Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 06:13 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 06:13

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63671 [1]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 148
GMAT 1: 600 Q47 V27
GRE 1: Q160 V150
GPA: 2.7
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1586 [0]
Given Kudos: 579
Concentration: Operations, Finance
GPA: 3.35
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Re: There are two theories that have been used to explain ancient and mode [#permalink]
I am unable to understand the passage because of which I got 4 questions wrong. Can someone pls help with an explanation of the passage
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 846 [0]
Given Kudos: 381
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V29
GPA: 3.81
Send PM
Re: There are two theories that have been used to explain ancient and mode [#permalink]
Quote:
4. Which of the following comparisons of the tragic with the ironic hero is best supported by information contained in the passage?

Quote:
the more ignoble the hero the sharper the irony,
It is heroism that creates the splendor and exhilaration that is unique to tragedy.

Quote:
D. A tragic hero and an ironic hero cannot both be virtuous figures in the same tragedy.

Doesn’t it indicate that Heroism and irony can’t go hand in hand, so I choose D.

Quote:
E. A tragic hero is usually extraordinary, but an ironic hero may be cowardly or even villainous.

A tragic hero is usually extraordinary, is TRUE but I don’t see anything specifically written about ironic hero , so I rejected E

Please suggest. GMATNinja VeritasKarishma
VP
VP
Send PM
Quote:
7. In the author's opinion, an act of humility in comedy is most analogous to

But such hubris is only the precipitating agent of catastrophe, just as in comedy the cause of the happy ending is usually some act of humility, often performed by a noble character who is meanly disguised.
Quote:
C. a tragic hero's pride and passion
D. a tragic hero's aversion to sin

Hubris means Overbearing pride or presumption

As humility causes happy ending in comedy
Hubris causes catastrophe

C is positive in sense
Should not the answer be D: ( negative meaning matching with hubris : overpride )
Pride and passion are positive words but the sentence implies negative sense so Why D is not an answer?

please help GMATNinja VeritasKarishma bm2201
VP
VP
Send PM
Hi AndrewN sir VeritasKarishma ma'm

I was little bit lost in wordings and phrases of passage. Please check whether my understanding of meaning is correct?

Quote:
There are two theories that have been used to
⠀⠀⠀ explain ancient and modern tragedy.

1. Here tragedy refers to some novels/dramas/act that ends in sad ending?

Quote:
Secondarily, this theory
⠀⠀⠀ of tragedy does not distinguish tragedy from irony.

2. Irony here refers to some novels/drams that don’t end as per expectations?

Quote:
⠀⠀⠀ . The tragic hero normally has an
⠀⠀⠀ extraordinary, often a nearly divine, destiny almost
⠀⠀⠀ within grasp, and the glory of that original destiny
(30) never quite fades out of the tragedy.

3. Here it refers that tragic hero never falls out of bad endings because the destiny is determined in their minds?

Quote:
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀The second theory of tragedy states that the
⠀⠀⠀ act that sets the tragic process in motion must be
⠀⠀⠀ primarily a violation of moral law, whether human
⠀⠀⠀ or divine;

4. whether human or divine; refers to human or divine act? am I right?

Quote:
just as in comedy the cause
⠀⠀⠀ of the happy ending is usually some act of humility,
⠀⠀⠀ often performed by a noble character who is meanly
⠀⠀⠀ disguised.

5. Here as cause of happy ending, some act of humility is needed ? Is it? But in general humility ( negative term) should not be required for happy ending?

6. How did you deduce the right meaning of tragic, ironic , tragic hero and ironic hero. It took me a while to figure it out that it is talking about some dramas/act. Initially , i was trying to make sense out of it with meanings of these words as use in real time : tragic ( something bad happen) ; irony ( satire) ; tragic/ironic hero ( couldn't infer meaning).
Please suggest .

Thanks!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 279
Concentration: Technology, Statistics
WE:Analyst (Computer Software)
Send PM
Yes, the passage is a little hard to grasp, but half the questions are pretty straight-forward. GMAT tends to give passages that tire you as you read the passage, in an attempt to trick you into making mistakes when you get to the questions : Typical GMAT style. Moral of the story: Keep your calm and focus on the main idea of each paragraph. It is okay to not understand a few words or sentences. You can still get the questions right through POE.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 2287 [0]
Given Kudos: 66
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V45
GMAT 2: 780 Q50 V47
GMAT 3: 770 Q50 V45
Send PM
Expert Reply
Video solution from Quant Reasoning:
Subscribe for more: https://www.youtube.com/QuantReasoning? ... irmation=1
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 553
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33
GMAT 2: 720 Q47 V42 (Online)
GPA: 4
Send PM
In my honest opinion, this is a very hard passage.
In fact, it comes from GMAT Advanced.

Got all 7 Questions correct, however, it took me TWENTY minutes to solve.
I usually go through POE for each question, but in some cases for this passage it is very difficult to cross off all the 4 Incorrect choices.

By applying logic and reading very carefully through the lines of the passage, the whole thing becomes a lot easier.

It is very difficult to understand every detail because some paragraphs present very abstract concepts, which are quite difficult to grasp.

Focusing on the big picture and on the point of the author is always the key.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Send PM
suminha wrote:
I have trouble to understand the details in the passage.

The organization is quite simple, but I have problem to make the detail informations simple.
I usually paraphrase infos and make a chart in my brain, but this seems impossible in this passage.

Does anyone can explain the passage please?

Me too!

What does external fate (tragic condition) and internal condition (tragic process) mean in real life?
Can any one take some examples?
Let's say a hero died helping someone. Does it mean because the hero "helped"(internal) someone, he faced a situation(external) to die? Is the author saying that he died because he had good moral sense and it's not an external fate?

Also, is the author saying that irony is not tragedy and it should be distinguished from it?

Personally this is one undecipherable passage I've ever encountered ... maybe because I wouldn't care what the definitions of tragedy are, nor want to criticize one of those.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13961 posts