Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 03:43 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 03:43

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32931 [4]
Given Kudos: 5778
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 208 [6]
Given Kudos: 132
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 650 Q50 V28 (Online)
GMAT 2: 700 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.23
WE:General Management (Real Estate)
Send PM
General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 398 [1]
Given Kudos: 120
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
GPA: 4
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 281 [1]
Given Kudos: 80
Send PM
Re: The 35-millimeter (mm) format for movie production became a de facto [#permalink]
Kudos
1. It can be inferred from the information in the passage that wide-film formats were

(A) in use before 1913. The passage states that "The mid-1920s through the mid-1930s saw a resurgence of wide-film formats". Thus, the wide-filn formats were in use before 1913.
(B) not used during the 1940s. - Not mentioned in the passage.
(C) more widely used during the 1920s than during the 1930s. - The relative popularity of wide-firm formats in the 1920s and 1930s has not been discussed.
(D) not used after 1956. - Though new technologies and formats came up by 1956, we don't know for sure whether the wild-firm formats was totally done away with.
(E) more widely used for some types of movies than for others. - Not stated in the passage.

2. The passage mentions all the following as factors contributing to the increased use of wide-film formats for moviemaking EXCEPT:

(A) spherical camera lenses. The spherical lenses corrected the problem that plagued the CinemaScope films. This does not mean that these lenses increased the use of wide-film formats. This is the correct choice.
(B) Panavision’s Camera 65. This is also a factor as stated in second last line of Para 1.
(C) television. "wide-screen film-making came back in direct response to the erosion of box-office receipts because of the rising popularity of television". Thus, increased use of wide-film formats was due to television.
(D) anamorphic camera lenses. - The second paragraph states that anamorphic camera lenses heavily improved the wild-film formats. Thus, this is also a factor affecting its popularity.
(E) movie theater revenues. - The passage talks about erosion of box office receipts, which also means that the overall revenue declined. Thus, this is also a factor affecting the increased use of wide-film formats.

3. Which of the following statements is most strongly supported by the passage’s information?

We need to study each statement and determine which one is most strongly supported by the information given in the passage.

(A) If a movie does not suffer from the “fat faces” syndrome, then it was not produced in a wide-film format. - The passage states that "fat faces" syndrome was a problem in CinemaScope films, which was a type of wide-film format. But there can be other types of wide-film formats that don't have this problem. In that case, this statement does not hold true.
(B) Prior to the invention of the 35mm anamorphic lens, quality larger prints could not be made from smaller negatives. - The passage states that "film technology improved to the point where quality 70mm prints could be blown up from 35mm negatives". But what if prior to this invention, 70mm prints could be blown up from 50mm negatives? Also, it says that the technology improved, not that a new tech was introduced. In that case, the quality larger prints could be made from smaller negatives right? We don't have sufficient information to rule out this possibility.
(C) The same factors that contributed to the resurgence of wide-film formats in the 1950s also led to the subsequent decline in their use. Subsequent decline in sue of wide-film formats is not discussed in the passage.
(D) The most significant developments in 35mm technology occurred after the release of Raintree County. Correct answer.
(E) Movie-theater revenues are not significantly affected by whether the movies shown are in wide-screen format. -Reason behind the decrease or increase in movie-theatre revenues is not discussed int he passage.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [1]
Given Kudos: 109
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GMAT 1: 510 Q26 V34
WE:Science (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Re: The 35-millimeter (mm) format for movie production became a de facto [#permalink]
Kudos
SajjadAhmad wrote:
nkhl.goyal wrote:
SajjadAhmad wrote:
OAs of this RC has been posted now. If anyone have any question kindly let me know.

1. A
2. D
3. B

Good work pabpinor.

Can you please paste OE for Q3?

Is this really a 600-700 level RC? I feel this should be 700 level RC.

Official Explanation

3. Which of the following statements is most strongly supported by the passage’s information?

Difficulty LeveL: 600

Explanation

The passage’s final sentence states that after the invention of the 35mm anamorphic lens, quality 70mm (larger) prints could be made from 35mm (smaller) negatives. It is reasonable to assume that larger prints could not be made from smaller negatives prior to that invention.

The correct answer is (B).

What makes A) wrong?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 269 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
GMAT 1: 580 Q42 V27
Send PM
Answers according to me ;
1.a
2.d
3.b
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32931 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
OAs of this RC has been posted now. If anyone have any question kindly let me know.

1. A
2. D
3. B

Good work pabpinor.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 178 [0]
Given Kudos: 186
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V36
WE:Consulting (Computer Software)
Send PM
SajjadAhmad wrote:

1. A
2. D
3. B

Good work pabpinor.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 208 [0]
Given Kudos: 132
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 650 Q50 V28 (Online)
GMAT 2: 700 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.23
WE:General Management (Real Estate)
Send PM
I think this is not 700], was quite straightforward and the answers are not subjective, maybe is because I know a bit about the technical side but for me was much more easy than other science or literature passages.
GRE Forum Moderator
Send PM
Expert Reply
nkhl.goyal wrote:
SajjadAhmad wrote:

1. A
2. D
3. B

Good work pabpinor.

Official Explanation

Explanation

The passage’s final sentence states that after the invention of the 35mm anamorphic lens, quality 70mm (larger) prints could be made from 35mm (smaller) negatives. It is reasonable to assume that larger prints could not be made from smaller negatives prior to that invention.

GRE Forum Moderator
Send PM
The 35-millimeter (mm) format for movie production became a de facto [#permalink]
Expert Reply
BlueBook wrote:
SajjadAhmad wrote:

Official Explanation

Explanation

Please read here reasoning by pabpinor and if you still didn't understand let me know then.

https://gmatclub.com/forum/the-35-milli ... l#p2490430

Regards
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13961 posts