Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 00:09 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 00:09

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619079 [54]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 286 [23]
Given Kudos: 124
Schools: ISB '18
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
Send PM
Verbal Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8810 [7]
Given Kudos: 171
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.2
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 296 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Re: There is a 10% chance that Tigers will not win at all during the whole [#permalink]
The question is asking what the chance is that BOTH events occur (Tigers win AND Federer plays). To find this we need the respective probabilities of each event.
Chance that the Tigers do not win = 10%. This means that the chance that the Tigers win at least once is 1-10% = 90%
Chance that Federer doesn't play = 20%. This means that the chance that Federer does play is 1-20% = 80%

So the probability of BOTH events occurring is 90% * 80% = 72%

Answer D

Unless I'm misinterpreting the question, since I find the wording a little strange. It is redundant and ambiguous to say the "maximum possible probability" in a situation where the probability is not a dependent variable. Here we are told exactly what the probabilities are, so in my interpretation of the question, it should have simply asked "What is the probability that the Tigers will win and Federer will play during the season?"
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [1]
Given Kudos: 616
Schools: Tepper '18
Send PM
Re: There is a 10% chance that Tigers will not win at all during the whole [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Skywalker18 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
There is a 10% chance that Tigers will not win at all during the whole season. There is a 20% chance that Federer will not play at all in the whole season. What is the greatest possible probability that the Tigers will win and Federer will play during the season?

(A) 55%
(B) 60%
(C) 70%
(D) 72%
(E) 80%

Kudos for a correct solution.

There is a 10% chance that Tigers will not win at all during the whole season
We can infer that there is 90% chance Tigers will win .
Similarly There is a 20% chance that Federer will not play at all in the whole season
We can also infer that there is 80% chance that Federer will play.

Answer E

I do not understand this completely,i'm afraid.!!
I attempted this problem in the following way

Tigers will not win = 10%, which means Tigers will win =90% = 9/10
Federer will not play = 20% which means Federer will play = 80% = 80/100 = 4/5

Probability of both occurring is 9/10*4/5 =18*25 = 72%

But this is the wrong answer. Are we assuming that the GREATEST probability of both occurring is Federer wins all the games that he plays (80%)? Please suggest.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Send PM
I was about to go with simple .9 * .8 approach but then the keyword not at all and the question will comes into picture.
So IMO, it should be 1-((prob of not playing)*(prob of not wining)),
which is 1-((.2)*(.1)) = 80%
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31935 [1]
Given Kudos: 290
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
MeghaP wrote:
Skywalker18 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
There is a 10% chance that Tigers will not win at all during the whole season. There is a 20% chance that Federer will not play at all in the whole season. What is the greatest possible probability that the Tigers will win and Federer will play during the season?

(A) 55%
(B) 60%
(C) 70%
(D) 72%
(E) 80%

There is a 10% chance that Tigers will not win at all during the whole season
We can infer that there is 90% chance Tigers will win .
Similarly There is a 20% chance that Federer will not play at all in the whole season
We can also infer that there is 80% chance that Federer will play.

Answer E

I do not understand this completely,i'm afraid.!!
I attempted this problem in the following way

Tigers will not win = 10%, which means Tigers will win =90% = 9/10
Federer will not play = 20% which means Federer will play = 80% = 80/100 = 4/5

Probability of both occurring is 9/10*4/5 =18*25 = 72%

But this is the wrong answer. Are we assuming that the GREATEST probability of both occurring is Federer wins all the games that he plays (80%)? Please suggest.

Hi,
you are correct that the probability for two INDEPENDENT events are P(A)*P(B)
and here it should be 72%..

May be the Q means that the greatest possiblity where you have control over happening of events..

So here, the entire playing by Federer happens when Tigers wins..
In other terms Federer playing is a subset of Tigers wins..
so greatest possiblity will be equal to the lesser of two, which is 80%
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Given Kudos: 41
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V37
GPA: 3.2
WE:Information Technology (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:

(A) 55%
(B) 60%
(C) 70%
(D) 72%
(E) 80%

Bunuel,

can you please tell exact logic behind this question and how we detect this type of question to apply correct logic.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 165
Send PM
Got it wrong on the first go. Had considered each event to be independent and left out the greatest possibility aside and came up with
(prob of roger playing)*(prob of tiger wining)
.9*.8=.72*100=72%

However below is correct
1-((prob of federer not playing)*(prob of tiger not wining)),
which is 1-((.2)*(.1)) = .8*100=80%
Bunuel can you please confirm if "greatest possibility" in Problem statement is the keyword to identify the right solution here.
Please advise.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
I would really hope that the GMAT would include more information on how/whether the two events are related if they put this on an actual exam. We don't even know if the Tigers and Federer play the same sport (and note how the question uses a well-known baseball team name with a well-known tennis player's name to further lead one to believe they are playing in different leagues). I get that it says "greatest probability," but I think at least mentioning that Federer plays for the Tigers is a basic piece of information that would make the question a fair one to ask.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 798 [0]
Given Kudos: 76
GPA: 4
WE:Engineering (Transportation)
Send PM
FB2017 wrote:
Got it wrong on the first go. Had considered each event to be independent and left out the greatest possibility aside and came up with
(prob of roger playing)*(prob of tiger wining)
.9*.8=.72*100=72%

However below is correct
1-((prob of federer not playing)*(prob of tiger not wining)),
which is 1-((.2)*(.1)) = .8*100=80%
Bunuel can you please confirm if "greatest possibility" in Problem statement is the keyword to identify the right solution here.
Please advise.

Hi FB2017

i can see a mistake in your calculation ... which is 1-0.2 = 0.8 , whereas 1-(0.2x0.1) is 1-0.02 = 0.98 ?????

----------------------------------------------
Hello Bunuel

what is wrong in the concept which i applied
P(win) =0.9
P(play) = 0.8
2 independent events , P ( win and play) = 0.9x0.8 = 0.72
is this probability of both events ( independent) occuring is wrong??? kindly advise. or the OA is wrong?
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619079 [2]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Kudos