Last visit was: 26 Jul 2024, 20:35 It is currently 26 Jul 2024, 20:35
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Stacy Blackman Consulting Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 175 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Send PM
Send PM
Send PM
What to Do Between Now and Round 1 Deadlines [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Stacy Blackman Consulting Blog: What to Do Between Now and Round 1 Deadlines
If you plan to apply to MBA programs this fall, you have a little more than four months until the first Round 1 deadlines hit. What’s one of the most important things you can do between now and then? Get a few more leadership experiences under your belt.

At work, seek out opportunities to manage projects or teams. When you have an idea for how to improve or streamline a process in your office or for a client, take the initiative to work on it in your spare time. If your manager is supportive of your plans to go back to school, ask what other responsibilities you could take on.

Perhaps you could mentor a junior employee or head up a company-sponsored volunteer event. All of these steps will likely result in additional accomplishments you can add to your resume, write essays about, or discuss in an interview.

Four months is also more than enough time to get involved—or get more involved—in a cause that’s close to your heart. Taking an active role in a community organization or nonprofit is an excellent way to differentiate yourself from the competition. If you’ve volunteered for a certain group before, see what else you can help them with that’s more high profile, or ask if there are any open leadership roles that would be a good fit.

While there are some aspects of your candidacy that are already set in stone—where you earned your undergraduate degree, your GPA, and your career choices up until now—there are other things that can certainly be improved over the next few months.

Think of it this way:

Until next time,

The team at Stacy Blackman Consulting

***Do you want to stay on top of the application process with timely tips like these? Please subscribe to our weekly newsletter and you’ll receive our expert advice straight in your mailbox before it appears on the blog, plus special offers, promotions, discounts, invitations to events, and more.

This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Send PM
The Bigger Picture: Don’t Let the Perfect be the Enemy of the Good [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Stacy Blackman Consulting Blog: The Bigger Picture: Don’t Let the Perfect be the Enemy of the Good
Every night, without fail, I map out the following day in my calendar. I block off time for exercise, errands, family responsibilities, seeing friends and working on various projects.  If I want something to happen on a certain day, I fit it into my calendar.

I like doing this, and the nerd in me likes looking at my calendar the night before. Not yet disturbed by heavier than expected street traffic, an emergency call from the elementary school nurse, a canceled meeting or feelings of laziness and inertia, my day still has the potential to be “perfect”. It’s the fantasy; I am organized, focused, productive, patient and full of energy and drive.

The flip side of this is that the bubble of perfection is popped many times throughout each day. I often end up feeling disappointed in myself, wondering how a given day dissolved into chaos, went off track and became so completely unproductive. Outside events easily interfere with my best laid plans. Internal events do as well; I can be derailed by sleepiness, frustration and a general lack of motivation.

Last night I set my alarm for 5AM so that I could have some quiet time to write this post before the day began. As I sit here writing, I am tempted to crawl back into bed. I am exhausted because I could not fall asleep last night after a Sunday night swim party. I am distracted because a delivery that was supposed to have arrived on my doorstep last night is not here. I keep getting up to check the front door, check my email confirmation of the delivery and check the tracking online. (Postscript: as my perfect day progressed, my daughter called from school to say she had forgotten her volleyball gear at home, my 3PM appointment was canceled, a key member of the SBC team let me know she needs to take a leave due to family health issues and there was fraud on my checking account which resulted in hours on the phone with the bank.)

My fantasy of this morning was a super intense, adrenaline fueled, undistracted work session. The reality is that I wrote a mediocre draft in a tired, distracted state. As for the rest of the day…real life quickly obliterated that perfect schedule.

In truth, this is a typical day: not perfect, rarely productive enough and never, ever unfolding as planned. However, when I reflect on my whole life – I realize that despite daily imperfection, I have built something great. My business, my family, my home, my community: it’s a big, happy life that grew by living and doing with consistency, every day for many years. And of course, it continues to evolve.

It’s refreshing to me to realize that pretty-good is good enough. I want to set the bar high, but perfection isn’t necessary. I love the expression, “Don’t let the perfect be the enemy of the good.” Sometimes, crossing that one tedious task off the list is all we can muster, and that’s ok. It’s something. When we put a lot of something’s together, we get somewhere. We can get somewhere very good.

By the way, here’s a peak at what my fantasy calendar looks like the night before, when it’s still “perfect”.

This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Send PM
Texas MBA Receives $6M Gift to Support Real Estate Program [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Stacy Blackman Consulting Blog: Texas MBA Receives $6M Gift to Support Real Estate Program
The UT McCombs School of Business announced it has received a $6 million gift from alum John Goff to support experiential learning initiatives and the real estate program at the Austin campus.

The gift will be used for three strategic growth initiatives at McCombs, complementing the activities of the school’s Real Estate Finance and Investment Center and its 250-member council.

First, Goff has donated $2 million to the Real Estate Investment Fund and will match any additional donations up to $2.5 million, for a total gift of $4.5 million. Once completed, this will bring the total value of the fund from its current $3 million to $10 million.

“This gift will catapult forward a real estate program that is already among the world’s elite,” says Jay Hartzell, dean of the McCombs School. “We will be second to none in our ability to provide experiential learning for our undergraduate and graduate students, complementing the analytical foundation we’ve always given them.”

The fund is unique among business schools, as McCombs is the only business school in the country where undergraduate and graduate students have the opportunity to oversee investments in public and private real estate funds.

Additionally, $1 million of Goff’s donation will fund a new chair in real estate, allowing the hire of an accomplished tenure-track faculty researcher or a professional fellow with significant real estate experience.

Goff’s investment in real estate initiatives at the school will also fund the creation of the John Goff Labs in Robert B. Rowling Hall, the new graduate school for business at UT Austin. These will include a real estate lab to support experiential learning projects, practicums and events, as well as any additional “theory-to-practice” rooms for use by graduate business students, faculty members and corporate partners.

“Being a graduate of the McCombs School of Business has been extremely meaningful to my career,” Goff says. “I am thrilled to make this gift to enhance the real estate program at McCombs. Jay’s personal background and passion for real estate were catalysts in my decision, and collectively we intend to make this the No. 1 ranked real estate program in the country.”

In late spring of 2015, a group of real estate finance Texas MBA candidates approached Goff with a feasibility study to expand the Real Estate Investment Fund. Hartzell accompanied the students to Fort Worth to pitch their idea to Goff directly.

“John is a legend,” says Scott Sowanick, one of the five Texas MBA candidates to pitch the idea. “Meeting and talking with him about our idea was an incredible honor.”

Although the original group of students that helped conceive the idea for the fund has graduated, they remain in contact with the school and Goff.

“John Goff embodies Texas real estate and everything that a student of real estate aspires to be,” Sowanick adds. “To have an individual of his stature and pedigree take the real estate fund to the next level couldn’t have been scripted any better.”

Send PM
Tuck School Names New Executive Director of Admissions, Financial Aid [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Stacy Blackman Consulting Blog: Tuck School Names New Executive Director of Admissions, Financial Aid

After a three month search, Dartmouth’s Tuck School of Business has named Luke Anthony Peña as its new Executive Director of Admissions and Financial Aid, the school announced today.  He succeeds Dawna Clarke, who stepped down in late 2016 after 11 years as director of admissions.

In this role, Peña will lead the school’s admissions and financial aid teams and develop and implement strategies for recruiting, selecting, and enrolling MBA candidates who will thrive in Tuck’s distinctly immersive learning community.

Peña holds a joint MBA/MA Education degree from the Stanford Graduate School of Business and a BS in Business Administration and BA in Public Relations from the University of Southern California.

Peña previously served as director of MBA admissions at the Stanford Graduate School of Business, where he led its marketing and recruitment teams, and managed all external outreach including events, online programming, and social media.

Luke’s expertise in MBA admissions will ensure Tuck is successful in welcoming even more of best and brightest students into our community, says Tuck School Dean Matthew Slaughter.

At Stanford GSB, he introduced and implemented data analytics to enhance recruitment and yield efforts, and created digital resources to improve relationship management with both alumni ambassadors and prospective students.

A 2012 GSB graduate, Peña was previously associate director of MBA admissions, and also worked as assistant director of admissions at the USC Annenberg School for Communication and Journalism prior to joining the Stanford admissions team.

“Tuck is unparalleled in its commitment to creating and cultivating a distinctly immersive, intimate, and collaborative environment for leadership development,” says Peña. “As a community builder, you dream of partnering with alumni, students, staff, and faculty who invest in supporting and challenging one another, and in advancing Tuck’s mission to better the world of business. I am enthusiastically looking forward to deepening relationships with current and future members of this community.”

He begins his new appointment July 18.

Send PM
Paying for a Harvard MBA [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Stacy Blackman Consulting Blog: Paying for a Harvard MBA

In his recent update to the Director’s Blog, Harvard Business School‘s head of admissions and financial aid Chad Losee shared a few important points of how financial aid works at HBS. The inspiration for the post came after attending the school’s annual “Fellowship Dinner” for current students who have received need-based aid to study and the donors who make it possible.

“I intellectually know that 50% of all HBS students receive an average fellowship of $74,000 over the two years (money that doesn’t need to be paid back), ” Losee writes, “But seeing everyone together—filling up three basketball courts in the HBS gym (Shad Hall)—I was struck by how many people’s lives are impacted for good.”

Alumni donations to HBS don’t go into a large pot to be divided up among students with need, Losee explains, adding that fellowships are not provided as an anonymous way of discounting tuition for some students.  “The funds are real money from real people, and each donor’s contribution goes to a specific student,” he explained.

“At the Fellowship Dinner, those giving and those receiving sit next to one another, and students are able to personally thank their benefactors. At my table last night, I saw great conversations, genuine heartfelt gratitude, and budding mentor relationships take hold. It was moving,” he shared.

“These are busy people with busy lives all over the world,” Losee writes, “But here they are on campus to support these students. Many were fellowship recipients themselves as HBS students and feel an enduring connection to the School.”

Cash-strapped applicants can take heart when they hear what Harvard Business School dean Nitin Nohria said in this Bloomberg interview in 2015: “What we’re looking for is the brightest people with great leadership potential. And I promise you, if you apply to Harvard Business School you will be able to attend irrespective of your financial needs.”

Some very worthy applicants become scared off of applying to a school of this caliber for fear that the expense will be too great to bear. Losee’s post therefore is extremely important to keep qualified candidates from self-selecting out of the HBS applicant pool next season.

For more information about the financial aid process at Harvard Business School, take a look at this webinar on the school’s website.

Image credit: Chris Han (CC BY-NC-SA 2.0)
Send PM
Plan Now to Leave Enough Time in Round 1 [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Stacy Blackman Consulting Blog: Plan Now to Leave Enough Time in Round 1
In high school or college—or maybe even recently on an important project at work—you might have been able to wait until the last minute to do something and still come out looking like a champ. But we can assure you that won’t be the case for anything having to do with your MBA application efforts. Procrastinating is a sure-fire way to weaken your materials.

Early in any candidate’s MBA journey comes preparation for the GMAT or GRE. If you believe you can wing this critical piece of the process, think again. Studying for these tests usually requires months of effort—as well as leaving enough time for a “do-over” if your first attempt doesn’t go so well.

Same thing applies for your resume, essays and data forms. You can’t just throw these things together as the clock ticks down. They require a lot of upfront thought and several rounds of edits in order to ensure your unique voice is coming through.

While this comes much later in the process, preparing for an interview is similar: if you don’t practice at all until the night before, you’re bound to realize you aren’t quite as smooth as you hoped you’d be. Then you’re either going to stay up late to work on your responses or not be able to sleep because you’ll be so worried about your upcoming performance. Neither helps put you in the best frame of mind when it’s “go time.”

And if you don’t do thorough research on two or more programs you’ve been accepted to and make your final decision on a whim or gut feeling . . . well, that could be a multi-thousand-dollar mistake. Enough said!

So if you are going to apply to business school this application year, do yourself a favor and ensure you have ample time to complete each part of the process. Start clearing your schedule over the coming months to ensure you’ll have enough time to pull together quality materials. Daily progress—no matter how minimal—is much better than attempting to do everything right before the deadlines hit.

Think of it this way:

Until next time,

The team at Stacy Blackman Consulting

***Do you want to stay on top of the application process with timely tips like these? Please subscribe to our weekly newsletter and you’ll receive our expert advice straight in your mailbox before it appears on the blog, plus special offers, promotions, discounts, invitations to events, and more.

Send PM
NYU Stern Launches Two New One-Year Programs: Tech MBA, Fashion & Luxu [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Stacy Blackman Consulting Blog: NYU Stern Launches Two New One-Year Programs: Tech MBA, Fashion & Luxury MBA

New York University’s Stern School of Business is launching a new category of specialized MBA, optimized for MBA seekers who are firmly committed to business careers either in technology or in fashion and luxury. Both programs will enable students to build applicable knowledge, gain relevant real-world experience and earn their MBA in one year.

Raghu Sundaram, Vice Dean for MBA Programs and Online Learning, says, “These new MBAs provide broad exposure to core business areas with a depth of focus on the specialty area through an efficient schedule, reducing the opportunity cost with a more affordable MBA option.”

The program structure consists of four components: a business core; a technology or fashion and luxury core; real-world experiential learning projects with organizations in the respective specialty areas; and electives. With real-world business projects an essential element of the curriculum, Stern is elevating its commitment to experiential learning and branding it Stern Solutions.

The Tech MBA is designed for business candidates with strong technology backgrounds and will prepare students to advance their careers in Product Management, FinTech and Tech Entrepreneurship across various industries.

The program’s tech core was designed in partnership with NYU’s Courant Institute of Mathematical Sciences. NYU Stern is itself home to one of the largest faculty of computer and data scientists among business schools and will bring all these strengths to bear in the Tech MBA.

Stern is the first US business school to offer a Fashion & Luxury MBA.

Over the past several years, the fashion and luxury industries have increasingly acknowledged the competitive advantage of adding business-educated talent to their creative ranks especially in the face of technological disruption.

This program is designed for students with a commitment to management roles throughout these sectors—accessories, apparel, beauty, jewelry, high-end automotive, fine wines and spirits, real estate, wearable tech and more. They will also have access to the Stern Fashion Lab, a new central hub being established for industry-related projects and networking for all Stern students.

“Because we sit in the heart of the business ecosystem that is New York City, with global headquarters and new economy upstarts just outside our doors, we are in constant conversation with industry about developing future talent,” said Peter Henry, Dean of NYU Stern. “This dialogue drives continuous innovation at Stern […] so we stay as relevant to the new economy as we are to Wall Street.”

The inaugural classes for the Tech MBA and Fashion & Luxury MBA will enroll at Stern in May 2018. Students will take 51 credits over 12 months and earn an MBA degree from Stern in one year.

Send PM
NYU Stern School of Business Fall 2018 MBA Application Deadlines [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Stacy Blackman Consulting Blog: NYU Stern School of Business Fall 2018 MBA Application Deadlines

The Stern School of Business at New York University has announced the following MBA application deadlines for the 2017-2018 admissions cycle. The application itself is undergoing annual updates and the essay questions will be posted shortly.

Round 1
Application due: October 15, 2017

Decision released: January 1, 2018

Round 2
Application due: January 15, 2018

Decision released: April 1, 2018

Round 3
Application due: March 15, 2018

Decision released: June 1, 2018

All applications must be submitted by 11:59 p.m. Eastern Time on the day of the deadline to be considered in that round. International applicants are encouraged to apply earlier in the application cycle to facilitate visa arrangements and to have priority consideration for off-site interviews, if desired.

Send PM
Columbia Business School Fall 2018 MBA Application Deadlines [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Stacy Blackman Consulting Blog: Columbia Business School Fall 2018 MBA Application Deadlines

Columbia Business School has announced the following MBA application deadlines for the 2017-2018 admissions season.

August Entry
Early Decision Deadline: October 4, 2017

Merit Based Fellowship Deadline: January 5, 2018

Regular Decision Deadline: April 11, 2018

J-Term
Application Deadline: October 4, 2017

Students may enroll in either August or January. The CBS admissions website notes that the paths are identical in terms of competitiveness of admissions, academic rigor, and student resources, but they differ in terms of timing and the opportunity to complete a summer internship.

The August entry has two review periods — early decision and regular decision. Because CBS uses a rolling admissions process, it is always to your advantage to apply well before the deadline.

All applications are due at 11:59 p.m. EST on the day of the deadline.

For additional information, please visit the Columbia’s MBA admissions website.

Send PM
Columbia Business School Fall 2018 MBA Essay Questions [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Stacy Blackman Consulting Blog: Columbia Business School Fall 2018 MBA Essay Questions

Columbia Business School has announced the following revised MBA application essays for the 2017-2018 admissions cycle.

Essays
Goal: What is your immediate post-MBA professional goal? (50 characters)

Essay #1: Through your resume and recommendations, we have a clear sense of your professional path to date. What are your career goals over the next 3 – 5 years and what, in your imagination, would be your long-term dream job? (500 words)

Essay #2: The full-time MBA experience includes academics, recruiting and networking. What are your personal priorities and how do you anticipate allocating your time at Columbia Business School? (250 words)

EMBA Essay #2: Columbia Business School’s Executive MBA will challenge you by offering a rigorous academic experience, global exposure through the international seminar, and the opportunity to immediately apply what you learn to your career. How will you approach balancing the demands of the program with your professional and personal life while you are in school? (250 words)

Essay #3: Please select and answer one of the following essay questions: (250 words)

a: Please tell us what you feel most passionate about in life.

b: If you were given a free day and could spend it anywhere, in any way you choose, what would you do?

Optional Essay: Is there any further information that you wish to provide the Admissions Committee? If so, please use this space to provide an explanation of any areas of concern in your academic record or your personal history. You may submit bullet points. (Maximum 500 words)

The MBA application to Columbia Business School will go live on Monday, May 15th. Please visit the CBS admissions website for more information.

Send PM
Submitting Your MBA Application in Round 1 or Round 2 [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Stacy Blackman Consulting Blog: Submitting Your MBA Application in Round 1 or Round 2

Maybe you think you’re too old, or too young for an MBA. Maybe you need more extracurricular activities or to increase your quant skills. Or maybe the stars are aligned and you’re ready to apply this year for entry in Fall 2018. Regardless of your situation, if you’re starting your application now, one of your first decisions is whether to try for Round 1 deadlines or wait for Round 2.

Take a moment to consider our former client Michael, who was working with one of our experienced consultants on his Stanford Graduate School of Business and Harvard Business School applications when I was asked to take a look at his essays and provide a second opinion with approximately two weeks left before his round one deadlines.

Michael had several great stories about his achievements at work, his unique family background, and his extensive volunteer activities. He had a lot of great raw material in his essays, but it needed a bit more polishing to really shine. After conferring with Michael’s primary consultant, we decided that though Michael strongly preferred to apply in Round 1, our professional advice was to apply in Round 2.

If you can apply in Round 1 there are definitely advantages for you personally. You have more time to prepare for school. You have less uncertainty around winter vacation time. And you can start networking with your classmates early. If you have a solid application ready to submit in October, it’s an excellent time to do so. One advantage we don’t necessarily see is an increase in your chances of admission.

It’s true that less people are ready to apply in Round 1. At the same time, the most prepared applicants are applying in Round 1. These are the people who beat the GMAT months ago and have been prepping their recommenders all summer. Or, they might be reapplicants who have already been through the process once. In our experience these factors tend to balance themselves out, and so we advise that our clients apply in the round that allows them to put together their best possible application.

Michael took our advice and spent another three weeks polishing his essays and preparing his recommenders to write great letters for him. That extra preparation paid off; he was admitted to HBS in Round 2.

The truth is that the admissions committees know what they are looking for. They’ve become pretty good at estimating numbers, and evaluating and accepting applicants that fit their criteria. The best strategy is not to play the game of which round, but to submit your application as soon as, but not until, it is ready.

Send PM
Wharton School Fall 2018 MBA Application Deadlines [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Stacy Blackman Consulting Blog: Wharton School Fall 2018 MBA Application Deadlines

The University of Pennsylvania’s Wharton School has announced the following full-time MBA application deadlines for the 2017-2018 admissions season.

Round 1
Application due: September 19, 2017

Decision released: December 14, 2017

Round 2
Application due: January 3, 2018

Decision released: March 29, 2018

Round 3
Application due: March 27, 2018

Decision released: May 10, 2018

To be considered for a round, candidates must submit a completed application by 5 p.m. Eastern Time (ET) on the day of the deadline. If you need to apply for a student visa to study in the United States, Wharton recommends that you apply in Round 1 or 2. For more information, please visit the Wharton School MBA admissions website.

Send PM
Keep 3 Goals in Mind During MBA Admit Weekends [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Stacy Blackman Consulting Blog: Keep 3 Goals in Mind During MBA Admit Weekends

This post originally appeared on Stacy’s “Strictly Business” MBA Blog on U.S.News.
If you’re an MBA candidate who has received multiple offers of admission to business school this season, congratulations are in order. Countless individuals wish they were in your shoes right now, so take a few moments to celebrate this impressive achievement.

Assuming you only applied to business schools that truly interested you, you now have a tough decision. How should you determine where to spend the next two years of your life – not to mention hundreds of thousands of dollars?

Step one is to attend each program’s admit or welcome weekend. Spending time on campus around current students and other admitted applicants will go a long way in helping you decide which program is the better fit.

In addition to paying close attention to your overall gut feeling about the culture and energy on campus, you should keep these three goals top of mind during these events.

Goal 1: Network with potential future classmates. [/b]A hugely valuable component of an MBA program is that, over the next two years, you’ll create a network you will tap into for the rest of your career. Also, the intense nature of the business school experience bonds students and makes it a wonderful place to make lifelong friends.

During a welcome weekend, gauge your comfort level with the current students. How do you feel about your potential future classmates? Did you develop a nice rapport with any fellow attendees? Did you meet someone who could be a possible roommate, if you are looking for one?

While you’ll likely gravitate toward people with similar professional or cultural backgrounds at this type of event, take advantage of the fact that your possible future cohort is an extremely diverse group. By making an effort to meet people outside of your comfort zone, your admit weekend experience will be greatly enriched.

Goal 2: Learn all you can about student life. [/b]Of course, you already conducted exhaustive research about your target schools during the course of your applications and interviews, but now that you’re admitted, bring on the questions.

This is your chance to find out answers to all of the lingering doubts in your mind. Ask tons of questions about clubs, classes, favorite professors, travel opportunities and study abroad programs from current students who can fill in those remaining blanks.

Think of questions in advance and do a bit of research so that you know if there’s someone you want to talk with, a meeting you want to set up or a location you want to explore. Keep your interests and passions at the forefront of your mind during the visit to make absolutely sure the school in question can satisfy your nonnegotiable needs and wants.

If possible, stay in student dorms during your visit. Even if you have other housing plans, this is another valuable opportunity to meet current students and observe daily life on campus up close.

Goal 3: Get an authentic sense of the city or region.[/b] Candidates often apply to business schools in geographic areas that are new to them. Think about where you want to end up working after graduation.

Is the program in your desired city – or at least in the same overall region? Does it have a reputation for helping its students land jobs in the area you want to live?

Use this visit to get a better feel for housing options, too. Explore the neighborhoods where students live, and ask questions to clarify anything you would want to know before moving to a new city.

If location isn’t a major concern, then focus on what does matter most to you, whether that’s recruitment stats for certain industries, diversity or international opportunities. More than likely you reviewed all of this information when you were deciding where to apply in the first place, but now it warrants a second, closer look.

For applicants attending admitted student days at more than one program, go with an open mind and be prepared to reflect on the experience afterward. If you have already accepted an offer and visited the campus prior to admission, still attend the welcome weekend event and experience the school again without the anxiety you probably felt last time, particularly if your visit was for an interview.

The decision where to attend business school are personal, and every candidate has unique needs to fulfill. Use the preview weekend visit to make sure that you’ve found the right school for you.

Image credit: Flickr user Andrés García (CC BY-NC 2.0)

Send PM
Don’t Play it Safe in Your MBA Application [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Stacy Blackman Consulting Blog: Don’t Play it Safe in Your MBA Application
As you begin to work on your Round 1 MBA materials, we have some advice for you: don’t try to be “Joe MBA.”

One of the biggest mistakes we see applicants make is assuming that the surest route to business school admission is playing it safe and doing what “everyone else” does. We hear things like, “Well my friend went to Stanford and he wrote about how he wanted to launch a start-up, so I’m going to say that, too.” Or, “My co-worker who got into Kellogg last year isn’t that different from me, so if she says my materials are fine then I should probably shouldn’t change anything.”

Remember: no two people are the same, and that’s a good thing! The key to a successful MBA application is showing exactly what you—and nobody else but you—can bring to the program. So please don’t be afraid to let your originality and your true personality come through in your materials.

On that same note, if you honestly tend to spew out multiple three- and four-syllable words in a normal conversation, then it’s fine to do so in your essays. But if you have a trusted friend review what you’ve written and they remark that it sounds nothing like you, that’s a red flag. Did you include a bunch of “big words”—or worse, buzzwords and industry jargon—because you thought it would make you sound like a dream candidate? We’d suggest making your responses less formal and having your friend review them again to ensure your unique voice is represented.

Here’s an easy way to judge whether or not you’re on the right track: read over your materials and ask if you’d want to be in class with yourself. Are you coming across as someone who’s interesting, has a lot to share with others, and would be a great addition to any MBA program? Or do you sound like Joe MBA—accomplished, sure . . . but also pretty darn boring.

Think of it this way:

Do you want to stay on top of the application process with timely tips like these? Please subscribe to our weekly newsletter and you’ll receive our expert advice straight in your mailbox before it appears on the blog, plus special offers, promotions, discounts, invitations to events, and more.

Send PM
Yale SOM Fall 2018 MBA Application Deadlines [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Stacy Blackman Consulting Blog: Yale SOM Fall 2018 MBA Application Deadlines

The Yale School of Management has posted the following MBA application deadlines for the 2017-2018 admissions season.

Round 1
Application due: September 13, 2017

Decision released: December 6, 2017

Round 2
Application due: January 4, 2018

Decision released: March 27, 2018

Round 3
Application due: April 18, 2018

Decision released: May 17, 2018

Applicants should note there is no difference between Rounds 1 and 2 in terms of selectivity, though Yale SOM states it may be more difficult to be admitted in Round 3, where space availability may become an issue.

For more information, please visit the Yale SOM admissions website.

Send PM
Yale SOM Fall 2018 MBA Essay Question [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Stacy Blackman Consulting Blog: Yale SOM Fall 2018 MBA Essay Question

Bruce DelMonico, assistant dean of admissions at the Yale School of Management, has previewed the required essay for the Fall 2018 full-time MBA application. It remains unchanged from last year’s prompt.

Required Essay Question
Describe the biggest commitment you have ever made. (500 words maximum)

“In asking this question, the Admissions Committee is interested not just in the commitment itself but also in how you approach the commitment and the behaviors that support it,” DelMonico writes.

Yale SOM will continue to maintain the sliding-scale application fee structure this upcoming season, which ties your application fee to your annual compensation.  “The sliding-scale fee helps us attract diverse applicants from all over the world, including those from geographies and industries where compensation tends to be lower,” DelMonico explains.

For more information, please visit the Yale SOM admissions website.

Send PM
The Bigger Picture: How To Get It All Done [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Stacy Blackman Consulting Blog: The Bigger Picture: How To Get It All Done
Over the past 15 years, I have become a Master Juggler. As both a mother and a business owner, I balance commitments such as business travel, all-team meetings and strategic planning with chaperoning field trips, summer camp registration, carpool and birthday party planning. Plus, I have a husband, friends, extended family and a personal life. That’s a lot of balls in the air. I am often asked: “How do you get it all done? How do you accomplish absolutely everything!?”

I don’t know the answer to that question because I don’t do everything. Not even close.

The way that I get my stuff done is by not trying, not wanting, to do it all.

There is so, so much that I do not do. I’m not referring to delegating many tasks in my personal and professional life, (although delegation is essential and something I have learned to rely on over time.)

What I am talking about is saying no. Before you download a new time-management app or read one more article with tips to get organized, shift your focus. Instead of trying to get more done, give yourself less to do. It’s like my son’s bedroom: instead of organizing his piles of crap, we first need to sort through it and discard about half of it. That will simplify the organizing process.

Many years ago, SBC was a one woman show. I managed every function in the company, from reconciling bank statements to managing Google Ads to processing all orders. The company was growing and I was pulling many all-nighters, just trying to keep up. Finally, my husband intervened and showed me how to cut an 11-step process down to six steps. It turned out that I was doing a lot of unnecessary work. Instead of finding the time to get through all 11 steps, we said no to several steps, and that’s how I bought myself time.

When it comes to personal and professional obligations or requests from others, I must admit, saying “no” is hard for me. I don’t like to upset anyone, burn bridges or decline meaningful opportunities. Last week I decided to step down from my high school alumni council, walking away from a second three-year term. It’s a limited time commitment, a lot of fun and I enjoy the connection to my alma mater. But I had to say no, because these minor commitments add up and take me away from my priorities. I often run through my to-do list (which is the backbone of my organizational system) and cross items off the list as I decide they aren’t essential. That’s certainly a quick and easy way to “get things done!”

To say no, I must be very clear about my priorities (realizing that they change over time), and embrace events and commitments that make the most sense for me in the context of my schedule and personal plans. Like anything, it takes practice and there is no perfect. However, having “no” as a viable option is an important tool to leverage when trying to get it “all” done.

We all have the same 24 hours in a day. How is it that some people get so much more done than others? Perhaps they aren’t getting more done. Perhaps they are focused on getting the right things done.

What do you think? Are there things that you can eliminate from your to do list, in order to make room for what really matters to you? I’d love to hear your thoughts. Email me at bigpicture@StacyBlackman.com.

Cheers,

P.S. If you are interested in additional big picture reflections and tips, check out my first and second Bigger Picture posts.

P.P.S. By the way, fun family time is absolutely something I say YES to. Here’s a clip from my family’s recent Spring Break trip to Japan:

GMAT Club Bot
The Bigger Picture: How To Get It All Done [#permalink]
   1  ...  48   49   50   51   52  ...  139