Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 00:46 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 00:46

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 335 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Send PM
Send PM
Send PM
Professor Profiles: Youngme Moon, Harvard Business School [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: Professor Profiles: Youngme Moon, Harvard Business School

Many MBA applicants feel that they are purchasing a brand when they choose a business school. However, the educational experience you will have is what is crucial to your future, and no one will affect your education more than your professors. Today, we focus on Youngme Moon from Harvard Business School (HBS).

In addition to receiving the HBS Student Association Faculty Award seven times, Youngme Moon was also the inaugural recipient of the Hellman Faculty Fellowship in 2002–2003 for distinction in research. Moon is currently the Donald K. David Professor of Business Administration and has served as the senior associate dean for strategy and innovation and as the senior associate dean for the MBA program at the school. Her work has been published in the Harvard Business Review, the Journal of Consumer Research, the Journal of Consumer Psychology, the Journal of Experimental Psychology, and the Journal of Applied Social Psychology. Students described Moon to mbaMission as being extremely friendly and accessible, even going out for casual dinners with students.

Moon’s bestselling 2010 book, Different: Escaping the Competitive Herd (Crown Business), is described by the publisher as showing “how to succeed in a world where conformity reigns… but exceptions rule.” Moon co-hosts a weekly podcast, After Hours, which is presented by the Harvard Business Review. The podcast features Moon and two other HBS professors discussing current events “that sit at the crossroads of business and culture,” according to the podcast’s iTunes description.

For more information about HBS and 16 other top-ranked business schools, check out our free mbaMission Insider’s Guides.
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Send PM
Effective Onboarding: Tips for Feeling Confident Starting Your New Job [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: Effective Onboarding: Tips for Feeling Confident Starting Your New Job
Graduation is just around the corner for many MBA students, and so is the start of their first post-MBA jobs. Getting off on the right foot is critical for job satisfaction and long-term success within the organization.

Some organizations offer substantial onboarding and training programs, while other companies (often start-ups) will expect you to take the reins and forge ahead in your new role. Regardless, the following five tips can set you up for success:

[list]
[b]Gain clarity on your responsibilities.[/b] Ask your manager about metrics of success, and learn about the company’s culture and unspoken norms. Listen carefully to the directions your manager offers, and ask other trusted colleagues for suggestions on meeting expectations. Understand how your work fits into the larger team/department’s work. [/*]
[b]Be communicative.[/b] Keep your manager apprised of the status of your projects—based on their preferred working style. Find out where to go and whom to ask about specific topics. Ask for support, but always prepare a suggested approach with language like, “I am not clear on next steps, but here’s what I am thinking. Am I on the right track?” or “I am thinking about doing X next but wanted to confirm it with you first.”[/*]
[b]Get to know your team.[/b] Understand the working style of each team member to promote trust and productivity. Ask questions like, “What are your preferred working styles? When and how will we give each other feedback? What do we need from each other to do our best?” Participate in office activities. Consider joining affinity groups, and be appreciative of their support. [/*]
[b]Accelerate your learning.[/b] Ask for specific feedback. Try something like, “This week, X happened. Can we discuss it more?” Pay attention to non-verbal feedback—notice the changes/edits made to your work product and ask why they were made. If you are struggling, ask for templates or samples of strong work product or connect with internal experts. [/*]
[b]Reframe your worries.[/b] It is common to feel overwhelmed (or even underqualified) when you start a new job, but do not worry—if you were an expert at it on Day 1, you would be bored by Day 30. Instead, try approaching each day with new energy and curiosity, as it is an opportunity to learn. And remember, as the new person, your fresh eyes on the business issues your team has been tackling for months may be a welcome perspective. [/*]
[/list]
Finally, update your LinkedIn profile to announce your new role to your network!
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Send PM
How to Analyze Your GMAT Practice Problems [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: How to Analyze Your GMAT Practice Problems
With regard to the GMAT, raw intellectual horsepower helps, but it is not everything. Manhattan Prep’s Stacey Koprince teaches you how to perform at your best on test day by using some common sense.

Did you know that, on any particular problem, roughly 80% of your learning comes after you have picked the answer? Turns out, we do not learn much while in the process of doing a problem, especially when the clock is ticking. We are just trying to remember (and use!) everything that we learned before we started working on that problem.

Afterward, though, we can take all the time we want to figure out how to get better—that is where we really learn. Did I understand what they were asking? Did I know how to do the math or reasoning necessary to get to the answer? Is there a more efficient way to do that work? Did I make any mistakes or fall into any traps? If so, which ones and why? How could I make an educated guess?

In a nutshell: if you are not spending at least as long reviewing a question as you spent doing it in the first place, then you are not maximizing your learning.

Take a look at this article: How to Analyze a Practice Problem. It contains a list of questions to ask yourself when reviewing a problem. Take note of a couple of things:

– Yes, you still ask yourself these questions even when you answer the question correctly.

– No, you do not need to ask yourself every single question for each problem you review; choose the most appropriate questions based upon how the problem went for you.

Want some examples of how to do this? Glad you asked. Below, you will find links to articles containing an analysis of a sample problem for each of the six main question types. Happy studying!

How to analyze the following:

Sentence Correction

Critical Reasoning

Reading Comprehension

Data Sufficiency

Problem Solving

Integrated Reasoning Table
Send PM
MBA Admissions Myths Destroyed: I Love Your School So Much I Cannot St [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: MBA Admissions Myths Destroyed: I Love Your School So Much I Cannot Stop Writing About It
Although admissions officers want to know that you are interested in their school, they do not want to read your repeated professions of love for it. Some candidates mistakenly believe that in their essays, they must constantly repeat enthusiastic statements about how they will improve their skills at their target school, regardless of whether the school asks for such information.

For instance, consider the following sample (hypothetical) response to the essay question “What achievement are you most proud of and why?”:

“In starting ABC Distributors, I learned a great deal about entrepreneurship, and I hope to formalize this knowledge at the XYZ School of Management. Only with XYZ’s vast entrepreneurial resources and profound alumni connections will I be able to take my next venture to a higher level. At XYZ, I will grow my business skills and potential.”

We can identify numerous problems with this submission—including that the statements are cloying and have no real substance. However, the most egregious issue is that the school never asked applicants to discuss how the program would affect their abilities. Thus, the “Why our school?” component is just empty pandering.

As you write your essays, always focus on answering the essay questions as they are written—do not try to anticipate or respond to unasked questions. So, if your target school does not explicitly request that you address the question “Why our school?,” do not look for ways to sneakily answer that question in your essay(s).

Of course, if the school does ask for this information, then certainly do your research and provide it. Again, the key is to always respond to the school’s question and give the admissions committee the information it wants.
Send PM
A Sense of Community at UC Berkeley Haas and Stanford GSB [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: A Sense of Community at UC Berkeley Haas and Stanford GSB
The Haas School of Business at the University of California, Berkeley, is one of the smaller top MBA programs in the United States, with an average class size of between 300 and 350 students. Despite its small size, however, Berkeley Haas offers a diverse community, both regionally and professionally. Roughly 40% of each incoming class is made up of international students (the Class of 2022 featured only 21% international students, but this is likely because of the ongoing coronavirus outbreak), and each entering class as a whole reflects a wide array of interests and professional backgrounds. Each of Berkeley Haas’s incoming classes is divided into smaller groups, called cohorts, and students remain in their cohort for the first semester, taking all core courses together. Within the cohort, students are further divided into study groups. Study group members work together to prepare for presentations and exams as well as to study cases, and these small groups help enhance and reinforce the relationships between classmates. Noted a second-year student with whom mbaMission spoke, “With everyone trying to work out their identity at the start,” the cohort “makes everything less overwhelming.”

Located just an hour’s drive from Berkeley Haas, the Stanford Graduate School of Business (GSB) is similarly well known for its close-knit atmosphere, though its typical class size is a bit larger, with approximately 400 to 450 students. However, the school’s relatively small class size allows it to provide students with individualized coaching. First-year students at the GSB receive academic advising to help them create a customized plan for fulfilling their core requirements based on their strengths, weaknesses, experiences, and interests. Students can also take advantage of Career Management Center advisors, who can offer new perspectives on life beyond the GSB, and Arbuckle Leadership Fellows, who work with first-year students through lab sessions and one-on-one meetings.

For more information on Berkeley Haas, the Stanford GSB, or 15 other leading MBA programs, check out our free mbaMission Insider’s Guides.
Send PM
Get an Early Start on Your Resume and Personal Goals [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: Get an Early Start on Your Resume and Personal Goals
We at mbaMission try to encourage business school candidates to get as much “noise” out of the way as possible before they begin working on their official application(s) and essays, even several months in advance. We want applicants to have the freedom to reflect on their experiences, formally and thoroughly brainstorm, choose ideas, prepare outlines, and then focus on crafting powerful essays. Essentially, we want them to be unfettered as they engage in what is, for many, one of the most significant creative challenges they will ever face.

If you are targeting Round 1 deadlines this fall, using this time to address a task such as preparing your resume—a process that often requires several rounds of revisions—will allow you to focus better on the other elements of your application later. By revising your resume now, you can dedicate the time needed to do so at a more leisurely pace, before “crunch time” hits. Further, you will lay the foundation for brainstorming for your essays by reminding yourself of your most significant accomplishments.

If you prepare your resume now, you will definitely thank yourself later for having completed this task early. Note: We recognize that you may achieve additional accomplishments before applying. We nonetheless suggest that you update your resume now and then revisit and amend it as necessary one to two weeks before your application deadlines.

A similar message applies to personal leadership—you always have time to take steps to bolster your chances of admission. Many candidates completely ignore the personal side of their candidacy. But if you have, for example, completed a triathlon, learned a language, published an article, or simply been an inordinately dedicated neighbor/sibling/mentor in an unofficial capacity, your story can provide an interesting point of differentiation.

So, if you have an activity or adventure in mind that you would otherwise complete later anyway, we recommend pursuing it now. We are not suggesting that you start writing poetry tomorrow in hopes of getting something published, for instance, but if you are a dedicated poet and have verses that you have long intended to submit, do so now. If you can run 20 miles and have always planned to run a marathon, do it now. These kinds of personal stories can help set you apart from your fellow applicants.
Send PM
Professor Profiles: Antonio Fatás, INSEAD [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: Professor Profiles: Antonio Fatás, INSEAD

Many MBA applicants feel that they are purchasing a brand when they choose a business school. However, the educational experience you will have is what is crucial to your future, and no one will affect your education more than your professors. Today, we focus on Antonio Fatás from INSEAD.

The Portuguese Council Chaired Professor of European Studies, Antonio Fatás teaches macroeconomics on INSEAD’s Singapore campus. Fatás has served as a consultant for numerous international financial organizations, including the International Monetary Fund, the World Bank, the OECD, and the European Commission, as well as for the U.S. Federal Reserve and even the government of the United Kingdom. A recognized global expert on fiscal policy, business cycles, and the economics of European integration, Fatás has published pieces in the Journal of Economic Growth, Credit and Banking, the Quarterly Journal of Economics, the Journal of Money, the Journal of Public Economics, and the European Economic Review, among other outlets, and has been featured regularly on CNBC and BBC World News as well as in the Financial Times, Forbes, the Huffington Post, the New York Times, and The Economist.

One student we interviewed who had taken Fatás’s macroeconomics class observed, “It was an incredible learning experience, and I enjoyed the course a lot. It’s one of those courses where you say, okay, the fee is worth this course, because I got so much from it that I feel very well rewarded.” And another student with whom we spoke described class with Fatás as “actually amazing.”

For more information about INSEAD and 16 other top-ranked business schools, check out our free mbaMission Insider’s Guides.

Send PM
What to Do If You Have Decided to Postpone the GMAT Exam for a Year [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: What to Do If You Have Decided to Postpone the GMAT Exam for a Year
With regard to the GMAT, raw intellectual horsepower helps, but it is not everything. Manhattan Prep’s Stacey Koprince teaches you how to perform at your best on test day by using some common sense.

In the past, we have talked about what to try if your deadlines are rapidly approaching and you do not yet have the score that you want. What if you decide to postpone the exam and possibly your B-school applications?

First, a pep talk. You made a choice; you did not “fail.” You could, for example, choose to apply this year but lower your standards in terms of where you apply. In fact, depending on your goals, this may be better than waiting a year to try to get into a “better” (or at least more highly ranked) school.

On the other hand, let us say that you are only willing to spend more than $100K if you can get into a certain “level” school, and your GMAT score is holding you back. In that case, postponing for a year may be the way to go. Any “helpful” friends or family members who say, “Hey, I thought you were applying to business school!” can be told, “It is actually a smarter career move for me to wait until next year.” They do not need to know that the GMAT had anything to do with that decision.

So how do you get that score?

There is no guarantee you will get a certain score. Now that you have given yourself some more time, though, put together a smart plan that will give you the best possible chance.

Take a break

If you are already burned out (and most people in this situation are), take a breather. The best thing you can do for yourself right now is clear your brain and ratchet down the stress levels. Come back to the GMAT with a fresh perspective in January.

Set up a plan

Whatever you were doing before was not working for some reason. You need to figure out why so that you can then figure out what kind of plan will work for you.

First, what was your broad study plan/pattern? Were you working on your own or with friends? With a class? With a tutor?

Second, what materials were you using and how were you using them? How were you actually studying/learning when you were not in class or with a tutor?

If you had/have a teacher or tutor, contact them for help with this step. Make sure to provide detailed information about how you were working on your own and any ideas you have about what was and was not working. Also ask other experts for advice—post on some forums, speak to other teachers or tutors, and so on.

The article Developing a GMAT Study Plan contains a number of useful resources to help you figure out next steps. Note that the article is a two-parter. I have linked to the first part here; the second half is linked at the end of the first part.

Questions to ask yourself

I need more help

Research your options now (class? books? online materials?) and set things in motion so that you can hit the ground running when the time comes. Then, after taking a break, you can come back with a clear head, a fresh perspective, and a plan—all of which are critical if you want to have a good shot at overcoming the GMAT!
Send PM
MBA Admissions Myths Destroyed: Do Alumni Connections Help Get You Adm [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: MBA Admissions Myths Destroyed: Do Alumni Connections Help Get You Admitted?
From time to time, we at mbaMission visit admissions officers at the top-ranked business schools, which gives us the opportunity to ask rather frank questions. On one such visit, we urged an admissions officer to give us the truth about the extent of alumni influence in the admissions process, and the response we got was rather surprising: “We get ten letters each year from [a globally famous alumnus], telling us that this or that MBA candidate is the greatest thing since sliced bread. He gets upset when we don’t admit ‘his’ applicants, but what makes him think that he deserves to decide ten spots in our class?”

Many applicants fret about their lack of personal alumni connection with their target schools, and the myth persists that admission to business school is about who you know rather than who you are or what you can offer. Of course, these latter qualities are much more important, and a standout applicant who knows no graduates at all from the MBA program they are targeting is still a standout applicant and should get in—just as a weak applicant who knows a large number of alumni or a particularly well-known graduate is still a weak applicant and should not get in. Clearly, some extreme exceptions exist where influence can be exerted, but “standard” applicants do not need to worry that every seat at the top programs has already been claimed by someone with good connections.

Keep in mind that the admissions committees want to ensure that a diversity of ideas and experiences is represented in the classroom. Every top MBA class includes people from various socioeconomic backgrounds, nationalities, religions, professional backgrounds, ages, and so on. Harvard Business School, for example, has approximately 900 students in each incoming class, and the vast majority of these students do not personally know a CEO or the president of a country. And who knows—these days, such connections could even be a liability.
Send PM
Global Perspective MBAs at Georgetown University and George Washington [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: Global Perspective MBAs at Georgetown University and George Washington University
Georgetown University’s McDonough School of Business has featured a global emphasis in its curriculum for the past several years, starting with an updating of its MBA curriculum in 2012. The school’s dean at the time, David A. Thomas, announced the changes as a response to the evolving global business landscape, meant to equip students “with the skills to be innovative leaders—whether they are joining established organizations or becoming entrepreneurs.”

During the fall semester, first-year students are required to take “Structure of Global Industries,” an immersive core course that provides a foundation in international business. The global emphasis continues in the second year, when students take the core course “Business and Policy in a Global Economy,” and culminates with the school’s signature “Global Business Experience.” In this program, students take on consulting roles working for actual international organizations or Fortune 500 companies. In the spring, student teams travel to their respective client’s country—in 2019, for example, these included Ghana, South Korea, Germany, the United Arab Emirates, and India—to gain firsthand experience working in a global consulting and management setting. After the participating students return to campus, they present the stories and takeaways from their experiences to their classmates at the school’s Global Business Conference.

Just four miles away from Georgetown, the George Washington University School of Business offers a similarly international MBA experience—in fact, the program is titled “Global MBA.” During the first year of the program, students take such core courses as “Microeconomics for the World Economy” and “Competition in the Global Economy” before taking part in the Consulting Abroad Program, during which all Global MBA students spend seven weeks preparing on campus in Washington, DC, and then two weeks abroad in the partner company’s country. Although the novel coronavirus outbreak prevented students from traveling abroad in 2020, the teams delivered their presentations virtually to their partner companies in Germany, South Africa, and Singapore.

Finally, Global MBA students have the option of enrolling in one of the school’s graduate certificate programs—such certificates as “Global Management” and “Tourism Management” may be of interest to those hoping to focus on international experiences.
Send PM
University of Chicago (Booth) Essay Analysis, 2021–2022 [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: University of Chicago (Booth) Essay Analysis, 2021–2022
[url=https://i1.wp.com/www.mbamission.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/155902_10153939359275402_1622823825_n.jpg?ssl=1][img]https://i1.wp.com/www.mbamission.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/155902_10153939359275402_1622823825_n.jpg?resize=250%2C250&ssl=1[/img][/url]
The two required application essay prompts for the University of Chicago Booth School of Business complement each other well, allowing candidates to offer insight into both their professional lives and their personal lives. The school also offers applicants significant leeway in how thoroughly they want (or feel they need) to respond to the questions by stipulating a minimum word count of 250 but no maximum. That said, the admissions committee does include a “response guideline,” in which it encourages applicants to “think strategically” about how long their essays ultimately are. No doubt Chicago Booth is interested in learning more about you and your story (that fits the given question, of course) but is simultaneously not interested in learning absolutely everything you can think of to share. Our full essay analysis follows.

[b]Response Guidelines: We trust that you will use your best judgment in determining how long your submission should be, but we recommend that you think strategically about how to best allocate the space.[/b]

[b]Essay 1: How will the Booth MBA help you achieve your immediate and long-term post-MBA career goals? (Minimum 250 words, no maximum)[/b]

If this essay prompt seems rather simplistic and straightforward, that is because it is. Chicago Booth is requesting very fundamental—yet incredibly important—information and really just wants you to provide it so the school can understand your motivation for pursuing an MBA from its program and where you expect to go in your career afterward. Be as specific as possible in your description of where you see yourself after graduation and several years down the line, from the industry and role to any additional details about which you currently feel confident (perhaps specific companies or responsibilities that appeal to you in particular). Explain what has brought you to this point in your professional life, not only your career progression to date but also what has inspired you to earn an advanced degree as a vital tool in moving forward. And ideally, take the extra step of noting which of the program’s resources you believe will be most helpful to you in your pursuits. To be effective, this needs to be more than a passing mention, so do your research on the school and draw a clear picture for your admissions reader as to how and why the particular offerings you have identified relate directly to your needs and how you intend to apply them.

This essay includes many of the most elemental components of a traditional personal statement essay. We therefore encourage you to download your free copy of the [b][url=https://shop.mbamission.com/products/personal-statement-guide]mbaMission Personal Statement Guide[/url][/b], in which we provide much more in-depth guidance on how to consider and respond to these sorts of questions, along with numerous illustrative examples.

[b]Essay 2: An MBA is as much about personal growth as it is about professional development. In addition to sharing your experience and goals in terms of career, we’d like to learn more about you outside of the office. Use this opportunity to tell us something about who you are… (Minimum 250 words, no maximum.)[/b]

As we have seen, Chicago Booth’s first essay question focuses specifically on candidates’ professional paths and aspirations, and with this prompt, the admissions committee is very explicitly directing candidates to discuss their personas and lives, separate from the workplace. Booth is essentially asking for whatever information or insight you believe it needs to understand you more fully as an individual and to be able to evaluate you thoroughly and fairly.

The admissions committee will already have a lot of information about you that it can and will use to get to know you better, including your resume, extracurricular activities, recommendations, short-answer question responses, and academic transcripts. You should therefore approach this essay by first thinking about what these portions of your application convey about who you are. Whatever you discuss should complement that information and help provide the school with a more well-rounded impression of you. Do not use this essay to pander to the school or make a general pitch for your candidacy or why you need an MBA. The focus needs to be on you and on giving the admissions committee a new window into your profile. Consider elements of your personality that you feel are particularly revelatory of who you are as an individual (e.g., values, hobbies, skills) as well as significant instances from your past that illustrate something about you or influenced the person you are today (e.g., accomplishments, excursions, milestones). The ideas about which you feel most enthusiastic are likely your best options and should also be the easiest to write about.

You might also consider giving some thought to which elements of your persona or background mesh best with the Chicago Booth experience. (Dig deeper into what life at the school is really like by reading student blogs, perusing discussion boards, catching up on press releases from the school, watching videos on [b][url=https://www.youtube.com/user/ChicagoBoothMBA]Booth’s YouTube channel[/url][/b], and downloading a free copy of the mbaMission [b][url=https://shop.mbamission.com/products/university-of-chicago-booth-school-of-business-insider-s-guide]Insider’s Guide to the Booth School of Business[/url][/b].) If you are struggling to decide among several topic options, selecting one that aligns with Chicago Booth’s character or with specific offerings could help to illustrate your fit with the program.

In the end, as with all application essays, no matter the school, what you want to convey most is authenticity. Do not get caught up in trying to say what you think the admissions committee wants to hear or writing in a way that hides your natural communication style. And avoid just indiscriminately relating as much information as possible about yourself in hopes of stumbling on the “right” answers. Writing with sincerity and letting your true self shine through will make your essay its most compelling and memorable.

[b]Optional Question: Is there any unclear information in your application that needs further explanation? (Maximum 300 words)[/b]

Chicago Booth’s optional essay prompt is a little quirky in that the admissions committee uses the word “unclear,” which to us sounds like a more direct way of saying, “Don’t share additional information just to ‘sell’ your candidacy. Use this space only to address a problem area.” So let us be especially clear: however tempted you may be, do not simply share a strong essay you wrote for another school or offer a few anecdotes you were unable to share in your required essays. This is your opportunity to address—if you need to—any lingering questions that an admissions officer might have about your candidacy, such as a low GMAT or GRE score, a poor grade or overall GPA, or a gap in your work experience. For more guidance, we encourage you to download your free copy of our [b][url=https://shop.mbamission.com/products/mbamission-optional-essays-guide]mbaMission Optional Essays Guide[/url][/b], in which we offer detailed advice on when and how to take advantage of the optional essay, with multiple examples, to help you mitigate any problem areas in your application.

[b]Reapplicant Question: Upon reflection, how has your perspective regarding your future, Chicago Booth, and/or getting an MBA changed since the time of your last application? (Maximum 300 words)[/b]

With this essay question, Chicago Booth is testing your resolve and your reasoning. We surmise that the school wants to be certain you are not just stubbornly following a path and trying to “finish what you started,” so to speak, but that you have truly reassessed your needs in the aftermath of your unfortunate rejection. We recommend that you discuss your subsequent growth and development as they pertain to additional personal and professional discovery, which validates your need for an MBA. In the interim, some of your interests or goals might have changed—that is not a bad thing, and the admissions committee will not automatically assume that you are “wishy-washy,” unless you give them good reason to do so. Just be sure that any of your updated goals still logically connect to your overall story and desire for an MBA. Your aspirations—new or original—need to represent a compelling progression of the growth you have achieved in the past year.   

[b]The Next Step—Mastering Your Chicago Booth Interview: [/b]Many MBA candidates find admissions interviews stressful and intimidating, but mastering this important element of the application process is definitely possible—the key is informed preparation. And, on your way to this high level of preparation, we offer our [b][url=https://shop.mbamission.com/collections/interview-guides]free Interview Guides[/url][/b] to spur you along! Download your free copy of the [url=https://shop.mbamission.com/products/chicago-booth-school-of-business-interview-guide][b]Chicago Booth School of Business Interview Guide[/b][/url] today.
Send PM
University of Michigan (Ross) Essay Analysis, 2021–2022 [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: University of Michigan (Ross) Essay Analysis, 2021–2022
[url=https://i1.wp.com/www.mbamission.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/U-Mich-Ross.png?ssl=1][img]https://i1.wp.com/www.mbamission.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/U-Mich-Ross.png?resize=200%2C200&ssl=1[/img][/url]
In our view, the Ross School of Business at the University of Michigan takes a very no-nonsense, just-the-facts approach to its application essays (even the scope of its optional essay is relatively narrow). The school presents two “short answer” questions, giving candidates a choice of prompts for each, and asks applicants to submit what are essentially mini essays of just 100 words. In Ross’s (still rather concise) 200-word career essay, candidates share and explain their short-term professional aspirations, thereby demonstrating for the admissions committee that they have a plan in mind and have given serious thought to why they need a Ross MBA to achieve their goal. No specific word limit is stated for the optional essay, but applicants are gently encouraged to use bullet points in their response, reinforcing our impression that the program really just wants the key facts about its candidates, without any extraneous filler. Read on for our full analysis of the school’s 2021–2022 essay prompts.

[b]Part 1: Short Answers [/b]

[b]Select one prompt from each group of the two groups below. Respond to each selected prompt in 100 words or less (<100 words each; 200 words total).[/b]

[b]Group 1

[/b][b]I want people to know that I:

[/b][b]I made a difference when I:

[/b][b]I was aware that I was different when:[/b]

[b]Group 2

[/b][b]I am out of my comfort zone when:

[/b][b]I was humbled when:

[/b][b]I was challenged when:[/b]

When the Ross’s short-answer prompts were first introduced, Soojin Kwon, the managing director of full-time MBA admissions and student experience, explained in a blog post, “[We want to] get to know more about you than we would in a traditional essay where you’d talk at length about one topic.” She has continued to stress this idea in subsequent years, and in a [b][url=https://michiganross.umich.edu/graduate/full-time-mba/admissions/admissions-blog/2020/06/01/just-released-updates-application]blog post last year[/url][/b], Kwon elaborated further by stating, “The most interesting and insightful responses to these prompts remain when applicants share personal examples that allow us to learn more about who you are as a person, and what unique experiences and insights you would bring to the MBA class.” Clearly, the admissions committee hopes these mini essays will reveal distinctive facets of applicants’ personalities in a straightforward manner, unencumbered by any filler. Given the mere 100-word maximum for each, you might be tempted to just jump in and start writing, but thinking strategically about who you are as an applicant is critical here.

We encourage you to first consider very carefully which option within each group feels most authentic to and revelatory of who you are as an individual. Then, thoroughly and thoughtfully brainstorm to identify your strongest possible responses. You want to be able to “own” your answer—as we like to say—meaning that no other applicant could write the same thing as you do. Using the second prompt of the first group as an example (“I made a difference when I…”), writing something like “gave back to my community by volunteering with the local homeless shelter” would be far too general a response and could likely be stated by multiple applicants. Instead, something much more specific like “dedicated every Saturday morning for three years to helping cook and serve breakfast at the local homeless shelter, where I also instituted a bulk-shopping plan that saved hundreds of dollars each year on supplies” would stand out for its originality and paint a clearer picture of the candidate who wrote it with respect to their values, dedication, and fiscal creativity. In addition, using a narrative approach is a good way to paint a dynamic picture of how you conduct yourself and to engage your reader with a compelling story that has a clear beginning, middle, and end. If you choose to simply discuss a trait without a narrative, you could risk sounding as though you are bragging, and this would be a wasted opportunity for the admissions reader to get to know you in more depth.

When you are done writing, take a look at your responses and see if they are complementary of one another. If they seem repetitive or focus on the same general idea, story, or area of your life, you should probably rewrite one. Your goal is to have each response reveal something new and interesting about you. Another factor to consider is everything the admissions committee will already know about you from the other portions of your application; you do not want to miss this chance to paint a well-rounded picture of yourself by repeating information available elsewhere in your profile.

So, to recap, strive to make sure your responses (1) genuinely reflect who you are as a candidate and are as specific to you alone as possible; (2) present a narrative that allows the reader to walk in your shoes, so to speak; (3) are complementary of each other, with each one revealing something different about you; and (4) do not discuss a part of your profile that is already well explained or represented in a different part of your application.

[b]​Part 2: Career Goal Essay[/b]

[b]What is your short-term career goal and why? (200 words)[/b]

With just 200 words, you do not have any space to waste here, so focus on presenting your answer as directly and thoroughly as possible—and give the admissions committee what it wants! For further clarification, in the aforementioned blog post, Kwon wrote, “We found that the best responses to this essay were clear and succinct. The ones that were less successful tended to be less focused or focused too much on the ‘what’ and not enough on the ‘why.’ For the AdCom, the ‘why’ is the most impactful and differentiating aspect of each essay to me.”

To help provide that “why” element, you should include a little context for your stated goal so that your career path makes sense. Stating your goals in a vacuum, without any connection to where you have been, can be a little bit confusing for the reader, especially if you are a career changer. Imagine you plan to move from consumer marketing to equity research for consumer goods companies after graduating. If you were to simply state, “Post-MBA, I want to join a boutique equity research firm” as your opening sentence, your reader could be left wondering where this interest comes from. But if you were to instead write, “For the past four years, I have basically lived and breathed Fruity Pebbles. I now understand how the tiniest increase in coconut oil prices or a ten-cent competitor’s coupon can affect a product’s margins. I have subsequently become obsessed with the big data that drive computer goods and want to spend the next phase of my career in equity research, helping investors understand the riddle.” These are two very different answers, all because of some helpful context. From here, you can delve deeper into why equity research is right for you—how you intend to grow in your role and further develop your passion for the position.

Michigan Ross does not ask you why its program is the right one for you, but we encourage you to nevertheless note a specific resource (or two, if space allows) at the school that would enable you to make this professional goal a reality. Remember to not just tout stereotypes but truly integrate your mention of these resources into your essay in a way that shows true professional need. We explain these concepts and how to achieve them in more detail in our [b][url=https://shop.mbamission.com/products/personal-statement-guide]mbaMission Personal Statement Guide[/url][/b], which is available free of charge, so download your complimentary copy today!

And for a thorough exploration of Michigan Ross’s academic program/merits, social life, unique offerings, and other key characteristics, check out the [b][url=https://shop.mbamission.com/products/university-of-michigan-ross-school-of-business-insider-s-guide]mbaMission Insider’s Guide to the University of Michigan’s Stephen M. Ross School of Business[/url][/b], which is also available for free.

[b]Optional Statement

[/b][b]Is there something in your resume or application that could use some explanation? You might want to discuss the completion of supplemental coursework, employment gaps, academic issues, etc. Feel free to use bullet points where appropriate. [/b]

Michigan Ross has tightly worded its optional essay prompt to  specify that this essay is intended to give candidates space to address unclear or problem areas in their profiles and is not an open invitation to discuss anything more they wish to share with the admissions committee. The directive about bullet points seems to be a not-too-veiled implication that the school wants you to focus on imparting key information rather than offering a detailed and longwinded explanation of the issue in question. This is absolutely not the time or place to share another cool story or otherwise try to impress or pander to the admissions committee. If you do not truly need to explain an issue or potentially confusing element of your candidacy, we recommend that you not submit an option essay; if you do have issues to clarify, keep things concise. In our free [b][url=https://shop.mbamission.com/products/mbamission-optional-essays-guide]mbaMission Optional Essays Guide[/url][/b], we offer detailed advice on when and how to take advantage of the optional essay, including multiple examples.

[b]The Next Step—Mastering Your Michigan Ross Interview: [/b]Many MBA candidates find admissions interviews stressful and intimidating, but mastering this important element of the application process is definitely possible—the key is informed preparation. We therefore offer our free Interview Guides to spur you along! Download your free copy of the [url=https://shop.mbamission.com/products/michigan-ross-interview-guide][b]Michigan Ross Interview Guide[/b][/url] today.
Send PM
Northwestern University (Kellogg) Essay Analysis, 2021–2022  [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: Northwestern University (Kellogg) Essay Analysis, 2021–2022 
[url=https://i0.wp.com/www.mbamission.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/Kellogg_logo.jpg?ssl=1][img]https://i0.wp.com/www.mbamission.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/Kellogg_logo.jpg?resize=300%2C84&ssl=1[/img][/url]
Applicants to the Kellogg School of Management at Northwestern University must provide two required written essays. The first deals with a leadership experience that resulted in some form of ongoing merit, while the second focuses on candidates’ guiding principles. Interestingly, both of these essays center on “value(s)” but in very different ways, according to two separate definitions of the term. As such, Kellogg’s questions seem to address two key aspects of business today, and candidates will need to demonstrate their awareness of both and their potential to fulfill them. In addition, the admissions committee requires that applicants submit three brief video essays, but thankfully, it gives candidates some information in advance as to what the questions are (or at least are about) as well as significant opportunities to practice before recording their official responses. For more advice on interpreting and approaching the school’s essay and video prompts for 2021–2022, read on.

[b]Required Essay 1: Kellogg’s purpose is to educate, equip, and inspire brave leaders who create lasting value. Provide a recent example where you have demonstrated leadership and created value. What challenges did you face, and what did you learn? (450 words) [/b]

This is a fairly straightforward essay prompt, and we recommend responding in an equally straightforward manner. Launch directly into the story of your leadership experience, and detail the specific actions you took in directing others to achieve some kind of enduring result. The key here is to show that you shared a valuable experience with colleagues, extracted the most from your team members, and attained a desired outcome. Although we often note that not all great leadership stories necessarily have to end in success, Kellogg’s request for evidence of “lasting value” certainly implies that the school wants to hear about a situation that had a positive resolution. You will need to convey not only your role in spearheading a group to achieve what you did but also how that achievement has persisted.

Note that Kellogg does not specify that the experience you share must be related to your workplace or career. Leadership does not need to have an official title attached to it, and it can be expressed in a community service or even family life setting just as much as in a workplace, so explore all the different areas of your life for possible stories. We recommend using a narrative approach to present your story, but be sure to also share the thought process and motivation(s) behind your actions. This way, the admissions committee will take away a clear picture not only of what you accomplished but also of the aspects of your character that inspired you and helped enable your success.

That said, the school acknowledges within the prompt that even endeavors that have a positive result are rarely smooth sailing from beginning to end—hence the question about challenges faced. A mistake applicants often make in writing this kind of essay is presenting a strong narrative in which they are incredible leaders, and then near the end, making a brief (and typically disjointed) reference to a hardship or conflict encountered along the way, meant to fulfill the “challenges” element of the essay query. To be effective and believable, your ups and downs must be woven intrinsically into your narrative, rather than simply acknowledged at the end. Clearly explaining how you approached and prevailed over the challenge at hand is crucial, so go beyond simply describing the roadblock itself and ensure that you detail your response and the inner workings of your decision making at that point.

Lastly, do not forget or neglect to explain what you learned from the experience—Kellogg specifically asks you to do so! And keep in mind that for your takeaways to be “meaningful,” they have to be profoundly connected to your narrative. The admissions reader should be able to easily understand the connection between the situation you describe and your subsequent learnings.

[b]Required Essay 2: Values are what guide you in your life and work. What values are important to you and how have they influenced you? (450 words)[/b]

Kellogg offers another very no-nonsense essay question here, so not a lot of interpretation is needed. On its Facts & Tips page, the admissions committee states that it is “interested in learning about your values,” so a frank query on the topic only makes sense. Kellogg wants to know how your values influence your decisions and actions, and in particular, which ones tend to guide you the most often or the most intensely. Simply stating that you embrace certain values is easy, so the admissions committee is understandably asking for illustrations of this phenomenon to better gauge this for itself. Having an idea of how you tend to incorporate your core beliefs into your life will help the school better envision how you might fit into its classrooms and the business world after you graduate.

Perhaps at the most basic level, Kellogg wants to know that you understand how values come into play in “life and work.” This final phrase seems to open the door to stories from your personal life or from your career, with no particular emphasis on either, so consider all your options to identify the most fitting and revealing one. Although in theory, describing a situation from your personal or community activities would provide a nice balance if you chose a professional story for the school’s first essay (and vice versa), what is more critical is sharing the experiences that best convey the concepts you wish to highlight. Given the 450-word maximum for this essay, you should skip or at least minimize any preamble and dive into your response, clearly identifying your selected core values and describing specific situations that illustrate them in action. Your ultimate goal is to clearly illustrate for the admissions committee how you have been (and are) guided by your fundamental beliefs.

Believe us when we say that Kellogg does not have a set list of values that it expects applicants to demonstrate and that by not choosing the “right” ones, you will not be accepted to the school. As always, focus on simply being authentic and sincere and letting your true character show through. That said, we would encourage you to learn what you can about the values Kellogg students tend to display or that would likely be compatible with the Kellogg community. Contact students and alumni to get a sense of what these might be, and if you identify one or two that match some of your own, those might prove strong fodder for your essay. To clarify, we are not saying that you should claim values that are not naturally yours in a misguided attempt to impress the admissions committee, but simply consider highlighting ones that appear to be mutual.

[b]Certain applicants will respond to additional questions:[/b]

[list]
[b]1Y applicants: Please discuss your post-MBA career goal, the current experience you will leverage to support the transition, and the Kellogg 1Y opportunities that will help you reach this goal. (250 words)[/b][/*]
[/list]
[list]
[b]JD-MBA applicants: Please discuss your post-JD-MBA career goals and why the JD-MBA Program is the right program to help you reach those goals. (250 words)[/b][/*]
[/list]
[list]
[b]MMM applicants: The five core values of the MMM Program are curiosity, creativity, empathy, open-mindedness and a learning mindset. Describe a situation in which you demonstrated one of these values. Why is this value an important part of the MMM experience for you? (250 words)[/b][/*]
[/list]
[list]
[b]MBAi applicants: The Kellogg McCormick MBAi program is designed to train the next generation of leaders who can help businesses deliver successful outcomes through AI-driven technology. This requires leaders who have both strong technical and business skills; many firms struggle to find leaders with these skills. Tell us about your firsthand experience with this disconnect between business and technology and how MBAi will prepare you to successfully lead businesses at the intersection. (450 words)[/b][/*]
[/list]
Kellogg adds depth and specificity to these essay prompts by providing a separate one for each special program. If you are applying to one of these options, you should be ready to demonstrate a great deal of intentionality. After all, you are committing to a specialized path that may require additional time and cost. With a limit of just 250 words for most of them, you have no choice but to cut to the chase. Applicants to the 1Y and JD/MBA programs must outline how the degree is necessary to achieve their particular desired outcomes and then tie those goals specifically to the Kellogg program they are targeting and its associated resources. This essay is essentially another opportunity to explain your distinct need to attend Kellogg, only here, you can focus on showcasing the non-MBA portion of your intended degree. In many ways, these prompts are asking for a typical (if brief) MBA personal statement, so we encourage you to download your free copy of the [b][url=https://shop.mbamission.com/products/personal-statement-guide]mbaMission Personal Statement Guide[/url][/b]. This complimentary guide offers detailed advice on approaching and framing these topics, along with multiple illustrative examples.

MMM applicants are asked to discuss values, and the school even presents the specific ones it wants candidates to choose from. Obviously, if you are applying to this program, you will need to plan out your response to this essay in conjunction with Essay 2 to ensure you do not repeat any choices or illustrative stories.

The school’s MBAi applicants are tasked with writing the longest additional essay, at 450 words, perhaps in part because Kellogg wants to see evidence of capability in two areas—business and technology. In addition, candidates must share their personal experience with how these two can clash or be incompatible and then explain the role the degree will play in helping them navigate these areas as a leader in the future. Be sure to fulfill all the different parts of the school’s prompt and not devote too much of your essay to any one in particular. Artificial intelligence is a field that naturally engenders a lot of excitement, but it also demands a great deal of responsibility, foresight, and understanding—and Kellogg wants to know that you recognize this fact and are ready to embrace and act on it.

[b]Reapplicants: Since your previous application, what steps have you taken to strengthen your candidacy? (250 words) [/b]

Whether you have improved your academic record, received a promotion, begun a new and exciting project, increased your community involvement, or taken on some sort of personal challenge, the key to success with this essay is conveying a very deliberate path of achievement. Kellogg wants to know that you have been actively striving to improve yourself and your profile, and that you have seized opportunities during the previous year to do so, because a Kellogg MBA is vital to you. The responses to this essay question will vary greatly from one candidate to the next, because each person’s needs and experiences differ. We are more than happy to provide one-on-one assistance with this highly personal essay to ensure that your efforts over the past year are presented in the best light possible.

[b]Additional Information: If needed, use this section to briefly describe any extenuating circumstances (e.g., unexplained gaps in work experience, choice of recommenders, inconsistent or questionable academic performance, etc.). [/b]

However tempted you might be, this is not the place to paste in a strong essay you wrote for another school or to offer a few anecdotes that you were unable to incorporate into any of your other essays. Instead, this is your opportunity, if needed, to address any questions an admissions officer might have about your candidacy. We encourage you to download our free [b][url=https://shop.mbamission.com/products/mbamission-optional-essays-guide]mbaMission Optional Essays Guide[/url][/b], in which we offer detailed advice on when and how to take advantage of the optional essay, along with multiple sample essays, to help you mitigate any problem areas in your profile.

[b]Video Essays: The video essays provide you with an additional opportunity to demonstrate what you will bring to our vibrant Kellogg community—in an interactive way. You will respond to several short video essay questions. The questions are designed to bring to life the person we have learned about on paper.[/b]

[list]
[b]After submitting your application and payment, you will be able to access the video essay through your application status page. You will be asked to answer three questions:[/b][/*]
[/list]
[list]
[b]Video essay 1: Please introduce yourself to the admissions committee.[/b][/*]
[/list]
[b]Consider this your opportunity to share what you would want your future Kellogg classmates and our admissions committee to know about you. What makes you, you?[/b]

[list]
[b]Video essay 2: What path are you interested in pursuing, how will you get there, and why is this program right for you?[/b][/*]
[/list]
[b]This is an intentionally broad question so you can answer honestly and meaningfully. We want to know why you’re pursuing an MBA and why you’re choosing a particular Kellogg Full-Time Program.[/b]

[list]
[b]Video essay 3: This question will be based on a challenge you’ve faced and what you’ve learned from it.[/b][/*]
[/list]
[list]
[b]There are practice questions that you may complete as many times as you like to get comfortable with the format and technology. The practice questions and experience will simulate the actual video essay experience, so this is meant to be a useful tool to help you feel prepared.[/b][/*]
[/list]
[list]
[b]We encourage you to practice so you are comfortable with the format once it is time to complete the official questions. You will not have an opportunity to re-do the answer to the official video essay questions.[/b][/*]
[/list]
[list]
[b]You will have 20 seconds to think about the question and up to one minute to give your response.[/b][/*]
[/list]
[list]
[b]The video should take about 20–25 minutes to complete, which includes time for setup. You will need an internet-connected computer with a webcam and microphone.[/b][/*]
[/list]
In a Q&A with several admissions representatives at our most recent mbaMission annual conference, Kellogg’s Assistant Dean of Admissions and Financial Aid Kate Smith explained that the school’s video component sprang from the admissions committee’s desire to actually see and hear the applicants they were evaluating. Given that Kellogg’s interviews are conducted by alumni, the video is the committee’s only “live” interaction with candidates. Keep this in mind as you tackle this segment of the application, and make being authentic and natural your primary goal. Kellogg is not looking for the next viral TED Talk presenter or late-night TV host. They just want to get to know you as a unique individual who may one day join its community.

So, start by taking a deep breath. We understand that these video essays can make you feel like you are being put on the spot, but Kellogg is really not trying to scare you. The admissions committee simply wants a more dynamic representation of your personality than a written essay can provide. You cannot answer any of the school’s video questions incorrectly, so do not concern yourself with trying to give the “right” answer. Just respond to each query honestly, as smoothly as you can (despite any nervousness you may be feeling), and be yourself. Thankfully, Kellogg provides the questions you will encounter in the application’s video segment, so you do not have to go in totally blind.

The “introduction” question is about a topic you know very well—you! You can prepare by thinking about what you would like to know about a new person you are meeting and would find interesting, helpful, or intriguing. For example, would you consider someone’s age or undergraduate institution particularly important or compelling? Probably not, so you should skip mentioning such facts in your own introduction. (Remember, too, that your actual audience will be a member of the admissions committee, who will already know such basic information about you from the rest of your application.) You would likely be more curious about what someone does in their spare time, what interesting or exceptional skills they have, whether they are approachable/funny/hyperorganized/a risk taker/etc., whether they have extensive experience in a certain area or a more wide-ranging background, and so on.

So consider the aspects of your personality and profile that you believe truly define you as an individual—not just what you do and have done, but who you are—and fully explore your background, hobbies, talents, experiences, values, goals, and quirks. Brainstorm an extensive list and then eliminate any items that seem too common (e.g., a BA in finance) or basic (e.g., your hometown) until you have a collection of truly distinctive qualities you can weave into your response. Your goal is to provide a well-rounded picture of yourself that draws from multiple areas and shows that you possess characteristics and/or knowledge that would make you a positive addition to the Kellogg community.

Remember to bring energy and enthusiasm to your submission. You are trying to connect with others, so charisma is welcome, and a less rigid and traditionally “professional” demeanor is okay. Forego any fancy or dramatic tactics (e.g., starting with a quotation, launching into an anecdote), and just be as natural and authentic as possible. Do not pitch your candidacy, detail your career goals, or express your admiration for the program. As they say, you only have one chance to make a first impression, so dedicate the time and effort necessary to ensure that your introduction is engaging, substantive, and true to who you are.

For the second video, you need to briefly discuss your anticipated professional path and why Kellogg is the right program for you, so you must truly understand why you are choosing it for your MBA. By that, we do not mean that you should create and memorize a laundry list of reasons. Instead, you must have a comprehensive knowledge of the school’s resources and be able to clearly and concisely express which ones are of particular importance and significance to you—and why. Then, when recording your video, you will need to convey this information in a sincere and compelling way. That will not happen if you are listing facts you have simply committed to memory! (For a thorough exploration of Kellogg’s academic program, unique offerings, social life, and other key characteristics, be sure to download a free copy of the [b][url=https://shop.mbamission.com/products/northwestern-university-s-kellogg-school-of-management-insider-s-guide]mbaMission Insider’s Guide to the Kellogg School of Management[/url][/b].)

For the third video, the school has not published the exact question you will receive but does note that it will be about a general challenge you have faced. This query gets at the core concepts of self-assessment, resilience, and dedication. The school wants to know that you are capable of learning from difficult circumstances and that you are subsequently inspired to take action to rectify the problematic situation and/or to avoid similar obstacles in the future—or at least better prepare yourself for them. The scale or scope of the challenge you discuss is not as important as how revelatory it is about you personally, and your answer needs to encompass not only what the challenge was and why it was difficult for you personally, but also what you did or have done in response. Whether you chose to address something internally (e.g., educating yourself on a certain topic) or to apply yourself outwardly (e.g., joining a volunteer effort), you want to clearly convey your motivations and intentions, so that the admissions committee can better understand how you perform under pressure and seek opportunities for improvement.

One minute is not very long, so run through several practice sessions—perhaps in front of a mirror—to get a sense of how quickly those 60 seconds will pass when you are in front of the camera. Although you can prepare as much as you want, you get only one chance at the recording. If you stumble while answering or ultimately are unhappy with your answer, unfortunately, you cannot do anything about it. You will not be able to rerecord your responses or try again another time. This may make you nervous, but we encourage you to view the situation a little differently. Kellogg wants to get to know the authentic you through these video essays. If you fumble for words or lose your train of thought, just laugh or shrug and continue with your response. Accepting a mistake with a sense of humor and grace will give the admissions committee a more positive and natural impression of your personality than rigid scripting and overpreparation ever could.

[b]The Next Step—Mastering Your Kellogg Interview: [/b]Many MBA candidates find admissions interviews stressful and intimidating, but mastering this important element of the application process is definitely possible—the key is informed preparation. And to help you develop this high level of preparation, we offer our [url=https://shop.mbamission.com/collections/interview-primers][b]free Interview Guides[/b][/url]! Download your free copy of the [url=https://shop.mbamission.com/products/northwestern-kellogg-interview-guide][b]Northwestern Kellogg Interview Guide[/b][/url] today.
Send PM
Columbia Business School Essay Analysis, 2021–2022 [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: Columbia Business School Essay Analysis, 2021–2022
[url=https://i0.wp.com/www.mbamission.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/CBS-logo.jpg?ssl=1][img]https://i0.wp.com/www.mbamission.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/CBS-logo.jpg?resize=260%2C148&ssl=1[/img][/url]
Columbia Business School (CBS) requires its applicants to submit three written essays but gives them some level of agency by allowing them to choose from multiple topics for two of them. A short-answer goal statement of just 50 words must also be provided. CBS’s first essay prompt is likewise about candidates’ career aspirations, but in the long term instead and in much more in depth (at 500 words). For their second and third essays, applicants select two prompts from a group of three, one concerning inclusiveness, one about why they want an MBA from CBS in particular, and one that deals with a cherished book, movie, or song. Together, by balancing career goals with more personal, values- and character-based topics, the school’s essays should provide candidates with sufficient opportunity to provide a well-rounded impression of themselves as aspiring MBAs. Read on for our detailed analysis of the program’s 2021–2022 questions.

[b]Short Answer Question: What is your immediate post-MBA professional goal? (Maximum 50 Characters)[/b]

CBS applicants accustomed to Twitter’s 280-character allowance might find CBS’s 50-character limit here more than a little challenging—especially considering that it includes spaces! To get a sense of how brief your opportunity really is, note that the school’s prompt is itself exactly 50 characters. With such limited space, this can hardly be considered a true essay, but you will need to approach it with the same level of thought and focus you give all your other written responses for CBS. During a Q&A mbaMission conducted with several top admissions officers, Assistant Dean of Admissions Amanda Carlson commented,

“That 50 characters really helps people to just break it down very simply for themselves and simply for us . . . . Pursuing business education, it’s a huge investment in time, in money, in effort, in energy, and I think this 50-character exercise is as much for the candidate as it is for our team, and we want to know that people are serious, they’re focused, and they’re ready for this kind of adventure.”

So, this prompt is a no-nonsense request for information that is all about getting to the point and telling the admissions committee what it needs to know—that you have a clear and achievable goal. The school even provides a few sample responses, including “Work in business development for a media company” and “Join a strategy consulting firm,” illustrating that conveying the requested information in such a tight space is definitely doable and that you do not need to worry too much about grammatical issues (in other words, you do not need to start your statement with “I want to” or something similar). We like to offer the statement “Reveal true goals, not what you think CBS wants” as both our own example of keeping things concise and our advice on how to approach and fulfill this request.

Think about what you truly want to do with your career in the short term and state this aspiration directly. Keep in mind that the rest of your application needs to provide evidence that your stated goal aligns with your existing skills and profound interests, especially once they have been augmented by an MBA education. This will show that your professed goal is achievable and lend credibility to your statement. If you can do this in 50 characters (not words!), you will have done what you need to answer the school’s question quite well.

[b]Essay #1: Through your resume and recommendations, we have a clear sense of your professional path to date. What are your career goals over the next three to five years and what, in your imagination, would be your long-term dream job? (500 words)[/b]

CBS starts this essay question by more or less telling you not to recap your career to date, so we strongly recommend that you do so (and briefly, at that) only if context is absolutely needed for your stated goals to be understood and/or believable—perhaps if you are making a fairly remarkable career change. Pay particular attention to the phrases “dream job” and “in your imagination” with respect to the long-term portion of the question. The school is prompting you to be creative and perhaps even to challenge or push yourself to think big. CBS wants individuals who do not just follow prescribed paths according to someone else’s blueprint but who are aspirational and more inclined to forge their own way. This is not to suggest that if you have a more traditional plan in mind that you are in trouble or at risk of losing the admissions committee’s attention, but you may need to take a little extra time to consider your ambitions from the perspective of “what if?” and delve more deeply into what you hope to achieve to find the more personal and inspiring elements of your goals. Showing creativity and individualism here can only be helpful.

Although this is not a request for a textbook personal statement essay, your response will certainly involve some elements of the topics covered in such a submission, such as short- and long-term goals. The [b][url=https://shop.mbamission.com/products/personal-statement-guide]mbaMission Personal Statement Guide[/url][/b] offers advice on brainstorming and crafting such essays along with multiple illustrative examples and could therefore be helpful in preparing your CBS response to this prompt. You can download your free copy [url=https://shop.mbamission.com/products/personal-statement-guide][b]here[/b][/url].

[b]Essay 2 and 3: Please respond to two (2) of the three (3) essay questions listed below:[/b]

[b]Option #1: The Phillips Pathway for Inclusive Leadership (PPIL) is a new co-curricular program designed to ensure that every CBS student develops the skills to become an ethical and inclusive leader. Through PPIL, students attend programming focused on essential diversity, equity, and inclusion skills: Creating an Inclusive Environment, Mitigating Bias, Communicating Across Identities, Addressing Systemic Inequity, and Managing Difficult Conversations. Tell us about a time you were challenged around one of these five skills.  Describe the situation, the actions you took, and the outcome. (250 words)[/b]

After the past year, we are not at all surprised to see many of the top programs adding questions related to diversity and inclusion to their applications. In business school—as in life in general—you will encounter people who think differently from you, operate according to different values, and react differently to the same stimuli. And success in an endeavor often involves evaluating and even incorporating the views of others in one’s efforts. With this essay prompt, CBS wants to learn about your firsthand experience with such differences. While you are in the school’s MBA program, you will be surrounded every day by individuals who are unlike you in a multitude of ways, and you will need to work in tandem with and alongside these individuals when analyzing case studies, completing group projects, and participating in other activities both inside and outside the classroom. And now, CBS has created a specific program to help students more easily and appropriately navigate topics and situations concerning “diversity, equity, and inclusion.” But first, the admissions committee wants some evidence that you are capable of learning such lessons and incorporating them into your subsequent behaviors and mind-set.

To start, be sure that you understand the three highlighted concepts fully: diversity, equity, and inclusion. Of the three, equity is the most easily misinterpreted, with people often assuming it is interchangeable with equality. While equality implies same, equity implies fair—requiring not that everyone be provided for or treated identically but rather that each person be provided for or treated appropriately for their particular situation. Similarly, true inclusion goes beyond simply providing a seat at the table, so to speak, for everyone on a team and demands that each person be invited or at least allowed to contribute in a meaningful way and that those contributions be valued on par with those of other team members.

The admissions committee wants to know that you are capable of recognizing not only the benefits of being inclusive and equitable but also the harm caused by the unfair treatment or exclusion of certain individuals—and that what you experienced affected you in a way that subsequently influenced your beliefs about how people should think and/or act. Note that the question is not necessarily asking about a time when you yourself were the central character (though such stories could be the strongest options for some applicants). Perhaps you instead witnessed someone not supporting, or even opposing, these ideals and what the consequences ultimately were. In this case, avoid blaming the person or group doing the marginalizing and instead focus on sharing your emotional reaction to the incident and the ideas it inspired and/or altered in you, especially if they pertain to leadership. Very likely, the situation’s outcome revealed what the person in power should have done to bring about a more positive result, thereby highlighting for you the importance of cultivating a particular ability or quality.

Without question, over the past year, we have seen people in a multitude of contexts and situations in which ensuring fairness and appropriate inclusion has been incredibly challenging. And like the past year, this essay prompt is asking a lot of you. You need to answer multiple questions and provide sufficient context in just 250 words—the prompt itself is almost one-third of that! You do not have room for subtlety or extended explanations, so choose your words carefully and be as straightforward and clear as possible. Once you have identified a difficult instance you experienced that involved one or more of the three highlighted themes, simply describe the incident in sufficient detail that the theme(s) involved is (are) clear.

[b]Option #2:  Why do you feel that Columbia Business School is a good fit for you? (250 Words)[/b]

In the past, CBS’s second essay concerned the school’s New York City location and the benefits that conferred, but the scope of the prompt now encompasses everything the program offers, both on campus and elsewhere. So, to effectively answer the question in the second essay option, you will need to conduct some significant research on CBS, from its resources and community to its extracurriculars and, yes, location. You must create and present a plan of action, showing direct connections between CBS’s offerings and your interests, personality, and needs. Also, for Essay #1, CBS does not ask how it will factor into the achievement of your professional goals, but this topic seems more than fitting here—though you should take care not to discuss only career-related resources and opportunities.

Note that generic claims and empty pandering have no place at all in this rather compact essay. Any elements of CBS that you reference must be specific to your interests, character, and needs, and the connections between them must be very clear. Be authentic about what draws you to CBS in particular, and create a narrative explaining how you will grow through the opportunities available there and benefit from the overall experience.

The “why our school?” topic is a common element of a typical personal statement, so we (again) encourage you to download a free copy of the [url=https://shop.mbamission.com/products/personal-statement-guide][b]mbaMission Personal Statement Guide[/b][/url], which helps applicants write this style of essay for any school. It explains ways of approaching this subject effectively and offers several sample essays as guides. [b][url=https://shop.mbamission.com/products/personal-statement-guide]Click here[/url][/b] to access your complimentary copy.

And for a thorough exploration of CBS’s academic program, unique offerings, social life, and other key characteristics, the [b][url=https://shop.mbamission.com/products/columbia-business-school-insider-s-guide]mbaMission Insider’s Guide to Columbia Business School[/url][/b] is also available for free.

[b]Option #3: Tell us about your favorite book, movie, or song and why it resonates with you. (250 Words) [/b]

Let us first make one thing very clear—the admissions committee is not using this essay to judge your taste in books, films, or music! If you like ’90s grunge, and your admissions reader enjoys Broadway standards, or if you love Marvel movies, and your admissions reader is a fan of black-and-white classics, this is completely irrelevant. Like all other business school essay questions, this one has no “right” answer, so do not worry that the book, film, or song (which we will now refer to as a “piece,” so we do not need to keep repeating all three options) you choose will somehow automatically eliminate you for consideration by the admissions committee.

Do not choose something simply because you believe it is cool or on trend, and take care not to select a piece that represents who you would like to be (or would like the admissions committee to think you are). The piece you discuss does not even need to be readily recognizable. What is important, above all else, is that whatever you select is truly meaningful to and representative of you. It should somehow express or highlight a key element of your life, your personality, or your values. Why is what you have chosen so meaningful to you? To what part of your life or character does it relate?

For example, the piece could have a sentimental connection with an important relationship in your life; perhaps you watched a certain movie repeatedly with a beloved family member, and that shared experience has made your relationship more profound. Or maybe a book helped change your perspective on something in a significant way or opened up a career path you had not previously considered. Or possibly a special song has helped calm (or energize) you before an important event or activity. Because the school allots merely 250 words for this essay, do not dedicate too many words to discussing the selected piece and instead simply introduce what it is, explain in a concise and straightforward manner why it is important to you, and then share experiences from your life that illustrate how that significance has manifested. 

[b]Optional Essay: Is there any further information that you wish to provide the Admissions Committee? If so, use this space to provide an explanation of any areas of concern in your academic record or your personal history. This does not need to be a formal essay. You may submit bullet points. (Maximum 500 Words)[/b]

This optional essay question starts out sounding like an open invitation to discuss almost anything you feel like sharing with the admissions committee, but the second line dials things in and puts the spotlight on addressing problem areas specifically. The additional directive about bullet points seems to be a not-too-veiled implication that the school wants you to focus on imparting key information rather than offering a detailed and long-winded explanation of the issue in question. Without a doubt, this is not an opportunity to share another cool story or otherwise try to impress or pander to the admissions committee. If you do not truly need to explain an issue or potentially confusing element of your candidacy (a poor grade or overall GPA, a low GMAT score, a gap in your work experience, etc.), we do not recommend that you submit an option essay; if you do have issues to clarify, keep things concise. In our [url=https://shop.mbamission.com/products/mbamission-optional-essays-guide][b]mbaMission Optional Essays Guide[/b][/url], we offer detailed advice on when and how to take advantage of the optional essay, with multiple examples, to help you mitigate any problem areas in your profile.

[b]The Next Step—Mastering Your CBS Interview:[/b] Many MBA candidates find admissions interviews stressful and intimidating, but mastering this important element of the application process is definitely possible—the key is informed preparation. And, on your way to this high level of preparation, we offer our free Interview Primers to spur you along! Download your free copy of the [url=https://shop.mbamission.com/products/columbia-business-school-interview-guide][b]Columbia Business School Interview Guide[/b][/url] today.
Send PM
University of Cambridge Judge Business School Essay Analysis, 2021–202 [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: University of Cambridge Judge Business School Essay Analysis, 2021–2022
[url=https://i0.wp.com/www.mbamission.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/judge.png?ssl=1][img]https://i0.wp.com/www.mbamission.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/judge.png?resize=300%2C113&ssl=1[/img][/url]
Although a number of top business schools have been cutting back the number of application essays they require over the past few years, the University of Cambridge Judge Business School still demands four separate submissions from its aspiring students. The program’s first essay is about candidates’ career goals and related preparation, the second focuses on a “difficult decision” and the applicant’s takeaways from it, the third requires that applicants discuss how what they learned from a past team project would influence how they would approach that same project today, and in the fourth (somewhat more creative) essay, candidates must give advice to their younger selves, which is likely intended to provide the admissions committee with more insight into applicants’ character and behavior outside the workplace. Read on for our full essay analysis, with tips on how to approach each question and create strong essays for your 2021–2022 Judge application.

[b]Essay 1: Please provide a personal statement. It should not exceed 500 words and must address the following questions:[/b]

[list]
[b]What are your short and long term career objectives and what skills/characteristics do you already have that will help you achieve them?[/b][/*]
[/list]
[list]
[b]What actions will you take before and during the MBA to contribute to your career outcome?[/b][/*]
[/list]
[list]
[b]If you are unsure of your post-MBA career path, how will the MBA equip you for the future?[/b][/*]
[/list]
As the school itself states in the prompt, this is a request for a rather traditional personal statement, so our first recommendation is to download a free copy of the [b][url=https://info.mbamission.com/MBA-Personal-Statement-Guide]mbaMission Personal Statement Guide[/url][/b]. This complimentary guide offers detailed advice on how to approach and frame the information requested in these three bullet points and includes multiple illustrative examples.

More specifically with respect to Judge’s multipart question, the school wants to know not only the basic facts of your career aspirations but also how you view your readiness for and active role in achieving them. How equipped are you already, and how much closer to your goals will earning a business degree from Judge move you? What are you already planning to do on your own both before you enroll and while in the program that will ensure you graduate with the skills, experiences, knowledge, and/or connections you need to build a bridge between where you are now and where you want go? Be sure to refer to specific resources and offerings at the school that connect directly to these areas of improvement so that the admissions committee knows you have thoroughly considered and researched your options and determined that Judge is the best fit for your particular needs and interests. The school also wants to see evidence that you are cognizant you must be an active participant in your own success and are ready and willing to contribute, rather than relying on the program and its name or reputation to solely move you forward on your career trajectory.

[b]Essay 2: Describe a difficult decision that you had to make. What did you learn from this and how have you changed as a result? (up to 200 words)[/b]

Challenges are important learning opportunities. With this prompt, the admissions committee wants to know what you take away from situations in which things are not as clear-cut as you would like or you need to make a sacrifice of some kind. How do you reason through problems and reach conclusions, especially when doing so is complicated? Judge does not specify that the story you share in this essay must be a professional one, so explore all your personal, family, and community life experiences for options. Also, the scale or scope of the situation in an objective sense is not as important as how affecting and influential it was for you personally. You may want to consider your options for this essay and the third essay simultaneously, because if you select a career-related incident to discuss in this one, for balance, you might want to draw on a personal story for the other, and vice versa. However, this kind of distribution works best if it is not forced—the first criterion should always be whether the narrative is the most fitting one for the essay’s prompt; if two options seem equally fitting, then you may be able to create a kind of consonance.

For this essay, you will need to share an anecdote in which something was at stake—the reader must feel and understand that your decision involved some level of risk. If you faced no possibility of negative ramifications, reaching your decision could not have been very challenging, as the school’s question specifically stipulates. The reader must understand that you had an indisputable problem on your hands and had to weigh your options carefully. In your essay, take the reader through your decision-making process, briefly noting the different possible outcomes or consequences of your various choices. Keep in mind that your decision does not need to have been proven right, and you could even show that all the options available to you at the time were less than ideal and explain how you optimized the imperfect outcomes. By asking about a demanding decision (rather than the more common “failure” topic), this essay question allows candidates to discuss a situation in which they may have struggled but that did not necessarily end in defeat or disappointment.

Finally, share what you learned from the experience and how it has altered who you are and/or how you now view or interact with the world. What you took away from the experience should be something that has fundamentally changed your character in some way. Judge wants to know not only that you have faced and worked through the demanding process of reaching a particular resolution but also how that situation has contributed to the person you are today. 

[b]Essay 3: Describe a time where you worked with a team on a project. What did you learn from the experience and how might you approach it differently today? (up to 200 words)[/b]

As a student at an international business school—one with more than 40 nationalities represented in a class of approximately 200 people—you will naturally be enmeshed in a widely diverse environment and will encounter people who think differently from you, operate according to different values, and react differently to the same stimuli. And you will need to work in tandem with and alongside these individuals when analyzing case studies, completing group projects, and participating in other activities both inside and outside the classroom. Judge clearly wants to hear about your mind-set and working style in such situations and is seeking evidence that you are capable of listening, reflecting, learning, and growing. If you are not, it might assume that you simply do not have the necessary qualities to become an integral part of its next incoming class, let alone a standout manager later in your career.

Like that of Essay 2, this prompt does not stipulate which part of your life you must draw from for content, so hearken back to our advice for the previous essay with respect to selecting between a professional story or a more personal one. To craft an effective essay response, describe via a narrative approach the nature of your collaboration with the rest of your group, showing both what you contributed and what others brought to the dynamic (though much more succinctly). Consider describing a kind of “before and after” situation in which the information, input, or inspiration you received from your teammate(s) influenced your thoughts and actions as you worked toward your shared goal and have subsequently stuck with you. The prompt’s request for an explanation of how you would approach the team project today implies that what you learned from the experience gave you specific skills or insight that would have made that project better in some way (either the outcome or the process) had you possessed those specific skills or that insight in advance of it. So, once you have determined what those two elements are—what you gained and how it would have affected the execution or result of the project in a positive way—simply spell this out for the admissions committee in your essay. A submission that demonstrates your collaboration style, your ability to contribute to group projects, and your capacity to learn from and analyze such experiences is almost certain to make an admissions reader take notice.

[b]Essay 4: If you could give one piece of advice to your 18-year-old self, what would it be? (up to 200 words)[/b]

Judge poses four essay questions to its candidates, and three of them have to do with learning from life experiences. The school obviously seeks individuals who absorb lessons by interacting with and participating actively in the world around them, not just by listening to an instructor in a classroom. For this essay, you need to consider all the things you have learned roughly since completing high school, whether in a classroom, on the job, or in your personal life. Then pinpoint specific learnings that occurred during that time period that you feel are most important or have been the most influential and then delve into discovering why these particularly learnings are so meaningful to you.

As for Essay 3, the school wants you to analyze how “redoing” something would be different with the knowledge you learned via that something—for Essay 3, that something is a team project; for this essay, it is your life since you were 18. How would knowing then what you know now have changed your subsequent life or career in some way? What decisions might you have made differently? Which people might you have tried to become closer to or distance yourself from? What experiences would you have sought out earlier or made a point of avoiding? What behaviors would you have engaged in more often or chosen to discontinue? Exploring these kinds of questions should help you identify possible topics for this essay. Then, focus on conveying how the information, insight, and/or skills you have acquired over the years has changed how you now view or operate in the world.

Business schools outside the United States are increasingly popular among MBA hopefuls, and we at mbaMission are proud to offer our latest publications: [b][url=https://shop.mbamission.com/collections/international-program-guides]International Program Guides [/url][/b]for international programs. In these snapshots we discuss elements such as core curriculum, elective courses, locations, school facilities, and rankings. Download your free copy of the [url=https://shop.mbamission.com/products/cambridge-judge-business-school-program-guide][b]Cambridge Judge Business School Program Guide[/b][/url] today.
Send PM
Look Beyond Business School Rankings [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: Look Beyond Business School Rankings
We at mbaMission have tried repeatedly to persuade business school candidates who are evaluating MBA programs to downplay the various schools’ rankings, which can fluctuate wildly, and instead focus on fit, which is enduring. As you prepare for the next admissions season, we recommend that you accelerate and broaden your evaluation process.

One way to look beyond rankings is to speak with MBA students. Even if you do not have direct access to students, reaching out to them in a targeted way—via email, club websites, and social media—can be quite easy. Do not feel as though you are being “pushy” when contacting students this way, because most take pride in their school and are open to speaking with candidates. They are a de facto part of the school’s marketing arm. For example, if you are interested in a certain program for its entrepreneurship offerings, you can get in touch with the individual(s) leading the entrepreneurship club to learn more about the program (and the club!).

Of course, you should be respectful of each individual’s time and be well prepared for your conversation. If you are conscientious, you will be able to gain some great insight into the school’s academic environment and then have time to learn more about the atmosphere on campus. Networking now should enable you to begin narrowing your search and more effectively focus your limited “free” time throughout the rest of the admissions season.
Send PM
University of California Los Angeles Anderson Essay Analysis, 2021–202 [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: University of California Los Angeles Anderson Essay Analysis, 2021–2022
[url=https://i0.wp.com/www.mbamission.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/UCLA-Anderson-New-Logo-2019.png?ssl=1][img]https://i0.wp.com/www.mbamission.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/UCLA-Anderson-New-Logo-2019.png?resize=300%2C63&ssl=1[/img][/url]
We are living in complex, interesting times, and the UCLA Anderson School of Management’s application essay questions reflect that. The school requires candidates to provide just one essay, asking them to discuss how the events of the past year or so have affected them and their plans for the future. For such a weighty (in our opinion) topic, the admissions committee has set a maximum length of just 250 words (compare that to 800 in 2018!), meaning that applicants need to be concise and direct in their response; not enough space is available for extended philosophical expositions or analysis. Some candidates might be tempted to use the optional essay to squeeze in more information about themselves, but anyone considering this option must be prudent about doing so because Anderson very clearly states that it is for “extenuating circumstances” only. Our full analysis of all the school’s 2021–2022 prompts follows.

[b]Required Essay: How have recent events influenced the impact you would like to make in your community, career, or both? (250 words maximum)[/b]

Oh, boy. Countless books could be written about the repercussions and fallout of everything that has occurred in the past year or two. And Anderson is asking you to distill your thoughts on all of it down to just 250 words. Where do you even start?

On Anderson’s [url=https://www.anderson.ucla.edu/degrees/full-time-mba/admissions/requirements#essay][b]application requirements page[/b][/url], the admissions department includes the following clarification alongside the prompt: “We welcome reflection on any events that influenced you in your personal or professional lives, or in society in general, and look forward to learning about specific ways you want to leave your mark.” So, you are not restricted to choosing just a single event, nor must you focus on only those you suspect are most prominent in people’s minds, but rather on those that have most significantly affected or resonated with you personally. This might therefore include a situation or incident that the media (news or social) has never mentioned and that relates exclusively to your life. Do not feel that the admissions committee is expecting you to weigh in on any specific occurrence or development that has been widely covered in the public eye and will therefore view you as uncaring or out of touch if you do not. Anderson is seeking to get to know you better as an individual and to get an idea of what inspires and motivates you, why, and in what way. To successfully provide this information, you need to be authentic and sincere.

Selecting the most relevant events is only half the equation, though, if not less. Anderson is even more interested in hearing about how these events have altered, inspired, or otherwise contributed to your aspirations for the future. In an admissions email about this (basically identical) prompt last season, candidates were encouraged to read [b][url=https://www.anderson.ucla.edu/documents/sites/degrees/mba/UCLA-Anderson-MBA-Brochure.pdf]the school’s brochure[/url][/b] before starting to work on their essay. The brochure asserts, “At UCLA Anderson, we’re not content with how things are; instead, we look to the future to discover and chart what will be,” and adds, “Our faculty and students provoke new thinking and experimentation with bold ideas.” Clearly, Anderson seeks individuals who want to have an impact on the world around them and effect positive change. The specific events you choose to write about are not as important as the subsequent influence they have had on your viewpoints and goals.

In your essay, then, you will need to clearly convey what the events you describe taught or revealed to you and then show a direct connection between these insights and how you now intend to interact with the world. Anderson wants to see that you are thoughtful, reflective, and motivated. You do not need to have a set plan in place for achieving your goals just yet (ideally, Anderson will play a central role in helping you develop one), but you do need to have—and communicate—a concrete vision of the result you hope to facilitate. What kind of impact do you aspire to have, on whom, to what end?

[b]Optional: Are there any extenuating circumstances in your profile about which the Admissions committee should be aware. (250 words maximum)[/b]

Anderson’s option essay is your opportunity—if needed—to address any lingering questions that an admissions officer might have about your candidacy, such as a poor grade or overall GPA, a low GMAT or GRE score, or a gap in your work experience. Do not simply try to fill this space because you fear that not doing so would somehow count against you. The admissions committee states very clearly on its application requirements page, “No preference is given in the evaluation process to those who choose to respond to this optional essay, so please use your best judgment.” This means that no matter how tempted you might be, this is not the place to reuse a strong essay you wrote for a different school or to offer an anecdote or two that you were unable to include in your required essay. However, if you truly feel that you must emphasize or explain something that would legitimately render your application incomplete if omitted, write a very brief piece on this key aspect of your profile. But before you do, we suggest downloading your free copy of the [b][url=https://shop.mbamission.com/products/mbamission-optional-essays-guide]mbaMission Optional Essays Guide[/url][/b], in which we offer detailed advice on deciding whether to take advantage of the optional essay and how best to do so (with multiple sample essays), if needed.

[b]Reapplicant Essay(s): (For applicants who applied for the MBA program in the previous two application years.) Reapplicants may answer one or both of the essay questions above as options, and they must provide additional updates within text boxes given in the application for any new test scores, career developments, or other changes since their last application.[/b]

Rather than asking reapplicants to provide an update on their candidacy and reassert their interest in Anderson’s MBA program, the school invites them to write either or both of the essays first-time applicants will submit. This seems to underscore the importance of the required essay question and the admissions committee’s interest in learning about this aspect of their candidates’ character.

To learn more about UCLA Anderson’s academic program, defining characteristics, crucial statistics, social life, standout faculty members, and other key features, download a complimentary copy of the mbaMission [b][url=https://shop.mbamission.com/products/ucla-anderson-school-of-management-insider-s-guide]Insider’s Guide to the Anderson School of Management[/url][/b].

[b]The Next Step—Mastering Your UCLA Anderson Interview: [/b]Many MBA candidates find admissions interviews stressful and intimidating, but mastering this important element of the application process is definitely possible—the key is informed preparation. We therefore offer our free [url=https://shop.mbamission.com/collections/interview-guides][b]Interview Guides[/b][/url] to spur you along! Download your free copy of the [url=https://shop.mbamission.com/products/ucla-anderson-interview-guide][b]UCLA Anderson Interview Guides[/b][/url] today.
   1  ...  151   152   153   154   155  ...  179   
Moderator:
1452 posts