It is currently 17 Feb 2018, 19:24

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Stacy Blackman Consulting Blog

new topic post reply Update application status  
Expert Post
Stacy Blackman Representative
Michigan Ross Fall 2018 MBA Application Deadlines [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 May 2017, 10:01
FROM Stacy Blackman Consulting Blog: Michigan Ross Fall 2018 MBA Application Deadlines
The Ross School of Business at University of Michigan has posted the following MBA application deadlines for the 2017-18 admissions season.

Round 1
Application due: October 2, 2017

Decision released: December 15, 2017

Round 2
Application due: January 2, 2018

Decision released: March 15, 2018

Round 3
Application due: March 19, 2018

Decision released: May 11, 2018

All applications are due by 11:59 EST on the day of the deadline in order to be considered within that round. Michigan Ross also encourages international students apply in Round 1 or Round 2 because of visa requirements and to ensure consideration for scholarships.

For more information, please visit the Ross MBA admissions website.

ForumBlogs - GMAT Club’s latest feature blends timely Blog entries with forum discussions. Now GMAT Club Forums incorporate all relevant information from Student, Admissions blogs, Twitter, and other sources in one place. You no longer have to check and follow dozens of blogs, just subscribe to the relevant topics and forums on GMAT club or follow the posters and you will get email notifications when something new is posted. Add your blog to the list! and be featured to over 300,000 unique monthly visitors

Interested in a free 30 minute consultation with the Stacy Blackman Team? Sign up here: http://stacyblackman.com/contact

Stacy Blackman | Stacy Blackman Consulting Inc | http://www.StacyBlackman.com | +1 323.934.3936
MBA blogger, US News and Author, The MBA Application Roadmap

Expert Post
Light on Extracurriculars? Take Action Now [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 May 2017, 11:01
FROM Stacy Blackman Consulting Blog: Light on Extracurriculars? Take Action Now
If you’re applying to business schools in Round 1, the process of pulling your materials together will consume much of your life in the coming months. Of particular focus will be planning how to best position yourself. If you’ve taken on leadership roles in volunteer organizations or have actively engaged with a nonprofit you’re passionate about, you’ll want to be sure you play up that angle in your materials.

But what if you’ve done nothing on that front? No volunteering, no extracurricular involvement—nada. Is your candidacy doomed? No. Admissions committees understand that it’s extremely hard for some people to have meaningful involvement in an organization outside of work.

This is often the case for those whose jobs constantly keep them on the road, or whose typical workday doesn’t even afford them the opportunity for a full night’s sleep. So the good news is that we have certainly seen compelling candidates be accepted to top programs even though they lack post-college extracurriculars.

However, if you weren’t involved in anything outside of class when you were an undergraduate, either, that might be a red flag. The MBA experience is about leveraging all facets of your life—not just what you’ve achieved on the job—to help your classmates learn.

So if you have no volunteer work or extracurricular activities to talk about, brainstorm what other relevant things you could share with fellow students in class. Think along the lines of travel or cultural experiences, or even a family situation. What else are you passionate about besides your job, and how has that passion manifested itself?

While it could look disingenuous to join a bunch of volunteer organizations in the months leading up to Round 1 deadlines, you could always see if your employer has any community-focused committees or sponsors any local events that you could get involved with in the near future.

Admissions committees are looking for well-rounded people. Remember:

Until next time,

The team at Stacy Blackman Consulting

***Do you want to stay on top of the application process with timely tips like these? Please subscribe to our weekly newsletter and you’ll receive our expert advice straight in your mailbox before it appears on the blog, plus special offers, promotions, discounts, invitations to events, and more.

Did you know SBC is on Instagram? Follow @StacyBlackmanConsulting for tips and inspirational quotes that will motivate you during the application process.

ForumBlogs - GMAT Club’s latest feature blends timely Blog entries with forum discussions. Now GMAT Club Forums incorporate all relevant information from Student, Admissions blogs, Twitter, and other sources in one place. You no longer have to check and follow dozens of blogs, just subscribe to the relevant topics and forums on GMAT club or follow the posters and you will get email notifications when something new is posted. Add your blog to the list! and be featured to over 300,000 unique monthly visitors

Interested in a free 30 minute consultation with the Stacy Blackman Team? Sign up here: http://stacyblackman.com/contact

Stacy Blackman | Stacy Blackman Consulting Inc | http://www.StacyBlackman.com | +1 323.934.3936

Expert Post
Cambridge Judge Fall 2018 Application Deadlines [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 May 2017, 12:00
FROM Stacy Blackman Consulting Blog: Cambridge Judge Fall 2018 Application Deadlines
The Judge Business School at the University of Cambridge has announced the following MBA application deadlines for the 2017-18 admissions cycle.

Round 1 Deadline: September 8, 2017

Round  2 Deadline: October 27, 2017

Round 3 Deadline: January 5, 2018

Round 4 Deadline: March 9, 2018

Round 5 Deadline: May 4, 2018

At the moment the Cambridge MBA admissions team has yet to post decision dates for the upcoming application season. We’ll update with more information as it becomes available. Meanwhile, please visit the Judge Business School admissions website for more details.

The application for Fall 2018 entry will open on July 1. Candidates should submit their application by 17:00 GMT on the day of their chosen deadline.

Expert Post
Judge Business School Fall 2018 MBA Essays [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 May 2017, 12:00
FROM Stacy Blackman Consulting Blog: Judge Business School Fall 2018 MBA Essays
The University of Cambridge’s Judge Business School has previewed the following MBA essay questions for the 2017-18 application for admission.

Career Objectives
Please provide a personal statement. It should not exceed 500 words and must include the following:

• What are your short and long term career objectives?
  • What skills/characteristics do you already have that will help you to achieve them?
  • What do you hope to gain from the degree program and how do you feel it will help you achieve the career objectives you have?
Required Essay One
What did you learn from your most spectacular failure? (200 words max.)

Required Essay Two
Describe a situation where you had to work jointly with others to achieve a common goal. What did you learn from the experience? (up to 200 words)

The application for Fall 2018 entry will open on July. Please visit the Judge Business School admissions website for more details.

Expert Post
The Bigger Picture: Beginnings Are Hard [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 May 2017, 04:01
FROM Stacy Blackman Consulting Blog: The Bigger Picture: Beginnings Are Hard
Last week my husband and I took a tennis lesson together. The teacher watched me hit a few balls (with a racket borrowed from him) and then informed me that I needed to completely adjust my form. Tilt the racket up, grip the racket low, pivot back on my left foot, point ahead with my left arm, watch the ball and follow all the way through.

As I awkwardly and mechanically flubbed swing after swing, I decided that this tennis thing wasn’t as fun as I had expected. The clumsy reality of the lesson did not match my vision of the two of us successfully rallying on a beautiful sunny day, working up a light sweat and then breaking for lunch. However, I couldn’t quit mid-lesson, so I reluctantly persevered through the hour. By the end, I had made some progress and we scheduled a second lesson.

This experience reminded me of what many of us know but often find hard to truly understand. Beginnings are hard.

When it comes to tennis, I know that if I practice over and over, I will improve. After enough lessons, I will one day enjoy a recreational game. With tennis, it’s a clear path: Sign up for lessons, hit ball over and over and over and over (or in my case, miss ball) gradually improve and sustain a rally. I doubt that I will need to come up with a new strategy for this endeavor.

And yet even with tennis, in the middle of that lesson, as the teacher corrected my form swing after swing, I thought to myself that I would never get the hang of it.  I just wanted to sit down on the court and have some sort of tantrum, like this, (compliments of the film The Royal Tenenbaums):

Starting a company is a whole different endeavor. The way forward is unclear, and it varies for every business. The challenge is not just doing it; it’s knowing what to do.

In the early days of SBC, my husband gave me a little annex room in his office… I sat there all day and worked in silence, alone and…nothing. Nobody called. Nobody emailed. I was overwhelmed by feelings of self-doubt and self-pity. I remember telling (more like whimpering to) my husband, “I sat there all week, working day in and day out, researching schools, creating materials, trying to get the word out…and nothing happened! Not one single person wanted to talk to me. What am I doing? Will anyone ever call? In the huge Internet world, how will anyone learn about me?”

I’m still not sure what made me keep going, as I experimented with different approaches and hit many dead ends. I suppose it came down to truly believing in the service and I knowing I could help people achieve their goals. So, I persevered despite many lonely days and many stumbles. Ultimately, SBC is here today, 16 years after my very first client because I made it through the beginning. It was ugly and messy and very un-glamorous, but I kept going.

Most people don’t make it through the beginning. 95% of bloggers just abandon their blogs. They stop because the reality does not match the fantasy, and it’s no longer fun. It’s harder than they expected and they are not quite sure how to proceed. Make sure you keep going through the murky, confusing beginning.

Beginnings are hard, but if you can be one of the very few that perseveres, you have a chance at something great.

Are there times that you have struggled at the beginning? Are you launching something now that feels especially challenging? I’d love to hear what types of projects you are taking on and if the beginning has been tough. How have you gotten through?

Expert Post
UCLA Anderson Fall 2018 Application Deadlines [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 May 2017, 10:01
FROM Stacy Blackman Consulting Blog: UCLA Anderson Fall 2018 Application Deadlines
The UCLA Anderson School of Management has posted the following MBA application deadlines for the 2017-18 admissions cycle.

Round 1
Application due: October 6, 2017

Decision released: December 15, 2017

Round 2
Application due: January 5, 2018

Decision released: March 29, 2018

Round 3
Application due: April 12, 2018

Decision released: May 24, 2018

Applicants  must submit their application by 11:59 PM Pacific Time on the day of the deadline in order to be considered for that round. The online application will be available starting August 1, 2017. For more information, check out the Anderson MBA admissions website.

Expert Post
UCLA Anderson Fall 2018 MBA Essay [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 May 2017, 10:01
FROM Stacy Blackman Consulting Blog: UCLA Anderson Fall 2018 MBA Essay
The UCLA  Anderson School of Management has posted the required essay question—unchanged from last season—for the 2017-18 admissions cycle.

First-Time Applicants (Required Essay):
We believe that the best results are achieved when you share success, think fearlessly and drive change. With this in mind, what are your goals at UCLA Anderson and in your short-term and long-term career? (750 words maximum)

Optional Essay:
The following essay is optional. No preference is given in the evaluation process to applicants who submit an optional essay. Please note that we only accept written essays.

Are there any extenuating circumstances in your profile about which the Admissions Committee should be aware? Please use your best judgment. (250 words maximum)

Re-Applicant Essay:
Re-applicants who applied for the MBA program starting in 2016 or 2017 are required to complete the following essay:

Please describe your career progress since you last applied and ways in which you have enhanced your candidacy. Include updates on short-term and long-term career goals, as well as your continued interest in UCLA Anderson. (750 words maximum)

Please note:

Your essays are the primary way for you to share your perspectives and plans with the admissions committee. The best essays are introspective, genuine and succinct in directly answering our questions and responding to our topics.

The online application will be available starting August 1, 2017. For more information about applying, please visit the UCLA Anderson MBA admissions website.

Expert Post
Tepper CMU Fall 2018 Application Deadlines [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 May 2017, 10:00
FROM Stacy Blackman Consulting Blog: Tepper CMU Fall 2018 Application Deadlines

Carnegie Mellon University’s Tepper School of Business has announced the following MBA application deadlines for the 2017-18 admissions cycle.

Round 1
Application due: October 4, 2017

Decision released: December 13, 2017

Round 2 
Application due: January 4, 2018

Decision released: March 14, 2018

Round 3 
Application due: March 9, 2018

Decision released: May 9, 2018

Round 4 (part-time only)
Application due: April 20, 2018

Decision released: May 23, 2018

International applicants are encouraged to apply no later than Round 2 (January 4, 2017) to ensure adequate time for the student visa process.

For Consortium applicants: If you apply by The Consortium Round 1 deadline of October 15, you will receive an admissions decision from the Tepper School by December 14. If you apply by The Consortium Round 2 deadline of January 5, you will receive an admissions decision from the Tepper School by March 15.

All deadlines are 11:59 PM ET. For more information, please visit the Tepper School admissions website.

Expert Post
Weigh in on the MBA Application Process for a Shot at $100 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Jun 2017, 12:00
FROM Stacy Blackman Consulting Blog: Weigh in on the MBA Application Process for a Shot at $100

2017 could be a life-changing year for you. You may already know that you’ll be headed to business school in the fall, or you might be planning to start your MBA journey in the coming months. Either way, exciting things lie ahead.

All of us at Stacy Blackman Consulting want to help make your dream of attending a top business school come true by advising you on how to put together the strongest application possible. Along the way, we’d also like to put a $100 Amazon gift card in your pocket!

So, here’s the deal: we’re asking for a favor. Please fill out our one-minute survey. We know how precious your time is—you’ll only have to “check the box” in response to a few simple MBA-related questions. Then keep an eye here on the blog for the survey results, which will give you insight into how other prospective students are thinking about the application process.

Click now to fill it out for a shot at a $100 Amazon gift card. The survey will close at 5 p.m. ET on Thursday, June 15th.

Thanks so much for your participation,

Expert Post
UC Berkeley Haas Fall 2018 Application Deadlines [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Jun 2017, 12:00
FROM Stacy Blackman Consulting Blog: UC Berkeley Haas Fall 2018 Application Deadlines
The UC Berkeley Haas School of Business has posted the following MBA application deadlines for the 2017-18 admissions cycle.

Round 1
Application due: September 21, 2017

Decision released: December 14, 2017

Round 2
Application due: January 4, 2018

Decision released: March 22, 2018

Round 3
Application due: April 5, 2018

Decision released: May 10, 2018

All applications must be submitted on or before the application deadline at 11:59 p.m. Pacific Time. For more information, please visit the Berkeley MBA admissions website.

Expert Post
UC Berkeley Haas Fall 2018 MBA Essays [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Jun 2017, 12:00
FROM Stacy Blackman Consulting Blog: UC Berkeley Haas Fall 2018 MBA Essays
The Haas School of Business at UC Berkeley has announced an updated set of essay questions for the 2017-18 admissions season.

Essay #1
Tell us a six-word story that reflects a memorable experience in your life-to-date. Elaborate on why it is meaningful to you. (250 words maximum)

Tip: A successful six-word story will pique the reader’s interest in the forthcoming explanation. Together, the story and explanation will share a specific and personal experience that helps the reader get to know you better, giving insight into your character, values, or how you would uniquely contribute to the Berkeley-Haas community. View sample six-word stories and video tips from the admissions committee.

Essay #2
Respond to one of the following prompts: (250 words maximum)

• Describe a significant obstacle you have encountered and how it has impacted you.
  • Describe how you have cultivated a diverse and inclusive culture.
  • Describe a leadership experience and how you made a positive and lasting impact.
Tip: Responses can draw from professional or personal experiences. Through your response, the admissions committee hopes to gain insight into your achievements, involvement, and leadership footprint.

Essay #3
  • Briefly describe your immediate post-MBA career goals. (50 words maximum)
  • How have prior experiences motivated and prepared you to pursue these goals? (250 words maximum)
Tip: You are encouraged to reflect on both what you want to do professionally after business school and why this path interests you.

Optional Essay
Use this essay to share information that is not presented elsewhere in the application, for example:

• Explanation of employment gaps or academic aberrations
  • Quantitative abilities
  • For re-applicants, improvements to your candidacy
Supplemental Information

• If you have not provided a letter of recommendation from your current supervisor, please explain. If not applicable, enter N/A.
  • List, in order of importance, significant community and professional organizations and extracurricular activities in which you have been involved during or after university studies. Include the following information for each using the format below:
    • Name of organization or activity
    • Nature of organization or activity
    • Size of organization
    • Dates of involvement
    • Offices held
    • Average number of hours spent per month
  • List full-time and part-time jobs held during undergraduate or graduate studies indicating the employer, job title, employment dates, location, and the number of hours worked per week for each position held prior to the completion of your degree.
  • If you have ever been subject to academic discipline, placed on probation, suspended, or required to withdraw from any college or university, please explain. If not, please enter N/A (An affirmative response to this question does not automatically disqualify you from admission).
For more information, please visit the Berkeley MBA admissions website.

Expert Post
HBS to Offer Fee Waiver to Active Duty Military [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Jun 2017, 13:00
FROM Stacy Blackman Consulting Blog: HBS to Offer Fee Waiver to Active Duty Military
Harvard Business School has announced that it will waive the $250 application fee for its MBA program for all active duty military applicants starting in June 2017.

HBS students transitioning from active military service compose an important part of each MBA class. The application fee waiver is designed to reflect the value HBS places on having military voices in the classroom and in the community, given the significant leadership skills and experiences they bring from their time in service.

“Our military students bring a unique set of experiences to the class discussions at Harvard Business School,” said Chad Losee, the Managing Director of MBA Admissions and Financial Aid. “Leadership is at the core of what we teach and these students almost always have faced real life situations where leadership and judgment have been of paramount importance. This waiver helps to ensure their presence in the classroom is stronger than ever going forward.”

