Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 00:26 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 00:26

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 606 [0]
Given Kudos: 1063
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 606 [0]
Given Kudos: 1063
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 139
Send PM
Re: The Anasazi settlements at Chaco Canyon were built on a spectacular sc [#permalink]
Dear Experts, mikemcgarry CrackverbalGMAT

Could you please elaborate why (D) is wrong ? because of "and with" ?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 936
Schools: Alberta '23
GMAT 1: 610 Q49 V25
GPA: 3.33
Send PM
Re: The Anasazi settlements at Chaco Canyon were built on a spectacular sc [#permalink]
can a preposition follow verb ?? in this question in portion which is not underlined ,,,there is usage of 'on spectucular scale' after a verb is used .
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 1304 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
kakakakaak wrote:
can a preposition follow verb ?? in this question in portion which is not underlined ,,,there is usage of 'on spectucular scale' after a verb is used .

Shouldn't be a problem. For example: The hut was built ON grass.
Send PM
Expert Reply
kakakakaak wrote:

Hello kakakakaak,

We hope this finds you well.

To answer your query, prepositions can absolutely follow verbs; prepositions can be adjectival or adverbial, meaning they can modify both nouns and verbs.

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 126
Send PM
Isn't 'with' nonsensically modifying the spectacular scale here ?
Send PM
Expert Reply
akt715 wrote:
Isn't 'with' nonsensically modifying the spectacular scale here ?

Hello akt715,

To answer your query, this modification is actually perfectly logical; "with more than 75 carefully engineered structures" is providing information about the scale of the settlements.

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 409
Send PM
KarishmaB
Hi madam,

I want to know why is the following understanding of Option D wrong -

The Anasazi settlements at Chaco Canyon were built on a spectacular scale _of more than 75 carefully engineered structures of up to 600 rooms and with each_ connected by a complex regional system of roads.

||ism(proposition phrase - of up to 600 rooms and with each connected) since both the preposition phrase modify structures, the ambiguity that each modifies rooms or structures is also resolved. Then why is this option wrong? What is wrong in my understanding?
Send PM
Expert Reply
waytowharton wrote:
KarishmaB
Hi madam,

The Anasazi settlements at Chaco Canyon were built on a spectacular scale _of more than 75 carefully engineered structures of up to 600 rooms and with each_ connected by a complex regional system of roads.

||ism(proposition phrase - of up to 600 rooms and with each connected) since both the preposition phrase modify structures, the ambiguity that each modifies rooms or structures is also resolved. Then why is this option wrong? What is wrong in my understanding?

Hello waytowharton,

To answer your query, the structure of Option D is such that it is actually ambiguous whether "each connected..." refers to "structures" or "rooms".

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 207 [0]
Given Kudos: 189
Send PM
ExpertsGlobal5 wrote:
waytowharton wrote:
KarishmaB
Hi madam,

Hello waytowharton,

To answer your query, the structure of Option D is such that it is actually ambiguous whether "each connected..." refers to "structures" or "rooms".

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team

Hi ExpertsGlobal5 - I disagree

In (d) - remember we have an and

So the Y element is connected with the root phrase

(option D) The Anasazi settlements at Chaco Canyon were built on a spectacular scale with each connected by a complex regional system of roads.

with each connected by a complex regional system of roads. seems to refer to Anasazi settlements

I dont see what is wrong with Anasazi settlements being connected to each other by a complex regional system of roads
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 236
Concentration: Marketing, Operations
GPA: 3.36
Send PM
GMATNinja wrote:
In keeping with some of our other recent QOTDs (see all of the 2017 QOTDs here), this one is mostly about meaning, and mechanical grammar rules won’t get you all that far. Good times.

Quote:
B. with more than 75 carefully engineered structures, of up to 600 rooms each,

I guess this is OK. It’s just a series of modifiers, all of which make sense: “of up to 600 rooms each” modifies the “75 carefully engineered structures”, and “connected by a complex regional system of roads” modifies that whole chunk that comes before it “75 carefully engineered structures of up to 600 rooms each.” It feels a little bit awkward, but that doesn’t matter. Keep (B).

Hi GMATNinja, thank you for the explanation. I need a quick clarification. With respect to option B- your response states "connected" modifies the whole chunk that comes before, but- ed modifiers modify the thing just prior to the comma, in this case "600 room each". However, since 600 rooms each is itself a modifier to the previous chuck 75 engineers......, we conclude that "connected" modifies the whole chunk before. Is that the reason - connected can be traced back to modify the whole thing before the commas. Does my doubt make sense?
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63675 [0]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Tarungaur wrote:
GMATNinja wrote:
In keeping with some of our other recent QOTDs (see all of the 2017 QOTDs here), this one is mostly about meaning, and mechanical grammar rules won’t get you all that far. Good times.

Quote:
B. with more than 75 carefully engineered structures, of up to 600 rooms each,

I guess this is OK. It’s just a series of modifiers, all of which make sense: “of up to 600 rooms each” modifies the “75 carefully engineered structures”, and “connected by a complex regional system of roads” modifies that whole chunk that comes before it “75 carefully engineered structures of up to 600 rooms each.” It feels a little bit awkward, but that doesn’t matter. Keep (B).

Hi GMATNinja, thank you for the explanation. I need a quick clarification. With respect to option B- your response states "connected" modifies the whole chunk that comes before, but- ed modifiers modify the thing just prior to the comma, in this case "600 room each". However, since 600 rooms each is itself a modifier to the previous chuck 75 engineers......, we conclude that "connected" modifies the whole chunk before. Is that the reason - connected can be traced back to modify the whole thing before the commas. Does my doubt make sense?

Seems like you have the right idea!

You can think of the "of up to 600 rooms each" part as an extra "nested" modifier (describing the "75 carefully engineered structures"). The fact that it's completely set off by commas helps the reader realize that the "connected" part is supposed to modify the structures as well -- almost as if the "of up to 600 rooms each" part weren't even there.

I hope that helps a bit!
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts