Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 17:54 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 17:54

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 101 [1]
Given Kudos: 27
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: International Business, Technology
Schools: HKU '15 (A)
GMAT 1: 580 Q35 V35
GMAT 2: 690 Q44 V40
GPA: 3.85
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1371 [0]
Given Kudos: 46
WE:Corporate Finance (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 136 [0]
Given Kudos: 753
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: Ross School of Business - Class of 2017
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V41
GPA: 3.2
WE:Project Management (Other)
Send PM
Re: The prairie vole, a small North American grassland rodent, breeds year [#permalink]
wfmd wrote:
Actually E is the only answer which explains a difference in mortality. However, I do not understand one thing here.

If snakes are active from spring through early autumn, probably killing a lot of young voles, how can the group be bigger in winter (after the snakes killed the voles)?
I think that's a flaw in the answer...
The other answers are not better, but this made me stuck...

I too am stuck with the reasoning behind the answer option. :|
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 136 [1]
Given Kudos: 753
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: Ross School of Business - Class of 2017
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V41
GPA: 3.2
WE:Project Management (Other)
Send PM
Re: The prairie vole, a small North American grassland rodent, breeds year [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Gnpth wrote:
neo656 wrote:
I too am stuck with the reasoning behind the answer option. :|

Hi,

The key word here is "Breeds year around"- In this sentence it is stated that the voles breed throughout the year. If snakes are only active from spring to early autumn, they will not be able to kill the young voles born during late autumn or in winter.

so the group is bigger in winter.

Hope it helps.

Read again with a different perpective. Guess what? It does make sense now... :idea:
Thanks .. :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V45
Send PM
The prairie vole, a small North American grassland rodent, [#permalink]
Kudos
I picked D with a reasoning somewhat similar to that of jaituteja. It would be great if someone could explain why this line of reasoning is wrong.

1. As mentioned, we are talking of a difference in group size, NOT in population. Most of the reasoning in this thread is assuming that they are equivalent.
2. It has been stated that we are looking at Infant Mortality as the reason behind change in group size.

I reasoned that in higher social animals such as these, groups will form with a purpose. In times where harsher conditions / elements would cause higher infant mortality, groups will form to better protect infants against those conditions.

A, B, C are obvious candidates for elimination.
D. Harsh winters would naturally cause higher mortality and would affect infants more than it would adults. Larger groups could huddle together for warmth and thus protect the infants. So they are preferable. The timings are in conformity, so this is a potential answer.
E. Larger groups could also form to protect against predators as groups of adults might be able to fend off snakes. Sounds promising, but the timing is wrong. Snakes come out at one time, groups are larger at other times. Eliminate.

In my mind, the connection between Group size and Infant mortality is a 2-step one. Where the common answer here suggests that Group size is a direct indication of Infant mortality, I posit that Groups are forming to mitigate high mortality - which kind of reverses the causality. I continue to find this more reasonable than assuming that Group size and Population size are one and the same thing.

Would somebody please point out where I might be going wrong?

Thanks
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
I am sorry but the logic here is seems flawed to me. If vole groups are smaller from during spring and summer time, they cannot become larger in the winter. If snakes are the cause of vole mortality, than the group size should decline overtime starting at high group size, and slowly decrease to winter. Now if voles split up into smaller groups as a defense tactic, the smaller group sizes are a result of that tactic, not the snakes
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [2]
Given Kudos: 231
Send PM
Kudos
The prairie vole, a small North American grassland rodent, breeds year around, and a group of voles living togather consists primarily of an extended family, often including two or more litters. Voles commonly live in large groups from late autumn to winter; from spring thru early autumn, however, most voles live in far smaller groups. The seasonal variation in groups size can probably be explained by a seasonal variation in mortality among young voles.

Which of the following, if true, provides the strongest support for the explanation above?

A) It is the spring and in the early summer that prairie vole communities generally contain the highest proportion of young voles. -->This doesn't support or provides any explanation as why there is seasonal variations due to mortality.
B) Prairie vole populations vary dramatically in size from year to year. --> This doesn't strengthen at all. It says that by default the population varies and as such there are no seasonal variation factors.
C) The prairie vole subsists primarily on broad-leaved plants that are abundant only in spring. --> okay plants are abundant in spring. But we don't have any information if due to scarcity are the rodents dying ? no information given.
D) Winters in prairie vole's habitat are often harsh, with temperatures that drop well below freezing.-->Okay temperatures drop in winter, but no information given to conclude whether due to low temperature are they dying ?
E) Snakes, a major predator of young prairie voles, or active only from spring thru early autumn. --> Perfect ! This option explains why the rodents are dying in different different seasons because of snakes which are active in certain period and predate on the rodents !
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 254
Schools: IIMB
Send PM
culsivaji wrote:
The prairie vole, a small North American grassland rodent, breeds year around, and a group of voles living togather consists primarily of an extended family, often including two or more litters. Voles commonly live in large groups from late autumn to winter; from spring thru early autumn, however, most voles live in far smaller groups. The seasonal variation in groups size can probably be explained by a seasonal variation in mortality among young voles.

Which of the following, if true, provides the strongest support for the explanation above?

A) It is the spring and in the early summer that prairie vole communities generally contain the highest proportion of young voles. -->This doesn't support or provides any explanation as why there is seasonal variations due to mortality.
B) Prairie vole populations vary dramatically in size from year to year. --> This doesn't strengthen at all. It says that by default the population varies and as such there are no seasonal variation factors.
C) The prairie vole subsists primarily on broad-leaved plants that are abundant only in spring. --> okay plants are abundant in spring. But we don't have any information if due to scarcity are the rodents dying ? no information given.
D) Winters in prairie vole's habitat are often harsh, with temperatures that drop well below freezing.-->Okay temperatures drop in winter, but no information given to conclude whether due to low temperature are they dying ?
E) Snakes, a major predator of young prairie voles, or active only from spring thru early autumn. --> Perfect ! This option explains why the rodents are dying in different different seasons because of snakes which are active in certain period and predate on the rodents !

Can someone please explain to me meaning of this line "The seasonal variation in groups size can probably be explained by a seasonal variation in mortality among young voles" , doesn't this mean , rodents are dying because of seasonal changes , which is supported by choice D. Please help me understand how E is correct. Would really appreciate your help.

Thanks
Megha
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1368 [1]
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM
Re: The prairie vole, a small North American grassland rodent, [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Premise: The voles are in abundance from autumn to winter, but are very few in number from spring through autumn. This is explained because of the mortality in your voles.

To support the reason given, we need to find something that justifies the mortality of the young voles.
Of the given option, option E tells us just the same. It gives us a reason why the young voles do not survive. because they are hunted by the snakes.

Correct option: E
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 4691 [11]
Given Kudos: 463
GPA: 3.5
WE:Business Development (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
The prairie vole, a small North American grassland rodent, breeds year [#permalink]
Kudos