“I saw an MBA as a bridge between being a leader in the military to being a leader in the business world,” said Rebecca Greenbaum (MBA 2017). “After coming to HBS I now have the confidence to transfer my skills to the private sector. What’s at stake may be different, but I hope the impact will be just as great.”

Application fees are used to help cover the administrative costs associated with processing applications to the MBA program the school receives each year. This waiver is made possible by a generous commitment from Michael J. Zak (MBA 1981). Mike served on active duty in the US Marine Corps from 1975-1979 before enrolling at HBS.

For more information on attending the MBA program as a member of the armed services, including annual events, the military open house and webinars, and the Armed Forces Alumni Association, please visit the HBS website.

Expert Post
Sorry Military MBA Applicants, There’s No Manual for B-School Research [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Jun 2017, 10:01
FROM Stacy Blackman Consulting Blog: Sorry Military MBA Applicants, There’s No Manual for B-School Research

In this guest post directed at military applicants, army veteran and Cornell MBA Peter Sukits shares candid, actionable advice for military veterans considering a transition to a full-time MBA program.
Pete is an aspiring career coach, author and finance professional living in Cincinnati, Ohio. He served for five years as a commissioned officer in the United States Army, and deployed to Afghanistan in 2009. After separating from active duty, he earned an MBA from the Johnson Graduate School of Management at Cornell University.
Through the process of transitioning, he learned many valuable lessons in the areas of expectations, mindset and preparation when undertaking the shift from military to academic and civilian life. We’re happy to share his advice with you here.
One of the defining characteristics of military veterans is their independence. This is taught and reinforced by the continual expectation that you will figure things out for yourself…and the military enables that. How?

It’s all written down. Let’s look at a few examples:

• Putting together your dress uniform for the first time? Army Regulation 670-1 and your unit SOP.
  • Unsure about how to operate your new unit’s new radio? Just grab the -10 manual (said “Dash 10”)
  • Preparing for a ceremony you’ve never done before? There’s a DA pamphlet for that!
Now, I’m transitioning out of the military to business school…where’s the manual?

Nothing?

Well, not exactly. It’s not as if there are no resources out there. To the contrary, there are ample sources of knowledge, especially for veterans.  It’s just a lot less clear as to where to find these resources and which ones apply to you. After all, no two applicant situations are the same, and many people have different opinions on the matter. You’re reading one of them, after all!

This uncertainty and plethora of resources is only one part of the switch from a very structured military environment to the more ambiguous nature of business school and the business world in general.

Fortunately for us, another skill we have learned to develop is the art of backwards planning. Recall that two posts ago I spoke about the importance of having your end goal and your motivation for going to business school in mind. Once you have your end goal, you can begin to backwards plan and map out the steps you need to take in order to achieve that goal.

This is the point where our independence gets the better of us, and where we need to turn to new skills that will serve us well in our business career: building relationships and asking for help. After all, it can be tough to backwards plan for this, especially if you do not know your end goal. And if you don’t know your end goal…please see my previous article called Push or Pull?!

Figuring things out is now going to become a matter of collaboration, to a much greater extent. This is just as, if not more important, than actually solving the problem itself. You want people to know that you work well with them, that you can ask insightful questions, and that they can rely on you in the future. This will form the basis of your network and future opportunities.

Asking questions is going to become more important than ever. Continuing with the backwards planning theme – know exactly what kind of information you are after, or what questions you want to have answered. This will enable quicker, more accurate information-gathering, as well as a chance to prove your critical thinking skills to your colleagues.

By being able to plan out your end goals, seek out new perspectives and thoughtfully ask the questions you need to ask, you’ll be able to piece together some great reference material. The information is out there somewhere. The methods of obtaining it have just become a bit different.

Next Steps
Getting a head-start with MBA veterans associations is a crucial course of action in building your knowledge base for business school. They will  not only point you to the most beneficial resources , but you will be able to learn through their experiences as well. Reach out to them. Ask the questions that come to your mind about what they did, and better yet, how they did it.  This will give you more vital tools that you can add to your kit bag.

Expert Post
Georgetown McDonough Welcomes New Dean [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Jun 2017, 08:00
FROM Stacy Blackman Consulting Blog: Georgetown McDonough Welcomes New Dean
Georgetown University’s McDonough School of Business has announced that Paul Almeida, deputy dean of executive education and innovation, will become the school’s new dean effective Aug. 1st.

Currently a professor of strategy and international studies at McDonough, Almeida served as senior associate dean for executive programs between 2010 and 2016 and first came to Georgetown in 1995. The author of numerous scholarly articles, he also will become the William R. Berkley Chair at the school in August.

“Throughout his tenure at Georgetown, Paul has exemplified a commitment to principled leadership, instilling a global mindset focused on service to others into each program and project he oversees,” says Georgetown University President John J. DeGioia. “I am deeply grateful for his willingness to serve our entire university community as dean of the McDonough School of Business.”

As deputy dean, Almeida oversees the school’s new Innovation Initiative, which seeks to more deeply integrate Georgetown’s Catholic and Jesuit values into the school; expand technology-enhanced learning; leverage the school’s location in Washington, D.C.; and increase organizational excellence.

“I was educated in Jesuit schools as a child, and I carry the lessons I learned in my youth with me every day, often drawing upon them in my own classroom,” Almeida says. “It is an honor to now have the opportunity to lead a school that is rooted in both excellence and educating students to be successful in the world and for the world.”

Throughout his career Almeida has received numerous awards for teaching, service and research, including recognition as Georgetown’s “Outstanding Professor, Executive MBA Award” seven times.

Almeida holds a Ph.D. in international business and strategy and a masters in applied economics and managerial science from The Wharton School at the University of Pennsylvania; a PGDM (MBA) from the Indian Institute of Management; and a B.E. in Electrical Engineering from the University of Poona in India.

Rohan Williamson, professor of finance, will continue to serve as interim dean through the end of July.

Photo credit: Georgetown McDonough School of Business

Expert Post
Tuesday Tips: Michigan Ross Fall 2018 MBA Essay Tips [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Jun 2017, 09:00
FROM Stacy Blackman Consulting Blog: Tuesday Tips: Michigan Ross Fall 2018 MBA Essay Tips
The University of Michigan’s Ross School of Business is a program that emphasizes learning both inside and outside the classroom, and is seeking candidates that are intellectually curious and able to accomplish their goals.

Ross is also a close-knit community and fit with the program is important to demonstrate in the application process. Visiting Ross or learning about the program through current students, alumni or faculty would be helpful before starting this set of essays.

Michigan is introducing a new format for the first essay question, a series of short answer questions that you can respond to in 100 words or less. Read more about Admissions Director Soojin Kwon’s thinking at the invaluable Admissions Blog, and stay tuned for her video tips on this new format.

PART 1: SHORT ANSWER QUESTIONS
Select one prompt from each group. Respond to your selected prompts using 100 words or  fewer (<100 words each; 300 words total).

Group 1

• I want people to know that I:

• I turned an idea into action when I:

• I made a difference when I:

Group 2

• I showed my resilience when I:

• I was humbled when:

• I am out of my comfort zone when:

Group 3

• I was aware that I am different when:

• I find it challenging when people:

• A valuable thing I have taught someone is:

Take note that these short answers are about getting to know you as a person, not as a collection of accomplishments. Your values and personal life will ideally shine through.

Some of the personal attributes most valued at Ross include community engagement and interpersonal, communication and teamwork skills. When you think about your short answers you may want to write about an important extracurricular moment, a challenge you overcame, or an event in your life that highlights something unique about your background.

Looking at each group in turn, Group 1 might be an opportunity to talk about impact and action. It reads as a place to highlight accomplishments. The first prompt is entirely open ended and allows you to talk about something you are proud of, a personal quality, or an experience. For the next two prompts, you could describe when you made a difference to an organization or person, turned an idea into action (e.g., an accomplishment).

Group 2 is more about your reaction to events in your life and your character. How do you interpret what happens to you and how do you handle adversity and discomfort? This is certainly a place to talk about some of the unique experiences in your life, like living outside your home country, working with people different from yourself, or facing a challenge at work or in your personal life.

Group 3 is an opportunity to highlight how you are unique as compared to other people you know. These questions ask for some self-awareness as you describe who you are and how others may view you. What makes you different from your peers? What is a particular challenge to you that may not be to other people? And what did you teach someone (implying that you had knowledge or insight different from theirs)?

PART 2: ESSAY
Please share your short-term and long-term career goals. What skills/strengths do you have that will be relevant to your career goals? How will Ross prepare you for your goals? (300 words)

Admissions Director Kwon updated this question after last year’s more open-ended career goals essay resulted in some candidates writing about short-term goals and others writing about long-term goals. This year they are asking for both.

This essay is straightforward and Ross is not looking for extra explanation. Ideally you can describe your career path in a sentence or two and use the remainder of the space to elaborate.

Answering “why” you chose your career path is crucial. As you describe your career path make sure you explain what has led you to pursue it, and why it resonates with you. The answer doesn’t need to be elaborate or dramatic, but it should be convincing and real. Kwon adds that the admissions committee does not expect you to have all the experience needed for your career goals right now, but “We want to know that you understand the skills that are important for your desired career.

Recruiters assess whether you’re able to bring relevant skills/strengths to the table, so we do the same. Some of the skills and knowledge you’ll need will be developed during your time in the MBA program, but students are more successful in their career search if they understand the skills required to succeed in their chosen field.”

Finally, a successful essay will explain why Ross is the right program for you. Thorough school research will help you compose the best answer. Make sure you connect with current and former students personally if possible.

If you cannot find people to speak to through your network of friends, family and colleagues, most MBA students are open and willing to speak to interested prospective students. To find current Michigan Ross students you can reach out through student clubs or the admissions office.

Optional Statement:
This section should only be used to convey information not addressed elsewhere in your application, for example, completion of supplemental coursework, employment gaps, academic issues, etc. Feel free to use bullet points where appropriate.

Take it directly from the Ross admissions director: “The optional essay should only be used if there’s something in your background that requires a brief explanation. It’s not the place to submit an essay you wrote for another school, or to tell us how much you love Ross.”

Think about anything that may raise questions while reviewing a resume, transcript or recommendations. Typically the kinds of gaps that raise questions are significant gaps in employment (more than a few months), anything below a C on your college transcript (particularly in quantitative coursework) and low test scores.

Stacy Blackman Consulting has worked with successful candidates to Michigan Ross for over a decade and can offer comprehensive strategic advice every step of the way. Contact us to learn more.

Expert Post
Tuesday Tips: Yale School of Management Fall 2018 MBA Essay Tips [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Jun 2017, 10:01
FROM Stacy Blackman Consulting Blog: Tuesday Tips: Yale School of Management Fall 2018 MBA Essay Tips
The Yale School of Management has left the one required essay unchanged this year. “In asking this question, the Admissions Committee is interested not just in the commitment itself but also in how you approach the commitment and the behaviors that support it,” Assistant Dean Bruce DelMonico writes in the Yale Admissions Blog announcement.

Keep in mind the Yale community values: “The [Yale SOM] community is united by the belief that acting on our mission requires us to address the biggest and most pressing challenges in the world today. Such problems can’t be solved through solitary gestures—it takes teamwork, an ability to leverage human capital, and the building of active connections between people, ideas, and resources.”

Describe the biggest commitment you have ever made. (500 words maximum)

This is an open-ended question which is often intimidating to begin. As you approach this essay remember the type of MBA student Yale is most interested in admitting. Ideally you are coming across as an intellectually curious student with a diverse background deeply interested in the integrated curriculum.

Yale prioritizes diversity of background so highly that the tuition for the MBA program is on a sliding scalebased on your pre-MBA salary. This helps Yale attract people from non-traditional backgrounds and geographies, which leads to a true diversity of experiences in your class. How will you bring your own values and unique background to the community and classroom?

Behavioral questions like this one (the tip off is “describe”) seek to understand how you actually operate in various situations. Think about what a commitment is to you. Was it a job or an organization that you were involved in? Maybe your commitment was to a value or a person. Try to be as specific as possible your commitment and why it qualifies as the biggest commitment you have made. What did you think or say when you were determining what to do? What did you actually do? How did you feel about the result?

You may decide to focus on a solo commitment, and that may be entirely appropriate since most MBA applicants are individual contributors. However, ideally you can demonstrate how you work with others as a leader. Regardless of whether you choose an individual or team commitment, try to show how you have made a significant positive impact on an organization or people within the organization.

If appropriate to the commitment, you may want to highlight specific projects at work or in community service that have most excited you and shaped your future goals. This could align with your resume and projects that recommenders comment upon. Strategically designing all of the application components to showcase your best qualities will enhance your candidacy.

Because this is the only essay question available to highlight your personal qualities and leadership ability, make sure your resume and recommendations can answer any questions about your career and accomplishments.

The 500-word limit may be daunting. Instead of censoring yourself on the first draft and limiting what you write, start by describing each step in of your accomplishment in detail in terms of what you did, the reaction of others and your own reaction.

From there you can cut out anything that is too detailed or too superfluous to the story to maintain the 500-word maximum. Using an outside reader to help you determine what is most important to the story may help you streamline your essay.

Contact us to learn more about designing the best Yale application possible with Stacy Blackman Consulting.

Expert Post
Share Your Thoughts on the MBA Application Process for a Shot at $100 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Jun 2017, 08:00
FROM Stacy Blackman Consulting Blog: Share Your Thoughts on the MBA Application Process for a Shot at $100

2017 could be a life-changing year for you. You may already know that you’ll be headed to business school in the fall, or you might be planning to start your MBA journey in the coming months. Either way, exciting things lie ahead.

All of us at Stacy Blackman Consulting want to help make your dream of attending a top business school come true by advising you on how to put together the strongest application possible. Along the way, we’d also like to put a $100 Amazon gift card in your pocket!

So, here’s the deal: we’re asking for a favor. Please fill out our one-minute survey. We know how precious your time is—you’ll only have to “check the box” in response to a few simple MBA-related questions. Then keep an eye here on the blog for the survey results, which will give you insight into how other prospective students are thinking about the application process.

Click now to fill it out for a shot at a $100 Amazon gift card. The survey will close at 5 p.m. ET on Thursday, June 15th.

Thanks so much for your participation,

Expert Post
Emory Goizueta Fall 2018 MBA Essay Questions [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Jun 2017, 12:00
FROM Stacy Blackman Consulting Blog: Emory Goizueta Fall 2018 MBA Essay Questions
The Goizueta Business School at Emory University has posted the four required essays for the 2017-18 admissions season.

Essay One
Define your short-term post-MBA career goals. How are your professional strengths, past experience and personal attributes aligned with these goals? (300 word limit)

Essay Two
The business school is named for Roberto C. Goizueta, former Chairman and CEO of The Coca-Cola Company, who led the organization for 16 years, extending its global reach, quadrupling consumption, building brand responsibility, and creating unprecedented shareholder wealth. Mr. Goizueta’s core values guide us in educating Principled Leaders for Global Enterprise.

Provide an example of your leadership – professional or personal – and explain what you learned about yourself through the experience. (300 word limit)

Essay Three
Complete one of the following statements. (250 word limit)

• I am passionate about…
  • The best piece of advice I’ve received is…
  • The best day of my life was…
  • A personal goal I want to accomplish is…
Essay Four
Share with the committee and your future classmates a fun or noteworthy fact about you. (25 word limit)

Optional Essay
If you have additional information or feel there are extenuating circumstances which you would like to share with the MBA Admissions Committee (i.e. unexplained gaps in work experience, choice of recommenders, academic performance issues or areas of weakness in application). Please limit your response to 250 words.

For additional information on applying, please visit the Emory/Goizueta admissions website.

Expert Post
Chicago Booth Fall 2018 MBA Application Deadlines [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Jun 2017, 12:00
FROM Stacy Blackman Consulting Blog: Chicago Booth Fall 2018 MBA Application Deadlines
The University of Chicago Booth School of Business has posted the following MBA application deadlines for the 2017-18 admissions season.

Round 1
Application due: September 21, 2017

Decision released: December 7, 2017

Round 2
Application due: January 3, 2018

Decision released: March 15, 2018

Round 3
Application due: April 3, 2018

Decision released: May 17, 2018

All applications are due by 11:59 p.m. Central Time. For more information about applying to Chicago Booth, please visit the Booth admissions website.

Expert Post
Comment on Push or Pull? The Decision to Leave the Military and Pursue [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Jun 2017, 18:00
FROM Stacy Blackman Consulting Blog: Comment on Push or Pull? The Decision to Leave the Military and Pursue an MBA by Sorry Military MBA Applicants, There’s No Manual for B-School Research | Stacy Blackman Consulting - MBA Admissions Consulting
[…] for us, another skill we have learned to develop is the art of backwards planning. Recall that two posts ago I spoke about the importance of having your end goal and your motivation for going to business […]

Comment on Push or Pull? The Decision to Leave the Military and Pursue   [#permalink] 11 Jun 2017, 18:00

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  49   50   51   52   53   54   55  ...  63    Next  [ 1251 posts ] 

Stacy Blackman Consulting Blog

new topic post reply Update application status  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap