’s look at a couple of correct sentences to understand this further:

1. A plural subject requires a plural verb for a correct sentence.
2. Residents required that the lumber company pay restitution for selling faulty boards.

#1 above is non-subjunctive while #2 is subjunctive. Let us now change # 2 to:

3. Residents required the lumber company to pay restitution for selling faulty boards.

If you look at this closely, this sentence is not optimal, because an illogical meaning that can be interpreted from this is that residents wanted to pay restitution for selling faulty boards, and for this, the residents required the lumber company!! (Think about it this way: Residents required money to pay restitution for selling faulty boards; now just substitute money with the lumber company).

So, in short, the correct sentence is #2 (and not #3), because there is an ambiguity in meaning in #3. At least if there is an option that does have the structure mentioned in #2, it would be preferable.

In this case, while option D in the OG question had a choice similar to #2, this question under consideration changes option D.

This, by the way, also underscores a similar problem in option B of the sentence under consideration (residents did not require the lumber company as B suggests; residents required something from the lumber company).

In fact, test takers would be advised to understand this concept well, since this will become increasingly important, given GMAT’s recent thrust on meaning related questions.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts