GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Jun 2018, 15:39

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The fact of some fraternal twins resembling each other greatly and

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Board of Directors
V
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: The fact of some fraternal twins resembling each other greatly and [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Mar 2017, 10:47
The fact of some fraternal twins resembling each other greatly and others looking quite dissimilar highlights an interesting and often overlooked feature of fraternal-twin pairs, namely they vary considerably on a spectrum of genetic relatedness.

A. The fact of some fraternal twins resembling each other greatly and others looking quite dissimilar highlights an interesting and often overlooked feature of fraternal-twin pairs, namely they vary considerably --> The Fact That is the correct Usage. There are two contrasting things " Resembling and Dissimilar". So, we should have a contrasting conjunction between the two.

B. That some fraternal twins resemble each other greatly while others look quite dissimilar highlights an interesting and often overlooked feature of fraternal-twin pairs, namely that they vary considerably. --> Correct Choice. Clearly conveys the contrast and provides the opinion as a fact. Something like the Fact that(Notice we can omit the fact here.)

C. With some fraternal twins resembling each other greatly and others looking quite dissimilar, it highlights an interesting and often overlooked feature of fraternal-twin pairs, namely considerable variation. --> With Some fraternal .. is what? It is called a dangling modifier. It is not modifying anything. + No contrast made as in choice A. Hence, incorrect.

D. With some fraternal twins resembling each other greatly and others looking quite dissimilar, it is a fact that highlights an interesting and often overlooked feature of fraternal-twin pairs, namely a considerable variation.--> Same as C above.

E. Because some fraternal twins resemble each other greatly and others look quite dissimilar, this fact highlights an interesting and often overlooked feature of fraternal-twin pairs, namely they vary considerably --> Change in Meaning. The fact is highlighting something because twins are similar or dissimilar. Incorrect.

My GMAT Story: From V21 to V40
My MBA Journey: My 10 years long MBA Dream
My Secret Hacks: Best way to use GMATClub
Verbal Resources: All SC Resources at one place | All CR Resources at one place
Blog: Subscribe to Question of the Day Blog

GMAT Club Inbuilt Error Log Functionality - Click here.

NEW VISA FORUM - Ask all your Visa Related Questions - Click here.

Find a bug in the new email templates and get rewarded with 2 weeks of GMATClub Tests for free

Manager
Manager
G
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GMAT 1: 620 Q48 V26
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: The fact of some fraternal twins resembling each other greatly and [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Mar 2017, 04:07
abhimahna wrote:
The fact of some fraternal twins resembling each other greatly and others looking quite dissimilar highlights an interesting and often overlooked feature of fraternal-twin pairs, namely they vary considerably on a spectrum of genetic relatedness.

A. The fact of some fraternal twins resembling each other greatly and others looking quite dissimilar highlights an interesting and often overlooked feature of fraternal-twin pairs, namely they vary considerably --> The Fact That is the correct Usage. There are two contrasting things " Resembling and Dissimilar". So, we should have a contrasting conjunction between the two.

B. That some fraternal twins resemble each other greatly while others look quite dissimilar highlights an interesting and often overlooked feature of fraternal-twin pairs, namely that they vary considerably. --> Correct Choice. Clearly conveys the contrast and provides the opinion as a fact. Something like the Fact that(Notice we can omit the fact here.)

C. With some fraternal twins resembling each other greatly and others looking quite dissimilar, it highlights an interesting and often overlooked feature of fraternal-twin pairs, namely considerable variation. --> With Some fraternal .. is what? It is called a dangling modifier. It is not modifying anything. + No contrast made as in choice A. Hence, incorrect.

D. With some fraternal twins resembling each other greatly and others looking quite dissimilar, it is a fact that highlights an interesting and often overlooked feature of fraternal-twin pairs, namely a considerable variation.--> Same as C above.

E. Because some fraternal twins resemble each other greatly and others look quite dissimilar, this fact highlights an interesting and often overlooked feature of fraternal-twin pairs, namely they vary considerably --> Change in Meaning. The fact is highlighting something because twins are similar or dissimilar. Incorrect.

Though you have made a very good effort in analyzing and thanks for that,but option A can't be wrong just because it doesn't have a contrasting word.It is wrong because of the incorrect usage of "fact of".But the construction fact of+twin resembling is wrong.
BSchool Forum Moderator
G
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36
GPA: 4
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 02 Jun 2018, 06:32
egmat wrote:
nishatfarhat87 wrote:

A. The fact of some fraternal twins resembling each other greatly and others looking quite dissimilar highlights an interesting and often overlooked feature of fraternal-twin pairs, namely they vary considerably
B. That some fraternal twins resemble each other greatly while others look quite dissimilar highlights an interesting and often overlooked feature of fraternal-twin pairs, namely that they vary considerably
C. With some fraternal twins resembling each other greatly and others looking quite dissimilar, it highlights an interesting and often overlooked feature of fraternal-twin pairs, namely considerable variation
D. With some fraternal twins resembling each other greatly and others looking quite dissimilar, it is a fact that highlights an interesting and often overlooked feature of fraternal-twin pairs, namely a considerable variation
E. Because some fraternal twins resemble each other greatly and others look quite dissimilar, this fact highlights an interesting and often overlooked feature of fraternal-twin pairs, namely they vary considerably

Hi Egmat.

Below are my doubts:

What is this structure 'namely they … and how is it connected to the independent previous clause.
Are there any errors in C and D other than the usage of 'It' and change in meaning?
What's wrong with E

Hi Nishat,

Thanks for posting your doubt here. :-)

The expression namely is an adverb that modifies the action in the previous independent clause. It gives more description as to what is highlighted.

No, there are not.

Choice E is incorrect because of it structure. The correct structure should be because A happens, B happens. We cannot say Because A happens, this fact does something. That's incorrect structure.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha

Hey egmat

What kind of modifier is this? noun + noun modifier or adverbial modifier?

I have read all your articles and I can't place this article in any of your articles on modifiers.

My journey From 410 to 700 :-)
Here's my experience when I faced a glitch in my GMAT Exam
Don't do this mistake when you give your GMATPrep Mock!

Expert Post
Top Contributor
Retired Moderator
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 02 Jun 2018, 09:27
Top Contributor
A rapid-fire fix: The most important aspect of this question is to contrast between two dimensions of a particular phenomenon of the fraternal twins' looks, for which the use of a change - direction transition marker of contrast is essential. In this context, B is the only choice that depicts the conjunction 'while' to mark the contrast. All other choices simply use 'and', a same-direction conjunction. Hence, they are all incorrect.

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

Re: The fact of some fraternal twins resembling each other greatly and   [#permalink] 02 Jun 2018, 09:27

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 24 posts ] 

The fact of some fraternal twins resembling each other greatly and

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap