GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 16 Aug 2018, 06:43

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Although unhappy with the high rent her company was paying

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Retired Moderator
D
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Although unhappy with the high rent her company was paying  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 09 Jun 2016, 12:20
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

89% (00:43) correct 11% (00:34) wrong based on 727 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Although unhappy with the high rent her company was paying for its suburban office building, the chief executive recognized rental rates for buildings in the suburbs as far lower than it typically is for property that is located within the city limits.

(A) rental rates for buildings in the suburbs as far lower than it typically is for property that is located within the city limits
(B) rental rates for buildings in the suburbs as being far lower than what the rates typically charged within the city limits had been for property located there
(C) rental rates typically being charged for property located within the city limits to be far lower as they typically were within the city limits for the property there
(D) that rental rates for buildings in the suburbs were far lower than rental rates typically being charged within the city limits for property located there
(E) that rental rates for buildings in the suburbs were far lower than those typically charged for property located within the city limits

A) rental rates for buildings in the suburbs as far lower than it typically is for property that is located within the city limits --- The use of present tense is an error.

(B) rental rates for buildings in the suburbs as being far lower than what the rates typically charged within the city limits had been for property located there. ----There is a faulty comparison. The comparison seems to be between the urban rentals (had been) of some earlier period with the suburban rentals of some unspecified period.

(C) rental rates typically being charged for property located within the city limits to be far lower as they typically were within the city limits for the property there— a comparison using ‘lower’ entails than.

In addition, it is necessary to add the connector ‘that’ in reported speeches. So A, B and C are inappropriate

(D) that rental rates for buildings in the suburbs were far lower than rental rates typically being charged within the city limits for property located there --- wrong because of the superfluous ‘ being ‘

(E) that rental rates for buildings in the suburbs were far lower than those typically charged for property located within the city limits – Right choice

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

Originally posted by daagh on 13 Apr 2013, 23:57.
Last edited by Vyshak on 09 Jun 2016, 12:20, edited 1 time in total.
Added questionn and hid the explanation
Retired Moderator
Premium Member
Re: Although unhappy with the high rent her company was paying  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Apr 2013, 01:51
rakeshd347 wrote:
Although unhappy with the high rent her company was paying for its suburban office building, the chief executive recognized rental rates for buildings in the suburbs as far lower than it typically is for property that is located within the city limits.

(A) rental rates for buildings in the suburbs as far lower than it typically is for property that is located within the city limits
(B) rental rates for buildings in the suburbs as being far lower than what the rates typically charged within the city limits had been for property located there
(C) rental rates typically being charged for property located within the city limits to be far lower as they typically were within the city limits for the property there
(D) that rental rates for buildings in the suburbs were far lower than rental rates typically being charged within the city limits for property located there
(E) that rental rates for buildings in the suburbs were far lower than those typically charged for property located within the city limits

KUDOS will encourage me to post more new challenging questions :)

+1 for E.

"That" is necessary. "recognize that" is right idiom.
Narrow down to D, E.
D is wrong because of "there" at the end of the sentence. It changes meaning.
E is correct.
Parallelism & Verb-modifier:
that rental rates........ lower than those typically charged................within the city limits

Hope it helps.

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMW Chief of Design.

Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35

Show Tags

New post 14 Apr 2013, 09:52
I eliminated A,B and C based on the absence of "that while D on the presence of "there" (at the end). Can anybody tell me if my approach was correct or not?
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Other
GMAT Date: 06-24-2013
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 14 Apr 2013, 11:41
IndianExpress wrote:
I eliminated A,B and C based on the absence of "that while D on the presence of "there" (at the end). Can anybody tell me if my approach was correct or not?

Are A, B and C incorrect only because of missing "that".
Can some expert help me to understand the structure of A, B and C
Retired Moderator
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 14 Apr 2013, 12:11
Mission2012 wrote:
IndianExpress wrote:

Are A, B and C incorrect only because of missing "that".
Can some expert help me to understand the structure of A, B and C

A, B and C are wrong. As far as I know, you want to know what's wrong with them, correct?

>>> Wrong. comparison "as...as", not "as .... than". "it" is incorrect, should be "rates" (plural) or "those for"

>>> Wrong. comparison "as...as", not "as .... than". Also "there" changes the meaning of the sentence. The use of "what" is redundant.

(C) rental rates typically being charged for property located within the city limits to be far lower as they typically were within the city limits for the property there.

>>> Wrong. "being charged" is wrong grammar. Wrong comparison "to be far lower as", doesn't make any sense. The structure should be "as...as" or "lower.... than", not "lower as"

Hope it helps a little bit.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Board of Directors
P
Although unhappy with the high rent her company was paying  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Apr 2013, 12:22
pqhai wrote:
rakeshd347 wrote:

+1 for E.

Narrow down to D, E.
E is correct.
that rental rates........ lower than those typically charged................within the city limits

Hope it helps.

But even if do not remember the idiom you can still reach and beat a 700 level question understanding completely the meaning

For instance I remember few idioms BUT if I read although bla bla...the subject THEN do WHAT --> THAT something bla bla bla

D is wrong structured

E must be the answer

regards

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS AND RESOURCES
Quant: 1. ALL GMATPrep questions Quant/Verbal 2. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 3. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 4. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version 5. MGMAT Study Hall Thursdays with Ron Quant Videos
Verbal:1. Verbal question bank and directories by Carcass 2. MGMAT Study Hall Thursdays with Ron Verbal Videos 3. Critical Reasoning_Oldy but goldy question banks 4. Sentence Correction_Oldy but goldy question banks 5. Reading-comprehension_Oldy but goldy question banks

Retired Moderator
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 14 Apr 2013, 12:30
carcass wrote:
pqhai wrote:
rakeshd347 wrote:

+1 for E.

Narrow down to D, E.
E is correct.

Hope it helps.

But even if do not remember the idion you can still reach and beat a 700 level question understanding completely the meaning

For instance I remeber few idioms BUT id I read although bla bla...the subject THEN do WHAT --> THAT something bla bla bla

D is wrong structured

E must be the answer

regards

@Carcass:
Thank you so much. If you don't mind, can you provide a particular example of the structure you've just mentioned. It would help me a lot.
Regards.

Board of Directors
P

Show Tags

New post 14 Apr 2013, 12:41
Board of Directors
P

Show Tags

New post 14 Apr 2013, 12:53
Here we are..........this is the exact question above. Is a clear example of the words' usage "although" and "that"

Quote:
Although energy prices have tripled in the United States over the last two years, research indicates few people to
have significantly reduced the amount of driving they do, nor are they making
fuel efficiency a priority when
shopping for cars.

A. few people to have significantly reduced the amount of driving they do, nor are they making
B. few people having significantly reduced the amount of driving they do or made
C. that there are few people who have significantly reduced the amount of driving they do, nor having made
D. that few people have significantly reduced the amount of driving they do and are not making
E. that few people have significantly reduced the amount of driving they do or made

Infact based on the meaning the OA is E....notice the structure

here the OE

Quote:
Indicates that… A, B out
C: not having made is not parallel to anything else.
Between D and E:
There's a problem of meaning here. Let me illustrate with an analogy.
Few of these animals eat or drink during the harsh daylight hours
--> this sentence would mean that the animals
do neither of these activities, in the main, during daylight hours.
few of these animals eat and avoid drinking during the harsh daylight hours
--> the sentence would mean that
there are few animals that do both of these things, but leaves open the possibility that many, or perhaps even a
majority, do one or the other. Also, this wording is hopelessly awkward, but it probably takes a native speaker's
ear to discern that fact.
the last two choices of the problem exhibit the same sort of issue. The intended meaning is that people are doing
either of these activities, so (e) is the only one of these two choices to correctly represent this meaning
E says: that few people have significantly reduced the amount of driving they do or made
Here…
“have significantly reduced” OR “(have significantly) MADE”… May not look parallel but are absolutely parallel.
“The amount of driving they do” is just a NOUN… so don’t try to make DO parallel to anything.
they're using it idiomatically here. you can "do a lot of driving", in the same way you can "do a lot of homework".
do notice that the identical construction appears in all five choices, so that it's actually irrelevant to the solution of
the problem.
yes, "do that amount of driving" is the idea here.

For reference see the following link

http://gmat-grammar.blogspot.it/2006/06 ... hough.html

Hope this helps

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS AND RESOURCES
Quant: 1. ALL GMATPrep questions Quant/Verbal 2. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 3. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 4. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version 5. MGMAT Study Hall Thursdays with Ron Quant Videos
Verbal:1. Verbal question bank and directories by Carcass 2. MGMAT Study Hall Thursdays with Ron Verbal Videos 3. Critical Reasoning_Oldy but goldy question banks 4. Sentence Correction_Oldy but goldy question banks 5. Reading-comprehension_Oldy but goldy question banks

Retired Moderator
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 14 Apr 2013, 13:09
@Carcass.
Thanks so much for your help. I do get the idea of the structure "although". I doubt that many people will fall in this kind of trap. Structure is pivotal.

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Marketing, Leadership
Schools: University of Dhaka - Class of 2010
GPA: 3.63
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)

Show Tags

New post 05 Nov 2013, 19:23
Question is not available. Just explanation from Daagh is appearing. May be poster have deleted it. I request moderators to post it again.

Practice Makes a Man Perfect. Practice. Practice. Practice......Perfectly

Critical Reasoning: http://gmatclub.com/forum/best-critical-reasoning-shortcuts-notes-tips-91280.html

Collections of MGMAT CAT: http://gmatclub.com/forum/collections-of-mgmat-cat-math-152750.html

MGMAT SC SUMMARY: http://gmatclub.com/forum/mgmat-sc-summary-of-fourth-edition-152753.html

Sentence Correction: http://gmatclub.com/forum/sentence-correction-strategies-and-notes-91218.html

Arithmatic & Algebra: http://gmatclub.com/forum/arithmatic-algebra-93678.html

Helpful Geometry formula sheet: http://gmatclub.com/forum/best-geometry-93676.html

I hope these will help to understand the basic concepts & strategies. Please Click ON KUDOS Button.

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, Other
Schools: Berkeley Haas
GMAT Date: 01-14-2015
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 03 Nov 2014, 10:40
pqhai wrote:
rakeshd347 wrote:

+1 for E.

Narrow down to D, E.
E is correct.

Hope it helps.

I can clearly understand D is wrong because of the usage of being ... but could some one explain to me why the "there" in D changes the meaning ?
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 570 Q50 V19
GMAT 2: 650 Q49 V28
GMAT 3: 690 Q50 V34
WE: Information Technology (Investment Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 28 Dec 2014, 11:27
In E, we have those typically charged for property.

"Those" is a pronoun used for noun "rates". We can have one rate for a property so shouldn't "property" be "properties"?

Middle of nowhere!

Intern
Intern
B
GPA: 4
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 18 May 2015, 23:30
daagh wrote:
A) rental rates for buildings in the suburbs as far lower than it typically is for property that is located within the city limits --- The use of present tense is an error.

(B) rental rates for buildings in the suburbs as being far lower than what the rates typically charged within the city limits had been for property located there. ----There is a faulty comparison. The comparison seems to be between the urban rentals (had been) of some earlier period with the suburban rentals of some unspecified period.

(C) rental rates typically being charged for property located within the city limits to be far lower as they typically were within the city limits for the property there— a comparison using ‘lower’ entails than.

In addition, it is necessary to add the connector ‘that’ in reported speeches. So A, B and C are inappropriate

(D) that rental rates for buildings in the suburbs were far lower than rental rates typically being charged within the city limits for property located there --- wrong because of the superfluous ‘ being ‘

(E) that rental rates for buildings in the suburbs were far lower than those typically charged for property located within the city limits – Right choice

Did CEO recognise rental rates? Or CEO recognised fact that rental rates ..... etc. (meaning is important)
If CEO does not recognise rental rates, then recognised is not used as a verb but used as a modifier. However, if recognised is a modifier then what is the verb of the clause? There is no verb. Hence use of CEO recognised rental rates is wrong.

A – it (singular) – refers to rental rates (plural)

B – had been – it is used as if... then consustruciont. However, in that case, the clause should use would + have been form (which is absent here), hence, use of had been is wrong.

C & D correctly uses recognised with that.

C – being charged for property etc. Means it is an ongoing activity of charging rental. However, intended meaning is to showcase a fact which was observed in the past. Also use of property located there sounds wordy.

D – correct choice.
VP
VP
P
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V36
GRE 1: Q157 V157
GPA: 3.4
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 05 Jul 2017, 08:13
Imo E
We need that because of reported speech , so A , B , C are out .
Out of D and E , D is wrong for using being

Please give kudos if you found my answers useful

Verbal Forum Moderator
V
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Kelley '20, ISB '19
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 29 Nov 2017, 09:25

(A) rental rates for buildings in the suburbs as far lower than it typically is for property that is located within the city limits - that is needed; as far lower than is incorrect
(B) rental rates for buildings in the suburbs as being far lower than what the rates typically charged within the city limits had been for property located there - same as A ; as being far lower than is incorrect
(C) rental rates typically being charged for property located within the city limits to be far lower as they typically were within the city limits for the property there - same as A
(D) that rental rates for buildings in the suburbs were far lower than rental rates typically being charged within the city limits for property located there -being and redundant
(E) that rental rates for buildings in the suburbs were far lower than those typically charged for property located within the city limits - Correct

Answer E

When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it. - Henry Ford
The Moment You Think About Giving Up, Think Of The Reason Why You Held On So Long
+1 Kudos if you find this post helpful

Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: Finance, Technology
Schools: CBS '20
GMAT 1: 640 Q43 V35
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 29 Nov 2017, 09:43
Correct answer is E.

Thanks carcass for the explanation of the pattern. Also does anyone know the difficulty level of the question.

If you must err, err on the side of hope.
I believe in your success

Board of Directors
P

Show Tags

New post 29 Nov 2017, 10:52
Top Contributor
e-GMAT Representative
G

Show Tags

New post 29 Nov 2017, 15:48
Skywalker18 wrote:

(A) rental rates for buildings in the suburbs as far lower than it typically is for property that is located within the city limits - that is needed; as far lower than is incorrect
(B) rental rates for buildings in the suburbs as being far lower than what the rates typically charged within the city limits had been for property located there - same as A ; as being far lower than is incorrect
(C) rental rates typically being charged for property located within the city limits to be far lower as they typically were within the city limits for the property there - same as A
(D) that rental rates for buildings in the suburbs were far lower than rental rates typically being charged within the city limits for property located there -being and redundant
(E) that rental rates for buildings in the suburbs were far lower than those typically charged for property located within the city limits - Correct

Answer E

Hello Skywalker18,

You have presented a really good analysis of all the answer choices. Keep up the good work. :thumbup:

I just want to say that there is no redundancy error in Choice D. This choice is incorrect for using being as a modifier for rental rates. GMAT SC does not accept the use of being as a modifier.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha

| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 29 Nov 2017, 17:28

1. Being only correct in GMAT if it meants "in process of". Usage here, therefore, is incorrect
2. for clarify, the two portions marked in red need to be as close as possible to each other.

On another note, in my view, usage of "as" in some other options is incorrect because "as" is used to introduce a new clause and in this usage it means: because.
Re: Although unhappy with the high rent her company was paying &nbs [#permalink] 29 Nov 2017, 17:28

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 23 posts ] 

Although unhappy with the high rent her company was paying

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap