It is currently 14 Dec 2017, 05:28

Decision(s) Day!:

CHAT Rooms | Wharton R1 | Stanford R1 | Tuck R1 | Ross R1 | Haas R1

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The bricks that were used

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

3 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 99 [3], given: 21

The bricks that were used [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Jul 2015, 05:39
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

39% (01:15) correct 61% (01:25) wrong based on 410 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The bricks that were used in the construction of the West Virginian Georgian mansion of Wappocomo were manufactured in England and used as ballast to stabilize ships loading tobacco in the James River, journeying in bullock carts over the Blue Ridge Mountains and Ridge-and-Valley Appalachians.

Wappocomo were manufactured in England and used as ballast to stabilize ships loading tobacco in the James River, journeying

Wappocomo were manufactured in England and used as ballast to stabilize ships loading tobacco in the James River, journey

Wappocomo, manufactured in England and used as ballast to stabilize ships loading tobacco in the James River and journeying

Wappocomo, which had been manufactured in England and used as ballast to stabilize ships loading tobacco in the James River, and journeying

Wappocomo, which had been manufactured in England and used as ballast to stabilize ships loading tobacco in the James River, journeyed

Can someone explain this question pls?
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Regards,
Kudos please..help me unlock the tests :)

Last edited by target2015 on 08 Jul 2015, 21:01, edited 1 time in total.

Kudos [?]: 99 [3], given: 21

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 59 [0], given: 349

Concentration: General Management, Operations
Schools: HBS '19 (S)
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
Re: The bricks that were used [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Jul 2015, 09:05
IMO E ... although I don't know what the word journey is doing ... Please provide OA

Kudos [?]: 59 [0], given: 349

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 99 [0], given: 21

Show Tags

New post 08 Jul 2015, 21:05
Hi roopika, the OA is indeed E.
But I'm not sure about the usage of ",which"- I think this actually modifies the element immediately preceding it, i.e. in this case "West Virginian Georgian mansion of Wappocomo" and not "the bricks"(the intended element). Could you please clarify on this?

Regards,
Kudos please..help me unlock the tests :)

Kudos [?]: 99 [0], given: 21

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 34

Show Tags

New post 09 Jul 2015, 02:50
Can someone explain why E is the answer? :roll: :roll: :roll:

Consider Kudos if my post helped you. Thanks!

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 34

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 10 [1], given: 6

GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V33

Show Tags

New post 09 Jul 2015, 03:05
This post received
KUDOS
1)Wappocomo were manufactured in England and used as ballast to stabilize ships loading tobacco in the James River, journeying
-"journeying" makes this sentence a fragment.
2)Wappocomo were manufactured in England and used as ballast to stabilize ships loading tobacco in the James River, journey-Sounds incorrect as bricks "journey" by themselves.
3)Wappocomo, manufactured in England and used as ballast to stabilize ships loading tobacco in the James River and journeying-Again a fragment
4)Wappocomo, which had been manufactured in England and used as ballast to stabilize ships loading tobacco in the James River, and journeying- a fragment

5)Wappocomo, which had been manufactured in England and used as ballast to stabilize ships loading tobacco in the James River, journeyed-A complete sentence,sounds the best amongst all

Looking for a better explanation though!

Kudos [?]: 10 [1], given: 6

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 40

Show Tags

New post 13 Jul 2015, 16:54
Why can't (A) be correct in that "journeying...." is an absolute phrase?

So, rearranging choice (A):

"Journeying in bullock carts over the Blue Ridge Mountains and Ridge-and-Valley Appalachians, the bricks that were used in the construction of the West Virginian Georgian mansion of Wappocomo were manufactured in England and used as ballast to stabilize ships loading tobacco in the James River."

Simplifying further....

"Journeying....(absolute phrase), the bricks that were used in X were manufactured in Y and used as Z. (A) sounds perfectly fine to me.

Whereas, with (E), "which" refers to "West Virginian Georgian mansion of Wappocomo" instead of "bricks". (E) seems wrong, per GMAT rules...

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 40

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 246 [0], given: 39

Show Tags

New post 13 Jul 2015, 22:05
In E.. "which" and the "bricks" which were manufactured are miles away...It is possible to omit the prepositional phrases though..

In A agreed that the word "journeying" does not essentially modify the preceding clause but its the best among the rest..

Looking forward to the OE though I found this question here..

http://www.gmatfree.com/module-62/trave ... lanation=1

Regards,
Dom.

Kudos [?]: 246 [0], given: 39

Retired Moderator
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying

Kudos [?]: 8336 [0], given: 366

WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 18 Jul 2015, 22:57
Meaning is the key to unravel this passage.

The intent of the text is to bring out that the bricks were made in England and were used as ballasts in ships, before they were transported in bullock carts. Choice A perhaps brings out this intent well, relegating the transportation part to a secondary modifier role. On the other hand, E considers journeying in bullock carts as the main factor by according it the main verb while pushing the English manufacture and the ballast usage to a subordinate role.
2. Choice B is a run-on
3. The phrase ‘and journeying’ in C and D, renders these choices unparallel and fragments
4. Choices and D and E flout the relative- pronoun rule blatantly; it is difficult to imagine that a pronoun posited somewhere in the middle of a sentence can modify something in the beginning of the sentence, skipping several other eligible nouns on the way.

Can you solve at least some SC questions without delving into the initial statement?

Narendran 98845 44509

Kudos [?]: 8336 [0], given: 366

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 110

GMAT 1: 600 Q48 V27
GMAT 2: 720 Q50 V37
GPA: 3.2
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 17 Nov 2015, 10:06
how can it be E? Does not 'which' modify Wappacomo?

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 110

2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 14 [2], given: 40

Concentration: Healthcare, Marketing
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V34
GMAT 2: 680 Q48 V35
GPA: 3.37
WE: Engineering (Health Care)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 17 Nov 2015, 12:43
This post received
KUDOS
E. Wappocomo, which had been manufactured in England and used as ballast to stabilize ships loading tobacco in the James River, journeyed

Which modifies the noun "The bricks that were used" in the construction of the West Virginian Georgian mansion of ...
what follows after used is just a prepositional modifier. This is a perfect example of how sometimes we have to go back to the un-underlined part of the sentence to make sure the preceeding word before "which" is actually a noun.

I fell for the wrong answer trying to solve this too quickly. :cry:

May the odds be ever in your favor.

Kudos [?]: 14 [2], given: 40

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 24

Show Tags

New post 19 Nov 2015, 12:48
Please correct me if I am wrong, but per GMAT english, "which" MUST modify the immediately preceding noun only. I have often come across this rule.

Would appreciate if anyone could elaborate further on A vs. E.

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 24

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 8

Schools: Yale (A)
GPA: 3.75
WE: Consulting (Health Care)

Show Tags

New post 19 Jan 2016, 12:53
I agree with many members on the topic of ,which.

GMAT reserves ,which to modify the adjacent noun. In this case it is est Virginian Georgian mansion of Wappocomo. So this OA is debatable. I went with A as well.

"Stay Foolish, Stay Hungry"

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 8

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P

Kudos [?]: 174 [0], given: 350

Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 19 Jan 2016, 13:10
target2015 wrote:
The bricks that were used in the construction of the West Virginian Georgian mansion of Wappocomo were manufactured in England and used as ballast to stabilize ships loading tobacco in the James River, journeying in bullock carts over the Blue Ridge Mountains and Ridge-and-Valley Appalachians.

Wappocomo were manufactured in England and used as ballast to stabilize ships loading tobacco in the James River, journeying

Wappocomo were manufactured in England and used as ballast to stabilize ships loading tobacco in the James River, journey

Wappocomo, manufactured in England and used as ballast to stabilize ships loading tobacco in the James River and journeying

Wappocomo, which had been manufactured in England and used as ballast to stabilize ships loading tobacco in the James River, and journeying

Wappocomo, which had been manufactured in England and used as ballast to stabilize ships loading tobacco in the James River, journeyed

Note 1: If a Which is used after a comma then the which modifies the noun just before it. that means the "noun" and the modifier "which" are separated only by a comma. So here which modifies wappocomo.
2: bricks are plural so verb must be plural
3: bicks might be manufactured in england but they can not be used as ballast to stabilize ships. So here we find distortion of meaning in option A. B has used present form of journey. it changes the meaning.
5: in option D, there is no verb for subject bricks
6: which modifies wappocomo and journeyed is used as a verd, which agrees with the subject bricks. So E is the correct answer.

We Shall Overcome... One day...

Last edited by nahid78 on 20 Jan 2016, 00:13, edited 2 times in total.

Kudos [?]: 174 [0], given: 350

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 6

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 19 Jan 2016, 17:36
Core sentence is The bricks ...... Journeyed. Everything else is modifier. So E is the answer.

target2015 wrote:

Wappocomo were manufactured in England and used as ballast to stabilize ships loading tobacco in the James River, journeying -- Fragment.

Wappocomo were manufactured in England and used as ballast to stabilize ships loading tobacco in the James River, journey -- With present form of verb, it sound like it is still happening which is not the case.

Wappocomo, manufactured in England and used as ballast to stabilize ships loading tobacco in the James River and journeying - Fragment.

Wappocomo, which had been manufactured in England and used as ballast to stabilize ships loading tobacco in the James River, and journeying -- Fragment.

Wappocomo, which had been manufactured in England and used as ballast to stabilize ships loading tobacco in the James River, journeyed - Correct Answer.

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 6

VP
VP
S

Kudos [?]: 172 [0], given: 916

Show Tags

New post 20 Jan 2016, 06:41
target2015 wrote:

in E
bricks that were, which had been
in this sentence both that clause and which clause are used. I do not know whether this pattern is wrong but I have never seen this pattern. anyone can explain more of this pattern.

visit my facebook to help me.
on facebook, my name is: thang thang thang

Kudos [?]: 172 [0], given: 916

Expert Post
Jamboree GMAT Instructor

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 22 Jan 2016, 03:56
thangvietnam wrote:
target2015 wrote:

in E
bricks that were, which had been
in this sentence both that clause and which clause are used. I do not know whether this pattern is wrong but I have never seen this pattern. anyone can explain more of this pattern.

The pattern is ok to use. As you must be aware "Which" is used to highlight non restrictive clause. Here in this case - option E provides extra information about bricks - first by using "THAT" - restrictive clause and second by using "Which" - non restrictive clause.

Hope this helps.

Jamboree GMAT Instructor

Rohit Ghosh
Jamboree Education Pvt. Ltd.
Jamboree Course Reviews | Try 2 of our classroom classes for free before you have to pay
Get GMAT Club Tests for free when you sign up for any Jamboree course. Request access

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

3 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 82 [3], given: 79

Show Tags

New post 23 Jan 2016, 00:02
This post received
KUDOS
Hi chetan2u / daagh ,

I opted for A, which is wrong :oops:

Lets look on option 1 by 1.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Option B-

As mentioned by daagh that its a run on sentence. I am not able to figure it how...

The bricks that were used in the construction of the West Virginian Georgian mansion of Wappocomo were manufactured in England and used as ballast to stabilize ships loading tobacco in the James River, journey in bullock carts over the Blue Ridge Mountains and Ridge-and-Valley Appalachians.

In the end I got stuck between A and B, but Choose A as we need to modify Bricks
Can you please tell 2 IC in this..?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Option C and D are fragment.. DIRECT ELIMINATE

Now Option E, which is the OA.

I eliminated it because "which" is modifying --> Wappocomo (which is not the intended meaning).

Whats wrong in my reasoning here...??

As mentioned by other folks, neeraj609 A is a fragment... :shock:

Were manufactured is the MAIN Verb here.

The only thing which makes A a fragment is, if we consider were manufactured as a part of modifier.
In that case it would be written as-->

The bricks that were used in the construction of the West Virginian Georgian mansion of Wappocomo and that were manufactured in England and used as ballast to stabilize ships loading tobacco in the James River.

Adding these two words makes this sentence a Fragment.

Correct me if I am wrong.?

Why is A wrong and E is right ( Although WHICH in E modifying wrong noun).

Please assist.

Thanks and Regards,
Prakhar

Kudos [?]: 82 [3], given: 79

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Math Expert
D

Kudos [?]: 6125 [2], given: 121

Show Tags

New post 23 Jan 2016, 01:50
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
RAHKARP27071989 wrote:
Hi chetan2u / daagh ,

The bricks that were used in the construction of the West Virginian Georgian mansion of Wappocomo and that were manufactured in England and used as ballast to stabilize ships loading tobacco in the James River.

Adding these two words makes this sentence a Fragment.

Correct me if I am wrong.?

Why is A wrong and E is right ( Although WHICH in E modifying wrong noun).

Please assist.

Hi,

firstly, yes B is a run on sentence..
what does B read..
The bricks that were used in the construction of the West Virginian Georgian mansion of Wappocomo were manufactured in England and used as ballast to stabilize ships loading tobacco in the James River, journey in bullock carts over the Blue Ridge Mountains and Ridge-and-Valley Appalachians.

1)The bricks that were used in the construction of the West Virginian Georgian mansion of Wappocomo were manufactured in England and used as ballast to stabilize ships loading tobacco in the James River.
2) but "journey in bullock carts over the Blue Ridge Mountains and Ridge-and-Valley Appalachians." starts with a verb and does not have a subject. an "AND" as a conjunction would have made the sentence still ok grammatically..

i'll touch upon the two choices A and E, and try to list out the pros and cons..

A. The bricks that were used in the construction of the West Virginian Georgian mansion of Wappocomo were manufactured in England and used as ballast to stabilize ships loading tobacco in the James River, journeying in bullock carts over the Blue Ridge Mountains and Ridge-and-Valley Appalachians.
I would rate this better of the two, inspite of OA as E..
The first part/ clause is perfect and there is no ambiguity anywhere...
I will be slightly skeptical on the subordinate clause beggining with comma +verb- ing, as generally these clauses speak about result/action of the previous clause/main clause.
Here " journeying in bullock carts over the Blue Ridge Mountains and Ridge-and-Valley Appalachians." is not a result but another action related to the bricks..

E. The bricks that were used in the construction of the West Virginian Georgian mansion of Wappocomo, which had been manufactured in England and used as ballast to stabilize ships loading tobacco in the James River, journeyed in bullock carts over the Blue Ridge Mountains and Ridge-and-Valley Appalachians...

the sentences on one hand is grammatically correct if we remove the "which"part..
The bricks that were used in the construction of the West Virginian Georgian mansion of Wappocomo, which had been manufactured in England and used as ballast to stabilize ships loading tobacco in the James River, journeyed in bullock carts over the Blue Ridge Mountains and Ridge-and-Valley Appalachians...

But the problem lies with "which". It could easily refer to the mansion, a meaning not intended. bricks is separated too far with usage of other nouns and verb, so difficult to corelate the two..
Ofcourse the manufactured in " which had been manufactured" should logically be the bricks..

If not from OG, I would keep the Q aside in terms of its OA and take finer point on usage of "had been", journeyed etc in the sentence.

Absolute modulus :http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html

Kudos [?]: 6125 [2], given: 121

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 82 [1], given: 79

Show Tags

New post 23 Jan 2016, 02:49
This post received
KUDOS
Hi chetan2u,

Thanks for your contribution..

Option B is
B Wappocomo were manufactured in England and used as ballast to stabilize ships loading tobacco in the James River, journey

Not
B Wappocomo and that were manufactured in England and used as ballast to stabilize ships loading tobacco in the James River, journey

I am still not able to recognize 2 different IC's with option B.
Can you please tell once again..??

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I added the word "and that" for option A.

According to me if A would be .

A Wappocomo and that were manufactured in England and used as ballast to stabilize ships loading tobacco in the James River, journeying----> Then it will a fregment.

But as of now I don't see it as fragment... I hope were manufactured is the MAIN verb in the sentence.

Please assist.

Thanks and Regards,
Prakhar

Kudos [?]: 82 [1], given: 79

Expert Post
Math Expert
D

Kudos [?]: 6125 [0], given: 121

Show Tags

New post 23 Jan 2016, 04:36
RAHKARP27071989 wrote:
Hi chetan2u,

Thanks for your contribution..

Option B is
B Wappocomo were manufactured in England and used as ballast to stabilize ships loading tobacco in the James River, journey

Not
B Wappocomo and that were manufactured in England and used as ballast to stabilize ships loading tobacco in the James River, journey

I am still not able to recognize 2 different IC's with option B.
Can you please tell once again..??

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I added the word "and that" for option A.

According to me if A would be .

A Wappocomo and that were manufactured in England and used as ballast to stabilize ships loading tobacco in the James River, journeying----> Then it will a fregment.

But as of now I don't see it as fragment... I hope were manufactured is the MAIN verb in the sentence.

Please assist.

Hi,
the answer given by me was for the original B itself, 'and that' got added while I was copying from earlier post..

what does B read..

the two ICs are
1)The bricks that were used in the construction of the West Virginian Georgian mansion of Wappocomo were manufactured in England and used as ballast to stabilize ships loading tobacco in the James River.
2) journey in bullock carts over the Blue Ridge Mountains and Ridge-and-Valley Appalachians.

A point about 2)
2) "journey in bullock carts over the Blue Ridge Mountains and Ridge-and-Valley Appalachians." starts with a verb and does not have a subject. an "AND" as a conjunction would have made the sentence still ok grammatically..

Absolute modulus :http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html

Kudos [?]: 6125 [0], given: 121

Re: The bricks that were used   [#permalink] 23 Jan 2016, 04:36

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 27 posts ] 

The bricks that were used

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap