Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 18:27 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 18:27

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 241 [16]
Given Kudos: 21
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [3]
Given Kudos: 6
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V33
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 715 [0]
Given Kudos: 39
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [3]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Re: The bricks that were used in the construction of the West Virginian Ge [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Meaning is the key to unravel this passage.

The intent of the text is to bring out that the bricks were made in England and were used as ballasts in ships, before they were transported in bullock carts. Choice A perhaps brings out this intent well, relegating the transportation part to a secondary modifier role. On the other hand, E considers journeying in bullock carts as the main factor by according it the main verb while pushing the English manufacture and the ballast usage to a subordinate role.
2. Choice B is a run-on
3. The phrase ‘and journeying’ in C and D, renders these choices unparallel and fragments
4. Choices and D and E flout the relative- pronoun rule blatantly; it is difficult to imagine that a pronoun posited somewhere in the middle of a sentence can modify something in the beginning of the sentence, skipping several other eligible nouns on the way.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [3]
Given Kudos: 40
Concentration: Healthcare, Marketing
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V34
GMAT 2: 680 Q48 V35
GPA: 3.37
WE:Engineering (Health Care)
Send PM
Re: The bricks that were used in the construction of the West Virginian Ge [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
E. Wappocomo, which had been manufactured in England and used as ballast to stabilize ships loading tobacco in the James River, journeyed

Which modifies the noun "The bricks that were used" in the construction of the West Virginian Georgian mansion of ...
what follows after used is just a prepositional modifier. This is a perfect example of how sometimes we have to go back to the un-underlined part of the sentence to make sure the preceeding word before "which" is actually a noun.

I fell for the wrong answer trying to solve this too quickly. :cry:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 606 [0]
Given Kudos: 1063
Send PM
target2015 wrote:
The bricks that were used in the construction of the West Virginian Georgian mansion of Wappocomo were manufactured in England and used as ballast to stabilize ships loading tobacco in the James River, journeying in bullock carts over the Blue Ridge Mountains and Ridge-and-Valley Appalachians.

Wappocomo were manufactured in England and used as ballast to stabilize ships loading tobacco in the James River, journeying

Wappocomo were manufactured in England and used as ballast to stabilize ships loading tobacco in the James River, journey

Wappocomo, manufactured in England and used as ballast to stabilize ships loading tobacco in the James River and journeying

Wappocomo, which had been manufactured in England and used as ballast to stabilize ships loading tobacco in the James River, and journeying

Wappocomo, which had been manufactured in England and used as ballast to stabilize ships loading tobacco in the James River, journeyed

Can someone explain this question pls?

Note 1: If a Which is used after a comma then the which modifies the noun just before it. that means the "noun" and the modifier "which" are separated only by a comma. So here which modifies wappocomo.
2: bricks are plural so verb must be plural
3: bicks might be manufactured in england but they can not be used as ballast to stabilize ships. So here we find distortion of meaning in option A. B has used present form of journey. it changes the meaning.
5: in option D, there is no verb for subject bricks
6: which modifies wappocomo and journeyed is used as a verd, which agrees with the subject bricks. So E is the correct answer.

Originally posted by nahid78 on 19 Jan 2016, 14:10.
Last edited by nahid78 on 20 Jan 2016, 01:13, edited 2 times in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Send PM
Core sentence is The bricks ...... Journeyed. Everything else is modifier. So E is the answer.

target2015 wrote:
The bricks that were used in the construction of the West Virginian Georgian mansion of Wappocomo were manufactured in England and used as ballast to stabilize ships loading tobacco in the James River, journeying in bullock carts over the Blue Ridge Mountains and Ridge-and-Valley Appalachians.

Wappocomo were manufactured in England and used as ballast to stabilize ships loading tobacco in the James River, journeying -- Fragment.

Wappocomo were manufactured in England and used as ballast to stabilize ships loading tobacco in the James River, journey -- With present form of verb, it sound like it is still happening which is not the case.

Wappocomo, manufactured in England and used as ballast to stabilize ships loading tobacco in the James River and journeying - Fragment.

Wappocomo, which had been manufactured in England and used as ballast to stabilize ships loading tobacco in the James River, and journeying -- Fragment.

Wappocomo, which had been manufactured in England and used as ballast to stabilize ships loading tobacco in the James River, journeyed - Correct Answer.

Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 523 [0]
Given Kudos: 916
Send PM
target2015 wrote:

Wappocomo were manufactured in England and used as ballast to stabilize ships loading tobacco in the James River, journeying

Wappocomo were manufactured in England and used as ballast to stabilize ships loading tobacco in the James River, journey

Wappocomo, manufactured in England and used as ballast to stabilize ships loading tobacco in the James River and journeying

Wappocomo, which had been manufactured in England and used as ballast to stabilize ships loading tobacco in the James River, and journeying

Wappocomo, which had been manufactured in England and used as ballast to stabilize ships loading tobacco in the James River, journeyed

in E
bricks that were, which had been
in this sentence both that clause and which clause are used. I do not know whether this pattern is wrong but I have never seen this pattern. anyone can explain more of this pattern.
Jamboree GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
thangvietnam wrote:
target2015 wrote:

in E
bricks that were, which had been
in this sentence both that clause and which clause are used. I do not know whether this pattern is wrong but I have never seen this pattern. anyone can explain more of this pattern.

The pattern is ok to use. As you must be aware "Which" is used to highlight non restrictive clause. Here in this case - option E provides extra information about bricks - first by using "THAT" - restrictive clause and second by using "Which" - non restrictive clause.

Hope this helps.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 614 [4]
Given Kudos: 79
Send PM
Kudos
Hi chetan2u / daagh ,

I opted for A, which is wrong :oops:

Lets look on option 1 by 1.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Option B-

As mentioned by daagh that its a run on sentence. I am not able to figure it how...

The bricks that were used in the construction of the West Virginian Georgian mansion of Wappocomo were manufactured in England and used as ballast to stabilize ships loading tobacco in the James River, journey in bullock carts over the Blue Ridge Mountains and Ridge-and-Valley Appalachians.

In the end I got stuck between A and B, but Choose A as we need to modify Bricks
Can you please tell 2 IC in this..?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Option C and D are fragment.. DIRECT ELIMINATE

Now Option E, which is the OA.

I eliminated it because "which" is modifying --> Wappocomo (which is not the intended meaning).

Whats wrong in my reasoning here...??

As mentioned by other folks, neeraj609 A is a fragment... :shock:

Were manufactured is the MAIN Verb here.

The only thing which makes A a fragment is, if we consider were manufactured as a part of modifier.
In that case it would be written as-->

The bricks that were used in the construction of the West Virginian Georgian mansion of Wappocomo and that were manufactured in England and used as ballast to stabilize ships loading tobacco in the James River.

Adding these two words makes this sentence a Fragment.

Correct me if I am wrong.?

Why is A wrong and E is right ( Although WHICH in E modifying wrong noun).

Please assist.
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31933 [2]
Given Kudos: 290
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
RAHKARP27071989 wrote:
Hi chetan2u / daagh ,

The bricks that were used in the construction of the West Virginian Georgian mansion of Wappocomo and that were manufactured in England and used as ballast to stabilize ships loading tobacco in the James River.

Adding these two words makes this sentence a Fragment.

Correct me if I am wrong.?

Why is A wrong and E is right ( Although WHICH in E modifying wrong noun).

Please assist.

Hi,

firstly, yes B is a run on sentence..
what does B read..
The bricks that were used in the construction of the West Virginian Georgian mansion of Wappocomo were manufactured in England and used as ballast to stabilize ships loading tobacco in the James River, journey in bullock carts over the Blue Ridge Mountains and Ridge-and-Valley Appalachians.

1)The bricks that were used in the construction of the West Virginian Georgian mansion of Wappocomo were manufactured in England and used as ballast to stabilize ships loading tobacco in the James River.
2) but "journey in bullock carts over the Blue Ridge Mountains and Ridge-and-Valley Appalachians." starts with a verb and does not have a subject. an "AND" as a conjunction would have made the sentence still ok grammatically..

i'll touch upon the two choices A and E, and try to list out the pros and cons..

A. The bricks that were used in the construction of the West Virginian Georgian mansion of Wappocomo were manufactured in England and used as ballast to stabilize ships loading tobacco in the James River, journeying in bullock carts over the Blue Ridge Mountains and Ridge-and-Valley Appalachians.
I would rate this better of the two, inspite of OA as E..
The first part/ clause is perfect and there is no ambiguity anywhere...
I will be slightly skeptical on the subordinate clause beggining with comma +verb- ing, as generally these clauses speak about result/action of the previous clause/main clause.
Here " journeying in bullock carts over the Blue Ridge Mountains and Ridge-and-Valley Appalachians." is not a result but another action related to the bricks..

E. The bricks that were used in the construction of the West Virginian Georgian mansion of Wappocomo, which had been manufactured in England and used as ballast to stabilize ships loading tobacco in the James River, journeyed in bullock carts over the Blue Ridge Mountains and Ridge-and-Valley Appalachians...

the sentences on one hand is grammatically correct if we remove the "which"part..
The bricks that were used in the construction of the West Virginian Georgian mansion of Wappocomo, which had been manufactured in England and used as ballast to stabilize ships loading tobacco in the James River, journeyed in bullock carts over the Blue Ridge Mountains and Ridge-and-Valley Appalachians...

But the problem lies with "which". It could easily refer to the mansion, a meaning not intended. bricks is separated too far with usage of other nouns and verb, so difficult to corelate the two..
Ofcourse the manufactured in " which had been manufactured" should logically be the bricks..

If not from OG, I would keep the Q aside in terms of its OA and take finer point on usage of "had been", journeyed etc in the sentence.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 614 [1]
Given Kudos: 79
Send PM
Kudos
Hi chetan2u,

Thanks for your contribution..

Option B is
B Wappocomo were manufactured in England and used as ballast to stabilize ships loading tobacco in the James River, journey

Not
B Wappocomo and that were manufactured in England and used as ballast to stabilize ships loading tobacco in the James River, journey

I am still not able to recognize 2 different IC's with option B.
Can you please tell once again..??

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I added the word "and that" for option A.

According to me if A would be .

A Wappocomo and that were manufactured in England and used as ballast to stabilize ships loading tobacco in the James River, journeying----> Then it will a fregment.

But as of now I don't see it as fragment... I hope were manufactured is the MAIN verb in the sentence.

Please assist.
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31933 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
RAHKARP27071989 wrote:
Hi chetan2u,

Thanks for your contribution..

Option B is
B Wappocomo were manufactured in England and used as ballast to stabilize ships loading tobacco in the James River, journey

Not
B Wappocomo and that were manufactured in England and used as ballast to stabilize ships loading tobacco in the James River, journey

I am still not able to recognize 2 different IC's with option B.
Can you please tell once again..??

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I added the word "and that" for option A.

According to me if A would be .

A Wappocomo and that were manufactured in England and used as ballast to stabilize ships loading tobacco in the James River, journeying----> Then it will a fregment.

But as of now I don't see it as fragment... I hope were manufactured is the MAIN verb in the sentence.

Please assist.

Hi,
the answer given by me was for the original B itself, 'and that' got added while I was copying from earlier post..

what does B read..

the two ICs are
1)The bricks that were used in the construction of the West Virginian Georgian mansion of Wappocomo were manufactured in England and used as ballast to stabilize ships loading tobacco in the James River.
2) journey in bullock carts over the Blue Ridge Mountains and Ridge-and-Valley Appalachians.

A point about 2)
2) "journey in bullock carts over the Blue Ridge Mountains and Ridge-and-Valley Appalachians." starts with a verb and does not have a subject. an "AND" as a conjunction would have made the sentence still ok grammatically..
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
GMAT 1: 690 Q42 V42
Send PM
Which refers to something that is immediately before it. In this case the use of "which" looks wrong. Can somebody please explain?
Jamboree GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
apjoshua92 wrote:
Which refers to something that is immediately before it. In this case the use of "which" looks wrong. Can somebody please explain?

"Which" - is a relative pronoun modifier and relative pronoun modifiers act as Noun Modifiers. An important characteristic of Noun Modifiers is that Noun modifiers modify the noun close to the modifier. On this note, "Which" is considered modifying something that is immediately before it ("Which").

This undersanding is not always correct. Always in a sentence "Meaning or intent the sentence" is most IMPORTANT. In certain cases, "Which" can refer to slightly far way noun. (Many such examples are present in the Official Guide). Typically in such cases the structure is - Noun + Short information (prepositional phrase), "Which" - per the meaning of the sentence "Which" can refer to the slightly far away noun.

In this particular question (very specific case) , per the intent of the question "Which" is providing extra information regarding bricks. (as indicated in option E).

Always meaning first and grammar second.

Hope this helps.
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31933 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
@Specter wrote:
@apjoshua92 wrote:

"Which" - is a relative pronoun modifier and relative pronoun modifiers act as Noun Modifiers. An important characteristic of Noun Modifiers is that Noun modifiers modify the noun close to the modifier. On this note, "Which" is considered modifying something that is immediately before it ("Which").

This undersanding is not always correct. Always in a sentence "Meaning or intent the sentence" is most IMPORTANT. In certain cases, "Which" can refer to slightly far way noun. (Many such examples are present in the Official Guide). Typically in such cases the structure is - Noun + Short information (prepositional phrase), "Which" - per the meaning of the sentence "Which" can refer to the slightly far away noun.

In this particular question (very specific case) , per the intent of the question "Which" is providing extra information regarding bricks. (as indicated in option E).

Always meaning first and grammar second.

Hope this helps.

Hi,

I would differ from you on this point..
"which" is ambiguous here, although the answer is the best possible available..
I have always seen GMAT testing it on grammer and not on 'intent'. I would request you to kindly share any OG examples, which you could have come across..
I have seen many testing it, just an example..

(D) The Erie Canal was seldom more than 40 feet wide or 12 feet deep and it ran 363 miles across the rugged wilderness of upstate New York, which connected the Hudson River at Albany to the Great Lakes at Buffalo, providing the port of New York City with a direct water link to the heartland of the North American continent...

this option is wrong and reason given is..
The paired concepts of width and depth should be joined by and, not or; this construction calls for two main clauses to be separated by a comma after deep; which is ambiguous

Clearly intent is the erie canal. it has to be a canal only that can connect a river and a lake, BUT OG claims it to be ambiguous..

OUR example is more doubtful on usage of which than the example above...
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 1180 [0]
Given Kudos: 236
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.92
WE:General Management (Transportation)
Send PM
target2015 wrote:

wow tough one..
so the bricks were used in the construction
the bricks were manufactured and used..
the bricks journeyed in bullock carts...

ing modifier is illogical. bricks were manufactured and used by TRAVELLING? No. were manufactured and used -> and the result these bricks were travelling? no. so ing modifier is incorrect.

looks like after the coma, we have journey as a subject - but we do not have a verb..+the meaning is not clear.

no active verb for the bricks.

no active verb for the bricks

only 1 verb for the bricks - journeyed.
which correctly modifies the bricks - everything that we have after that and up to the "which" is a looong noun modifier presented in a clause. we can ignore it, and see that which makes sense with the head of the noun phrase..
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 1180 [1]
Given Kudos: 236
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.92
WE:General Management (Transportation)
Send PM