Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 16:43 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 16:43

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 241 [26]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: Marketing, International Business
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7776 [5]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 241 [2]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: Marketing, International Business
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [1]
Given Kudos: 112
Schools: Tuck '19
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Send PM
The Kenyan government, working closely with conservation groups [#permalink]
Kudos
Isn't there a difference between the phrases "follow rules strictly" and "follow strict rules" used in option B and D respectively? What is the intended meaning of the original sentence? I marked D because B doesn't follow the phrase as given in original sentence.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 438 [0]
Given Kudos: 349
Concentration: General Management, Operations
Schools: HBS '19 (S)
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
Send PM
Re: The Kenyan government, working closely with conservation groups [#permalink]
Why is B wrong? ... I am confused between B and D both seem to be right
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 101 [0]
Given Kudos: 87
Send PM
Re: The Kenyan government, working closely with conservation groups [#permalink]
Hi,
Isn't there a change in the meaning in B? "follow strict rules " to " follow rules strictly"
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 82
Send PM
It's an easy one but I still got it wrong because of "strictly"

adverbs DO NOT modify noun or pronoun, BUT "limiting", gerund, is acting as a verb here.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 566 [0]
Given Kudos: 755
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V36
GRE 1: Q157 V157
GPA: 3.4
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Subanta wrote:
The Kenyan government, working closely with conservation groups, has proposed a plan that would require developers who own land within elephant habitats follow strict rules limiting new developments so as to protect the elephant population.

[*]follow strict rules limiting new developments so as to protect

[*]to follow rules strictly limiting new development in order to protect

[*]follow strict rules which would be limiting new development, thereby protecting

[*]to follow strict rules limiting new development for the protection of

[*]for the following strict rules which limit new development for the protection of

The confusion around this question is because of use of strictly between rules and limiting .
But strictly is an adverb so it must modify anything other than nouns here it is modifying limiting so it is correct .
I think a comma before strictly limiting would have been more appropriate

Experts any thought on this ?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hi gmat experts, just for my understanding, do we use "follow" instead of "to follow" if the sentence is as such (note the comma before "who" and after "habitats":

The Kenyan government, working closely with conservation groups, has proposed a plan that would require developers, who own land within elephant habitats, follow strict rules limiting new developments so as to protect the elephant population.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 88 [0]
Given Kudos: 87
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V37
GPA: 4
Send PM
GMATNinja , VeritasKarishma

B and D both seem correct. How do we eliminate one of these?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1665 [0]
Given Kudos: 348
GMAT 1: 650 Q50 V28
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V40
Send PM
DmitryFarber wrote:
The difference is in the modifiers. "For the protection of" is a noun modifier, so it would (incorrectly) apply to development. "In order to protect" is an adverbial modifier, so it can refer back to the action: "follow rules."

This kind of switch between noun and adverbial modifiers is fairly common. For instance, in the problem linked below, notice how "of the 1930's"--a noun modifier--incorrectly applies to "daytime hours," creating an absurd meaning. Other answer choices fix this by using "in the 1930's"--an adverbial modifier--to refer back to the verb, "moved."

https://gmatclub.com/forum/although-ear ... 19819.html

Could please elaborate on this, it wud be really helpful
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
how do we choose between strict rules vs rules strictly limiting?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 89
Send PM
How is b correct, B changes the meaning completely, i don't think "rules strictly limiting" and "strict rules limiting" are the same. One says rules are strict but nothing about how rules must be implemented, other says rules are limiting something strictly. Can someone explain to me what am i missing here.

Very Poorly worded question.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
iridescent995 wrote:
How is b correct, B changes the meaning completely, i don't think "rules strictly limiting" and "strict rules limiting" are the same. One says rules are strict but nothing about how rules must be implemented, other says rules are limiting something strictly. Can someone explain to me what am i missing here.

Hi,
Between "follow rules strictly" and "follow strict rules", former is much better.
If you ask a logical question at that phrase 2, what are strict rules? It's quite vague. Whereas, "follow rules strictly" is quite straightforward. "They have to follow rules strictly, no other choice".

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 37
Send PM
Sahil2208 wrote:
iridescent995 wrote:

Hi,
Between "follow rules strictly" and "follow strict rules", former is much better.
If you ask a logical question at that phrase 2, what are strict rules? It's quite vague. Whereas, "follow rules strictly" is quite straightforward. "They have to follow rules strictly, no other choice".

Posted from my mobile device

I don't agree. Both phrases make sense, just with different meanings.
And since GMAT does focus on keeping the original sentence's meaning, I'm not convince with option B. Need another explanation for why D is incorrect other than the "strict" part.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts