Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 02:29 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 02:29

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
MBA Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 1036 [0]
Given Kudos: 63
Schools: ISB (A)
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 29936 [0]
Given Kudos: 799
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11668 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: Time Management [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi medis,

Since you've been studying for just 2 weeks, pacing shouldn't be a concern at this point - you have too much in the way of content and Tactics to learn before pacing should be your focus. Right now, your goal should be on doing efficient, organized and Tactical work - with the added goal of minimizing the silly/little mistakes. You also have to train to 'play around' with questions that you don't immediately see a solution for - because you'll face that challenge a number of times on the GMAT, in Business School and beyond.

1) What were your Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores on this first CAT?
2) What is your goal score?
3) When are you planning to take the GMAT?
4) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
5) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [0]
Given Kudos: 110
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 620 Q47 V28
GMAT 2: 640 Q48 V28
GMAT 3: 680 Q49 V35
WE:Engineering (Real Estate)
Send PM
medis wrote:
Hello everyone!

I'm having a consistent issue with time management, (even in prior academia) I seem to finish with extra time in both quant. and verbal. This issue is more apparent in the quant. section, but has anyone had experience with this? If so how did you overcome it? I practice questions with a hand held timer and I usually finish with extra time. I finished the OG quant. section with more than 10 minutes to spare, which was quite alarming!

I definitely have an issue with patience, if i dont understand a problem I will get antsy and search for answers. I also make careless mistakes even when I understand the concept, which is very frustrating. I have tried to slow down and think about the problem more thoroughly but my mind is always telling me to go faster. Sometimes, I dont have a clue where to start (I starting studying 2 weeks ago with the magoosh GMAT prep course so the material is relatively new to me). I scored a 550 on the first test, but I think with better time management and a full review of all the material, I can significantly improve my score. Thanks for any advice!

Try the MGMAT Cats. THey have a good feature where you can limit the time taken per each question to 2m or 2m20s then it cuts it automatically and shows you the next question. First, get a hang of the time required so you pace yourself at around 2m per question then later you can disable this feature and see if you are already "programmed" to finish solving and pick a question and move on.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hi Brent,

Thanks for that video! I was definitely guilty of clock watching, remembering that table should really help.

Hi Rich, your definitely right about the "playing around", I found that i learn material much better when I started to struggle through the questions Ive been getting wrong on Magoosh. I just started to implement this strategy and I'm also breaking down specific portions of the questions I'm struggling with and why. From now on, when I get MGMAT questions wrong, I will struggle through possible answers before referring to the explanations. Thank you for your comment it was really helpful and affirmed something I should have been doing even if its a little time consuming.
In regards to your question,
1. Quant. 31 Verbal 35
2. 700
3. Jul 1st
4. Next year
5. UCLA,USC, and NYU are currently on my short list.

I'm only studying math until I complete the magoosh lessons at which point I will begin my verbal prep.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11668 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi medis,

A 550 is a solid initial CAT score (the average score on the Official GMAT hovers around 540-550 most years). You also appear to have given yourself plenty of time to study - which is good. I suggest that you actually do 'some Quant and some Verbal' each week though (as opposed to the "all of one, then all of the other" that you're planning). You'll likely find it easier to retain everything overall if you're doing a mix of subjects. You should plan to take a new FULL-LENGTH CAT (with the Essay and IR sections) in about 2 weeks and report back with your score. We can then discuss any adjustments that you might need to make to your study plan.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Math Revolution GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 16598 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V42
GPA: 3.82
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi medis

No worries!
You can surely increase your speed and eventually hit at least 49 or above just like 90% of our students as long as you follow our study guide properly​.
Since we are specialized in math, we provide you with guidance on math.

If your percentage of getting correct answers is high, solving questions quickly is not an issue at all. However, with the conventional approach, it is extremely difficult to solve all 37 questions in 75 minutes. Since you have some time to spare, it seems like you solve questions not correctly and properly without understanding the questions.

In fact, GMAT Math is logic math test, rather than math skill test. That's why students majoring in engineering or math have hard time in improving math scores. You should learn 'logic' to solve GMAT math. It is not surprising to hear that you have time management issue. With the conventional method, it take ages to solve questions and is very inefficient. Hence, you need to learn the logic with us to tackle GMAT math questions.

With our unique approaches of ​Variable approach for DS and IVY approach for PS, you can significantly save time, and improve accuracy at the same time.

For instance, with our approaches​, you can solve questions that normally take 4 minutes in 1 minutes and 30 seconds, and 2-minute question in 30 seconds.
Also, You can solve DS questions 100% with Variable approach and 30-40% of PS questions with IVY approach. With the approaches, you can surely hit 50 or above.

Based on the score, it seems like your basic maths skill are not good enough. It is very crucial for you to build solid basic math skills first. If you don't get the first basic questions correct, you never get to see difficult questions, which lead you to hit 49-51. Therefore, having solid basic math skills is critical for you which you can learn from Math Review, ​a ​part of our course package. After that, we highly recommend learning our ​world's first unique ​approaches. ​Since GMAT takers are busy for their work and don't have enough time to study, you don't need to learn all about general math skills including the ones that don't appear on actual exam.
We teach 'must-know' math skills that are required for GMAT math. We don't teach something else. ​

If you are not confident carrying on with the course on your own, you can also consider private tutoring. Our private tutoring is highly effective, but the lowest price in the market. ($​90-​100 per hour)​. https://www.mathrevolution.com/gmat/online_02tutoring

If you would like to try our approaches, Please try Trial Pack (4 hour lesson) that reveal our secret approaches of DS+PS core theory that you have never seen. You can test whether you like them or not before you enroll.

Additionally, the below is useful article featured in GMAT Club for your reference. This will be helpful for you.

· Most Updated Math Trend : https://gmatclub.com/forum/overview-of-g ... 11809.html

Also, we would like to share the link below.
This is not testimonial but just comments of our students' real voice after they take an exam.
https://gmatclub.com/forum/math-revoluti ... 24118.html
You can also do the same if you study with us!

Come visit our website for further information!
www.mathrevolution.com

Happy Studying!

Jin
Math Revolution
GMAT Club Bot