Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 04:39 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 04:39

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 207 [0]
Given Kudos: 189
Send PM
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [2]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
VP
VP
Send PM
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [0]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Re: The fact of some fraternal twins resembling each other greatly and [#permalink]
Expert Reply
jabhatta2

That's right, except that your yellow highlight should even include "this fact." When we create a subordinate clause by starting with because/since/while, etc., this clause should work with the entire clause that follows, not just some later part of it. In other words, once I say "Because X," I need to follow with a clause describing what actually happened because of X. The subject we're given in E is "this fact," but "this fact" didn't do anything because of the part in green. In fact, "this fact" is the part in green!
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 2287 [0]
Given Kudos: 66
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V45
GMAT 2: 780 Q50 V47
GMAT 3: 770 Q50 V45
Send PM
Re: The fact of some fraternal twins resembling each other greatly and [#permalink]
Expert Reply
jabhatta2 wrote:
Hi avigutman

QQ on the pronoun "they" in A, B and E

Isnt 'they' genuinely ambigous in all three answer choices ? 'they' could be referring to fraternal twins OR fraternal-twin pairs. Aren't both legitimate antecedents or do you think only one antecedent makes sense ?

In order to answer this question, jabhatta2, you have to articulate the meaning of the sentence using each of the antecedents (and see if you end up with two distinct legitimate meanings).
Please try to do so, and I'll help you out if needed.
VP
VP
Send PM
The fact of some fraternal twins resembling each other greatly and [#permalink]
avigutman wrote:
In order to answer this question, jabhatta2, you have to articulate the meaning of the sentence using each of the antecedents (and see if you end up with two distinct legitimate meanings).
Please try to do so, and I'll help you out if needed.

Hi avigutman - Written out both sentences replacing "They". In sentence 1 - replaced "They" with the antecedent Fraternal twins.
In Sentence 2 - replaced "they" with the antecedent Fraternal twin pairs

I think both are okay but the second is preferred

If you insert fraternal twins -- well some fraternal twins DONT vary considerably on the spectrum of genetic relatedness (specifically - the fraternal twins that are similar)

But not sure
Attachments

pic 2.PNG
pic 2.PNG [ 53.88 KiB | Viewed 1251 times ]

Tutor
Send PM
The fact of some fraternal twins resembling each other greatly and [#permalink]
Expert Reply
jabhatta2 wrote:
Written out both sentences replacing "They". In sentence 1 - replaced "They" with the antecedent Fraternal twins.

If you insert fraternal twins -- well some fraternal twins DONT vary considerably on the spectrum of genetic relatedness (specifically - the fraternal twins that are similar)

I suspect you might be misinterpreting the meaning of vary considerably on the spectrum of genetic relatedness, jabhatta2.
Please take some time to reflect on what that phrase means, and try to articulate it in simple English. Specifically, try to think about *who* or *what* it is, exactly, that we can "place" on that spectrum.
I believe a correct interpretation will clear your doubt on any pronoun ambiguity.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 366 [0]
Given Kudos: 748
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V44
Send PM
This is the sentence we get with Answer Choice B:
Quote:
(B) That some fraternal twins resemble each other greatly while others look quite dissimilar highlights an interesting and often overlooked feature of fraternal-twin pairs, namely that they vary considerably on a spectrum of genetic relatedness.

Many people have a problem dealing with sentences that begin with THAT in this manner.

If you're one of them, just replace THAT with THE FACT THAT (or in some cases with THE BELIEF THAT). The sentence structure and meaning should then become clearer.

The subject of this sentence is "That some fraternal twins resemble each other greatly while others look quite dissimilar".

It is the same as "THE FACT that some fraternal twins resemble each other greatly while others look quite dissimilar".

Here is the resulting simplified sentence with a lot of fluff removed:
That fact ... highlights an interesting and often overlooked feature of fraternal-twin pairs, namely that they vary considerably on a spectrum of genetic relatedness.

Posted from my mobile device
VP
VP
Send PM
avigutman wrote:
jabhatta2 wrote:
Written out both sentences replacing "They". In sentence 1 - replaced "They" with the antecedent Fraternal twins.

I suspect you might be misinterpreting the meaning of vary considerably on the spectrum of genetic relatedness, jabhatta2.
Please take some time to reflect on what that phrase means, and try to articulate it in simple English. Specifically, try to think about *who* or *what* it is, exactly, that we can "place" on that spectrum.
I believe a correct interpretation will clear your doubt on any pronoun ambiguity.

hmm avigutman - i think the noun phrase : spectrum of genetic relatedness CAN be thought of as a number line. like the one i have in the image.

On the left of the number line is a "pair" that is very similar whereas on the right is a "pair" that is very different.

I guess one could plot "pairs" like that on this number line

T
Attachments

pic 3.PNG
pic 3.PNG [ 53.34 KiB | Viewed 1193 times ]

Tutor
Send PM
Expert Reply
jabhatta2 wrote:
I think the noun phrase : spectrum of genetic relatedness CAN be thought of as a number line. like the one i have in the image.

On the left of the number line is a "pair" that is very similar whereas on the right is a "pair" that is very different.

I guess one could plot "pairs" like that on this number line

Precisely. Only pairs of fraternal twins are appropriate for placement on the spectrum. The other interpretation is nonsensical. Well done, jabhatta2!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 78
Send PM
I got the right answer for this, but can someone please explain the meaning of the statement starting with "with" in options C and D?
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Expert Reply
rashwiniyer wrote:
I got the right answer for this, but can someone please explain the meaning of the statement starting with "with" in options C and D?

Hello rashwiniyer,

We hope this finds you well.

To answer your query, the "with" phrase used in Options C and D is used to convey cause-effect relationships.

For example, "With the bus 30 minutes late, I had no hope of reaching work in time." - this conveys that "I" had no hope of reaching work in time because the bus was 30 minutes late.

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
karishma in option A what part of speech is the word "highlights". Is it a verb?

As per expertsglobal, "This answer choice incorrectly uses the present participles ("verb+ing") "resembling" and "looking" to refer to statements of universal fact; please remember, statements of universal fact are best conveyed through the simple present tense"

resembling and looking is not the universal truth but that the fact highlights something is. So am I wrong in saying that it is ok if option A uses resembling and looking?
Send PM
Expert Reply
Jayshah1997 wrote:
karishma in option A what part of speech is the word "highlights". Is it a verb?

As per expertsglobal, "This answer choice incorrectly uses the present participles ("verb+ing") "resembling" and "looking" to refer to statements of universal fact; please remember, statements of universal fact are best conveyed through the simple present tense"

resembling and looking is not the universal truth but that the fact highlights something is. So am I wrong in saying that it is ok if option A uses resembling and looking?

Hello Jayshah1997,

To answer your queries, "highlights" is, indeed, a verb.

Further, consider the clause "some fraternal twins resemble each other greatly while others look quite dissimilar" from the correct answer choice; the subject of this sentence is, as you have identified, a statement of fact, so that statement must utilize the simple present tense.

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
ExpertsGlobal5 wrote:
Jayshah1997 wrote:
in option A what part of speech is the word "highlights". Is it a verb?

Hello ,

Further, consider the clause "some fraternal twins resemble each other greatly while others look quite dissimilar" from the correct answer choice; the subject of this sentence is, as you have identified, a statement of fact, so that statement must utilize the simple present tense.

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team

Hi ExpertsGlobal5

Thankyou for the reply, so is it that any verb appearing in a statement of universal truth has to be in simple present, I assumed that, which obviously I am wrong since OA is B, one the verb that is linked to the subject should be in simple present tense, rest can be ing modifier
Send PM
Expert Reply
Jayshah1997 wrote:
ExpertsGlobal5 wrote:
Jayshah1997 wrote:
in option A what part of speech is the word "highlights". Is it a verb?

Hello ,

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team

Hi ExpertsGlobal5

Thankyou for the reply, so is it that any verb appearing in a statement of universal truth has to be in simple present, I assumed that, which obviously I am wrong since OA is B, one the verb that is linked to the subject should be in simple present tense, rest can be ing modifier

Hello Jayshah1997,

To clarify, yes; any verb used to state a universal fact must be in the simple present tense.

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 496
Send PM
KarishmaB GMATNinja

That some fraternal twins resemble each other greatly while others look quite dissimilar highlights an interesting and often overlooked feature of fraternal-twin pairs, namely that they vary considerably

Can you please help me understand the sentence structure?

A) That xxx (Sub) highlights (v) - I believe sentence starts with "that, which when" etc is a noun clause and "that +verb" is a DC and not IC.
Ex - Whoever thought of that idea is a genius. - subject - noun clause- Whoever thought of that idea

Even if we consider "That..." as IC, what is the role of "namely that they vary", Is is a DC or IC?
I think we need FANBOYS to connect IC to a DC.
B) Can we connect using that? - "IC, that IC"

Thank you for help!
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64929 [0]
Given Kudos: 427
Send PM
Expert Reply
Sneha2021 wrote:
KarishmaB GMATNinja

That some fraternal twins resemble each other greatly while others look quite dissimilar highlights an interesting and often overlooked feature of fraternal-twin pairs, namely that they vary considerably

Can you please help me understand the sentence structure?

A) That xxx (Sub) highlights (v) - I believe sentence starts with "that, which when" etc is a noun clause and "that +verb" is a DC and not IC.
Ex - Whoever thought of that idea is a genius. - subject - noun clause- Whoever thought of that idea

Even if we consider "That..." as IC, what is the role of "namely that they vary", Is is a DC or IC?
I think we need FANBOYS to connect IC to a DC.
B) Can we connect using that? - "IC, that IC"

Thank you for help!

'That some fraternal twins resemble each other greatly while others look quite dissimilar' is a noun clause and acts as the subject of the sentence.

'Subject' highlights an interesting and often overlooked feature of fraternal-twin pairs, namely that they vary considerably

'namely' is an adverb and is followed by a noun.

The response was sent by another employee, namely Mr X.

'that they vary considerably' acts as a noun clause written in place of a noun.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts