Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 18:25 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 18:25

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
 Q45  V42
WE 1: Banking
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [1]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [1]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: The London Business School 2011 Thread [#permalink]
Kudos
rid82 wrote:
xiaoyankantian wrote:
rid82 wrote:
If I'm not wrong for the interviews it was also 5 PM UK time on November 5, but I received mine on the 4...

Hi, did you and your wife both apply to LBS?
I also received the invitation on 4th, 6:04 pm UK time.

yes :)

it's amazing!
good luck
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Schools:LBS (Admit), Insead (Admit), Wharton (Admit+$), Kellogg (Waitlist), HBS (Ding)
 Q49  V41
Send PM
Kudos
stress reduction ...check this out :D......saw this on some blog :)

https://2.bp.blogspot.com/_7a_aUiPRCdw/T ... ture+8.png
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Concentration: General Management
Schools:London Business School Class of 2013
 Q50  V36
Send PM
Kudos
OMG...I just got in!!!!!!!!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [2]
Concentration: General Management
Schools:London Business School Class of 2013
 Q50  V36
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Congratulations to everyone who have also got admitted. I look forward to seeing you in London!

For the waitlisters, you must get in touch with bsd_lover. He is the poster boy of LBS waitlisters on GC and is probably one of the most helpful guys around (realized it after reading LBS threads of the past 2 years and took some advice too under another login name myself sometime back).

For people who have got dinged, I truly believe, if you are efforts are honest and if a school does not admit you, its just a mismatch of likes and dislikes from both sides. That essentially means you will find your destiny somewhere else, which might turn out the best for you.

This whole experience has really humbled me and I really want to thank this forum for helping me out so much all along!! :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [1]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Strategy / Operations
Schools:Kellogg R1 (waitlist), LBS R1 (waitlist), <strong>Ivey+$$$</strong>
 Q50  V42
GPA: 3.5
WE 1: Program Management / Marketing / Technology Integration
Send PM
Kudos
Waitlisted...fml.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Kudos
rid82 wrote:
I'M IN !!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

congratuations!
how about your wife?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Schools:LBS (Admit), Insead (Admit), Wharton (Admit+$), Kellogg (Waitlist), HBS (Ding)
 Q49  V41
Send PM
Kudos
hey bluedreamer......I have decided on LBS over insead and wharton +$ !!!! :)
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1682 [1]
Given Kudos: 210
Send PM
Kudos
Sure - I think I share the view of the administration. The Booth administration has impressed me over LBS as well and I have only dealt with their international office so far. Comparing the two schools is not easy. They both, although competing top business schools, represent two very distinct experiences. Its like saying I'm an Angelina Jolie fan v/s I'm a Scarlett Johanssen fan. Each of these beauties have their own quirks and the folks that get attracted to Angelina would be attracted to her for reasons very different to the reasons of folks attracted to Scarlett - but that doesn't make either a bad choice. Neither does it qualify one as a decidedly better choice than the other.

LBS administration and marketing lets it down. But people dont go to school for its administration or for its spin doctors. People go to a business school for its faculty, its student body and the opportunities it provides (not necessarily in that order). Ironically for such a poorly marketed school, LBS has a rockstar marketing faculty (Nirmalya Kumar, Marco Bertini). It also has rock star Finance and Strategy faculty. It has fewer electives than Booth - but lets get real, how many b-school students want to do Phd level Applied Regression analysis anyway (I kinda did and hence I am using the exchange programme to Booth ;) ). The electives at LBS cover all major bases and are extremely well taught.

The student body at LBS is unbelievable. You will not find such diversity anywhere else in the world - not at Harvard, not at Stanford or Wharton or any other 2 year programme in the world. Stern markets its collaborative community. LBS is just as collaborative if not more. Wharton prides itself in the student run nature of campus activities. Well LBS is absolutely driven by students - everything from the Asia Business Forum to the Private Equity conference to the Mexico trek. The kind of guests we are able to attract just by being in London is unreal.

Almost all top recruiters hire from here and some exclusively so. The alumni base is all over London and most part of the world (owing to the international nature of the students). We will see some pretty amazing placement numbers for my year (2011) because recruiting has really picked up after the crisis. Even during the crisis LBS has been one of the better performers.

Anyway I'll post more about Booth later as I start classes there. Good luck with your choice and feel free to pm me with any specific questions.

rid82 wrote:
I didn't want to create any controversy with that post.

I had read some post before about how good was the portal, and when I finally received my login credentials and log in the system, I didn't like it as much as I thought I would. That's why I said I was a bit disappointed.

I didn't have time to go deep in any of both portals. If you are LBS student in an exchange in Booth, you will probably know them much better than me.

Anyway, as I said, in my opinion, the first impression I got after playing with them is that Booth's was far better.

In fact, I have the impression that at Booth everything is very well organized. Since the day I have been admitted to both schools, Booth is doing much better job than LBS to convince me and my wife to join the school (apart from the scholarship stuff).

By the way, I would love to have your opinion about Booth vs LBS, as we are still considering both options. In any case I'm very interested in exchanging in the other.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Kudos
waitlistedlbs wrote:
@bsd_lover/anyone who has the details please revert -

I was a R1 applicant to LBS and have been placed on waitlist. I want to check a few details:

1. What % of the waitlists are cleared by LBS (Are too many people placed on the LBS waitlist)? Do movements happen as early as the first review, which is in mid-Feb?
2. What % of the class is from the waitlist?
3. Are R1 waitlists given any priority among the overall pool of waitlists?
4. What are the chances that if I stick around on the waitlist till late next year, I will be offered deferred admit/early consideration for class of 2014?
5. Are waitlists from a country cleared only if admitted applicants from the country/region with a similar professional background drop out? (Am assuming so as the school might want to maintain a certain level of geographical and professional representation for its class).

I'm from India and things would work well for me if I'm cleared from the waitlist to admit status in the first review itself. Else chances are thin that I can make it. By any chance does LBS clear the international applicant waitlist (I mean outside Europe) earlier? I have applied only to LBS and all I can do now is wait for some good news. Is there anything to cheer for the waitlisted except for meager hope of joining the 2013 class (as past LBS waitlist stories don't look very encouraging).

Hi waitlistedlbs,

Unfortunately, everyone in the waitlist has the same questions but no one can provide accurate answers, since LBS doesn't disclose figures nor information about its waitlist process.

I applied for the MBA2012 (R2) and was waitlisted in March 2010. In my experience, you will not see movement at all from now to June-July. In June-July, very few spots will open up for waitlisters. Many people in the waitlist will withdraw voluntarily throughout the process.

If LBS is your first choice, as it was mine, be patient, since you will have very good chances to be accepted for MBA2014 in case you make it to the end of the road.

I was accepted in September 2010 (earlier than R1 applications) and will be attending to the MBA Class of 2013 by the way.

You can read bsd_lover posts as they are very very useful.

I wish you the best of luck in this tough journey you will have.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
Kudos
I'm not quite sure of the reasons why. They were never available to my class (2011) to begin with. Although there are plenty of opportunities for Africa as a target. I know of a few people who are doing projects in South Africa. PE in Africa is big and several recruiters have advertised for Africa based roles. Besides that there are several social opportunities to visit - Mt. Kilimanjaro climb is quite popular and so are visits to Morocco.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Kudos
mms wrote:
Hi,

Does anyone know how the tuition payments are made? In how many installments and when each?

I keep reading in the scholarship part of the website "first year tuition fee" and I am not sure how much that is and what it means.

Thanks,

Marcos

1st year:
- plan 1: pay full amount £26,950 by 30 Sep 2011
- plan 2: 3 installments (with an additional charge of £250... and the last installment deadline is March 2012)

2nd year:
- plan 1: pay full amount £26,950 by 3 Oct 2012
- plan 2: 3 installments (with an additional charge of £250... and the last installment deadline is March 2013)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Kudos
Just called LBS the lady at the adcom said all the invites/dings go out tomorrow evening. so good luck all.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [1]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Ivy General
Schools:Booth R2, HBS R2 (w/o int), Sloan R2, Kellogg R2, LBS R2, GSB R2 w/o int
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
Kudos
I have to commend LBS for the way they handle releases. They keep to a deadline and it makes for a much less anxious process than schools that drag things on for weeks. But I won't be so cheery if I get dinged!
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Kudos
debmalyadutta wrote:
This must have been asked ... But does the LBS application status change from "submitted" to "complete"?

Someone earlier in the forum has replied that his status did not change from "submitted" to anything even after getting an admit.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [1]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Kudos
Interview invite for me as well :)
SVP
SVP
Send PM
Kudos
The most common interview method is via an alumnus in a location close to the applicant. They try to pair you up with an alumnus with similar background/industry etc. so I personally think its better to interview with the alumnus where you'll have more of an opportunity to establish a connection (as opposed to interviewing directly with admissions). You can of course always fly out to London to get the feel for the city / classes during admits weekend (or if you happen to come here for travel or business).

lufesouza wrote:
People who will/was interviewed in London, were you interviewed by an alumnus or by adcom?
Did you have the chance to see the campus and attend a class ?
I am located in the US, and I was wondering whether it should be worth flying over there for the interview.
I appreciate any comment/answer.
Manager
Manager
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Kudos
Guys, I will get location of my alumnus in a week or so; however I might I have travel to a completely different location next 3 weeks (not sure yet). Any idea how LBS might be able to help me out on this?
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  68   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts