Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 20:15 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 20:15

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42105 [33]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 788 [11]
Given Kudos: 70
General Discussion
MBA Section Director
Affiliations: GMAT Club
Own Kudos [?]: 10013 [4]
Given Kudos: 4542
Test: Test
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42105 [2]
Send PM
Re: A one-million-year-old skull bearing traits associated both [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
(A) both with Homo erectus and, in addition, Homo sapiens has been found in the Afar region of Eritrea, and indicates ---- both and in addition is unparallel as per norms of correlative conjunction and hence, wrong;

(B) both with Homo erectus and Homo sapiens have been found in the Afar region of Eritrea, which indicates ---The plural ‘ have been found’ does not go in tandem with the singular ‘skull’ . parallelism of correlative conjunction ‘both--- and” has gone astray - wrong

(C) with both Homo erectus and Homo sapiens has been found in the Afar region of Eritrea, indicating --- The above errors have been amended and is the correct choice.

(D) with both Homo erectus and Homo sapiens and found in the Afar region of Eritrea, indicating --- This is an awful fragment

(E) with both Homo erectus and Homo sapiens have been found in the Afar region of Eritrea, which indicates --- 1. S V error ; 2. wrong modification of 'which'
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [0]
Given Kudos: 206
Send PM
daagh wrote:
A one-million-year-old skull bearing traits associated both with Homo erectus and, in addition, Homo sapiens has been found in the Afar region of Eritrea, and indicates that modern humans developed much earlier than previously thought.

(A) both with Homo erectus and, in addition, Homo sapiens has been found in the Afar region of Eritrea, and indicates
(B) both with Homo erectus and Homo sapiens have been found in the Afar region of Eritrea, which indicates
(C) with both Homo erectus and Homo sapiens has been found in the Afar region of Eritrea, indicating
(D) with both Homo erectus and Homo sapiens and found in the Afar region of Eritrea, indicating
(E) with both Homo erectus and Homo sapiens have been found in the Afar region of Eritrea, which indicates

Hello sir, I will appear in GMAT on september 1st 2017, I am not good with verbals. As you are experienced , so can u please help me by step by step ways by which i can at least score 38 in verbals...Currently my verbal score is 20. I mess up a lot in SC and RC.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 6123 [0]
Given Kudos: 65
Send PM
rocko911 wrote:
daagh wrote:
A one-million-year-old skull bearing traits associated both with Homo erectus and, in addition, Homo sapiens has been found in the Afar region of Eritrea, and indicates that modern humans developed much earlier than previously thought.

(A) both with Homo erectus and, in addition, Homo sapiens has been found in the Afar region of Eritrea, and indicates
(B) both with Homo erectus and Homo sapiens have been found in the Afar region of Eritrea, which indicates
(C) with both Homo erectus and Homo sapiens has been found in the Afar region of Eritrea, indicating
(D) with both Homo erectus and Homo sapiens and found in the Afar region of Eritrea, indicating
(E) with both Homo erectus and Homo sapiens have been found in the Afar region of Eritrea, which indicates

Hello sir, I will appear in GMAT on september 1st 2017, I am not good with verbals. As you are experienced , so can u please help me by step by step ways by which i can at least score 38 in verbals...Currently my verbal score is 20. I mess up a lot in SC and RC.

Your question should be posted in here
https://gmatclub.com/forum/ask-gmat-exp ... 6/?fl=menu
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 264 [0]
Given Kudos: 308
Send PM
A one-million-year-old skull bearing traits associated both [#permalink]
daagh wrote:

Use idiom :- Both X and Y.
Option A and B can be eliminated. Both "with Homo erectus and in addition " violates the "Both X and Y" principle. Same error is in B.
Left with C , D , E.
E uses wrong "have been" for singular "skull". Also "which" indicates "Eritrea".
D does not have a working verb.

C is correct.
Please give me kudo s if you liked my explanation.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
daagh wrote:

sir i have a doubt that how has been is correct as its was found in past but has been means that finding is still continue and will continue in future....Please help me as soon as possible
thanks in advance
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42105 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
'Has been' is used for something started in the near past and still continuing now. Since this discovery is still being discussed, it has relevance to the present.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
daagh wrote:
'Has been' is used for something started in the near past and still continuing now. Since this discovery is still being discussed, it has relevance to the present.

but this sentence is simply saying has been found its not talking about our discussion. And i think something is found once only not for a time period secondly it is not something that its effect is still continued.....
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 696 [0]
Given Kudos: 156
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33
Send PM
A one-million-year-old skull bearing traits is this singular or plural? I can see only C stands out.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42105 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Rishab

"Found" as a past particples does not refer to tense. The tense comes from the verb of the clause. Examples:
1. Plenty of oil has been found off-shore in India -- Now can we argue, all that oil has vanished now?
2. Since the past couple of years, several evidences found in Africa indicate that Africans are the first human being. Especially archeological findings are ever-evolving, dynamic facts. There is no finiteness in that science.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Given Kudos: 52
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V32
GPA: 4
WE:Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM

Quote:

the use of " in addition " is redundant. A is out.
Quote:

A one-million-year-old skull .... has been found . Subject verb agreement fails.
B is out.
Quote:

Subject verb agreement is fine. indicating modifies traits . Clean sentence.
Quote:

and found is not OK.
Quote:

Subject verb agreement fails. have been is used instead of has been.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 104 [0]
Given Kudos: 105
Send PM
Even if we are not aware of this particular idiom it can be solved via verb tense
Only option A and C uses verb Has: singular : required for "A one-million-year-old skull ".
Option B,D,E uses have, Hence incorrect

Option A , in addition makes it run-on sentence.
Only clear option is C

IMO C
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [0]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Expert Reply
rishab0507 wrote:
Option A , in addition makes it run-on sentence.

Thought I would mention that A is not a run-on sentence.

A run-on sentence is when the sentence comprises two Independent clauses connected by just a comma. That's not the case with A.

A has an issue with parallelism (the correct structure is with both X and Y, and not both with X and Y).

p.s. Our book EducationAisle Sentence Correction Nirvana discusses run-on sentences, their application and examples in significant detail. If you or someone is interested, PM me your email-id; I can mail the corresponding section.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [0]
Given Kudos: 195
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
Send PM
Hi GMATGuruNY

Could you please help with this question?

daagh wrote:

The timeframe of "comma + V_ing" must be the same as that of the nearest action and its agent. Yet, the skull "has been found" (in the past) although its effect has something to do with present: the timeframe is in the past. And the timeframe of "comma + indicating" is also in the past accordintg to the rule of "comma+V_ing". Yet, from the context, "indicating" seems to be in the present: The skull should still indicate something.

I mean that from the context, the verb, "has been found", took place in th past and "indicating" is in the present. Yet, according to the rule of "comma + V_ing", the timeframes must be the same.

Could you explain why "comma + V_ing" is correct in (C)?

Thank you very much beforehand!
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 3136 [2]
Given Kudos: 9
Schools:Dartmouth College
Send PM
A one-million-year-old skull bearing traits associated both [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Ilhomjon98 wrote:
Could you explain why "comma + V_ing" is correct in (C)?

OA: A one-million-year-old skull bearing traits associated with both Homo erectus and Homo sapiens has been found in the Afar region of Eritrea, indicating that modern humans developed much earlier than previously thought.
Here, the blue VERBing action is concurrent with the preceding present perfect action in green.
Both actions happened in the past but affect the present.
Even though the act of indicating happened in the past, it affects our knowledge in the present: because of this action, we now know that humans developed much earlier than previously thought.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts