GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 17 Jul 2018, 20:20

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Stacy Blackman Consulting Blog

new topic post reply Update application status  
Expert Post
Stacy Blackman Consulting Representative
The Bigger Picture: Beginning Before I Am Ready [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Apr 2017, 07:00
FROM Stacy Blackman Consulting Blog: The Bigger Picture: Beginning Before I Am Ready
Years ago, I traveled to Barcelona with a dear friend to celebrate her birthday. I remember wandering through the streets. discussing topics ranging from family to future vacation plans to our respective careers. I told her then that there was more I wanted to accomplish with Stacy Blackman Consulting; I wanted to explore topics beyond business school applications and tap into other ideas that are personally meaningful to me,

The problem was that my vision was blurry; I did not have a concrete idea or plan. I returned to Los Angeles vowing to work on this expansion and brainstorm my next moves.

A few weeks ago, I went out for a birthday lunch with that same friend. During our conversation, I realized with shock that three years had passed since Barcelona and I had not yet formulated my “plan”. That realization jolted me into action.

I had to do something now and that meant that I had to act before I was ready.

In truth, the times in my life when I have accomplished the most have all been when I took the plunge before I was “ready”.

• I was not remotely ready to have my first child – it’s now our joke – my son knows he’s my test case!
  • A month after our wedding, my husband and I spontaneously packed up our apartment and traveled the world for four months without much of a plan, which occasionally landed us in interesting predicaments, but was an adventure we will forever treasure.
  • When I launched my first company, which is now part of TheKnot.com, I knew nothing about e-commerce, web design, functional specs, NDAs, drafting business plans, raising money or anything else related to our business. The learning curve was steep that year!
  • My original plan was to apply to business school a year later than I did. A friend in her first year at MIT Sloan advised me to go for it earlier, since it was already on my radar. I pulled together an application with the intention to reapply a year later when I was truly “ready”. However, I ended up being admitted to my dream school and the rest is history!
So here I am, writing a different kind of blog post, sharing a more personal aspect of myself, without much of a plan, and I am doing it before I am ready.

In truth, when are we ever ready? When do we just have piles of  time and resources sitting around, waiting for us to begin? When do we have the perfect plan, the team, the money and everything figured out? I don’t suggest being impulsive and reckless, but I do think that “getting ready” can ultimately be a form of procrastination.

I’ve found that the very best way to get “ready” is to start taking action. Step by step and brick by brick we can build a foundation that makes us “ready”. Whether you are applying to business school, gearing up for a career change, thinking about buying a house or starting a family or hungering to launch a new business, you just need to begin.

Start this week. Start today…before you are ready. Take one step, and then another, and then you are on your way. I will be building by your side!

All my best,

P.S.    Check out three of the very best things I created before I was ready.

ForumBlogs - GMAT Club’s latest feature blends timely Blog entries with forum discussions. Now GMAT Club Forums incorporate all relevant information from Student, Admissions blogs, Twitter, and other sources in one place. You no longer have to check and follow dozens of blogs, just subscribe to the relevant topics and forums on GMAT club or follow the posters and you will get email notifications when something new is posted. Add your blog to the list! and be featured to over 300,000 unique monthly visitors

Interested in a free 30 minute consultation with the Stacy Blackman Team? Sign up here: http://stacyblackman.com/contact

Stacy Blackman | Stacy Blackman Consulting Inc | http://www.StacyBlackman.com | +1 323.934.3936
MBA blogger, US News and Author, The MBA Application Roadmap

Expert Post
Is There Such Thing as Too Old, Too Young for an MBA? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Apr 2017, 13:01
FROM Stacy Blackman Consulting Blog: Is There Such Thing as Too Old, Too Young for an MBA?

Many prospective business school students confront whether now is the right time to get an MBA.

The profile of the typical business school applicant has changed significantly over the past decade. Once upon a time, few would contemplate applying without first having the requisite 5 to 7 years of work experience under their belts. The prevailing wisdom held that older candidates would have more to contribute to class discussions because of their substantial real-world experience.

Flash forward to today and you’ll see schools taking a closer look at younger candidates, including those with no work experience. The reason for this shift is that business schools fear some applicants would attain so much success after only a few years that they would not want to go back for an MBA.

Some candidates really are ready for business school right after graduating from college; some have started a company while in school, played a strong role in a family business, or gained relevant experiences in other areas.

But as more MBA programs welcome younger applicants, and in some cases actively court them with programs geared toward younger students—such as Harvard Business School‘s 2+2 Program, Yale School of Management‘s three-year Silver Scholars M.B.A. Program, and the deferred enrollment option for college seniors offered by the Stanford Graduate School of Business—anyone over age 28 may feel that she or he doesn’t stand a chance of getting in.

When a client asks, “Am I too old (or too young) for an MBA?” I respond that it’s not about chronological age. It’s more about maturity, readiness, and where you are in your career. Sometimes these things can be linked to age, but that’s not a certainty.

Instead, think about what you want to gain from and what you can contribute to an MBA program. You may be 22 but have a ton of insight to share and highly focused career goals. That would give you a leg up on the 28-year-old who is lost and just using the MBA as something to fill the time.

While older candidates do face certain obstacles, these applicants get into the top programs every year, and can and should apply if an MBA is the necessary stepping stone to advance their career. If you’re contemplating business school in your mid-30s, the key is to demonstrate confidence, how you’ve progressed professionally, and what you’ve contributed on the job.

A 38-year-old candidate who has spent more than a decade in the same position without showing progression will have a hard time being admitted to a top MBA program. This is not because of age. Rather, it is because the candidate may not demonstrated growth during that time.

If you’re applying to an elite school like Harvard, which values great leadership, you should’ve already developed terrific leadership skills. Many people with great leadership skills have achieved so much by the time they near 40 that they’re not interested in going back to school.

However, if one of these people is interested and can demonstrate great achievement balanced with a legitimate need or desire to return to school, then they have a good chance. Proving that you are a strong and accomplished 40-year-old leader, and balancing that with the fact that you want to improve in order to get to the next step, is tough to pull off. That said, “old” people are admitted every season!

Younger applicants, meanwhile, have their own set of obstacles to overcome. They’ll need to demonstrate to the admissions committee that they have the focus and maturity required to succeed in an MBA program.

Since a huge part of the b-school classroom experience is the exchange of ideas from diverse individuals, younger candidates will also need to prove that they have enough life experience to contribute to an incoming class. Business schools are looking for authentic experience, not just students who subscribe to the Wall Street Journal. Finally, younger applicants will need to show an admissions team they have a strong reason for returning to school so soon after graduation.

Regardless of whether you are young or old, if you can achieve what is written above, you will have a good chance of getting into a program that is the right fit for you. Your age should never be the sole deciding factor of whether to apply to business school.

ForumBlogs - GMAT Club’s latest feature blends timely Blog entries with forum discussions. Now GMAT Club Forums incorporate all relevant information from Student, Admissions blogs, Twitter, and other sources in one place. You no longer have to check and follow dozens of blogs, just subscribe to the relevant topics and forums on GMAT club or follow the posters and you will get email notifications when something new is posted. Add your blog to the list! and be featured to over 300,000 unique monthly visitors

Interested in a free 30 minute consultation with the Stacy Blackman Team? Sign up here: http://stacyblackman.com/contact

Stacy Blackman | Stacy Blackman Consulting Inc | http://www.StacyBlackman.com | +1 323.934.3936

Expert Post
Is There Such Thing as Too Old, Too Young for an MBA? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Apr 2017, 09:01
FROM Stacy Blackman Consulting Blog: Is There Such Thing as Too Old, Too Young for an MBA?

Many prospective business school students confront whether now is the right time to get an MBA.

The profile of the typical business school applicant has changed significantly over the past decade. Once upon a time, few would contemplate applying without first having the requisite 5 to 7 years of work experience under their belts. The prevailing wisdom held that older candidates would have more to contribute to class discussions because of their substantial real-world experience.

Flash forward to today and you’ll see schools taking a closer look at younger candidates, including those with no work experience. The reason for this shift is that business schools fear some applicants would attain so much success after only a few years that they would not want to go back for an MBA.

Some candidates really are ready for business school right after graduating from college; some have started a company while in school, played a strong role in a family business, or gained relevant experiences in other areas.

But as more MBA programs welcome younger applicants, and in some cases actively court them with programs geared toward younger students—such as Harvard Business School‘s 2+2 Program, Yale School of Management‘s three-year Silver Scholars M.B.A. Program, and the deferred enrollment option for college seniors offered by the Stanford Graduate School of Business—anyone over age 28 may feel that she or he doesn’t stand a chance of getting in.

When a client asks, “Am I too old (or too young) for an MBA?” I respond that it’s not about chronological age. It’s more about maturity, readiness, and where you are in your career. Sometimes these things can be linked to age, but that’s not a certainty.

Instead, think about what you want to gain from and what you can contribute to an MBA program. You may be 22 but have a ton of insight to share and highly focused career goals. That would give you a leg up on the 28-year-old who is lost and just using the MBA as something to fill the time.

While older candidates do face certain obstacles, these applicants get into the top programs every year, and can and should apply if an MBA is the necessary stepping stone to advance their career. If you’re contemplating business school in your mid-30s, the key is to demonstrate confidence, how you’ve progressed professionally, and what you’ve contributed on the job.

A 38-year-old candidate who has spent more than a decade in the same position without showing progression will have a hard time being admitted to a top MBA program. This is not because of age. Rather, it is because the candidate may not demonstrated growth during that time.

If you’re applying to an elite school like Harvard, which values great leadership, you should’ve already developed terrific leadership skills. Many people with great leadership skills have achieved so much by the time they near 40 that they’re not interested in going back to school.

However, if one of these people is interested and can demonstrate great achievement balanced with a legitimate need or desire to return to school, then they have a good chance. Proving that you are a strong and accomplished 40-year-old leader, and balancing that with the fact that you want to improve in order to get to the next step, is tough to pull off. That said, “old” people are admitted every season!

Younger applicants, meanwhile, have their own set of obstacles to overcome. They’ll need to demonstrate to the admissions committee that they have the focus and maturity required to succeed in an MBA program.

Since a huge part of the b-school classroom experience is the exchange of ideas from diverse individuals, younger candidates will also need to prove that they have enough life experience to contribute to an incoming class. Business schools are looking for authentic experience, not just students who subscribe to the Wall Street Journal. Finally, younger applicants will need to show an admissions team they have a strong reason for returning to school so soon after graduation.

Regardless of whether you are young or old, if you can achieve what is written above, you will have a good chance of getting into a program that is the right fit for you. Your age should never be the sole deciding factor of whether to apply to business school.

Expert Post
5 Reasons to Consider an MBA Degree [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Apr 2017, 13:01
FROM Stacy Blackman Consulting Blog: 5 Reasons to Consider an MBA Degree
Every spring, many prospective MBA applicants start seriously considering whether this is the year to apply for business school. Before deciding what type of program you will attend, selecting your school, and determining your application strategy, you need to make the crucial decision of whether an MBA is the right next step for your life and career. Think about the reasons why you want an MBA, and what your alternatives are.

Reasons for Pursuing an MBAne
Are you seeking an MBA for career advancement, personal development, or a career switch? While your MBA could be a transformational experience changing everything about your life, it’s more typically a tool to polish existing skills, build your network or expose you to new industries.

1. You’ve learned as much as you can in your current role and crave something more. If you find yourself stagnating in your present role or that you’ve plateaued in your job and there’s no room for upward mobility, an MBA can help you navigate and leverage your next career step. The business school experience will show you how to integrate your skills, passions and goals against the backdrop of current global market conditions.

2. You have a new professional goal. Ask yourself what you plan to accomplish after your MBA. If you know what your long-term goal is, that’s a great way to start. What do you need to know to accomplish that goal? How does your resume need to look? What skills do you need to build? And who do you need to know? Think about the aspects of that future that will be developed through your MBA and your short-term post MBA career.

If you are not someone with a clear long-term goal, critically consider what you think the MBA will do for you. Business school offers clear skill building in teamwork, leadership and practical skills like accounting and finance. There is also a strong professional network you will build with classmates and alumni.

3. You need the degree to move up the ladder. If you are seeking advancement in a career where an MBA is valued, it may be an important next step. If you are simply looking for a larger salary or a change of pace, make sure that an MBA is the right professional degree for you to pursue. Applying for business school is an expensive and time consuming activity, and that’s before you even start school! Dedication and passion for the path you are embarking upon are crucial.

4. You’re missing key skills that an MBA program can provide. Business school provides a safe space to experiment and hone those skills in a variety of situations. For applicants with strong technical expertise but who are light on general management skills or anyone looking to bridge the gap between the liberal arts and business, an MBA will catapult you to the next level.

5. You want to significantly expand your professional network. Your alumni network helps you stay connected to the university and to countless professional opportunities beyond graduation. While the quality of the education at the most elite programs is guaranteed across the board, when you’re spending two years of your life and paying more than $100K, keep in mind the network of contacts you build during your MBA experience truly is priceless.

Having a Plan B
While considering your reasons for pursuing an MBA, it will be useful to consider a common b-school interview question: “What will you do if you are not admitted this year?”

Sometimes the answer to the “Plan B” question can be revealing. If you think that you would give up your pursuit of an MBA and either return to a prior career path or pursue a completely different goal, it may not be time for you to dedicate this spring and summer to applying to MBA programs.

When you consider plan B and you find yourself answering that you will spend the year preparing to reapply and continuing to develop yourself for your future career, you are likely a dedicated prospective MBA. If you were not admitted, you might find yourself thinking that you would volunteer more, and build your knowledge and skill set in your chosen career path.

Once you have decided to pursue an MBA, the next steps are to consider your school options, develop your strategy and refine your goals as you plan for beginning your essays in a few months.

Photo credit: Eric at Flickr (CC BY-ND 2.0)

Expert Post
Stanford GSB Announces Fall 2018 MBA Application Deadlines [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Apr 2017, 12:01
FROM Stacy Blackman Consulting Blog: Stanford GSB Announces Fall 2018 MBA Application Deadlines
The Stanford Graduate School of Business has published the following MBA application deadlines for the 2017-2018 admissions season.

Round 1

Application Deadline: September 19, 2017

Notification Date: December 14, 2017

Round 2

Application Deadline: January 10, 2018

Notification Date: March 29, 2018

Round 3

Application Deadline: April 4, 2018

Notification Date: Mid May 2018

Candidates should note that all materials must be submitted by 1 p.m. Pacific Time on the day of the deadline to be considered for that round. The application will go live in June. For more information, please visit the Stanford GSB admissions website.

Expert Post
If You’ve Been Admitted to B-School, Read On [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Apr 2017, 09:01
FROM Stacy Blackman Consulting Blog: If You’ve Been Admitted to B-School, Read On
If you’ll be starting business school this fall, congratulations! It may seem like years ago that you first began work on your applications, or you might feel like the whole process flew by. Either way, you now have just a few months left before you head to campus and take your first official steps toward earning your MBA. And we guarantee that those remaining weeks will go quickly.

So what you should do between now and then?

Obviously everyone’s situation is different. Some future students choose to work up until they leave for school in an effort to save as much money as possible. Others have already given their employers notice and are off traveling the world or putting in quality time with friends and family. And still others will choose to follow the growing trend of participating in a pre-MBA internship.

You probably already know how you’re going to spend the bulk of your time before business school. But here are a few items to put on your To Do list just in case:

• Thank your recommenders. Big time. Meaning, take them to dinner, get them a small gift, or at the very least write a heartfelt thank-you note. Don’t underestimate the role your recommenders played in helping your candidacy—their glowing praise and memorable examples of your accomplishments might have been what convinced the adcom that they just had to have you in their program.
  • Thank the rest of your support system. You likely had someone else read over your essays or spell-check your application. You probably also had some good friends who listened patiently as you stressed out about everything from the GMAT to interviews to Notification Day. Make sure you let them know you how much their support meant to you. Even better, return the favor the next time they need help with something.
  • Get your finances in order. Even if you know where the majority of the money is coming from that will fund your MBA—be it personal savings, student loans, scholarships/grants or assistance from your family—now is the time to think about a monthly budget for your months on campus. There will be no shortage of opportunities to spend money over the next two years, and you should prioritize what’s most important to you before everything and everyone starts competing for your time. Would traveling for an industry trek be more important than going on spring break with sectionmates? Would you want to hit the slopes with your program’s Ski Club or participate in an international opportunity? If you know you won’t be able to afford it all, start thinking about what you definitely don’t want to miss out on and prioritize from there. Your savings account will thank you later.
  • Make new friends, but keep the old. Start getting to know your new classmates through your program’s intranet, message boards and local meetups. It’s a great feeling to already have a few acquaintances before you even step foot on campus. But don’t forget about the co-workers, friends and family members you’ll be saying goodbye to. Yes, there are tons of ways to stay in touch with people these days so it’s not like you’re going to totally drop off the face of the earth. Except that you kinda are—at least for a little while. Business school is intense. You’ll be mentally and physically exhausted during your first year (in a good way, we promise). So get some quality time in with those you care about now and forewarn them you may be a little less communicative than usual this fall.
Most of all, enjoy this unique period in your life. One chapter is closing and another (very exciting) one is beginning. Take some time to celebrate your huge accomplishment before classes start!

Think of it this way:

Just because you got into b-school doesn’t mean we have to say goodbye. In fact, Stacy is starting up a new column about what she’s learned post-MBA from growing Stacy Blackman Consulting. Don’t miss The Bigger Picture!

***Do you want to stay on top of the application process with timely tips like these? Please subscribe to our weekly newsletter and you’ll receive our expert advice straight in your mailbox before it appears on the blog, plus special offers, promotions, discounts, invitations to events, and more.

Expert Post
How to Structure Your MBA Resume [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Apr 2017, 13:00
FROM Stacy Blackman Consulting Blog: How to Structure Your MBA Resume
Most MBA programs require a resume submission as part of the written application, and members of the admissions team have often told us that in their estimation, the resume is just as important as the essays.

This single-page document should highlight important aspects of the candidate’s career trajectory thus far, but applicants frequently miss this extra opportunity to stand out from their peers.

Keep in mind that the reader of your MBA resume has different expectations than the person hiring you for an investment banking job or an engineering position. When crafting this version of your resume, distill your experiences down to a few meaningful lines of text, regardless of whether you submit a stand-alone CV or transfer that information to the application.

Rather than focus on specifics, admissions representatives want to see skills that are transferable to almost any industry. Revise your resume to highlight aspects considered important to an MBA program, such as the fact that you collaborated with an international team, or developed and trained others on a new analysis technique.

Many applicants include an objective at the top of their resume. However, in the context of the MBA application process, everyone has the same objective: to go to business school. Thus, the mission statement is irrelevant and a waste of valuable real estate. Also, avoid a resume that’s chock-full of jargon; instead, use the same language as the admissions committee.

In addition to telling the chronological story of your academic and professional career, focus on supporting three things: demonstrating growth and progression, showcasing leadership and highlighting other “MBA relevant” skills. These include traits like strong teamwork, collaboration and innovation.

Demonstrate that over the course of your career, you have picked up new skills, assumed new responsibilities and developed as an individual. Emphasize that others have recognized this growth. If done effectively, the resume reviewer can develop a good grasp of your abilities and responsibilities and understand how you have progressed in your career.

It’s also important to note if you manage one or more people. Even if you informally supervise and mentor someone, it’s worth including on the resume. Mention if you’ve taken a lead in recruiting, as it means you’re acting as the face of your company. This demonstrates that leaders at your company respect you and trust that you will represent them well.

Never underestimate the power of a well-executed resume.  And remember: resume details can also serve as icebreakers, or fuel the conversation during those business school interviews down the line.

Expert Post
Leadership at Goizueta Gets a Lift Thanks to Delta Gift [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Apr 2017, 13:01
FROM Stacy Blackman Consulting Blog: Leadership at Goizueta Gets a Lift Thanks to Delta Gift

A $3.5 million gift from The Delta Air Lines Foundation to Emory’s Goizueta Business School will endow the Delta Leadership Coaching Fellows Program, an experiential and peer-to-peer education initiative, the school recently announced.

A portion of the gift will also go toward the creation of the Delta Leadership Hub, a teaching and reception space at the school. According to Goizueta administrators, the gift will allow the school to serve more students, expand coaching opportunities and increase interaction among leaders.

“As a top-20, but small, business school our relationship with industry has historically centered primarily on recruiting relationships,” said Erika James, the John H. Harland Dean of Goizueta Business School. “With Delta’s support, we have more opportunities to create meaningful experiences for our Evening and Full-Time MBA students.”

While all MBA students receive leadership training at Goizueta, Full-Time and Evening MBA students can apply to become coaching fellows for additional instruction and chances to practice more interpersonal leadership skills.

Coaching fellows receive instruction in behavioral, relational, cognitive and emotional tools. The program is anchored on academic, experiential and reflection learning. Fellows complete workshops beyond the MBA curriculum, practicum experiences and have one-on-one sessions with executive coaches.

“Roberto Goizueta once said, ‘Leadership is one of the things you cannot delegate. You either exercise it, or you abdicate it,’” said Ken Keen, Associate Dean of Leadership Development. “We seek to provide students as many opportunities as possible to exercise leader skills, receive feedback, reflect on those opportunities and grow as leaders. The fellows program is one of those unique opportunities.”

Expert Post
A Look at One Successful HBS Applicant [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Apr 2017, 14:00
FROM Stacy Blackman Consulting Blog: A Look at One Successful HBS Applicant
Prospective applicants always wants to know how to land a seat at the (usually) top-ranked MBA program in the land, Harvard Business School. If that sounds like you, then check out the recent piece in BusinessInsider profiling first-year MBA student Ayse Baybars and her journey to HBS.

Baybars graduated from Harvard University in 2012 with a major in human evolutionary biology and minor in English. Her work experience prior to applying to business school included a stint at a small nonprofit focused on STEM, and a role at the lingerie startup Peach.

“I am one of the only students with a science background who also has significant startup experience, so I think that brings a very different view to our case discussions when we talk about making decisions using very little data,” she said of her contributions to the class.

Her best advice to MBA hopefuls is, “Be true to who you are. Don’t try to craft the story before you’ve lived it. The story and the narrative will come as long as you pick steps with authenticity that speak to what you want to do.”

Click on over to the original article for more details on how Baybars’s non-traditional background, coupled with an adroit packaging of her story for the admissions team,  helped her gain admission to this elite business school.

Image credit: Michael A. Herzog (CC BY-ND 2.0)

Expert Post
Ramp Up Extracurriculars Before Round 1 Deadlines [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Apr 2017, 12:01
FROM Stacy Blackman Consulting Blog: Ramp Up Extracurriculars Before Round 1 Deadlines

This post originally appeared on Stacy’s “Strictly Business” MBA Blog on U.S.News.
If you’ve been holed up in your office for the past three years, you may not have realized that volunteer experience and extracurricular interests are a crucial aspect of your business school application profile.

Now you might be panicking as to what to do to fill out your application. You may even wonder why the admissions team is so keen on learning about your community service efforts or hobbies.

Top-ranked MBA programs aren’t looking for number-crunching robots to fill their seats – they are seeking multidimensional candidates with interests and passions outside of work who have shown a commitment to serving their community in some meaningful way.

An added bonus: The ability to make time for such endeavors shows that you’re someone capable of juggling academics with clubs, conferences, recruiting and more once at b-school. It also provides insight for the admissions team as to how you might one day contribute to the vitality of a class and the school’s alumni network.

If you’re planning to apply to b-school during the 2017-18 admissions season and don’t have many volunteer experiences or extracurricular interests to speak of, now is the time to start becoming involved – and avoid looking like you did it just for the application.

But there’s more to it than merely adding another line to your resume. Here are two ways to strengthen your MBA application with volunteer work and extracurriculars.

Brainstorm interests and activities: Start by brainstorming things that you enjoy doing in your personal life and seek out related organizations. Your extracurricular activities should be things that resonate with you and don’t have to include saving the whole world.

Perhaps you can expand one of your lifelong hobbies within a group setting. Are you a cycling enthusiast? Consider volunteering at an advocacy organization working to improve the cycling environment in your city.

Or do you love food and feel passionate about sustainability or the fight against hunger? Start a community garden or become involved with a food bank. The possibilities are endless, and any meaningful involvement can give you the opportunity to exercise your leadership and management skills in a low-risk, high-responsibility situation.

One client we worked with, Ali, had a strong applicant profile, complete with stellar undergraduate GPA, a high GMAT score and impressive work experience at a prestigious investment bank. Admissions committee members know that most investment bankers have little spare time to devote to community service, but we felt it would further bolster his candidacy if we could show Ali had an interest in helping others.

Ali and his consultant mined his background for relevant activities that would not seem abrupt if he became involved just six months before his MBA application deadlines. Inspired by his sister’s work with nonprofit organizations related to girls’ education in the Middle East, Ali had an idea to have young professionals in New York sponsor a high school-aged girl in a Middle Eastern country and mentor her in terms of possible postgraduation career paths.

Ali enlisted friends and colleagues to recruit mentors, and he launched the first year of the program in the spring before his application deadlines. In his MBA applications, Ali discussed how he had recruited six mentor-mentee pairs for the program and raised a meaningful amount of money to support it.

While low in time commitment for Ali, this activity had high impact and assisted him in his successful applications to Columbia Business School, Duke University’s Fuqua School of Business and Harvard Business School.

Think about activities that you participated in as an undergrad and become re-engaged. It’s ideal to be able to show continuity in your interests and goals. Even impacting your alumni organization in a positive way can be as impressive as engaging in charity work.

If you are a career-changer, your extracurricular activities may be a great introduction to your new target industry or function. Think about how you can demonstrate knowledge of your newly chosen career path through volunteer and community activities.

Focus on quality: If you’re already involved in a volunteer activity, that’s great, but that means that the quality of your contributions is most important.

Seek out leadership opportunities in your existing activities or find an organization that can benefit from your management skills. Taking charge in your extracurricular interests is great material for any leadership, management or teamwork-themed essay.

Business schools pride themselves in training future leaders and look for individuals who are concerned about doing great work and improving the world around them. Having interesting hobbies and community involvement shows that you have a larger view of the world and that you see what’s happening outside of your office and are motivated to become involved and contribute in some way.

These activities can also show self-awareness about your own role as a leader and your ability to leverage your position. You still have several months to create a meaningful impact before the first-round application deadlines, even if your free time is limited. But the time to get started is today.

Expert Post
What to Do Between Now and Round 1 Deadlines [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 May 2017, 09:01
FROM Stacy Blackman Consulting Blog: What to Do Between Now and Round 1 Deadlines
If you plan to apply to MBA programs this fall, you have a little more than four months until the first Round 1 deadlines hit. What’s one of the most important things you can do between now and then? Get a few more leadership experiences under your belt.

At work, seek out opportunities to manage projects or teams. When you have an idea for how to improve or streamline a process in your office or for a client, take the initiative to work on it in your spare time. If your manager is supportive of your plans to go back to school, ask what other responsibilities you could take on.

Perhaps you could mentor a junior employee or head up a company-sponsored volunteer event. All of these steps will likely result in additional accomplishments you can add to your resume, write essays about, or discuss in an interview.

Four months is also more than enough time to get involved—or get more involved—in a cause that’s close to your heart. Taking an active role in a community organization or nonprofit is an excellent way to differentiate yourself from the competition. If you’ve volunteered for a certain group before, see what else you can help them with that’s more high profile, or ask if there are any open leadership roles that would be a good fit.

While there are some aspects of your candidacy that are already set in stone—where you earned your undergraduate degree, your GPA, and your career choices up until now—there are other things that can certainly be improved over the next few months.

Think of it this way:

Until next time,

The team at Stacy Blackman Consulting

***Do you want to stay on top of the application process with timely tips like these? Please subscribe to our weekly newsletter and you’ll receive our expert advice straight in your mailbox before it appears on the blog, plus special offers, promotions, discounts, invitations to events, and more.

Expert Post
The Bigger Picture: Don’t Let the Perfect be the Enemy of the Good [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 May 2017, 06:01
FROM Stacy Blackman Consulting Blog: The Bigger Picture: Don’t Let the Perfect be the Enemy of the Good
Every night, without fail, I map out the following day in my calendar. I block off time for exercise, errands, family responsibilities, seeing friends and working on various projects.  If I want something to happen on a certain day, I fit it into my calendar.

I like doing this, and the nerd in me likes looking at my calendar the night before. Not yet disturbed by heavier than expected street traffic, an emergency call from the elementary school nurse, a canceled meeting or feelings of laziness and inertia, my day still has the potential to be “perfect”. It’s the fantasy; I am organized, focused, productive, patient and full of energy and drive.

The flip side of this is that the bubble of perfection is popped many times throughout each day. I often end up feeling disappointed in myself, wondering how a given day dissolved into chaos, went off track and became so completely unproductive. Outside events easily interfere with my best laid plans. Internal events do as well; I can be derailed by sleepiness, frustration and a general lack of motivation.

Last night I set my alarm for 5AM so that I could have some quiet time to write this post before the day began. As I sit here writing, I am tempted to crawl back into bed. I am exhausted because I could not fall asleep last night after a Sunday night swim party. I am distracted because a delivery that was supposed to have arrived on my doorstep last night is not here. I keep getting up to check the front door, check my email confirmation of the delivery and check the tracking online. (Postscript: as my perfect day progressed, my daughter called from school to say she had forgotten her volleyball gear at home, my 3PM appointment was canceled, a key member of the SBC team let me know she needs to take a leave due to family health issues and there was fraud on my checking account which resulted in hours on the phone with the bank.)

My fantasy of this morning was a super intense, adrenaline fueled, undistracted work session. The reality is that I wrote a mediocre draft in a tired, distracted state. As for the rest of the day…real life quickly obliterated that perfect schedule.

In truth, this is a typical day: not perfect, rarely productive enough and never, ever unfolding as planned. However, when I reflect on my whole life – I realize that despite daily imperfection, I have built something great. My business, my family, my home, my community: it’s a big, happy life that grew by living and doing with consistency, every day for many years. And of course, it continues to evolve.

It’s refreshing to me to realize that pretty-good is good enough. I want to set the bar high, but perfection isn’t necessary. I love the expression, “Don’t let the perfect be the enemy of the good.” Sometimes, crossing that one tedious task off the list is all we can muster, and that’s ok. It’s something. When we put a lot of something’s together, we get somewhere. We can get somewhere very good.

By the way, here’s a peak at what my fantasy calendar looks like the night before, when it’s still “perfect”.

Expert Post
Texas MBA Receives $6M Gift to Support Real Estate Program [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 May 2017, 10:01
FROM Stacy Blackman Consulting Blog: Texas MBA Receives $6M Gift to Support Real Estate Program
The UT McCombs School of Business announced it has received a $6 million gift from alum John Goff to support experiential learning initiatives and the real estate program at the Austin campus.

The gift will be used for three strategic growth initiatives at McCombs, complementing the activities of the school’s Real Estate Finance and Investment Center and its 250-member council.

First, Goff has donated $2 million to the Real Estate Investment Fund and will match any additional donations up to $2.5 million, for a total gift of $4.5 million. Once completed, this will bring the total value of the fund from its current $3 million to $10 million.

“This gift will catapult forward a real estate program that is already among the world’s elite,” says Jay Hartzell, dean of the McCombs School. “We will be second to none in our ability to provide experiential learning for our undergraduate and graduate students, complementing the analytical foundation we’ve always given them.”

The fund is unique among business schools, as McCombs is the only business school in the country where undergraduate and graduate students have the opportunity to oversee investments in public and private real estate funds.

Additionally, $1 million of Goff’s donation will fund a new chair in real estate, allowing the hire of an accomplished tenure-track faculty researcher or a professional fellow with significant real estate experience.

Goff’s investment in real estate initiatives at the school will also fund the creation of the John Goff Labs in Robert B. Rowling Hall, the new graduate school for business at UT Austin. These will include a real estate lab to support experiential learning projects, practicums and events, as well as any additional “theory-to-practice” rooms for use by graduate business students, faculty members and corporate partners.

“Being a graduate of the McCombs School of Business has been extremely meaningful to my career,” Goff says. “I am thrilled to make this gift to enhance the real estate program at McCombs. Jay’s personal background and passion for real estate were catalysts in my decision, and collectively we intend to make this the No. 1 ranked real estate program in the country.”

In late spring of 2015, a group of real estate finance Texas MBA candidates approached Goff with a feasibility study to expand the Real Estate Investment Fund. Hartzell accompanied the students to Fort Worth to pitch their idea to Goff directly.

“John is a legend,” says Scott Sowanick, one of the five Texas MBA candidates to pitch the idea. “Meeting and talking with him about our idea was an incredible honor.”

Although the original group of students that helped conceive the idea for the fund has graduated, they remain in contact with the school and Goff.

“John Goff embodies Texas real estate and everything that a student of real estate aspires to be,” Sowanick adds. “To have an individual of his stature and pedigree take the real estate fund to the next level couldn’t have been scripted any better.”

Expert Post
Tuck School Names New Executive Director of Admissions, Financial Aid [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 May 2017, 12:01
FROM Stacy Blackman Consulting Blog: Tuck School Names New Executive Director of Admissions, Financial Aid
After a three month search, Dartmouth’s Tuck School of Business has named Luke Anthony Peña as its new Executive Director of Admissions and Financial Aid, the school announced today.  He succeeds Dawna Clarke, who stepped down in late 2016 after 11 years as director of admissions.

In this role, Peña will lead the school’s admissions and financial aid teams and develop and implement strategies for recruiting, selecting, and enrolling MBA candidates who will thrive in Tuck’s distinctly immersive learning community.

Peña holds a joint MBA/MA Education degree from the Stanford Graduate School of Business and a BS in Business Administration and BA in Public Relations from the University of Southern California.

Peña previously served as director of MBA admissions at the Stanford Graduate School of Business, where he led its marketing and recruitment teams, and managed all external outreach including events, online programming, and social media.

Luke’s expertise in MBA admissions will ensure Tuck is successful in welcoming even more of best and brightest students into our community, says Tuck School Dean Matthew Slaughter.

At Stanford GSB, he introduced and implemented data analytics to enhance recruitment and yield efforts, and created digital resources to improve relationship management with both alumni ambassadors and prospective students.

A 2012 GSB graduate, Peña was previously associate director of MBA admissions, and also worked as assistant director of admissions at the USC Annenberg School for Communication and Journalism prior to joining the Stanford admissions team.

“Tuck is unparalleled in its commitment to creating and cultivating a distinctly immersive, intimate, and collaborative environment for leadership development,” says Peña. “As a community builder, you dream of partnering with alumni, students, staff, and faculty who invest in supporting and challenging one another, and in advancing Tuck’s mission to better the world of business. I am enthusiastically looking forward to deepening relationships with current and future members of this community.”

He begins his new appointment July 18.

Expert Post
Paying for a Harvard MBA [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 May 2017, 09:00
FROM Stacy Blackman Consulting Blog: Paying for a Harvard MBA
In his recent update to the Director’s Blog, Harvard Business School‘s head of admissions and financial aid Chad Losee shared a few important points of how financial aid works at HBS. The inspiration for the post came after attending the school’s annual “Fellowship Dinner” for current students who have received need-based aid to study and the donors who make it possible.

“I intellectually know that 50% of all HBS students receive an average fellowship of $74,000 over the two years (money that doesn’t need to be paid back), ” Losee writes, “But seeing everyone together—filling up three basketball courts in the HBS gym (Shad Hall)—I was struck by how many people’s lives are impacted for good.”

Alumni donations to HBS don’t go into a large pot to be divided up among students with need, Losee explains, adding that fellowships are not provided as an anonymous way of discounting tuition for some students.  “The funds are real money from real people, and each donor’s contribution goes to a specific student,” he explained.

“At the Fellowship Dinner, those giving and those receiving sit next to one another, and students are able to personally thank their benefactors. At my table last night, I saw great conversations, genuine heartfelt gratitude, and budding mentor relationships take hold. It was moving,” he shared.

“These are busy people with busy lives all over the world,” Losee writes, “But here they are on campus to support these students. Many were fellowship recipients themselves as HBS students and feel an enduring connection to the School.”

Cash-strapped applicants can take heart when they hear what Harvard Business School dean Nitin Nohria said in this Bloomberg interview in 2015: “What we’re looking for is the brightest people with great leadership potential. And I promise you, if you apply to Harvard Business School you will be able to attend irrespective of your financial needs.”

Some very worthy applicants become scared off of applying to a school of this caliber for fear that the expense will be too great to bear. Losee’s post therefore is extremely important to keep qualified candidates from self-selecting out of the HBS applicant pool next season.

For more information about the financial aid process at Harvard Business School, take a look at this webinar on the school’s website.

Image credit: Chris Han (CC BY-NC-SA 2.0)

Expert Post
Plan Now to Leave Enough Time in Round 1 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 May 2017, 09:01
FROM Stacy Blackman Consulting Blog: Plan Now to Leave Enough Time in Round 1
In high school or college—or maybe even recently on an important project at work—you might have been able to wait until the last minute to do something and still come out looking like a champ. But we can assure you that won’t be the case for anything having to do with your MBA application efforts. Procrastinating is a sure-fire way to weaken your materials.

Early in any candidate’s MBA journey comes preparation for the GMAT or GRE. If you believe you can wing this critical piece of the process, think again. Studying for these tests usually requires months of effort—as well as leaving enough time for a “do-over” if your first attempt doesn’t go so well.

Same thing applies for your resume, essays and data forms. You can’t just throw these things together as the clock ticks down. They require a lot of upfront thought and several rounds of edits in order to ensure your unique voice is coming through.

While this comes much later in the process, preparing for an interview is similar: if you don’t practice at all until the night before, you’re bound to realize you aren’t quite as smooth as you hoped you’d be. Then you’re either going to stay up late to work on your responses or not be able to sleep because you’ll be so worried about your upcoming performance. Neither helps put you in the best frame of mind when it’s “go time.”

And if you don’t do thorough research on two or more programs you’ve been accepted to and make your final decision on a whim or gut feeling . . . well, that could be a multi-thousand-dollar mistake. Enough said!

So if you are going to apply to business school this application year, do yourself a favor and ensure you have ample time to complete each part of the process. Start clearing your schedule over the coming months to ensure you’ll have enough time to pull together quality materials. Daily progress—no matter how minimal—is much better than attempting to do everything right before the deadlines hit.

Think of it this way:

Until next time,

The team at Stacy Blackman Consulting

Expert Post
NYU Stern Launches Two New One-Year Programs: Tech MBA, Fashion & Luxu [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 May 2017, 13:00
FROM Stacy Blackman Consulting Blog: NYU Stern Launches Two New One-Year Programs: Tech MBA, Fashion & Luxury MBA
New York University’s Stern School of Business is launching a new category of specialized MBA, optimized for MBA seekers who are firmly committed to business careers either in technology or in fashion and luxury. Both programs will enable students to build applicable knowledge, gain relevant real-world experience and earn their MBA in one year.

