Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 21:30 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 21:30

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Difficulty: 605-655 Levelx   Modifiersx   Parallelismx                                 
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 67 [3]
Given Kudos: 66
Concentration: Tuck,Cornell,Duke
 Q47  V20 GMAT 2: 560  Q45  V22
WE 1: 4.6 years Exp IT prof
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [3]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63669 [3]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [3]
Given Kudos: 631
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Thelonious Monk, who was a jazz pianist and composer, produced a body [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
AXAN wrote:
Seems a bit iffy to me. The meaning, in your example, will vary in my opinion. But for something generally true, don't we use the present tense?

We don't always a see a perfect match between the name of a tense and the way(s) it can be used. That's English for you. :)

AXAN wrote:
You would say "The Earth revolves around the sun." and not "The Earth revolved around the sun.".

That's only one clause. What about "(J.J. Thomson) discovered that the mass of the electron was very small, merely 1/1,836 that of a hydrogen ion" (source)? As far as I know, both the present (is very small) and past (was very small) tenses are acceptable in that structure.

As I said, it'd be good to get more thoughts on this, including from Charles/Mike.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [2]
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
Send PM
Re: Thelonious Monk, who was a jazz pianist and composer, produced a body [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Ayushpandiya wrote:
Hi,

Isn't Option D supposed to have a comma after 'Jazz pianist and composer' as it describes Thelonious Monk.
Hi Ayushpandiya,

It depends on how important that information is. For example:

1. Prime Minister Boris Johnson claimed that... ← This is fine.

If we feel that the Prime Minister bit is not really important, we could introduce a comma, but then we'd have to add an article as well:
1a. A Prime Minister, Boris Johnson claimed that... ← Change in meaning.
1b. Prime Minister, Boris Johnson claimed that... ← This one is not correct.

Similarly, if we wanted a comma in the correct option, we'd have to go with a "A jazz pianist and composer, TM..." and not "Jazz pianist and composer, TM". However, the more important point here is that, like (1), option D is perfectly fine the way it is.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 130 [2]
Given Kudos: 41
Send PM
Re: Thelonious Monk, who was a jazz pianist and composer, produced a body [#permalink]
Kudos
gurudabl wrote:
A. Thelonious Monk (noun), who was a jazz pianist and composer (appositive modifying the preceding noun), produced a body of work both (we don’t require “both” this because we have a singular body of work) rooted

The reasoning is correct but a few corrections:

1) "who was a jazz pianist and composer" is a relative clause and not an appositive
2) "both" is wrong because the correlative conjunction then must be "both X and Y" (explained below)

gurudabl wrote:
B. Thelonious Monk (noun), the jazz pianist and composer (appositive modifying the preceding noun), produced a body of work that was rooted both (“both” is used here for “the stride-piano tradition of Willie (The Lion) Smith and Duke Ellington”) How can this option be wrong?

Both can be used in the following ways:

Both Ram and Shyam played cricket.

Here, "both" is attaching itself to the nouns X = Ram and Y = Shyam. At the core, this is really the rule being tested.

Now, in this option, we have a word "both" that has to attach/apply itself to some nouns or noun phrases.

Both X=(rooted in the stride-piano tradition of Willie (The Lion) Smith)) and Y=(Duke Ellington)) --> X & Y don't match hence wrong

Rooted in both X=(the stride-piano tradition of Willie (The Lion) Smith) and Y=(Duke Ellington) --> X & Y don't match hence wrong

Rooted in the stride-piano tradition of both X=(Willie (The Lion) Smith)) and Y=(Duke Ellington) --> X & Y match hence okay but redundant

In short - the word "both" doesn't make sense here. So we can take off the options which attempt to create that structure.

In general, correlative conjunctions are the easiest (if you know how) to eliminate - so ensure you understand the mechanics.

gurudabl wrote:

C. Jazz pianist and composer Thelonious Monk, who produced a body of work rooted
D. Jazz pianist and composer Thelonious Monk produced a body of work that was rooted (Official answer)
E. Jazz pianist and composer Thelonious Monk produced a body of work rooted both
I directly eliminated options C, D and E because the starting sentence “Jazz pianist and composer Thelonious Monk” implied to me that “Jazz pianist” and “composer Thelonious Monk” are actually two different people.

Okay so to understand this better, let me use an analogy:

Chairman and Managing Director, Mr.Mukesh Ambani produced a great result for his shareholders.

What is wrong with this sentence? Nothing!

So I think one thing we need to be very wary of is using rules that we are not sure about. Always use a bigger juicer grammatical reason to eliminate.

For example, C is a sentence fragment as there is no predicate for the subject Thelonious Monk.

Hope this helps,
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 130 [2]
Given Kudos: 41
Send PM
Kudos
gurudabl wrote:
Hey arun@crackverbal Thank You for the reply. Great explanation!

I have one last confusion that I want to resolve. (Hope it doesn't sound silly)

<snip>

My question is, does the presence of a "comma" play any role in our case?

In general, on the GMAT you don't need to worry about the comma. I can pretty much assure you that the difference between the right and the wrong answer option will not be based on the presence (or absence) of a comma.

Having said so, there is no problem even if we have it as "Chairman and Managing Director Mukesh Ambani" or "Actor and Director Kamal Hassan". It just is telling the occupation.

The only case I can think of is in the case of a modifier (like an adjective):

Young and dashing, Rishabh Pant is playing right now.

But let me reiterate: there are plenty of things you need to worry about on the GMAT. This is not a rule you should worry about :)
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6859 [2]
Given Kudos: 500
Kudos
Expert Reply
lakshya14 wrote:
Isn't (D), also showing that there are 2 subjects "Jazz pianist" and "Thelonious Monk"?

Hello, lakshya14. In (D), jazz pianist is no more a subject than composer. Both are being used as adjectives in a restrictive appositive phrase, as in, The one and only jazz pianist and composer known as Thelonious Monk... The only option that does not employ such an appositive phrase is (A), which opts for a who clause to convey the same information.

If you have further questions, feel free to ask.

- Andrew
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63669 [2]

Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
SJ5 wrote:
I got it why option 'E' is the correct choice but I still have a small problem with the question. Can't "Jazz pianist and composer T. Monk" refer to two separate people in the option choices C,D,E?

If we were talking about two different people, the first a jazz pianist, and the second composer Thelonious Monk, then the verb "produced" would apply to both of them, right?

Here's the problem: it's fine to write, "Composer Thelonious Monk produced a body of work," but we can't write "Jazz pianist produced a body of work." (At minimum, we'd need an article before "jazz pianist" for it to make any sense.) So it stands to reason that because "jazz pianist" can't function as a subject, it must be operating as a modifier. And the only entity it could logically modify here is "Thelonious Monk." Perfectly reasonable.

And really, even if there were some ambiguity about whether we were talking about two people or one, (A) and (B) have concrete parallelism errors, so you're stuck with the construction, even if you don't love it.

I hope that clears things up!
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63669 [2]

Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
AXAN wrote:
GMATNinja

Really good explanation as always.

For me there seems to be a meaning issue in the correct option-
Quote:
D. Jazz pianist and composer Thelonious Monk produced a body of work that was rooted

Doesn't the "work that was rooted" mean that either the work is no longer rooted in what it used to be or somehow doesn't exist anymore? According to me this shouldn't be the case and it should be in present or continuous tense instead of being in simple past.

Could you shed some light on this please? Much appreciated.

Better question: which answer choice would you pick if not (D)?

Can you make the case that the verb tense is a little confusing in (D)? Sure. Can you make the case that the past tense is warranted? Absolutely (kudos to AjiteshArun and AndrewN for their explanations on this issue!) -- the production of the body of work happened in the past, so it's not unreasonable to say that the body of work produced in the past was rooted.

Even if we don't love the tense, that's not a strong enough reason to eliminate (D). The other choices have more flagrant errors that we can't ignore, so we have to live with (D), like it or not. :)

I hope that helps!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [2]
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
Send PM
Thelonious Monk, who was a jazz pianist and composer, produced a body [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
vikonomics wrote:
Shouldn't there be a comma after "Jazz pianist and composer" in option D? without comma isn't what "jazz pianist" modifying unclear? How can we say it's referring to Thelonious Monk

Hi vikonomics,

We use modifiers without commas all the time.

1. light music
2. Prime Minister Boris Johnson
3. a student in the class who has taken the GMAT

(2) uses an actual title, without a comma. We wouldn't want to go with something like "Prime Minister, Boris Johnson".
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [2]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
As for the question from TheUltimateWinner, if we add THE, we absolutely cannot add a comma. This would imply that he is THE ONLY jazz pianist and composer. To use this form, we'd need to restrict the modifier further to apply to just one person: "The jazz pianist and composer most frequently copied by contemporary artists, Thelonious Monk . . . "

We also can't add a comma without THE. We'd only add a comma if we started with "A jazz pianist and composer," and even then, this would create something more like an adverbial modifier, in which we'd be showing WHY/HOW he was able to do what he did. For instance, I might say "A gifted composer, Monk could come up with enough solid material for an entire album in one sitting." Sure, that initial modifier describes Monk, but it's also providing context for the specific ideas that follow. We don't have a need for this type of construction in the sentence as presented.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1368 [1]
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Thelonious Monk, who was a jazz pianist and composer, produced a body of work both rooted in the stride-piano tradition of Willie (The Lion) Smith and Duke Ellington, yet in many ways he stood apart from the mainstream jazz repertory.

1) The use of the relative pronoun is not correct. 2) The current placement of "both" suggests that the work should be rooted in something else in addition to the tradition. Eliminate A, B, E, and C (for the same modifier error).

A. Thelonious Monk, who was a jazz pianist and composer, produced a body of work both rooted

B. Thelonious Monk, the jazz pianist and composer, produced a body of work that was rooted both

C. Jazz pianist and composer Thelonious Monk, who produced a body of work rooted

D. Jazz pianist and composer Thelonious Monk produced a body of work that was rooted

E. Jazz pianist and composer Thelonious Monk produced a body of work rooted both

Originally posted by OptimusPrepJanielle on 01 Jul 2015, 02:38.
Last edited by OptimusPrepJanielle on 01 Jul 2015, 03:35, edited 1 time in total.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7627 [1]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM