Last visit was: 03 May 2024, 09:27 It is currently 03 May 2024, 09:27

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Given Kudos: 23
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
GMAT Date: 08-20-2015
GPA: 3.39
WE:General Management (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 65067 [0]
Given Kudos: 431
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Send PM
Economist GMAT Tutor Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Please take time. I ve posted my resume brieflly do i have a chance ? [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi GaneshPrasad,

I'm curious to know more about the following:

1) When are you planning on applying to business school?
2) What is your target score?
3) How long have you been studying for the GMAT?
4) What schools are you interested in specifically?

Normally, I'd suggest that you reach out to an admissions officer at the school(s) you're interested in, but since you haven't taken the GMAT yet, your profile is still somewhat incomplete. I'm also curious to know your practice score breakdown to date, as well as whether or not you took a FULL-LENGTH, timed practice GMAT.

Best,
Rich
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11673 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: Please take time. I ve posted my resume brieflly do i have a chance ? [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi GaneshPrasad,

The Top5 Schools that you're interested in are all highly competitive (they each only accept about 10% of applicants) - as such, you not only have to be qualified, but you also have to "market" yourself correctly. That includes writing great essays, presenting your accomplishments/work experience/etc in the most effective way possible AND (possibly) doing a strong interview. Working with an Admissions Expert would probably be advisable. Until you have an Official GMAT score though, there's no real way to gauge your "chances" at any particular School.

If you have questions about specific 'admissions issues' or about any specific programs, then you can ask the Admissions Experts in their Forum:

ask-admission-consultants-124/

When are you planning to take the GMAT?
When are you planning to apply to Business School?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 65067 [0]
Given Kudos: 431
Send PM
Expert Reply
GaneshPrasad wrote:
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
GaneshPrasad wrote:
I have completed UG in mechanical engineering from India. I plan to do MBA in US without work experience and heres about me:
Education
UG : 84.7 %
12th : 91.6 %
10th : 88.2 %

Achievements and awards
- Won an All-India Painting competition in 2008
- Won more than a dozen painting competitions that were conducted in district and state levels.
- Won business presentation competitions twice in inter-collegiate competitions
- Won aero modeling, automobile design (2 times) in inter-collegiate competitions
- Won special award from my College for gettin placed in all MNC companies (Infosys, Wipro, CTS) that conducted job interviews on day 1 of recruitment drive
(I did get job, but not interested as I am frugally against wasting precious years in robotic jobs)

Part time work experience:

company X:
- 2011 - 2015 (3 and 1/2 years)
- Founded my own small business for brand design and marketing, and interior decor
- Did 20+ events for clients that include educationals institutions , companies, etc
- Did 50 + artifacts for interior decor.
- lead a team of 5 for both marketing and product development.

NGO X:
-2011 - present (5 months)
-Founded my own charity organisation for education (i'm donating my income from the part time work)
-Built a network of students from colleges from all over my city.

I ve not taken a GMAT ... But in my preps, I ve consistently scored above 700.

Do I stand a chance for top 5 MBA schools in USA ?

Thank you so much for taking your time to read my query

What I do not understand is this: why do you say that your work in company X is part time? In my experience, a working founder actually puts upto 18 hrs a day in the initial years. Do you have a single specific role in the company? Many schools do not count "part time work ex" as work ex. A full time job teaches a lot, especially in the first few years and that experience is crucial to get value out of an MBA. Many schools are inching toward a younger class but they still do prefer work-ex.

At the same time, entrepreneurs bring in unique skills and if you can tell your story well, the schools might be impressed. You will need to do some convincing but if you are able to do that, the chances of getting into a good school would be high.

Firstly, thank you so much for taking your time and helping me out. Secondly, : I was the Founder of the small business, and lets say Managing Director 'cause i was incharge of getting clients, marketing the services offered and making negotiations, developing and delivering the products , etc . Also I was the lead designer along with a handful of people. I put this as part time cause I started it in 12th holidays (could work 18+ hours like you said), but later had to manage both this small business as well as college academics (hence fewer hours only butI have had quiet many sleepless busy nights). I have had designed the brand and themes for start ups, and also for events of so many other clients including colleges, companies, etc. Income was generous(bought my own iphone, lap etc) .

In my opinion, I had to face deadlines, delivery quality, negotiations, feedbacks- both constructive and negative, leading the design team, getting work done by them, etc which had much more examples of my leadership than atleast IT professionals and also I managed to score 8.47 CGPA in engineering simultaneously. Now, for the NGO im the Managing Trustee and i have roped in students from more than dozen colleges (more than 50 students in total, all from different colleges), leading them to fundraise and help out underprivileged children for their education.

my query is, Just because I hadnt completed my UG at that time, these dont qualify to be my work experience? or rather can you help me understand what constitutes to be "work experience" for MBA schools?

Again thank you so much, and yes I will for sure seek help from veritas as well.

So you are fresh out of college or perhaps not out of college yet, I assume. Part time work done along with college will probably not be taken very seriously. They usually wonder if you could have spared enough time from your studies to actually be very useful to the company. It does seem like you were very involved but convincing them about it would be an altogether different game. You do not need to work in a corporate to put it down as work-ex. Perhaps a full time year or two with the company will be enough to get them interested. You have to understand that you need to convince them about this - why do you need an MBA? Why now? Actually, you need to articulate this more for yourself than for the adcom. An entrepreneur does not need qualifications to succeed unlike someone interested in, say, general management in an MNC. Hence, "why MBA" and "why now" are the most critical questions for you. If you are convinced that you need to do MBA and that too right now, you can probably take your detailed profile to a consultant and he/she can guide you on what is the best course of action - whether you can apply right away/ whether you should wait for a year or two etc/how to present your credentials etc.

Meanwhile start working on GMAT. Here is something to get you started: https://www.gmatclub.com/forum/veritas-prep-resource-links-no-longer-available-399979.html#/
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Please take time. I ve posted my resume brieflly do i have a chance ? [#permalink]
Quote:
So you are fresh out of college or perhaps not out of college yet, I assume. Part time work done along with college will probably not be taken very seriously. They usually wonder if you could have spared enough time from your studies to actually be very useful to the company. It does seem like you were very involved but convincing them about it would be an altogether different game. You do not need to work in a corporate to put it down as work-ex. Perhaps a full time year or two with the company will be enough to get them interested. You have to understand that you need to convince them about this - why do you need an MBA? Why now? Actually, you need to articulate this more for yourself than for the adcom. An entrepreneur does not need qualifications to succeed unlike someone interested in, say, general management in an MNC. Hence, "why MBA" and "why now" are the most critical questions for you. If you are convinced that you need to do MBA and that too right now, you can probably take your detailed profile to a consultant and he/she can guide you on what is the best course of action - whether you can apply right away/ whether you should wait for a year or two etc/how to present your credentials etc.

Meanwhile start working on GMAT. Here is something to get you started: veritasprep

Alright, and thank you for helping me out Karishma. Much appreciated. :)

Originally posted by GaneshPrasad on 09 Jun 2015, 23:58.
Last edited by GaneshPrasad on 10 Jun 2015, 00:48, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi GaneshPrasad,

The Top5 Schools that you're interested in are all highly competitive (they each only accept about 10% of applicants) - as such, you not only have to be qualified, but you also have to "market" yourself correctly. That includes writing great essays, presenting your accomplishments/work experience/etc in the most effective way possible AND (possibly) doing a strong interview. Working with an Admissions Expert would probably be advisable. Until you have an Official GMAT score though, there's no real way to gauge your "chances" at any particular School.

If you have questions about specific 'admissions issues' or about any specific programs, then you can ask the Admissions Experts in their Forum:

When are you planning to take the GMAT?
When are you planning to apply to Business School?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

Oh, alright. Thank you for your help. :-D
Intern
Intern
Send PM
RichEconomistGMAT wrote:
Hi GaneshPrasad,

I'm curious to know more about the following:

1) When are you planning on applying to business school?
2) What is your target score?
3) How long have you been studying for the GMAT?
4) What schools are you interested in specifically?

Normally, I'd suggest that you reach out to an admissions officer at the school(s) you're interested in, but since you haven't taken the GMAT yet, your profile is still somewhat incomplete. I'm also curious to know your practice score breakdown to date, as well as whether or not you took a FULL-LENGTH, timed practice GMAT.

Best,
Rich

Thank you for asking,
I'm planning to apply in Round 1 this year(2015). And I am only interested in US schools.

Target score is >700.

I've been preparing for gmat for a month and a half now and will take the real gmat on 20th aug. (2 months left)

In my full length mocks (i've taken 4 till now) got
1. 640(q42,v30) gmatprep - before i started preparing.
2. 620(q42,v30) manhattan free test - after a week's study.
3. 690 (q47, v37) in veritas free test - around 2 weeks after manhattan prep test.
4. 710 (q48, v40) in Gmatprep. - a week after veritasprep.

My query: IF i get 700 and above, is my work experience considerable for top 10 schools ?

I have not yet narrowed down to specific schools but I am interested in top 10 schools (atleast).
GMAT Club Bot