Last visit was: 31 Aug 2024, 18:13 It is currently 31 Aug 2024, 18:13
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 21104 [53]
Given Kudos: 61
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 67722 [8]
Given Kudos: 438
Send PM
General Discussion
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1917 [3]
Given Kudos: 200
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GPA: 3.67
WE:Pharmaceuticals (Health Care)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 62 [1]
Given Kudos: 195
Send PM
Re: The first four digits of the six-digit initial password for a shopper' [#permalink]
Kudos
Can anyone please help with statement B

The sum of 1st and 3rd digit is 3, third digit can't be more than 1
All digits needs to be positive integers so the only possible value seems 2,1 so 1st Digit would be 2 and 3rd would be 1
And 4th Digit is easily figurable

Please help what am I missing

Posted from my mobile device
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1917 [1]
Send PM
Re: The first four digits of the six-digit initial password for a shopper' [#permalink]
Kudos
itoyj wrote:
Can anyone please help with statement B

All digits needs to be positive integers so the only possible value seems 2,1 so 1st Digit would be 2 and 3rd would be 1

the red part is not correct. C can be 0 or 1
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 62 [0]
Given Kudos: 195
Send PM
[quote="Mahmoudfawzy83"][quote="itoyj"]Can anyone please help with statement B

[color=#ff0000]All digits needs to be positive integers[/color] so the only possible value seems 2,1 so 1st Digit would be 2 and 3rd would be 1

[size=80][b][i]Posted from my mobile device[/i][/b][/size][/quote]

the red part is not correct. C can be 0 or 1[/quote]

Isn't it obvious, that dates needs to be positive, I thought that it is not even assumption, it is universal truth
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1917 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Dear itoyj
dates needs to be positive, but the tens digit of it can be zero.
if CD is the two-digit representing the month,
then January is 01 (where C = 0 and D = 1)
and December is 12 (where C = 1 and D = 2)
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 971 [2]
Given Kudos: 47
Send PM
Kudos
MahmoudFawzy wrote:
let the -digit be ABCD16

if (A+C)*7 produce a number with a unit digit of 1, then A+C = 3,
and the possible pairs of (A,C) are (3,0) and (2,1) because C can only be 0 or 1 (CD is the month which range between 01 and 12)

if (B+D)*3 produce a number with a unit digit of 6, then B+D can be equal to 2 or 8 , which produce too many possibilities.

from statement (1), the number is 21C116
as we deduced, if A = 2, then C = 1 , and the month is 11 (November) --> sufficient

from statement (2), the number is A1CD16 , and we already know that A+C = 3 --> insufficient
if B = 1, then D can be 1 or 7, and C can be 1 or 0 respectively

B+D = 8 and 8*3=24. That doesn't have a units digit of 6. I disagree with the red highlighted part
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1612 [0]
Given Kudos: 342
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GPA: 3.93
WE:Account Management (Education)
Send PM
gmatt1476 wrote:
The first four digits of the six-digit initial password for a shopper's card at a certain grocery store is the customer's birthday in day-month digit form. For example, 15 August corresponds to 1508 and 5 March corresponds to 0503. The 5th digit of the initial password is the units digit of seven times the sum of the first and third digits, and the 6th digit of the initial password is the units digit of three times the sum of the second and fourth digits. What month, and what day of that month, was a customer born whose initial password ends in 16 ?

(1) The customer's initial password begins with 21, and its fourth digit is 1.
(2) The sum of the first and third digits of the customer's initial password is 3, and its second digit is 1.

DS21891.01

So basically the question says,
There's a six digit number. What are the first, second, third and fourth digits?

Let First digit = f
Second digit = s
Third digit..... = t
Fourth digit .. = x
Fifth digit...... = 1
Sixth digit ..... = 6

And given in the question stem also is that;
1 = 7(f + t) Note: 1 is the unit digit

6 = 3(s + x) Note: 6 is the unit digit

You're asked to find the values of each of f, s, t, x!

(1) Tells us that f, s, x are 2,1,1 respectively, leaving us with only t missing.
Using 1 = 7(f + t) ---->>>> 1 = 7(1 + t); so only one unknown in one equation tells you the equation is solvable. No need to solve! No time! (1) is SUFFICIENT.

(2) Tells us that f + t = 3 and s = 1. We are finding f, t, x!
So using... 6 = 3(s + x) and 1 = 7(f + t)

6 = 3(1+x) solvable! now let's see if we can find f, t
1 = 7(f + t)
3 = f + t
Looks like two equations with 2 variables but that's a decoy!

1 = 7f + 7t
3 = f + t

f = 3-t

1 = 7(3-t) + 7t ---->>> 1 = 14 - 7t +7t ------>>> the variable vanishes! Phew! we have a senseles math 1= 14!
Once your variable vanishes into a senseless math just know that mathematically that equation doesn't exist.

So u have two variables with one equations. We can't solve it!

NOT SUFFICIENT

Answer is definitely B

I call this method the *mathist* method. When u are trying to analyse the question into getting a straight out answer and you couldn't or your mind gets fuzzy, just get down and mathy with the your pen.

Own Kudos [?]: 3289 [4]
Given Kudos: 9
Schools:Dartmouth College
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
gmatt1476 wrote:
The first four digits of the six-digit initial password for a shopper's card at a certain grocery store is the customer's birthday in day-month digit form. For example, 15 August corresponds to 1508 and 5 March corresponds to 0503. The 5th digit of the initial password is the units digit of seven times the sum of the first and third digits, and the 6th digit of the initial password is the units digit of three times the sum of the second and fourth digits. What month, and what day of that month, was a customer born whose initial password ends in 16 ?

(2) The sum of the first and third digits of the customer's initial password is 3, and its second digit is 1.

DS21891.01

Password:
A-B-C-D-1-6

Since A-B represents a day between 01 and 31, inclusive:
A = 0, 1, 2, 3

Since C-D represents a month between 01 and 12, inclusive::
C = 0 or 1

The 5th digit of the initial password is the units digit of seven times the sum of the first and third digits:
1 must be the units digit of a multiple of 7, suggesting the following:
7*3 = 21
Implication:
A and C -- the first and third digits -- must SUM TO 3, as follows:
A=2 and C=1
A=3 and C=0

The 6th digit of the initial password is the units digit of three times the sum of the second and fourth digits.
6 must be the units digit of a multiple of 3, suggesting the following:
3*2 = 6
Implication:
B and D -- the second and fourth digits -- must SUM TO 2, as follows:
B=0 and D=2
B=1 and D=1
B=2 and D=0

Statement 1: The customer's initial password begins with 21, and its fourth digit is 1.
First four digits:
2-1-C-1
Since A=2 and A+C=3, C=1.
Result:
2-1-1-1 --> 21 November
SUFFICIENT.

Statement 2: The sum of the first and third digits of the customer's initial password is 3, and its second digit is 1.
A-1-C-D
Since B=1 and B+D=2, D=1.
Result:
A-1-C-1.

If A=2 and C=1, we get:
2-1-1-1 --> 21 November

If A=3 and C=0, we get:
3-1-0-1 --> 31 January

Thus, the date of birth cannot be determined.
INSUFFICIENT.

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 265
Send PM
The first four digits of the six-digit initial password for a shopper' [#permalink]
By any means this problem has a lengthy/time consuming solution.
Could experts please advise what a test taker should do with such questions in exam - skip or attempt?
GMATGuruNY
chetan2u
Bunuel
VeritasKarishma

Thanks!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 106 [0]
Given Kudos: 226
Send PM
VeritasKarishma

Interesting read about punting. When I feel the need to punt I have started to use the "number of variables approach" (promoted, if I remember correctly, by MathRevolution) as a last resort and my accuracy on these guesses has been very good.

On this question, from statement 1 we are left with only one unknown digit and the info is likely to be sufficient. Statement 2, on the other hand, leaves us with three unknown digits and is less likely to be sufficient.

GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 9577 [1]
Given Kudos: 96
 Q51  V47
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Bambi2021 wrote:
Interesting read about punting. When I feel the need to punt I have started to use the "number of variables approach" (promoted, if I remember correctly, by MathRevolution) as a last resort and my accuracy on these guesses has been very good.

I could show you GMAT books written in the 1990s (that's well before my time in the field, but I've seen the books) that promote a 'count unknowns, count equations' strategy for DS. It's not new, and it was popular long before the company you mention even existed. But most people stopped teaching it (if they ever taught it at all), because it doesn't work, or at least it doesn't work any more. It might have worked back when ETS developed the GMAT (that's quite a while ago now), but when ACT took over, GMAT math got a lot harder, and DS questions started testing a lot more of the exceptions to rules. I've studied how successful the strategy is on large pools of official questions, and while it works moderately well on easy questions (which aren't questions midlevel or better test takers need a guessing strategy for), it works about as well as random guessing on medium and hard questions (it answers only 1/3 of them correctly, which is about as well as you do when you just rule out the answer choices that are obviously wrong, e.g. when a question asks "What is the value of positive integer x?" and Statement 1 says "x is a prime number", you can instantly rule out A and D).

I'd add that, strictly applied, the strategy doesn't even work on this question. You'd certainly correctly conclude Statement 1 is sufficient, but using Statement 2, you only have three unknowns left once the statement tells you a digit, and you appear to have three equations (or three relationships similar enough to equations that I imagine anyone using the strategy would count them as such). So someone using the strategy would presumably pick D, which is the wrong answer. Of course, since this strategy works 1/3 of the time on questions at this difficulty level, you'll find plenty of questions where it does in fact get you the right answer, but they'll be outnumbered by questions where it fails.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 67722 [0]
Given Kudos: 438
Send PM
Expert Reply
Bambi2021 wrote:
VeritasKarishma

On this question, from statement 1 we are left with only one unknown digit and the info is likely to be sufficient. Statement 2, on the other hand, leaves us with three unknown digits and is less likely to be sufficient.

Bambi2021 - I am glad that it is working out for you but be mindful that a punt is a punt when you spend no more than 30 secs on it. It brings in value in terms of saved time.
I am on the same page as IanStewart above (which is often the case, I admit!). In my experience, GMAT tests far too many "exceptions" for such "rules/strategies" to make much/any difference.
GMAT rewards strong fundamentals and good understanding. Rest all is questionable.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 106 [0]
Given Kudos: 226
Send PM
IanStewart wrote:
I could show you GMAT books written in the 1990s (that's well before my time in the field, but I've seen the books) that promote a 'count unknowns, count equations' strategy for DS. It's not new, and it was popular long before the company you mention even existed. But most people stopped teaching it (if they ever taught it at all), because it doesn't work, or at least it doesn't work any more. It might have worked back when ETS developed the GMAT (that's quite a while ago now), but when ACT took over, GMAT math got a lot harder, and DS questions started testing a lot more of the exceptions to rules. I've studied how successful the strategy is on large pools of official questions, and while it works moderately well on easy questions (which aren't questions midlevel or better test takers need a guessing strategy for), it works about as well as random guessing on medium and hard questions (it answers only 1/3 of them correctly, which is about as well as you do when you just rule out the answer choices that are obviously wrong, e.g. when a question asks "What is the value of positive integer x?" and Statement 1 says "x is a prime number", you can instantly rule out A and D).

I'd add that, strictly applied, the strategy doesn't even work on this question. You'd certainly correctly conclude Statement 1 is sufficient, but using Statement 2, you only have three unknowns left once the statement tells you a digit, and you appear to have three equations (or three relationships similar enough to equations that I imagine anyone using the strategy would count them as such). So someone using the strategy would presumably pick D, which is the wrong answer. Of course, since this strategy works 1/3 of the time on questions at this difficulty level, you'll find plenty of questions where it does in fact get you the right answer, but they'll be outnumbered by questions where it fails.

Nice call Ian. Thanks for the lesson.

Maybe I should not call this a punting strategy, but more of a last resort guessing strategy. Its not that I apply the strategy strictly, thats true, but more that I consider the number of variables as one of the factors in trying to assess the degree of freedom still left to get rid of. Another factor could be whether any upper limit is given. Its not unlikely Ive already been able to eliminate 2 or 3 options when Im facing such a situation.

RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35683 [0]
Given Kudos: 333
Send PM
Expert Reply
gmatt1476 wrote:

DS21891.01

I will not fret over the wordings, but will take home the point that there are certain relations between digits and last two digits are 16.

So the password with combined information becomes 21A116.
Thus, one unknown digit A. But there is a relationship involving third digit.

The 5th digit of the initial password is the units digit of seven times the sum of the first and third digits
So 1 is the units digit of 7 times (2+A) => 7(2+A), which has a units digit 1.
Now ONLY 7*3 gives a units digit 1, making 2+A=3……A=1.
Number is 211116, that is 21st of Nov.
Sufficient

So the password with combined information becomes B1A116.
Thus, two unknown digits. But there is a relationship involving first and third digit.

The 5th digit of the initial password is the units digit of seven times the sum of the first and third digits
So (B+A) =3 => 7(1+A).
B is first digit of date so it can be 0, 1, 2 or 3.
A is the first digit of month, so 0 or 1.
Thus, (B,A) can be (3,0) or (2,1)
Thus, number can be 310116 that gives date as 31st of Jan.
Or, it can be 211116 that gives date as 21st of Nov.
Both dates are valid, so two possibilities.
Insufficient

A
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 872 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
95291 posts