Last visit was: 08 May 2024, 23:23 It is currently 08 May 2024, 23:23

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Difficulty: 605-655 Levelx   Modifiersx   Parallelismx                                 
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4684 [1]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Target Test Prep Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 507 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Send PM
Re: Thelonious Monk, who was a jazz pianist and composer, produced a body [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
jim441 wrote:
In D, don't we need a comma after "Jazz pianist and composer" and before "Thelonious Monk", othewise it would look like two subjects, Jazz pianist ( 1st subject) and composer Thelonious Monk (2nd subject)

Hello jim441,

We hope this finds you well.

To answer your query, for "Jazz Pianist" to even ambiguously refer to a separate person, it would need to be preceded by an article such as "a" or "the"; as the sentence is structured, "Jazz pianist" and "composer" are clearly modifiers acting upon "Thelonious Monk".

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
Send PM
Re: Thelonious Monk, who was a jazz pianist and composer, produced a body [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
TheUltimateWinner wrote:
Quote:
Thelonious Monk, who was a jazz pianist and composer, produced a body of work both rooted in the stride-piano tradition of Willie (The Lion) Smith and Duke Ellington, yet in many ways he stood apart from the mainstream jazz repertory.

(A) Thelonious Monk, who was a jazz pianist and composer, produced a body of work both rooted
(B) Thelonious Monk, the jazz pianist and composer, produced a body of work that was rooted both
(C) Jazz pianist and composer Thelonious Monk, who produced a body of work rooted
(D) Jazz pianist and composer Thelonious Monk produced a body of work that was rooted
(E) Jazz pianist and composer Thelonious Monk produced a body of work rooted both

Hi Experts,
What if the choice B is written with following format?
(B) The jazz pianist and composer, Thelonious Monk produced a body of work that was rooted both
Thanks__

Hello TheUltimateWinner,

To answer your query, your edited version of B is correct, though a bit awkward.

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4667 [1]
Given Kudos: 635
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
TheUltimateWinner wrote:
Hello AjiteshArun,
Can I have feedback from you of course if you have a time?
Thanks___

Hi TheUltimateWinner,

The question doesn't test this issue, but I don't agree with ExpertsGlobal5 here.

ExpertsGlobal5 wrote:
TheUltimateWinner wrote:
Thanks for the support. But, if we remove the article the then the sentence will be wrong, right?
Here is the new version:
Jazz pianist and composer, Thelonious Monk produced a body of work that was rooted both

Hello TheUltimateWinner,

To answer your query, no; the removal of "the" does not make the sentence incorrect; the inclusion of the comma between the phrase "Jazz pianist and composer" and the noun it modifies - "Thelonious Monk" - is unnecessary but not incorrect.

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team

If we use a comma, we absolutely need an article in this case (we can't say Jazz pianist and composer, Thelonious Monk produced a body of work). It'd be good to see more opinions on this though.
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7783 [1]
Given Kudos: 56
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Short answer: no commas! :)

Longer answer: As AjiteshArun has shown, it's very normal to put a modifier directly before someone's name (without a comma) to indicate what the person is known for. In many cases, this involves more than one modifier joined with AND: "actress and singer Doris Day." We might even have a list of modifiers, in which case we would have commas. Here's a quote from NPR's recent obituary of the great Harry Belafonte. (Notice that NPR doesn't use the Oxford Comma, so we only see a comma after the first item.) "Singer, actor and human rights activist Harry Belafonte died Tuesday at age 96 of congestive heart failure."

It's important to realize that in none of these cases do we have any ambiguity. We are only talking about one person! This is typically true in real-world sentences, and it is even more true on the GMAT. Since SC questions always present ONE stand-alone sentence with no other context, we'll never see a sentence that just mentions some random, unnamed pianist before moving on to talk about a named person. That provides no clarity for the reader, so any interpretation based on the idea that this would occur should be thrown out. From there, we can know with certainty that "Jazz pianist and composer" are two modifiers for Thelonious Monk. (And what a great pianist and composer he was!)
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
TheUltimateWinner

It's very normal to see things that CAN be verbs appear as modifiers. I'm sure you see this all the time! For instance, we might say "I stopped to talk with a professor considered by many to be the foremost authority on Mesopotamian pottery." How can we tell that "considered" is a modifier, and specifically an adjective modifying "professor"? First, it makes sense that the professor IS CONSIDERED an expert, rather than that the professor WAS CONSIDERING some other expert. The latter would be a strange and confusing thing to say. Second, a verb wouldn't work structurally here. Before "considered," we have a subject, a verb, and an object. We can't just tack on another verb. If we WERE writing about a professor WHO CONSIDERED someone else, we'd need to start a modifier before introducing a verb: "I met a professor WHO CONSIDERED Yoko Ono to be the greatest composer of all time."

Looking back at the original example, we can see that the same things are going on. First, nothing is ROOTING anything. Neither Monk nor the body of work ROOTED anything. In fact, no one can root a body of work in a tradition. To say that the work WAS ROOTED in a tradition just means that it HAS ITS ROOTS in that tradition. It's like saying a day was "filled with happiness." That doesn't mean someone actually filled the day with happiness. It's just describing the day. Second, if the work DID root something, we'd need a bridging modifier: "He created a body of work WHICH ROOTED." As it stands, all 5 choices say that the work was rooted, either by attaching ROOTED directly to WORK (A/C/E) or by saying "work that was rooted" (B/D). So in all the answers, ROOTED describes the body of work. That makes it an adjective.
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
TheUltimateWinner

These are interesting questions you're answering, but I think it's important not to ignore the underlying content of the sentence. The sentence is about one person: Thelonious Monk. Whatever we say in the modifier, that doesn't change that he is the singular subject of the sentence.

We could actually do what you're saying if the "the composer" portion was used to introduce a modifier: "A jazz pianist and the composer of such classics as 'Round Midnight and Ruby, My Dear, Thelonious Monk produced . . . "

Both parts of that initial modifier still describe Monk, who is one person. I could imagine having a compound modifier that applies to two people in the subject, but it would be a little weird: "A pianist and a saxophone player, Thelonious Monk and John Coltrane produced . . . " I don't think the GMAT would do that, because it isn't terribly clear. We'd at least need "respectively" after "player" to indicate that the modifiers were meant to refer to the two subjects in turn, but it would be more elegant to apply them directly where they belong: "Thelonious Monk, a pianist, and John Coltrane, a saxophone player," or "Pianist Thelonious Monk and saxophonist John Coltrane."
IIM School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1242 [0]
Given Kudos: 1207
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
Hi Experts GMATNinja mikemcgarry

GMAT Qs are a bit funny sometimes, except that they cost a lot!!
Do we not actually need a BOTH after verb-ed modifier - rooted?
None of sentences have below format:
Thelonious Monk, who was a jazz pianist and composer, produced a body of work
rooted both in the stride-piano tradition of Willie (The Lion) Smith and in Duke
Ellington, yet in many ways he stood apart from the mainstream jazz repertory.
But this too sound incorrect too me.

OA simply eliminates usage of
BOTH if BOTH in not used in correct idiom as : BOTH x and y (x and y: noun phrases)
Any views on the same?
WR, Arpit
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30865 [0]
Given Kudos: 637
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Expert Reply
valepm wrote:
Just with the knowledge of the STRICT PARALLEL RULE of "both x and y" we know that A, B, and E are incorrect. X and Y have to be in the same form.

My reasoning of why C is incorrect.
(C) Jazz pianist and composer Thelonious Monk, who produced a body of work rooted

Lets look at it as a complete sentence: Jazz pianist and composer Thelonious Monk, who produced a body of work rooted in the stride-piano tradition of Willie (The Lion) Smith and Duke Ellington, yetin many ways he stood apart from the mainstream jazz repertory. -- "who produced a body of work rooted tin the stride..." is correctly modifying Thelonius. HOWEVER, this is a descriptive phrase and DPs are not necessary they are "fluff" and if eliminated the WHOLE sentence must make sense.

So when we eliminate it we get this sentence: Jazz pianist and composer Thelonious Monk, yet in many ways he stood apart from the mainstream jazz repertor. --See why it doesn't make sense? this is a comparison In order to be correct the first phrase must say something that is parallel to "yet (fluff) he stood..."

(D) Jazz pianist and composer Thelonious Monk produced a body of work that was rooted

Jazz pianist and composer Thelonious Monk produced a body of work that was rooted in the stride-piano tradition of Willie (The Lion) Smith and Duke Ellington, yet in many ways he stood apart from the mainstream jazz repertory. <-- correct comparison.

Hello valepm,

You have presented your analysis with the right thought-process. So kudos for that. :-)

Just adding my two cents. The sentence presents contrast evident by the usage of the word yet.

It is true that Choice C fails to present the intended contrast because there is no verb associated with the subject Thelonious Monk. So yes, Choice C has a missing verb for the subject.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha
Tutor
Affiliations: Harvard University, A.B. with honors in Government, 2002
Own Kudos [?]: 2422 [0]
Given Kudos: 273
GMAT 1: 770 Q47 V48
GMAT 2: 730 Q44 V47
GMAT 3: 750 Q50 V42
GMAT 4: 730 Q48 V42 (Online)
GRE 1: Q168 V169

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Thelonious Monk, who was a jazz pianist and composer, produced a body of work both rooted in the stride-piano tradition of Willie (The Lion) Smith and Duke Ellington, yet in many ways he stood apart from the mainstream jazz repertory.

A. Thelonious Monk, who was a jazz pianist and composer, produced a body of work both rooted
B. Thelonious Monk, the jazz pianist and composer, produced a body of work that was rooted both
C. Jazz pianist and composer Thelonious Monk, who produced a body of work rooted
D. Jazz pianist and composer Thelonious Monk produced a body of work that was rooted
E. Jazz pianist and composer Thelonious Monk produced a body of work rooted both

CHOICE A: There is nothing technically incorrect with the first 9 words of this sentence, but in general, you should prioritize ACTION VERBS such as "produced" and "stood apart" to VERBS OF BEING / LINKING VERBS such as "was," because verbs of being can often be skipped altogether. For example, "I liked the house that was blue" is unnecessary; instead one should say "I liked the blue house." In addition, "jazz pianist and composer" is Monk's title, and as such should be placed immediately next to his name if possible. For example, "Architect Frank Gehry..." is a better sentence opener than "Frank Gehry, the architect, ..." Finally, we should note that the word "both" does not work here, despite the fact that two musicians are mentioned at the end of the sentence. See the explanation of Choice E for more information on this.

CHOICE B: This is better than Choice A because the "who was" is removed, but it has the same problem as does Choice A with regard to the unnecessary separation between the person ("Monk") and his title ("jazz pianist and composer"), as well as the "both" issue explained in the analysis of Choice E.

CHOICE C: This cannot be correct, because the use of the modifier "who," which takes its own verb ("produced") and thus removes the main verb from the first part of the sentence. For example, "My friend, who owns a coffeeshop, yet he still finds time to practice the drums." is incorrect because of the ", who ____ ." In addition, there is no need to put a comma between the main subject of the sentence ("Monk") and its verb ("produced").

CHOICE D: Correct! It properly addresses both the flaws of the Choice A (unnecessary comma between the person and his title, unnecessary verb of being) and is the best choice here, though the "that was" at the end is unnecessary.

CHOICE E: This is a decoy answer that is very close to working (it does improve on Choice D in the omission of "that was"), but if you use the expression "(adjective) both in A and (in) B," then the first part of the expression needs to carry over to the second. It doesn't make sense to write "a body of work rooted both in the stride piano tradition of Willie Smith and Duke Ellington, yet..."--you can't be "rooted in Duke Ellington," because unlike the first example ("rooted in the stride piano tradition"), Duke Ellington is a person and not a musical style--this answer choice is incorrect. Thus, you could consider this to be a parallel structure error, or a faulty comparison.

For example (incorrect): "I am immersed in both the art of teaching math and English, yet I still have much to learn." Just because I wrote "math and English" doesn't mean that the "both" is correct. I am immersed in only one thing in this sentence--the art of teaching, whether or not that art consists of multiple elements (math and English). Hence I should remove the word "both" entirely, or put it before the word "math": "I am immersed in the art of teaching (both) math and English, yet I still have much to learn."

CORRECT VERSION: Jazz pianist and composer Thelonious Monk produced a body of work that was rooted in the stride-piano tradition of Willie (The Lion) Smith and Duke Ellington, yet in many ways he stood apart from the mainstream jazz repertory.

PERFECT VERSION: Jazz pianist and composer Thelonious Monk produced a body of work rooted in the stride-piano tradition of Willie (The Lion) Smith and Duke Ellington, yet in many ways he stood apart from the mainstream jazz repertory.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 77 [0]
Given Kudos: 273
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V38
GPA: 3.34
Send PM
sayantanc2k

I have questions regarding (D) & (E).
It seems to me that "Jazz pianist and composer Thelonious Monk" are two different people. 1.) Jazz pianist 2.) composer Thelonious Monk.

Can verbal experts help me clarify my confusion? To my understanding, it is X and Y. Each side of the word "and" is parallel to one another and represents different value.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Isn't the correct answer choice incorrectly implying that the two persons, "Jazz pianist" and "composer Thelonious Monk" produced a body of work that was rooted....?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 52
Send PM
Hi,

Isn't Option D supposed to have a comma after 'Jazz pianist and composer' as it describes Thelonious Monk.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [0]
Given Kudos: 315
GMAT 1: 570 Q42 V29
Send PM
Hey arun@crackverbal Thank You for the reply. Great explanation!

I have one last confusion that I want to resolve. (Hope it doesn't sound silly)

You used the example: Chairman and Managing Director, Mr.Mukesh Ambani produced a great result for his shareholders.

"Mr. Mukesh Ambani.....", modifies the preceding sentence which is very clear to me because it immediately follows "Chairman and Managing Director" after a "comma" which clearly takes the role of a modifier in this case.

However, the lack of comma in option D tripped me. If the option D were given as follows then I would have no confusion in understanding the meaning of the sentence:
Option D: Jazz pianist and composer, Thelonious Monk produced a body of work that was rooted

My question is, does the presence of a "comma" play any role in our case?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 37
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
Send PM
D. Jazz pianist and composer Thelonious Monk produced a body of work that was rooted.

Shouldn't there be a comma after Jazz pianist and composer, Thelonious Monk.

Can anyone explain
Own Kudos [?]: 7783 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
hspruthi76 No, we don't want a comma. We'd use a comma if we started with an article ("a") and were using "A jazz pianist and composer" to set up or justify the action that follows:

A jazz pianist and composer, Thelonious Monk was able to play thousands of songs from memory.

To get a feel for the difference, take a look at these examples:

The governor of California, Gavin Newsom, gave a press conference today. (The comma creates an appositive--we're naming the governor.)
California governor Gavin Newsom gave a press conferene today. (Gavin Newsom is the subject, and the preceding modifier explains his role.)
New York chef Chloe Coscarelli is famous for her vegan cupcakes. (Chloe is the subject, and again the first part just explains who she is.)
The greatest guitar player of all time, Jimi Hendrix, died at age 27. (We can cut Jimi's name out and have a complete sentence, but we put his name in to explain who the greatest player is.)
A gifted physicist, my cousin was able to solve differential equations at age 6.
My gifted physicist cousin was able to solve differential equations at age 6.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 336
Schools: ISB '23 (S)
GMAT 1: 560 Q43 V23
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V33
GMAT 3: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.64
Send PM
GMATNinja Thank you for the explaination. I have seen a youtube video that has the question.

I need some clarity with regards to the correct answer choice. Option D starts off by " Jazz Pianist and composer Thelonius Monk" the first time I read the answer choices I though that these are 2 people as per choice D i.e the "Jazz Pianist" and "composer Thelonius Monk". I have seen questions where this kind of strcuture is correct and I thought this was not the intended meaning. And this was the only reason I eliminated C, D and E. And was figuring out the right answer between choices A and B.

I do understand why the rest of the answer choices are incorrect but I would like to know where is my understanding not correct.

Thank you.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [0]
Given Kudos: 529
Send PM
Isn't (D), also showing that there are 2 subjects "Jazz pianist" and "Thelonious Monk"?
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6922 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts