GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 17 Feb 2020, 16:51

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

UCLA Anderson with $50k vs. NYU Stern with $0 scholarship

new topic post reply Update application status  

Which one should I choose?

• 41% [10]
  • 58% [14]
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
UCLA Anderson with $50k vs. NYU Stern with $0 scholarship  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Jan 2020, 13:10
TL;DR: International student with corporate finance focus choosing between UCLA Anderson with $50,000 fellowship and NYU Stern with $0 scholarship.

Hi there,

Right now I’m choosing between Anderson with $50,000 fellowship and Stern with no scholarship and would greatly appreciate input form you guys and any advice or own experience that you could share. I’m especially interested in the perspective of international students who stayed on in the US after their MBA.

My background: 28 years old, born and raised in Eastern Europe, CFA Charterholder, 4+ years as an investment banker at a local IB shop (mostly DCM and M&A), 2+ years before that as an auditor at Big 4. BBA from local university.

MBA situation: 720 at GMAT, planned major/concentration: finance and entrepreneurship.

Post-MBA plans: I plan to work at a corporate finance function of a large corporation in the US for 5+ years, then go back to the old country as a senior executive.

Financing: will have to take out a student loan to cover 100% of costs. I’m very sensitive to taking on too much debt. Minimizing the loan size and maximizing US visa/job chances is a priority.

Here is my analysis so far:

Financing: over two years Stern costs c. $20,000 more in tuition alone compered with Anderson. Add $50,000 fellowship to that and Stern will cost me at least $70,000 more compared to Anderson. So Anderson is clear winner here.

Career prospects: Stern is better known for its finance practice and lots of graduates go to wall street and corporate finance prospects are good too, however plenty of Anderson graduates land corporate finance jobs too. Points to Stern here.

Visa: Stern’s MBA has a STEM designation which means that on top of one year working right for every F1 visa-holders graduates with relevant post-MBA job can apply for Optional Practical Training program and get two more years of work in the US. While this is pretty huge good as H1B visas are getting a lot harder to obtain nowadays, most corporate finance jobs don't fall under STEM so I don't think this is that useful in my situation. Still, Stern’s a winner here.

Location: personally, I prefer LA to NY in terms of weather and laid-back attitude, but I can live with both. Total living costs are probably comparable: housing seems more expensive in NY, but I’ll have to get a car in LA. I’m ambivalent on this one.

Any point I’m missing or got wrong? How would you guys choose in my place?
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: UCLA Anderson with $50k vs. NYU Stern with $0 scholarship  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Jan 2020, 13:14
Congrats on your admits! What makes you think that corporate finance jobs would not be STEM-eligible?

Posted from my mobile device
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
WE: Marketing (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 19 Jan 2020, 13:21
Hi, congrats on the admits!

Just to add an update on STEM comparison - Anderson MBA is soon going to be STEM-designated too. This is straight from Dean Rob in the NYC admit dinner: "We are almost certain the graduating class of 2020 will have their degree STEM certified. There is no way the class of 2022 will not have a STEM certificate in their degree. Haas having done it in four months makes things much easier for us."

Good luck with your decision making and who knows, we both might meet in LA! :)

Is Berkeley Haas your dream school?
Join the applicant conversation on this thread.

My GMAT debrief: 12 weeks to 720 --> 3 weeks to 750
Manager
Manager
S
UCLA Anderson with $50k vs. NYU Stern with $0 scholarship  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 20 Jan 2020, 15:55
If finance is your goal, Stern it is. I live in New York City now and not all the kids going to school in the city (NYU or Columbia or Baruch or Fordham or Pace) don’t live around their school-they live in Brooklyn or other affordable neighborhoods. Subway is easy and fast travel, so you could live anywhere and reach your school in time and get to network with other kids/alums. Also there ain’t a better city than NYC to network.

Now LA is one of my favorite cities, there isn’t a better city for food (even a simple Leo’s Taco Truck is better than anything that you’ll eat in any city and the Korean food there is to die for). Now that said, it’s isn’t a city for finance. You’ll make more $ in NYC in the first year of your job to cover the $70k difference.

Public transport will let you network with CFOs, consulting firms, bankers and even fin tech companies. All tech, media, finance, consulting companies have their presence in NYC. NYU is a target school for all companies-so it’s an easy pick
If you were talking about better food, I would pick LA.

Originally posted by JohnJohnJ on 19 Jan 2020, 21:05.
Last edited by JohnJohnJ on 20 Jan 2020, 15:55, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 20 Jan 2020, 06:23
bb wrote:
Congrats on your admits! What makes you think that corporate finance jobs would not be STEM-eligible?

As far as I understood, typical corporate finance jobs (e.g. FP&A, budgeting, etc.) that are not closely linked to 'hard' science (e.g. data analytics, statistics, etc.) would not qualify. Am I wrong?

variantguy wrote:

Just to add an update on STEM comparison - Anderson MBA is soon going to be STEM-designated too. This is straight from Dean Rob in the NYC admit dinner: "We are almost certain the graduating class of 2020 will have their degree STEM certified. There is no way the class of 2022 will not have a STEM certificate in their degree. Haas having done it in four months makes things much easier for us."

Wow that's really awesome to hear! Not gonna lie, if I was wrong on corporate finance jobs not qualifying for STEM OPT then UCLA Anderson becomes a no-brainier for me!
Founder
Founder
V
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 28 Jan 2020, 08:29
IndexMatch91 wrote:
bb wrote:

As far as I understood, typical corporate finance jobs (e.g. FP&A, budgeting, etc.) that are not closely linked to 'hard' science (e.g. data analytics, statistics, etc.) would not qualify. Am I wrong?

variantguy wrote:

Wow that's really awesome to hear! Not gonna lie, if I was wrong on corporate finance jobs not qualifying for STEM OPT then UCLA Anderson becomes a no-brainier for me!

I think you are very legalistically reading into it. Which you have to take it with a grain of salt, the whole thing. What you get is called Optional Practical Training and if you review the whole act/details, you will see it constantly referring to your job as "training" and that is the first hint that things are not exactly as what they are. This is not training - you will be working for one of the companies. They will be training you on their systems, culture, and aspects of the job but it is not "training" in a traditional sense of the word. Obviously after you have worked for a year for the employer and they paid you a big sign up bonus plus invested their time and money, they will not want to just say "bye" and move on. They are equally motivated to keep you as an employee so your boss will be happy to adjust your job description to make it sound it more of scientist than a consultant. All jobs have STEM components to it; just depends on how highlight them.
Re: UCLA Anderson with $50k vs. NYU Stern with $0 scholarship   [#permalink] 28 Jan 2020, 08:29

UCLA Anderson with $50k vs. NYU Stern with $0 scholarship

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: billionaire, teleste