Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 17:20 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 17:20

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [1]
Given Kudos: 39
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [3]
Given Kudos: 24
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 3803 [2]
Given Kudos: 182
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 540 Q45 V20
GPA: 2.49
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 3803 [1]
Send PM
Re: 26.06.17- Started my journey towards GMAT [#permalink]
Kudos
tatz wrote:
Sammy599 wrote:
Hi Tatz,

First of all, welcome to GMAT Club! 3 months is a good amount of time to prepare, and you can definitely get that score up to by a respectable amount. By the looks of it, you struggle with verbal more than quant so the scope for improvement is immense. One way or the other, the verbal score indirectly carries a larger weightage on the whole so working hard on your verbal section can lead to a good jump in your score. For someone who is just starting off, I would suggest getting your hands on the MGMAT Guides and making the most of the resources these forums make available to you.

I wish you the best of luck for your MBA journey that lies ahead!

If you thought my comment was helpful, please don't forget to kit the Kudos button.

Thanks Sammy for giving me hope.
I just finished listening to one of the good videos by Byju's. They have advertised there product at the end but initial overview about GMAT and its scope is good.
youtube . com/watch?v=RBm_C0v6gGY&list=UUkDw-LPU1Nnd2WRsfnDbUcA&index=455

Hi tatz,

This is my personal opinion that Byju's GMAT course is not that good. Please research well about the courses/prices/study plans etc. and then choose. Consider suggestions and reviews about the courses on gmatclub.

Do not rush into buying a course!! Time is really important than money.

If you have any question please ask here or PM me :)

Hope it helps :)
Retired Moderator
Send PM
Kudos
Get your egmat subscription extended.
Add Gmatclub CATs to your prep. Gmatclub QUANTS CATs are a must and best as well.
To learn the really basic concepts go through all the MGMAT guides.
Watch RON's videos to understand concepts well (best in verbal).

Here is the order in which you should learn:
1. Learn a concept
2. Practice questions from course/Mgmat guides AND THEN practice from official guides
3. keep updating error log
4. take a mock CAT (at a an specific interval). So if you have taken MGMAT-1 & MGMAT-2 then third CAT should be GMATprep CAT (you have 6 CAT in total)

Just remember whenever you do an official question do a thorough analysis and note down learnings and mistakes you made for this question. Keep a column in error log for this.

Learn - practice - review - cat - review

I will update my answer with links where you can practice questions from in Gmatclub.

Feel very free to ask more questions at any time. Would be glad to help.

Yes I used byju's. It's waste of time and money (my opinion it is).

A course can help us get to a certain score but above that only our planning, reviewing, research and practice will take us.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [1]
Given Kudos: 24
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
Send PM
Kudos
tatz wrote:
HKD1710 wrote:
tatz wrote:
I just finished listening to one of the good videos by Byju's. They have advertised there product at the end but initial overview about GMAT and its scope is good.

Hi Tatz

This is my personal opinion that Byju's GMAT course is not that good. Please research well about the courses/prices/study plans etc. and then choose. Consider suggestions and reviews about the courses on gmatclub.

Hi HKD,

The explanation in free videos looked good and they are offering complete package for IR, Verbal, Quant. The course is having an analysis tool in there tablet which will let me know why I am making a mistake and how to correct it. They are starting with basics of both quant and verbal, which I want to learn.

By saying that "Time is important than money" , do you mean to say that the course is time consuming ? What issues do you see with the Byju's course ? Please elaborate.
Also, did you try the full course ?

Earlier, I had purchased eGMAT's course only for verbal. But the validity of course expired before i could complete it. I was preparing that time with slow pace. I can get that course extended. So, what's your suggestion ? eGMAT or Byju;s ?

Thanks.

Hi,

Just to add a point, I would suggest you stick to sources which have experience with the GMAT. It's reported that GMAC spends over a thousand dollars per question, and there is a particular "style" that they have. This becomes even more relevant on the verbal section in which identification of that "style" can allow you to eliminate options. Wordiness and Concision will be words you come across a lot in your prep, and to develop an aptitude to identify these correctly, you must use sentences structured like they would be on the actual exam.

This is one of the reasons all experts give importance to the OG! It's the only source of official questions. Having said this, I am in no manner commenting on the teaching standards of Byju's. I am just trying to point out that the GMAT is a standardized exam and that those who are familiar with its "system" offer a better value proposition. The GMAT is not only an exam of aptitude but also fatigue management, pace management, method optimization, etc., so please keep these in mind while deciding on how to take your prep forward.

Best of luck!

If you thought my response was helpful, please don't forget to hit the kudos button.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [1]
Send PM
26.06.17- Started my journey towards GMAT [#permalink]
Kudos
Hi,

Just to add a point, I would suggest you stick to sources which have experience with the GMAT. It's reported that GMAC spends over a thousand dollars per question, and there is a particular "style" that they have. This becomes even more relevant on the verbal section in which identification of that "style" can allow you to eliminate options. Wordiness and Concision will be words you come across a lot in your prep, and to develop an aptitude to identify these correctly, you must use sentences structured like they would be on the actual exam.

This is one of the reasons all experts give importance to the OG! It's the only source of official questions. Having said this, I am in no manner commenting on the teaching standards of Byju's. I am just trying to point out that the GMAT is a standardized exam and that those who are familiar with its "system" offer a better value proposition. The GMAT is not only an exam of aptitude but also fatigue management, pace management, method optimization, etc., so please keep these in mind while deciding on how to take your prep forward.

Best of luck!

If you thought my response was helpful, please don't forget to hit the kudos button.[/quote]

Hi Sammy

Thanks for your response.

HKD1710 has also suggested to go ahead with extending my eGMAT subscription. FYIP - I had taken eGMAT subscription last year but couldnt complete before it expiry date. There is an option of extending the same. So, I am going ahead with its extension.

1) Whats your advise on quant ? What should be my starting point ? Any suggested course or I should just do self preparation ?
I can do self preparation but I am unaware of shortcut / tricks to solve it easily and fast like one in a video I saw yesterday. The trick was "Grid" method for solving quant questions instead of Venn Diagram. When four variables are involved the Venn diagram methods becomes tough.
2) What was your GMAT score and what strategy did you follow or following ?
3) Your target colleges ?

Thanks
Tatz
Retired Moderator
Send PM
Kudos
tatz wrote:
Dear All,

As i had mentioned in my post that i will be appearing for GMAT exam in another 03 months, I appeared for it and as expected ended up screwing up everything. The reason was half hearted effort. Just one day before my GMAT Exam I was enjoying holiday as I was aware of the result. Anyways, I have re-started my GMAT preparation again with much more determination this time. Hoping to complete my preparation by July 2018. Please wish me consistence, patience and regular devoted study.

Regards
Tatz

Be consistent - it's the mother of all the motivation, confidence, knowledge or whatever.

Wishes!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Send PM
Sammy599 wrote:
Hi Tatz,

First of all, welcome to GMAT Club! 3 months is a good amount of time to prepare, and you can definitely get that score up to by a respectable amount. By the looks of it, you struggle with verbal more than quant so the scope for improvement is immense. One way or the other, the verbal score indirectly carries a larger weightage on the whole so working hard on your verbal section can lead to a good jump in your score. For someone who is just starting off, I would suggest getting your hands on the MGMAT Guides and making the most of the resources these forums make available to you.

If you thought my comment was helpful, please don't forget to kit the Kudos button.

Intern
Intern
Send PM
HKD1710 wrote:
tatz wrote:
Sammy599 wrote:
Hi Tatz,

Hi Tatz

Hi HKD,

The explanation in free videos looked good and they are offering complete package for IR, Verbal, Quant. The course is having an analysis tool in there tablet which will let me know why I am making a mistake and how to correct it. They are starting with basics of both quant and verbal, which I want to learn.

By saying that "Time is important than money" , do you mean to say that the course is time consuming ? What issues do you see with the Byju's course ? Please elaborate.
Also, did you try the full course ?

Earlier, I had purchased eGMAT's course only for verbal. But the validity of course expired before i could complete it. I was preparing that time with slow pace. I can get that course extended. So, what's your suggestion ? eGMAT or Byju;s ?

Thanks.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
26.06.17- Started my journey towards GMAT [#permalink]
HKD1710 wrote:
Get your egmat subscription extended.
Add Gmatclub CATs to your prep. Gmatclub QUANTS CATs are a must and best as well.
To learn the really basic concepts go through all the MGMAT guides.
Watch RON's videos to understand concepts well (best in verbal).

Here is the order in which you should learn:
1. Learn a concept
2. Practice questions from course/Mgmat guides AND THEN practice from official guides
3. keep updating error log
4. take a mock CAT (at a an specific interval). So if you have taken MGMAT-1 & MGMAT-2 then third CAT should be GMATprep CAT (you have 6 CAT in total)

Just remember whenever you do an official question do a thorough analysis and note down learnings and mistakes you made for this question. Keep a column in error log for this.

Learn - practice - review - cat - review

I will update my answer with links where you can practice questions from in Gmatclub.

Feel very free to ask more questions at any time. Would be glad to help.

Yes I used byju's. It's waste of time and money (my opinion it is).

A course can help us get to a certain score but above that only our planning, reviewing, research and practice will take us.

Posted from my mobile device

Hi HKD

Thanks alot for the guidance. I will extend the eGMAT subscription as suggested by you.

Few more queries,
1) Any idea how much will it cost for gmat club CATs (complete tests) and how many CATs they offer in a package.
2) MGMAT offers 02 free CATs and 02 free CATs from GMAT prep software. But you have told total of 06 CATs. How?
3) MGMAT books are pretty costly. Is it complete book for both Quant & Verbal ?
4) For verbal, I will follow eGMAT course + OG. For quant, what should be my starting point / course / guide that will help me in covering the whole gmat syllabus.
5) Just curious to know your GMAT score. Can you inform the same? What strategy you are following, if any ?

Thanks
Tatz

Originally posted by tatz on 29 Jun 2017, 08:55.
Last edited by tatz on 29 Jun 2017, 09:17, edited 2 times in total.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi All,

Didnot touch GMAT material since 01st July. Now its been three days of no study. Today I will be starting the Reading comprehension again. I will keep you all updated about my progress. So that in the end we would come to know what worked or not worked fro me.

Tatz
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Dear All,

As i had mentioned in my post that i will be appearing for GMAT exam in another 03 months, I appeared for it and as expected ended up screwing up everything. The reason was half hearted effort. Just one day before my GMAT Exam I was enjoying holiday as I was aware of the result. Anyways, I have re-started my GMAT preparation again with much more determination this time. Hoping to complete my preparation by July 2018. Please wish me consistence, patience and regular devoted study.

Regards
Tatz
Intern
Intern
Send PM
HKD1710 wrote:
tatz wrote:
Dear All,

Regards
Tatz

Be consistent - it's the mother of all the motivation, confidence, knowledge or whatever.

Wishes!

Thanks HKD for your wishes and guidance as always!!!
Hope to clear GMAT this time
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37310 posts