Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 11:52 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 11:52

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel

Which one should I choose?

You may select 1 option
Tags:
Find Similar Topics  Add a Tag
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72892 [0]
Given Kudos: 18869
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 502 [1]
Given Kudos: 250
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
WE:Marketing (Computer Software)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 76 [0]
Given Kudos: 36
Send PM
UCLA Anderson with $50k vs. NYU Stern with $0 scholarship [#permalink]
If finance is your goal, Stern it is. I live in New York City now and not all the kids going to school in the city (NYU or Columbia or Baruch or Fordham or Pace) don’t live around their school-they live in Brooklyn or other affordable neighborhoods. Subway is easy and fast travel, so you could live anywhere and reach your school in time and get to network with other kids/alums. Also there ain’t a better city than NYC to network.

Now LA is one of my favorite cities, there isn’t a better city for food (even a simple Leo’s Taco Truck is better than anything that you’ll eat in any city and the Korean food there is to die for). Now that said, it’s isn’t a city for finance. You’ll make more $ in NYC in the first year of your job to cover the $70k difference.

Public transport will let you network with CFOs, consulting firms, bankers and even fin tech companies. All tech, media, finance, consulting companies have their presence in NYC. NYU is a target school for all companies-so it’s an easy pick
If you were talking about better food, I would pick LA.

Posted from my mobile device

Originally posted by JohnJohnJ on 19 Jan 2020, 22:05.
Last edited by JohnJohnJ on 20 Jan 2020, 16:55, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: UCLA Anderson with $50k vs. NYU Stern with $0 scholarship [#permalink]
bb wrote:
Congrats on your admits! What makes you think that corporate finance jobs would not be STEM-eligible?

As far as I understood, typical corporate finance jobs (e.g. FP&A, budgeting, etc.) that are not closely linked to 'hard' science (e.g. data analytics, statistics, etc.) would not qualify. Am I wrong?

variantguy wrote:
Hi, congrats on the admits!

Just to add an update on STEM comparison - Anderson MBA is soon going to be STEM-designated too. This is straight from Dean Rob in the NYC admit dinner: "We are almost certain the graduating class of 2020 will have their degree STEM certified. There is no way the class of 2022 will not have a STEM certificate in their degree. Haas having done it in four months makes things much easier for us."

Good luck with your decision making and who knows, we both might meet in LA! :)

Wow that's really awesome to hear! Not gonna lie, if I was wrong on corporate finance jobs not qualifying for STEM OPT then UCLA Anderson becomes a no-brainier for me!
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72892 [1]
Given Kudos: 18869
GPA: 3
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
IndexMatch91 wrote:
bb wrote:
Congrats on your admits! What makes you think that corporate finance jobs would not be STEM-eligible?

As far as I understood, typical corporate finance jobs (e.g. FP&A, budgeting, etc.) that are not closely linked to 'hard' science (e.g. data analytics, statistics, etc.) would not qualify. Am I wrong?

variantguy wrote:
Hi, congrats on the admits!

Just to add an update on STEM comparison - Anderson MBA is soon going to be STEM-designated too. This is straight from Dean Rob in the NYC admit dinner: "We are almost certain the graduating class of 2020 will have their degree STEM certified. There is no way the class of 2022 will not have a STEM certificate in their degree. Haas having done it in four months makes things much easier for us."

Good luck with your decision making and who knows, we both might meet in LA! :)

Wow that's really awesome to hear! Not gonna lie, if I was wrong on corporate finance jobs not qualifying for STEM OPT then UCLA Anderson becomes a no-brainier for me!

I think you are very legalistically reading into it. Which you have to take it with a grain of salt, the whole thing. What you get is called Optional Practical Training and if you review the whole act/details, you will see it constantly referring to your job as "training" and that is the first hint that things are not exactly as what they are. This is not training - you will be working for one of the companies. They will be training you on their systems, culture, and aspects of the job but it is not "training" in a traditional sense of the word. Obviously after you have worked for a year for the employer and they paid you a big sign up bonus plus invested their time and money, they will not want to just say "bye" and move on. They are equally motivated to keep you as an employee so your boss will be happy to adjust your job description to make it sound it more of scientist than a consultant. All jobs have STEM components to it; just depends on how highlight them.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
1131 posts