Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 06:22 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 06:22

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2724 [12]
Given Kudos: 1477
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 640 Q40 V37
GMAT 2: 650 Q43 V36
GMAT 3: 600 Q47 V27
GPA: 3.3
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31947 [2]
Given Kudos: 290
Send PM
Math Revolution GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 16598 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V42
GPA: 3.82
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1441 [1]
Given Kudos: 994
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT Date: 02-18-2019
GPA: 3.4
WE:Engineering (Consulting)
Send PM
Re: There are 8 red tegu lizards in the reptile house at a local zoo. If [#permalink]
Kudos
Official explanation:

The correct response is (D). We know that average = sum of terms / # of terms. Therefore the sum of all the lizards’ lengths is 80 inches. Statement (1) tells us that none are shorter than 10 inches. If this is true, they must all be 10 inches or more. Since we have 8 lizards total, each of the lizards must be 10 inches. Sufficient. Statement (2) is sufficient for a similar reason. If none of the lizards are longer than 10 inches, then they must all be 10 inches. Sufficient.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 559 [0]
Given Kudos: 74
Concentration: General Management, International Business
GMAT 1: 570 Q49 V20
GPA: 3.97
WE:Engineering (Education)
Send PM
Re: There are 8 red tegu lizards in the reptile house at a local zoo. If [#permalink]
shasadou wrote:
There are 8 red tegu lizards in the reptile house at a local zoo. If the average length of the red tegu lizards is 10 inches, then how many of the red tegu lizards are exactly 10 inches long?

(1) None of the red tegu lizards are shorter than 10 inches.

(2) None of the red tegu lizards are longer than 10 inches.

When the average length is 10, there are 2 possibilities; either all lengths are 10, or some lengths more and some lengths less than 10

(1) Lengths are not shorter than 10, which implies all lengths are 10. Sufficient

(2) Lengths are not longer than 10, which implies all lengths are 10. Sufficient

D is correct.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7628 [1]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
Kudos
When a question gives you data about the number of values in a data set and the mean of the data set, that’s actually very valuable data. Because, it lets you find the sum of the values in a data set and hence gives you a constraint to work with.

In this question, the number of values in the data set (related to the length of the tegu lizards) is 8 and the average length is 10 inches. Therefore, the sum of the lengths of all the lizards = 8 * 10 = 80 inches.
This means we have 8 values that should add up to 80. Of these 8 values, we are trying to find how many values are equal to 10.

From statement I alone, none of the lizards are shorter than 10 inches. This is only possible by taking all of the values as 10. No other combination of values will satisfy all constraints specified.

For example, if we consider 4 lizards to be 10 inches long, the remaining 4 have to have heights other than 10. If we consider two lizards to be more than 10 inches long, then there will be two lizards which will be less than 10 inches long, which is not possible according to the data given in statement I.

Therefore, we can conclusively say that all the 8 red lizards should be 10 inches long. This is sufficient to answer the question asked.
Statement I alone is sufficient, so, possible answers are A or D. Answer options B, C and E can be eliminated.

From statement II alone, none of the lizards are longer than 10 inches. Again, in a similar way, we can say that this is satisfied only when all the lizards are of the same length and that is 10 inches.
Statement II alone is sufficient. Answer option A can be eliminated.

The correct answer option is D.

If you observe carefully, the individual statements are giving you information about the minimum and maximum values of the lengths of the lizards. When you couple this information with a constraint like the one given in the question (i.e. the sum should be 80), it’s easy pickings. The only combination that will fit will be the one with all values equal. This is a commonly tested concept (equalizing values to maximise or minimize) on the GMAT.

Hope that helps!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 226
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.57
Send PM
Bunuel Can you pls solve this doubt for me. for the second statement, I thought that since the total sum should be 80 it would e perfectly fine to have 7 lizards of 8 cm each and 1 of 24 cm. The average remains the same and thus i chose option A. Can you pls tell me why this is wrong?
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619164 [1]
Given Kudos: 81609
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
sanya2711 wrote:
Bunuel Can you pls solve this doubt for me. for the second statement, I thought that since the total sum should be 80 it would e perfectly fine to have 7 lizards of 8 cm each and 1 of 24 cm. The average remains the same and thus i chose option A. Can you pls tell me why this is wrong?

(2) says "None of the red tegu lizards are longer than 10 inches", so a lizard cannot be 24 inches long.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 226
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.57
Send PM
There are 8 red tegu lizards in the reptile house at a local zoo. If [#permalink]
Bunuel wrote:
sanya2711 wrote:

(2) says "None of the red tegu lizards are longer than 10 inches", so a lizard cannot be 24 inches long.

Thanks Bunuel !!! Totally missed that.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 822 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
92933 posts