Raghu Sundaram, Vice Dean for MBA Programs and Online Learning, says, “These new MBAs provide broad exposure to core business areas with a depth of focus on the specialty area through an efficient schedule, reducing the opportunity cost with a more affordable MBA option.”

The program structure consists of four components: a business core; a technology or fashion and luxury core; real-world experiential learning projects with organizations in the respective specialty areas; and electives. With real-world business projects an essential element of the curriculum, Stern is elevating its commitment to experiential learning and branding it Stern Solutions.

The Tech MBA is designed for business candidates with strong technology backgrounds and will prepare students to advance their careers in Product Management, FinTech and Tech Entrepreneurship across various industries.

The program’s tech core was designed in partnership with NYU’s Courant Institute of Mathematical Sciences. NYU Stern is itself home to one of the largest faculty of computer and data scientists among business schools and will bring all these strengths to bear in the Tech MBA.

Stern is the first US business school to offer a Fashion & Luxury MBA.

Over the past several years, the fashion and luxury industries have increasingly acknowledged the competitive advantage of adding business-educated talent to their creative ranks especially in the face of technological disruption.

This program is designed for students with a commitment to management roles throughout these sectors—accessories, apparel, beauty, jewelry, high-end automotive, fine wines and spirits, real estate, wearable tech and more. They will also have access to the Stern Fashion Lab, a new central hub being established for industry-related projects and networking for all Stern students.

“Because we sit in the heart of the business ecosystem that is New York City, with global headquarters and new economy upstarts just outside our doors, we are in constant conversation with industry about developing future talent,” said Peter Henry, Dean of NYU Stern. “This dialogue drives continuous innovation at Stern […] so we stay as relevant to the new economy as we are to Wall Street.”

The inaugural classes for the Tech MBA and Fashion & Luxury MBA will enroll at Stern in May 2018. Students will take 51 credits over 12 months and earn an MBA degree from Stern in one year.

Expert Post
NYU Stern School of Business Fall 2018 MBA Application Deadlines [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 May 2017, 13:00
FROM Stacy Blackman Consulting Blog: NYU Stern School of Business Fall 2018 MBA Application Deadlines
The Stern School of Business at New York University has announced the following MBA application deadlines for the 2017-2018 admissions cycle. The application itself is undergoing annual updates and the essay questions will be posted shortly.

Round 1
Application due: October 15, 2017

Decision released: January 1, 2018

Round 2
Application due: January 15, 2018

Decision released: April 1, 2018

Round 3
Application due: March 15, 2018

Decision released: June 1, 2018

All applications must be submitted by 11:59 p.m. Eastern Time on the day of the deadline to be considered in that round. International applicants are encouraged to apply earlier in the application cycle to facilitate visa arrangements and to have priority consideration for off-site interviews, if desired.

Expert Post
Columbia Business School Fall 2018 MBA Application Deadlines [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 May 2017, 12:01
FROM Stacy Blackman Consulting Blog: Columbia Business School Fall 2018 MBA Application Deadlines
Columbia Business School has announced the following MBA application deadlines for the 2017-2018 admissions season.

August Entry
Early Decision Deadline: October 4, 2017

Merit Based Fellowship Deadline: January 5, 2018

Regular Decision Deadline: April 11, 2018

J-Term
Application Deadline: October 4, 2017

Students may enroll in either August or January. The CBS admissions website notes that the paths are identical in terms of competitiveness of admissions, academic rigor, and student resources, but they differ in terms of timing and the opportunity to complete a summer internship.

The August entry has two review periods — early decision and regular decision. Because CBS uses a rolling admissions process, it is always to your advantage to apply well before the deadline.

All applications are due at 11:59 p.m. EST on the day of the deadline.

For additional information, please visit the Columbia’s MBA admissions website.

Expert Post
Columbia Business School Fall 2018 MBA Essay Questions [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 May 2017, 12:01
FROM Stacy Blackman Consulting Blog: Columbia Business School Fall 2018 MBA Essay Questions
Columbia Business School has announced the following revised MBA application essays for the 2017-2018 admissions cycle.

Essays
Goal: What is your immediate post-MBA professional goal? (50 characters)

Essay #1: Through your resume and recommendations, we have a clear sense of your professional path to date. What are your career goals over the next 3 – 5 years and what, in your imagination, would be your long-term dream job? (500 words)

Essay #2: The full-time MBA experience includes academics, recruiting and networking. What are your personal priorities and how do you anticipate allocating your time at Columbia Business School? (250 words)

EMBA Essay #2: Columbia Business School’s Executive MBA will challenge you by offering a rigorous academic experience, global exposure through the international seminar, and the opportunity to immediately apply what you learn to your career. How will you approach balancing the demands of the program with your professional and personal life while you are in school? (250 words)

Essay #3: Please select and answer one of the following essay questions: (250 words)

a: Please tell us what you feel most passionate about in life.

b: If you were given a free day and could spend it anywhere, in any way you choose, what would you do?

Optional Essay: Is there any further information that you wish to provide the Admissions Committee? If so, please use this space to provide an explanation of any areas of concern in your academic record or your personal history. You may submit bullet points. (Maximum 500 words)

The MBA application to Columbia Business School will go live on Monday, May 15th. Please visit the CBS admissions website for more information.

Columbia Business School Fall 2018 MBA Essay Questions   [#permalink] 09 May 2017, 12:01

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  47   48   49   50   51   52   53  ...  70    Next  [ 1392 posts ] 

Stacy Blackman Consulting Blog

new topic post reply Update application status  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap