Last visit was: 04 May 2024, 13:44 It is currently 04 May 2024, 13:44

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42107 [28]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8565 [6]
Given Kudos: 123
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Strategy, Other
GMAT Date: 06-24-2013
Send PM
Re: Although unhappy with the high rent her company was paying [#permalink]
IndianExpress wrote:
I eliminated A,B and C based on the absence of "that while D on the presence of "there" (at the end). Can anybody tell me if my approach was correct or not?

Are A, B and C incorrect only because of missing "that".
Can some expert help me to understand the structure of A, B and C
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8565 [7]
Given Kudos: 123
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Mission2012 wrote:
IndianExpress wrote:
I eliminated A,B and C based on the absence of "that while D on the presence of "there" (at the end). Can anybody tell me if my approach was correct or not?

Are A, B and C incorrect only because of missing "that".
Can some expert help me to understand the structure of A, B and C

A, B and C are wrong. As far as I know, you want to know what's wrong with them, correct?

Although unhappy with the high rent her company was paying for its suburban office building, the chief executive recognized rental rates for buildings in the suburbs as far lower than it typically is for property that is located within the city limits.

(A) rental rates for buildings in the suburbs as far lower than it typically is for property that is located within the city limits

>>> Wrong. comparison "as...as", not "as .... than". "it" is incorrect, should be "rates" (plural) or "those for"

(B) rental rates for buildings in the suburbs as being far lower than what the rates typically charged within the city limits had been for property located there

>>> Wrong. comparison "as...as", not "as .... than". Also "there" changes the meaning of the sentence. The use of "what" is redundant.

(C) rental rates typically being charged for property located within the city limits to be far lower as they typically were within the city limits for the property there.

>>> Wrong. "being charged" is wrong grammar. Wrong comparison "to be far lower as", doesn't make any sense. The structure should be "as...as" or "lower.... than", not "lower as"

Hope it helps a little bit.
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 32952 [2]
Given Kudos: 4465
Send PM
Kudos
Here we are..........this is the exact question above. Is a clear example of the words' usage "although" and "that"

Quote:
Although energy prices have tripled in the United States over the last two years, research indicates few people to
have significantly reduced the amount of driving they do, nor are they making
fuel efficiency a priority when
shopping for cars.

A. few people to have significantly reduced the amount of driving they do, nor are they making
B. few people having significantly reduced the amount of driving they do or made
C. that there are few people who have significantly reduced the amount of driving they do, nor having made
D. that few people have significantly reduced the amount of driving they do and are not making
E. that few people have significantly reduced the amount of driving they do or made

Infact based on the meaning the OA is E....notice the structure

here the OE

Quote:
Indicates that… A, B out
C: not having made is not parallel to anything else.
Between D and E:
There's a problem of meaning here. Let me illustrate with an analogy.
Few of these animals eat or drink during the harsh daylight hours
--> this sentence would mean that the animals
do neither of these activities, in the main, during daylight hours.
few of these animals eat and avoid drinking during the harsh daylight hours
--> the sentence would mean that
there are few animals that do both of these things, but leaves open the possibility that many, or perhaps even a
majority, do one or the other. Also, this wording is hopelessly awkward, but it probably takes a native speaker's
ear to discern that fact.
the last two choices of the problem exhibit the same sort of issue. The intended meaning is that people are doing
either of these activities, so (e) is the only one of these two choices to correctly represent this meaning
E says: that few people have significantly reduced the amount of driving they do or made
Here…
“have significantly reduced” OR “(have significantly) MADE”… May not look parallel but are absolutely parallel.
“The amount of driving they do” is just a NOUN… so don’t try to make DO parallel to anything.
they're using it idiomatically here. you can "do a lot of driving", in the same way you can "do a lot of homework".
do notice that the identical construction appears in all five choices, so that it's actually irrelevant to the solution of
the problem.
yes, "do that amount of driving" is the idea here.

For reference see the following link

https://gmat-grammar.blogspot.it/2006/06 ... hough.html

Hope this helps
Verbal Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8821 [0]
Given Kudos: 171
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.2
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Although unhappy with the high rent her company was paying for its suburban office building, the chief executive recognized rental rates for buildings in the suburbs as far lower than it typically is for property that is located within the city limits.

(A) rental rates for buildings in the suburbs as far lower than it typically is for property that is located within the city limits - that is needed; as far lower than is incorrect
(B) rental rates for buildings in the suburbs as being far lower than what the rates typically charged within the city limits had been for property located there - same as A ; as being far lower than is incorrect
(C) rental rates typically being charged for property located within the city limits to be far lower as they typically were within the city limits for the property there - same as A
(D) that rental rates for buildings in the suburbs were far lower than rental rates typically being charged within the city limits for property located there -being and redundant
(E) that rental rates for buildings in the suburbs were far lower than those typically charged for property located within the city limits - Correct

Answer E
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30852 [1]
Given Kudos: 637
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Skywalker18 wrote:

(A) rental rates for buildings in the suburbs as far lower than it typically is for property that is located within the city limits - that is needed; as far lower than is incorrect
(B) rental rates for buildings in the suburbs as being far lower than what the rates typically charged within the city limits had been for property located there - same as A ; as being far lower than is incorrect
(C) rental rates typically being charged for property located within the city limits to be far lower as they typically were within the city limits for the property there - same as A
(D) that rental rates for buildings in the suburbs were far lower than rental rates typically being charged within the city limits for property located there -being and redundant
(E) that rental rates for buildings in the suburbs were far lower than those typically charged for property located within the city limits - Correct

Answer E

Hello Skywalker18,

You have presented a really good analysis of all the answer choices. Keep up the good work. :thumbup:

I just want to say that there is no redundancy error in Choice D. This choice is incorrect for using being as a modifier for rental rates. GMAT SC does not accept the use of being as a modifier.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [1]
Given Kudos: 44
Send PM