Last visit was: 04 May 2024, 22:00 It is currently 04 May 2024, 22:00

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 264 [35]
Given Kudos: 84
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 540 Q50 V15
GMAT 2: 640 Q50 V27
GPA: 3.11
WE:Consulting (Computer Software)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 120 [12]
Given Kudos: 64
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 264 [5]
Given Kudos: 84
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 540 Q50 V15
GMAT 2: 640 Q50 V27
GPA: 3.11
WE:Consulting (Computer Software)
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 120 [4]
Given Kudos: 64
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: Some writers have so confounded society with government, as to leave l [#permalink]
Kudos
rahulkashyap wrote:
Can someone give the explanation for q1

Posted from my mobile device

Hi rahulkashyap, asadsurmawala: let's look at question 1. @worjout, sahilchaudhary -- pls correct if i have misunderstood any section. thank you.

1. As evidenced by the arguments posed by the author in each paragraph, the primary purpose of the passage is to:

A. chronicle the development of a particular form of government.
B. advocate a simple form of representative government.
C. contrast society and government.
D. distinguish representative government from constitutional monarchy.
E. criticise all forms of government as an unnecessary burden on people

Summary of the passage as i read through:

Para 1: Society (S) VS Government (G) <-- how they are formed.
Para 2: How society is formed and then "a need" to form a government are explained.
Para 3: How action of members in a society dictate the roles and responsibilities of "Government".
Para 4: Limitations of Government and formation of small grps
Para 5: Diffrent parties -> send members-> Election -> Government

Overall summary: The author starts with S VS G but explains how S helps in forming a government. More concentration is given on R&R of G. And how representation/election is part of forming G.

Now let's look at each option:
A. chronicle the development of a particular form of government.
My Interpretation: Yes, Chronicle @ formation of G is given but functions/responsibilities are also given. So this option is partially correct. Hence INCORRECT OPTION

B. advocate a simple form of representative government.
My Interpretation: Yes, This aligns with my summary. Hence LET"S HOLD ON and look at other options

C. contrast society and government.
My Interpretation: The para doesn't contract between S & G. Yes, author starts with a difference between S & G, but then explains how S helps in forming G --> goes beyond and explains key aspects of G. Hence INCORRECT OPTION

D. distinguish representative government from constitutional monarchy.
My Interpretation: constitutional monarchy (CM) is given only in para 2. All the distinguishing features of CM are not explained. There is no broader comparison throughout the para. Hence INCORRECT OPTION

E. criticise all forms of government as an unnecessary burden on people
My Interpretation: This doesn't align with our summary. Author is not ciritsizing G in each of the paras. Hence INCORRECT OPTION

Well, After going through rest of the choices, B seems to be a clear winner. i hope this helps.

---
Please give Kudos even if you disagree.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2057 [3]
Given Kudos: 174
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GMAT 2: 770 Q51 V42
Send PM
Re: Some writers have so confounded society with government, as to leave l [#permalink]
Kudos
Wow. 4 mins 56 secs later: All wrong! Aristotle comes up with the most esoteric passages.

The main point here was : The simpler the govt the better and the primary objective is "protect property"
This is hidden so well in one of the passages, almost feels like one is reading old English. :-\

Gladi
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Send PM
Gladiator59 wrote:
Wow. 4 mins 56 secs later: All wrong! Aristotle comes up with the most esoteric passages.

The main point here was : The simpler the govt the better and the primary objective is "protect property"
This is hidden so well in one of the passages, almost feels like one is reading old English. :-\

Gladi

it'd be nice if you share your learnings from this passage in a little more depth.

Thank you in advance.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
One the toughest RCs i have ever attempted. All wrong. :D, the explanations are good. But i could not quite understand.­
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 30
Send PM
sahilchaudhary wrote:
Paris75 wrote:
If somone could explain question three it will be nice!

thanks!

Please find the OE below:

3) Predict what the author would think about this argument: Since the author believes that government should be kept as simple as possible, and that its only legitimate function is to protect property, he or she wouldn‘t take kindly to adding another function to government. Looking for an answer choice that reflects this turns up (B), which restates the point: government should stick only to protecting property.

(A): Opposite. Though the idea is dressed up in complicated wording lifted from the passage, it‘s misapplied here: the author would think that it‘s not natural for government to take on this duty.
(B): The correct answer
(C): Out of Scope. There‘s nothing in the passage to suggest that the author believes this correlation exists, and so it can‘t be inferred that the author would believe that this is a valid principle.
(D): Opposite. The author does argue that representatives should decide issues, but also believes that this should happen within a limited government that serves only to protect property.
(E): 'Illiteracy‘ is out of scope.

Hope that helps :)

­Hello, 

I still cant eliminate D. 
can you please share an alternative explanation. 

GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6925 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13982 posts